Headshot tutorials hints and tips

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic427885.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Kevin.S - 5 Years Ago
Maybe we can start this thread as a tutorial thread

By justaviking - 5 Years Ago
Excellent idea.

I would like to suggest tutorial that covers the Pro-mode "Masks" in more detail would be great.  In particular, how to use a "Custom Mask" to prevent a strand of hair from becoming baked onto the forehead texture is likely to be a common task we need to accomplish.  Even though I've figured it out (not saying I've exactly mastered it), I think it would be a nice topic to include in a tutorial.

By charly Rama - 5 Years Ago
Others very interesting

By Kelleytoons - 5 Years Ago

By omegaav - 5 Years Ago
Great tutorials thanks very much, I am a neewbie at all this and really only doing it for my own ends (hobby). My biggest problem is hair and how to edit it etc, so if you have any tips I would be grateful
By shadybearbklyn - 5 Years Ago
Fantastic tutorials as usual Mike. I was using Crazy Talk to create heads before, but Headshot is far superior. I've always used high quality images, but I was wondering what resolution you tend to use and the size of the file. For example, one photo I'm using is 300 pixels/inch and is 2.5 x 2.7 inches with a file size of 524 KB. I can zoom in all the way and see a lot of detail, but wanted to check with a proWink

Pixels per inch is pretty meaningless unless you are going to print something out.

We always just refer to the image in terms of pixel width and height.  Images that are 4K (so 4096 x 4096) are superb.  But you take what you can get -- as a very general rule you need to have at least a 1K image (so 1080 x 1080).  The lesser the pixels, the "softer" the final head will look (but note there are times that such an avatar is fine -- you don't always need ultra-realism and there are many times you actually don't want that anyway).
omegaav (11/24/2019)
Great tutorials thanks very much, I am a neewbie at all this and really only doing it for my own ends (hobby). My biggest problem is hair and how to edit it etc, so if you have any tips I would be grateful

This is a bit OT for this sub-forum but I did do a little play around type thing with hair a few days ago:

I'm going to try to do something playing around a bit in Blender as well -- watch for it on my channel.

By shadybearbklyn - 5 Years Ago
This is exactly what I need to do, but when I attempt to drag a jpeg into CC3 I get a red circle with a slash through it. I've tried a number of different jpegs, but I get the same result. 
Is your file extension jpeg or jpg?  I think Headshot is expecting jpg.  (I've never tried with a jpeg extension).
By Mythcons - 5 Years Ago
I don't know if these have been covered:

1) You can achieve most head proportions, without using a tool like Zbrush or Blender, by pushing/pulling various attributes (mouth, nose, face shape) and repeatedly 'baking' the morphs. This resets the morph sliders at 0, allowing you to continue. Rince and repeat.

2) If your reference photo has an expression, try to replicate the basics of that expression and then re-project the photo using the Headshot Photo Matching tool.

3) If your photo projection is partially successful (e.g. half the projection is clean, half has shadow / distortions), export the projection to an image editor like Photoshop. Copy half the image, flip it horizontally. Now you have a better base to work with. Asymmetrical details can be added in selectively.
By animagic - 5 Years Ago
Mythcons (11/28/2019)
I don't know if these have been covered:

1) You can achieve most head proportions, without using a tool like Zbrush or Blender, by pushing/pulling various attributes (mouth, nose, face shape) and repeatedly 'baking' the morphs. This resets the morph sliders at 0, allowing you to continue. Rince and repeat.

2) If your reference photo has an expression, try to replicate the basics of that expression and then re-project the photo using the Headshot Photo Matching tool.

3) If your photo projection is partially successful (e.g. half the projection is clean, half has shadow / distortions), export the projection to an image editor like Photoshop. Copy half the image, flip it horizontally. Now you have a better base to work with. Asymmetrical details can be added in selectively.

Very helpful. Here is a tutorial by Mike Sherwood explaining the techniques you mention, among others. 

Your item # 2 was especially of interest to me, because I have been trying the obvious method of correcting a smile in my image editor with a warp tool.
By tedstrickler - 4 Years Ago
Kelley, thank you for you tutorials, you have explained a lot and I especially like that you show what to do in Photoshop. Thank you.
By hobbyuser3d - 3 Years Ago
nuked
system double posted
nuked
By hobbyuser3d - 2 Years Ago
nuked