AML Script Editor for iClone 4?

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic43432.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Sherif.MyMail - 14 Years Ago
Hello,

I need a new motion file for an iProp (a Cat) for a movie but I see on the iClone Wiki that it says that the AML Script Editor is only for iClone 3.

Before I went to the iClone Wiki I tried many times, and failed, to use an AML file I created in iClone 4 Pro.

Will you be coming out with an AML Script Editor for iClone 4 and if so, when do you expect it?

In the meanwhile, how do we create specific motion files that we need for iProps?

Sherif
By animagic - 14 Years Ago
I didn't know it wasn't supposed to work in iClone 4 so now I understand why a script I created failed.

As iClone 4 can use other and even older AML files, I wonder what the problem is.  It's just an XML file so it should be easy to fix the editor.

Hi zuijlen,

We are also still waiting for the 3ds Max plugin for the 2010 version, right?

I have videos I need to finish so I am going to download the free trial of XML Spy Pro at http://www.altova.com/xmlspy.html

If that will allow me to do more than the AML Script Editor and if I can figure it out, then all the better.

Take care,

Sherif

Microsoft has something called XML NotePad, which is free. I have tried to compare AML files that work with the one I created, but up to now it is not clear to me what the difference is.  I know we have AML gurus on the forum so maybe they can step in.
By stuckon3d - 14 Years Ago
zuijlen (3/10/2010)
Microsoft has something called XML NotePad, whichis free. I have tried to compare AML files that work with the one I created, but up to now it is not clear to me what the difference is. I know we have AML gurus on the forum so maybe they can step in.

Hi Guys,
the XML and AML editors are nothing more than glorified text editors. The AML editor goes a step further and hides the scripting part that gets repeated a lot and let you just fill in the blanks to make it easier for you to make scripts. Technically you could just use note pad to fix things, but it is harder to find stuff and read the scripts.

Hope this helps,

Stuckon3d
Hi zuijlen,

Thanks for the link to the free XML software.

Originally I opened one of the AML files in Notepad to look at the code, that is when I saw "Created Using XML Spy Pro" so I took a look at it.

The bottom line is, I do not want to have to go through 10 pages and hundreds or thousands of lines of code just to adjust or create an animation for an Actor or iProp...

Whatever tool will save me hours of time and effort each week might just be worth the price.

I mean if an iProp doesn't come with the motions that you need for a movie, there is no other way but to create or edit an AML script, right?

Sherif.MyMail
It would be nice to get a response from RL on this...
Yea it definitely would.

If you have certain motion requirements for a movie story, but those motions aren't in the iProp you want to use, you have no way to create that motion now.

So what to do, abandon your movie, wait, change your story, use a different software program and buy content for it, take a couple months to learn an XML Editor program?

Sherif.MyMail
By Peter (RL) - 14 Years Ago
zuijlen (3/12/2010)
It would be nice to get a response from RL on this...

I'll find out where things are going with the AML Script Editor on Monday. I'll let you all know what I find out as soon as possible. Thanks for the feedback.

Appreciate that Peter.

Take care,

Sherif.MyMail
Anyone hear anything about the progress of the "AML Script Editor" for iClone 4 that we have been waiting for?

Sherif.MyMail
Hi Sherif,

There still isn't any real news on an update but certainly one is planned. The development team are aware of the issues with the current version and will hopefully get an update ready once 3DXchange 4.0 is released.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply.

3DXchange 4.0, great. I see that you folks are making some great improvements in many areas. Much appreciated.

Sherif
By codewarrior - 14 Years Ago
Hi there

I too am now looking around for a way to create AML files for iClone 4.

The wiki unfortunately does a fairly poor job of describing the XML itself.

There is no XML schema, there is no complete example and the descriptions of the XML elements are definitely not enough for a skilled programmer (I am a skilled programmer) to create an AML file for iClone 4 from scratch. There are a number of constants used in the file for example that aren't documented anywhere.

Luckily there are AML files shipped with iClone 4 that can be used as examples, but it's a poor substiture for real comprehensive documentation. Half of the documentation on the Wiki refers to the now broken AML editor tool.

When can we expect an update to the tool? I can understand that there are lots of wonderful new things about iClone 4 that your engineering people want to include in an updated tool, but how about just letting one of your programmers spend two days on an update to what is already there so it just produces files that are not broken? I can wait for new features to be supported, but right now I can't even produce AML files for iClone 4 that just support what could be done in iClone 3.

So what's new since the last post in March?

By jleao - 14 Years Ago
Yes, i really would like to use it. I think Reallusion should have taken care of that long time ago. First it AML script was promoted as a great tool, then a new iclone version was launched and there´s no fix to use it with this new version...for a long time already. Love iclone, love reallusion tools, but can´t understand the way they work.
Hi guys,

Agreed, absolutely.

An update that I would really like to see is one that would allow us to keyframe the scaling of the Actors and Props so that we can do stretch and squash animation and so on.

But I know that is not going to happen as they would probably need to change the entire structure of the Actors and Props or of the software.

So would the only way to create stretch and squash animations in iClone be to take it from 3ds Max first, and do the animation there, then bring it to iClone or to 3DXchange then to iClone? Probably.

So who has $4,000.00 they want to give me for 3ds Max so that I can create real animations in iClone 4?

Sherif.MyMail

Sadly I have no further information on a new version of AML Script Editor. I can tell you its on the "to do" list but sadly other projects are taking priority at the moment. Unsure

Hopefully I will have more news soon.

By Rampa - 14 Years Ago
Any word on whether or not we will ever be able to use this tool for iClone 4 and forward? It seems quite useful.
By jamye - 14 Years Ago
could i be added to the list, about aml i have asked in 2 previous postings about aml, i have found adobe dreamweaver could open the file. i was able to change the number associated with a parent xml and it showed new number in director mode and worked. tried to add file did not work
By Rampa - 14 Years Ago
Yes it creates usable files, but they need a little cleanup in a text editor. Open your AML file in Text Edit or similar (I just associated "AML" with Text Editor to make it easy), and look down towards the end of the document. You will see lines that look something like this:

ClipLocation>$\iClone Template\Motion\iMotion_Violet\Move\Walk\Walk_Forward.iMotion

(if its wrapped in this display, it is really one line, and there should be an "<" at the beginning, and an ">" at the end. They got knocked out when I posted.)

There should be only one "$" sign. I think the "$" sign is simply a way for the program to know to start looking at the directory path at the "\iClone Template" instead of the "C:\" The problem will be extra "$" signs at the beginning of the line like this:

ClipLocation>$$$$$$$$$$\iClone Template\Motion\iMotion_Violet\Move\Walk\Walk_Forward.iMotion

Sometimes you will get extra directory info between the "$" sign and the "\iClone Template" part of the directory path if you are using template motions that came with the program. If your motion files are in a different directory, then your path will be different, and (my guess) you will not need a "$" sign at the beginning.

Fix any of these file paths that have added "$" signs and resave. Make sure its still a ".AML" suffix, and not ".TXT".

Everything about the program seems to be fine, but it will not open the latest AML's, so I am guessing that newer AML's are supporting options that this program does not know what to do with. iClone can read AML's from older generations just fine.
By Rob940 - 13 Years Ago
Hi Peter, has there been any new news from the dev. team about the AML Script Editor?
By Peter (RL) - 13 Years Ago
Rogue940 (1/13/2011)
Hi Peter, has there been any new news from the dev. team about the AML Script Editor?

Although updating the AML Script Editor has been on the "to do" list for sometime, sadly other projects are taking precedence right now. I think it very unlikely that a new version will appear before the next major release of iClone.

In the meantime the current script editor is still very usable with little tweaks required to the scripts here and there. You can see this discussed in the previous posts of this thread. Smile

By Sen - 13 Years Ago
Hi all ,

Rampa is right . Aml script works in iclone 4 .