4K Monitor and Preview Renders

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic425486.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By ultimativity - 5 Years Ago
Hello,  I am making a film using the native IClone 7 renderer.  I plan to edit in Hitfilm Express; however, I would like to get the best quality footage possible in my renders. 
Does resolution of my monitor affect the quality of render when I select Preview and Optimize With Fullscreen Render for video renders? Would usiing a 4K monitor fullscreen provide better renders than my current 1080 monitor?
Thanks,
Nathan
By Peter (RL) - 5 Years Ago
Hi Nathan... The monitor resolution doesn't affect the render quality. Even if you are using a 1920 x 1080 monitor you can still render a 4k video.
By animagic - 5 Years Ago
ultimativity (10/26/2019)
Hello,  I am making a film using the native IClone 7 renderer.  I plan to edit in Hitfilm Express; however, I would like to get the best quality footage possible in my renders. 
Does resolution of my monitor affect the quality of render when I select Preview and Optimize With Fullscreen Render for video renders? Would usiing a 4K monitor fullscreen provide better renders than my current 1080 monitor?

I would not use Preview as that will result in lower quality in my experience.

I would render as an PNG image sequence to avoid codec artifacts. That way also, you can experiment with various render settings on a single frame and judge what's best in your case.

I have a 4k monitor and use the Optimize With Fullscreen Render. In general, I no longer use super-sampling as that may interfere with DOF quality. However, sometimes super-sampling is necessary to avoid a moire effect (rings) on surfaces. For that reason there is also an option to add some noise to the render.

What is "best" depends on the situation, so single-frame render tests are useful to see what's best in your case.
By ultimativity - 5 Years Ago
Thanks for responding. Good, then I don't have to replace my monitor. I have tried .pngs and was impressed with the result.