CC3 Reworked Facial Expressions in 3.2 - Can 3DXchange Daz Pipeline be updated?

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic431560.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Scyra - 5 Years Ago
Title is self-explanatory. The 3DXchange method has advantages over Daz to CC3 in rare cases (monstrous humanoids for example). It would be nice to have the facial expression update, though...CC3 Updated Facial Expressions in 3.2 - Can 3DXchange Daz Pipeline be updated with new expressions?
By GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS - 5 Years Ago
Could you be more specific about those rare cases and explain the advantages of 3DXchange over Transformer then ?
By Scyra - 5 Years Ago
For the case of monstrous humanoids check this topic. With 3DXchange what you see in Daz with the resolution parameter set to Base is what you get. 3DXchange route should allow for the possibility of exporting Daz body morphs. It has been a while since I have tried to use it, though. I recall having some trouble with it.

EDIT: 3DXchange mesh appeared degraded VS a straight Daz export, morph exports from 3DXchange to Unity look like this:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/a21e6e92-a3e4-4022-968e-9dde.png

The new "Mouth Open as Morph" BlendShape that combines mouth/jaw movement is also absent. Sending the character to iClone and exporting there allows that option, but deletes all body morphs...great!
By Hookflash - 5 Years Ago
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS (12/23/2019)
Could you be more specific about those rare cases and explain the advantages of 3DXchange over Transformer then ?

One advantage is that geografts can be merged seamlessly with the character in Daz, then imported via 3Dxchange (but not Transformer, since the geometry will be nonstandard).
By Scyra - 5 Years Ago
Since this topic didn't receive an answer, maybe I can ask a different question:

I know it is possible to rework expressions manually in 3DX — if I send the base Genesis 8 to CC3 to apply new expressions, and I then try to match them one by one in 3DX, will this produce an export file I could apply to all future Genesis 8's? Does this idea seem practical? Hopefully someone who has modified expressions in 3DX can answer...
@Scyra
The issue here is that using Transformer does not give you the same fundamental result as using 3DXchange:

AFAIK,

3DXchange: When you import, say Daz Genesis 8 Female, into 3DXchange, even so if you follow the "automatic" conversion procedure you will actually import a Genesis 8 Female character Topology into iClone. The mesh will be the same as what you have in Daz3D. When you then get this figure into iClone, notice that you don't have access to the "Edit in Character Creator" option.

Transformer: When you import the same Genesis 8 Female figure into CC3 through the Transformer tool, the CC3 "Base Mesh" is used instead, modified, "wrapped"' around the Daz3D figure in order to match its shape as close as possible (hence sometimes issues with extra-morphed/deformed Daz3D characters, yet issues where 3DXchange will have no "advantage" at all here because unable to produce matching CC3 Base Mesh). In the end, you get a CC3 Base Mesh Topology that "looks like" the Daz3D Figure. When you then get this figure into iClone, you get the new expressions and you have access to the "Edit in Character Creator" option.

Usually, the Transformer tool works quite well, but if sometimes you have an issue with Daz3D extreme morphs, solve it by using the Edit Mesh tool or if not enough, simply export the geometry, correct it in any 3d application and reimport it. If you try to stick with 3DXchange then you will loose all the Character Creator benefits.
By Scyra - 5 Years Ago
Hi, GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS...I'm aware of those issues but thanks for sharing. I found the post you made just prior to this more helpful; it confirms what I experienced last night in attempting to transfer morphs. Even then I ran into a problem with the Morph Creator morphs applying an undesired axis offset.

I actually ran into so many issues with 3DX that just applying the FaceKey DUF and exporting straight from Daz to Unity gave me better results by far.  If I can figure out how to get Live Face expression tracks to play on that avatar I'll go that route...and then maybe I'll look into editing Face Keys in Daz prior to export...

A lot of the things I ran into were issues people were reporting a year ago and those topics had no response. I watched the latest 3DXchange tutorial turn into a CC3 tutorial, which could be summarized as: "Use CC3 instead." CC3 is great until you want a talking Balrog with body morphs.
I understand your pain, there are still issues everywhere in iClone Smile
But.. that does not mean you can't do what you want

Scyra (12/26/2019)
../.. CC3 is great until you want a talking Balrog with body morphs../..

Granted there are issues, I still don't get why you seem to think it is impossible to get a talking Balrog with body morphs if you take the CC3 road.
Yes there will be issues, but nothing that should stop you to achieve the result you are after.
Again, if there are artefacts in the mesh, then export it, correct it in a 3d application, or with the Edit Mesh tool in CC3.
Importing Morph Targets one by one in Morph Creator is a pain in the @ss but it is possible, it just requires elbow grease.

I mean in these kind of situations you have 2 choices: stay angry until all the issues and bugs are fixed by Reallusion (it could take a while..).
Or find workarounds and the courage and patience to do things manually until you get the result you are after.

I would happily try to help you if you show me a specific issue or a step that does not work for you.
By Scyra - 5 Years Ago
Nah, I'm not angry, and I'm also not waiting around for fixes, so we think alike on this. I have a few more experiments I need to run before asking for help.
By animagic - 5 Years Ago
Scyra (12/26/2019)
I know it is possible to rework expressions manually in 3DX — if I send the base Genesis 8 to CC3 to apply new expressions, and I then try to match them one by one in 3DX, will this produce an export file I could apply to all future Genesis 8's? Does this idea seem practical? Hopefully someone who has modified expressions in 3DX can answer...

It's been ages since I've done this, but basically that is the idea. Make the settings once in 3DX, save as a profile, and reapply. It should still work that way, but I don't know. 

I believe 3DX development is currently limited such that the pipeline to iClone doesn't break (such as with DHS). There is little change of new functionality at this point AFAIK. Even a 64-bit version is not considered.
By Scyra - 5 Years Ago
Thanks animagic, that's what I was thinking but I wanted a second opinion—much appreciated.

Edit 12/28/19: Currently considering exports straight from Daz to Unity with Reallusion Face Key applied for the BlendShapes to drive expressions with SALSA LipSync. So even in this case it would still be nice if the 3DXchange Face Keys could be updated to match the new CC3 ones.