Inegrating custom cloth - how?!

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic414754.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By aesir - 5 Years Ago
Ok, after hours of trial and error and watching tutorials and reading on forums, I end up here asking you.

So, HELLO : )

I have a character with a separate shirt, pants, accesories, hat etc.
I want to integrate these parts into the Character Creator pipeline to be able to use the added short, pants etc with the other characters and morphs.

How do I do that? The character /its clothes I want to integrate are NOT based on a CC-character. WHen importing, CC asks for the FBX-Key and I do not have one.
Youtube says there is on in the template folder, but I still cannot find it. Also, youtube says the export creates a key file which is also not the case.

Please, I really need help here.

By Kelleytoons - 5 Years Ago
Export as OBJ and use the Create/Accessory.  After it's in CC3 you can weight it with Transfer skin weights to any clothing you want.
By aesir - 5 Years Ago
Thank you.

Figured that out, too. Now I wish skinning would be a bit more intuitive.
Is there a better workflow than adjusting the weights by selecting a bone and increasing/ decreasing the weights by painting?
The calibration tool is fine, but I still cannot get the poses look good.
Transfer the weights using Default first.  This should handle about 90% of all issues (you can try all the other presets when you can't get it working properly).

And you can also use any file from any other similar type of clothing.
By kmitchell.12catblackstudios - 5 Years Ago
After the inital rigging in CC3 you can also export the FBX of your character and take it to any application you want to adjust the clothing how ever needed. Then reimport the fbx as clothing and be sure to select the clothing file exported with the FBX. This will remove your current character and load in the complete FBX as long as you dont chnage the bone structure you should be able to save that current clothing to the lib and load it back on the orginal character you were working one. I had to do this for a skirt that just was not efficent to work on in CC3. 
By sg_406853 - 5 Years Ago
Hello
I have custom clothes on a character made on 3ds, but I have bad skinning result with transfer mesh when i imported it.
I try to correct it manually but  it's a crazy  nightmare !!!
So I tried to export it in 3dsmax in fbx, to correct the skin and reimport it character creator but it's worst (cc3 seams to understand the same weights I had in 3dsmax).
Also I can't import the fbx in maya even with the maya preset, I had an error.
I already spend a lot of time on it at my office. i can't find a real solution.
Please help me

You should be using Character Creator 3 -- export your clothes as OBJ and import into CC3 as "Accessory".  Then transfer skin weights and all should be well.
By martok2112 - 5 Years Ago
A slight tangent here...

For the most part, I know it is recommended that if you are importing custom clothing into CC3 that your avatar be in the T-pose position.   Now, a lot of times, I make my own clothes in external programs like Blender, and in so doing, I export a CC3 generation avatar from the Pipeline version of CC3 with the T-pose.   Quite honestly, this is the best way to ensure that if you are making your own clothes, that those clothes will fit your avatar when exporting them into CC3.  There is a reason I said... "A slight tangent here...." and I'll go into that in a bit, but for now....

Regardless, whether you are importing clothes from your own creation, or from an online shop, make sure you Calculate Collision after Transferring Skin Weights.   You might have to Calculate Collision a couple of times to make sure that there are no bare spots on the clothing where there should be cloth.   After you've Calculated Collision, use a couple of relatively (for lack of a better word) contorted pose, (for females, the best test poses I've found are "Pray" and "Enticing" and look at the clothing on your character from those positions....smooth out, sculpt where necessary... and try to make sure you don't oversculpt.   Usually, if all goes well, a couple of long, broad strokes in the exposed area will clear up those bare spots.  Once you have patched up those areas with some scuplting, return the avatar to T-pose ...quick method is look to the Modify panel and click on the Motion Pose>Edit Pose and then click on "default".   (side note:  If you've somehow accidentally screwed up your default option in the past, then just go into the Content panel on the left side, and click on Pose>Face&Body>Default    or Pose>Body>0_T_Pose  then go back to the Modify>Motion Pose>Edit Pose...and click on Set As Default.  Now T-pose has been restored as your default pose in the Edit Pose panel.  After you've done the extreme poses, there is still one more test.   In the Edit Pose function on the Modify panel, select the abdomen point (the point above the waist marker on the Edit Pose diagram) and bend your character a bit forward... say, almost L shaped (look for bare patches, sculpt out, if any), and a bit backward, not quite L shaped...just enough to look slightly painful LOL (look for bare patches and correct if and where necessary).  For the most part now, your clothes should be well fit and ready to animate on your iClone CC3 characters.

Ok...now, for the "A Slight Tangent Here...." portion of this post.   As I stated before, I usually make my own clothes in Blender using an exported CC3 gen avatar from Character Creator 3 Pipeline.   Tops/shirts are usually fairly easy to create in Blender on your CC3 mesh... just a bit of knowing what faces to highlight in Edit Mode, where to make your Knife cuts or Knife Projection cuts, etc.   Sometimes however, things like pants, shorts, and gloves can be a bit problematic because of the proximity of limbs to each other.   (legs proximity to each other, or fingers proximity to each other in T-pose).   When importing your pants/shorts/gloves into CC3, you might have to do a lot of Lateral Partition editing if your pants or shorts are not exactly "form fitting"...if they're loose or even baggy.   Gloves can be even more problematic because the fingers are straight out and inline...a flat hand.   

To resolve this.... I create a pose in CC3 for my avatar where the feet stand apart (shoulder width, or slightly broader, should be good enough), and I spread the fingers out manually....not too wide, just enough to have some space between them.  Do not flex the fingers and thumb...and, in fact, try to ensure that your thumb is level with your extended fingers.   Once I'm satisfied with the limb and digital positioning, I will export that avatar as an .obj for use in Blender.  (I saved this custom pose in CC3 custom pose folder for future imports of new clothing).    In Blender, I'll create the clothes (I did a pictorial tut on this sometime back, but I think I'll be updating and making a new tut soon), and then export them as .objs to be reimported into CC3 onto my posed avatar.   As I mentioned earlier, the advantage of using exported .obj avatar meshes in Blender is that your clothes will automatically be the correct scale for your avatar in Character Creator 3 when you import your custom made clothes as Accessories.   Do the usual.... Transfer skin weights (with Lateral Partitioning on just to make double sure), then calculate collision.   Now, your pants/shorts/gloves should fit with minimal (if any) partitioning fuss after Calculate Collision.   Then do the usual tests:  put your avatar in default T-pose, look it over, check for any bare spots, sculpt if necessary.   Use those extreme poses I'd mentioned earlier, each time, looking over the clothes, checking for bare patches.    This may look (in text) like it would take forever, but it really only takes a few minutes.  

I hope this TL;DR helps. :-)