Vector Graphics import needs updating

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic412753.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By dvnmedia - 5 Years Ago
I was dissapointed that CA4 didn't update the importing of vector graphics without needing an Adobe subscription or using the outdated DrawPlus. Support for Affinity Designer would have been a welcome addition and justified the upgrade price especially as most of CA4 is the same as CTA3 appart from the 360 heads. Just importing SWF is a very outdated when there are so many other vector formats. 
By etourist - 5 Years Ago
Just thought I'd add my support to this sentiment. Especially since .swf support is being phased out by Adobe (well flash support in general by 2020).

Personally I would love to see G2 character templates to replace .swf template import in .svg format (I don't actually know if that's possible but on the surface it seems like it should be). If it is then .svg is supported by a wider variety of vector applications giving users far more choice of what vector creation tool they use.

I'd also like to see .svg supported in general for vector props (which also currently have to be .swf to import). As well it would be good if G3 characters were also able to accept .svg format for their sprites in addition to .psd.

Although .psd is tied to Adobe Photoshop many other drawing apps support it so it's been a good choice for content developers. Similarly those developers that prefer vector sprites would be better served with a format that is widely supported across many vector apps.
By Peter (RL) - 5 Years Ago
Thank you for the feedback. This has been passed to the CTA team to review. Smile
By Peter (RL) - 5 Years Ago
etourist (6/17/2019)

Personally I would love to see G2 character templates to replace .swf template import in .svg format (I don't actually know if that's possible but on the surface it seems like it should be). If it is then .svg is supported by a wider variety of vector applications giving users far more choice of what vector creation tool they use.

UPDATE:

Improved vector support is in our future roadmap with support for SVG being the first choice. We will have more news in due course. Smile
By gregg2g - 4 Years Ago
I hope this is in the works soon. It would be very nice addition to be able to product characters and props in vector graphics (SVG).
By UNU Studios - 4 Years Ago
so hang on, are we able to import vector graphics right now in to CA4? Or does everything need to be rasterised before hand?
I know that Toon Boom works with vector and raster graphics. 

By gregg2g - 4 Years Ago
You can only import and use Photoshop documents  (PSD) right now. I've been hoping for vector (SVG) import and usage. 
Just being realistic here, I don't think they can do it.
I' basing this on the application build at the moment. 
It's a whole new ball game trying to 360 vector heads and animating vectors in general. 
The way it is now, I think they have cornered themselves in only working with raster images.

Unless it's a radical new build. And probably at least 4 times the price.

I've come from the world of Toon Boom where Vector and bitmaps were able to work side by side, even on the same character or prop. 

By gregg2g - 4 Years Ago
As programming code goes, I don't know if vector would be harder to input (more coding) verses pixel. A lot of animation programs seem to start off with vector. Of course, there are the Raster programs that have a limited animation program within. Vector is just nicer when varying the size of the scene.  
Yeah, I guess. 

So for now, we should be creating large enough images so that when they are zoomed. in would still look decent yeah?
For example, I like outputting to full HD, so when I'm creating a multi layered scene in Affinity Photo, I'm starting with a canvas 4 X the full HD dimensions, then resize it small enough to fit into my screen size in CA4 full HD.
That way the detail is not that bad. 

Can't wait till vectors are importable dudes!!
By gregg2g - 4 Years Ago
Yes, and a good vector program within Cartoon Animator would be the best idea. Having to go from CTA4 to a Photoshop type program and back every time gets old very fast.
By Greenlaw - 4 Years Ago
Hi everybody,

I'm a long time animator but I'm completely new to using Cartoon Animator, and I just want to add how important I think it is to improve the vector support in CA. 

I use Moho Pro to animate 2D cartoon segments for multiple TV shows on Netflix. Most notable is Boss Baby: Back In Business because, in addition to rigging and animating the characters inside Moho, we completely drew the characters using its native vector tools, We do use bitmap art (notably in the shows The Croods, Puss In Boots and King Julien,) but using vector art in Boss gave us a lot more flexibility (literally!) to make our puppet animations appear more 'traditionally' drawn. (We also use Harmony, Animate, and After Effects, but our team prefers using Moho for this type of animation.)

That said, even though we've had great success with this workflow, we're always looking for ways to speed up the rigging process and better ways to re-purpose our rigs and artwork. From what I've seen so far, Cartoon Animator's rigging tools (mainly in demo videos,) looks very promising but I'm surprised to find little support for vector art. I don't wish to comment negatively because I've only just started learning CA/Pipeline (and obviously I have a lot to learn) but I'm hopeful vector art is an area that will receive more love in the future.

Anyway, I'll probably have a lot of questions for more knowledgeable and experienced CA users here, and I hope I'll eventually be able to contribute something useful to the discussions.
By deborah_293014 - 4 Years Ago
Peter (RL) (7/3/2019)
etourist (6/17/2019)

UPDATE:

Improved vector support is in our future roadmap with support for SVG being the first choice. We will have more news in due course. Smile

This is awesome news.