2D Facial for Android

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic411186.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By pka4916 - 5 Years Ago
I see that it's only for the Iphone.
Will there be an Android version?

By brothertcoleman - 5 Years Ago
Perhaps with the new Samsung Galaxy Note 10 phone with its new 3D depth sensor. 
It has 4 cameras ;include a 16 megapixel ultra wide-angle camera, a 12 megapixel wide-angle main camera, a 12 megapixel telephoto camera, and a 3D depth sensor.
By Edward (RL) - 5 Years Ago
Hi,
Already have a general web camera solution, no need iPhone or Android phone now.
Take look: 
https://www.reallusion.com/cartoon-animator/2d-facial-motion-capture/default.html
By The-any-Key - 5 Years Ago
edh (5/2/2019)
Hi,
Already have a general web camera solution, no need iPhone or Android phone now.
Take look: 
https://www.reallusion.com/cartoon-animator/2d-facial-motion-capture/default.html

I would be surprised if you get the same quality with a basic camera compared to to 3D camera.
By Peter (RL) - 5 Years Ago
The-any-Key (5/2/2019)

I would be surprised if you get the same quality with a basic camera compared to to 3D camera.

You can still get excellent results using a webcam. Check out the getting started tutorial below which shows how easy it is to setup and get going.

https://youtu.be/GuQGrPhUEPQ
By pka4916 - 5 Years Ago
soooo... back on topic.  Smile

I have the S10+   so it has the camera etc..

Will the be support for that ?

pka4916 (5/3/2019)
soooo... back on topic.  Smile

I have the S10+   so it has the camera etc..

Will the be support for that ?

Very unlikely. We want to have a facial mocap solution for everyone and not just for individual phones. That is why we have introduced Face3D which can be used with almost any webcam.
By 4u2ges - 5 Years Ago
Very unlikely. We want to have a facial mocap solution for everyone and not just for individual phones. That is why we have introduced Face3D which can be used with almost any webcam.

It's like moving back Peter (I am talking about Motion Live for iClone and Live Face plug-in for iPhone in this case).
It is not about individual phones but rather about phone platform I suppose (iPhone and Android).
So you are saying this project with depth camera is dead in the water?
I do not own the iPhone, but from what I was reading on the forum, there is clear gap in muscle capture quality between Faceware and IPhone plugin
(you do not have to be a rocket scientist to figure 3D camera would capture more accurately than 2D).

Being quite not happy with Faceware, I was waiting for the depth camera on Android platform available through my carrier (Verizon).
And here it is Galaxy S10 5G with true ToF camera.
I am sure there would be more to come and soon ToF cameras would come standard.
But now it looks like we never see the support for it?

BTW, ToF cameras on Android platform are available for a while now.
OPPO smartphone is one of them - a product from Chinese based electronics company. 
So the development could have been started long ago?
4u2ges (5/18/2019)

It is not about individual phones but rather about phone platform I suppose (iPhone and Android).

Actually, the problem is about individual phones and not a general iPhone or Android situation. Even with the iPhone, only certain models are supported. You can't use popular models such as the iPhone 7 or 8, it must be the X series. Obviously, this limits the number of users which is why we wanted to go with a solution for CTA4 that almost everyone can use, the webcam.

It doesn't mean LIVE FACE is dead or discontinued but I don't think there are any plans to release numerous different profiles for different models of phones. If we could make one standard profile for Android and one for iPhone then that would be great but that isn't a viable option at the moment due to the camera requirements.
By 4u2ges - 5 Years Ago
Peter (RL) (5/20/2019)
4u2ges (5/18/2019)

Actually, the problem is about individual phones and not a general iPhone or Android situation. Even with the iPhone, only certain models are supported. You can't use popular models such as the iPhone 7 or 8, it must be the X series.

Peter, I am not sure why you refer to the outdated iPhone models. Only phones with 3D depth camera (ToF) are supported.
And I am sure at the time of development and plugin release, RL was very well aware of the fact that iPhone 7 and 8 would not be supported.
Yet the plug-in and iStore app was released. So now we have Android phone industry catching up. LG, Samsung for now and whole lot of other models (which are not available in US - I am speaking for myself here Smile).
And given that AR platform on phones is gaining popularity, I am sure phone manufactures would soon equip most of their products with respective 3D hardware.
So again, why look at the past and not into the future?

4u2ges (5/21/2019)
So now we have Android phone industry catching up. LG, Samsung for now and whole lot of other models (which are not available in US - I am speaking for myself here Smile).

Exactly that's the problem. With iPhone you have one manufacturer so the hardware used is standard across all models in the X series. With Android, you have multiple manufacturers, and while some models may have a suitable depth camera, it would likely mean a separate profile would be needed for each phone. This obviously makes having a single webcam profile that everyone can use a much better option.
By 4u2ges - 5 Years Ago
With Android, you have multiple manufacturers, and while some models may have a suitable depth camera, it would likely mean a separate profile would be needed for each phone.

We would not know that until someone actually try it. It is just a camera (OK, being sophisticated by featuring infrared sensors).
Webcams are also made by dozens of manufacturers and some of them might work better than the other,
yet none of them are capable capturing all of the available face muscles of modern CC avatars.
IMO it is not a better option to have an incomplete product for everyone on the market.
Better option would be to invest into the future, even though it might be a rough ride at the beginning.
By Jerome V - 5 Years Ago
Peter (RL) (5/21/2019)
With Android, you have multiple manufacturers, and while some models may have a suitable depth camera, it would likely mean a separate profile would be needed for each phone. This obviously makes having a single webcam profile that everyone can use a much better option.

Ergo, there won't be an Android profile, just iPhone and webcam. Initially, Reallusion suggested (I believe it was in this forum) that there might be more profiles in the future. Reallusion should address this issue officially to prevent disappointment with Early Bird customers who may have certain expectations based on early indications from Reallusion employees/representatives.
Jerome V (5/31/2019)
Peter (RL) (5/21/2019)
With Android, you have multiple manufacturers, and while some models may have a suitable depth camera, it would likely mean a separate profile would be needed for each phone. This obviously makes having a single webcam profile that everyone can use a much better option.

Ergo, there won't be an Android profile, just iPhone and webcam. Initially, Reallusion suggested (I believe it was in this forum) that there might be more profiles in the future. Reallusion should address this issue officially to prevent disappointment with Early Bird customers who may have certain expectations based on early indications from Reallusion employees/representatives.

Here's the post I was referring to:

Peter (RL) (5/1/2019)
We do have more mocap profiles coming for Cartoon Animator 4 but this won't be until the second half of the year (H2). 
At launch, only facial mocap is available along with some upper body movement if Face3D for Body is turned on.

I guess this means that the profiles for facial mocap won't be expanded in Cartoon Animator 4. Additional profiles for hand movement will probably require the purchase of additional hand/finger mocap hardware, it seems.
It would be very cool (!) if Reallusion would include a Kinect 2 profile, but since I have been disappointed several times about Kinect support in CTA2 & CTA3, it's probably better to expect nothing and then maybe be pleasantly surprised.

Given the fact that Reallusion already has experience with Kinect 2, it can't be too complicated to add a Kinect profile to Face3D. It would be a wonderful move by Reallusion if they did, since X-Box/Kinect controllers and PC-adapters are still being sold in lots of places and are really cheap nowadays. I understand that Reallusion wants to team up with state-of-the-art mocap hardware companies and wants to compete with competitors that offer high end animation solutions, but as a gesture of good will and as an example of state-of-the-art customer support, adding a low cost Kinect mocap option to Face3D would make them look great in the eyes of their loyal customers, especially those who bought a Kinect 2 controller at the time, in the hope it would be supported in CTA3 (as was the plan, initially).
Jerome V (5/31/2019)
Peter (RL) (5/21/2019)

We mentioned more gear profiles coming but never said these would be for Android phones. Once the new profiles are confirmed we will of course release more information.
Peter (RL) (5/31/2019)
We mentioned more gear profiles coming but never said these would be for Android phones. Once the new profiles are confirmed we will of course release more information.

I know, I never expected Reallusion to offer Android mocap support either. The point I was making was that the new profiles would probably not be for Android devices but for other mocap hardware such as hand-/finger tracking devices.
I was just saying that people may have certain unrealistic expectations about Cartoon Animator 4 (such as future Android support for facial mocap) that could easily be avoided by an official statement that Android support won't be a priority for Reallusion. Sometimes it's not enough to leave questions open.
Jerome V (6/1/2019)
Peter (RL) (5/31/2019)

I know, I never expected Reallusion to offer Android mocap support either. The point I was making was that the new profiles would probably not be for Android devices but for other mocap hardware such as hand-/finger tracking devices.
I was just saying that people may have certain unrealistic expectations about Cartoon Animator 4 (such as future Android support for facial mocap) that could easily be avoided by an official statement that Android support won't be a priority for Reallusion. Sometimes it's not enough to leave questions open.

Thanks for clarifying. Smile
By InfoCentral - 5 Years Ago
Jerome V (5/31/2019)
Given the fact that Reallusion already has experience with Kinect 2, it can't be too complicated to add a Kinect profile to Face3D..

I was thinking the same thing.
InfoCentral (6/20/2019)
Jerome V (5/31/2019)
Given the fact that Reallusion already has experience with Kinect 2, it can't be too complicated to add a Kinect profile to Face3D..

I was thinking the same thing.

As the Kinect has now been discontinued by Microsoft, further development is not really a viable option due to the short supply of the hardware required.
By gerdich - 5 Years Ago
Kinect 2 is useless for facial mocap. It is only for bigger distances like body shapes. I don't think that iPhone and Android ToF are very useful for facial mocap. On the other hand Apple has bought FaceShift, a very academic software for facial mocap from a camera. But the value of ToF for facial mocap is IMHO only big bluff.
By 4u2ges - 5 Years Ago
gerdich (6/25/2019)
Kinect 2 is useless for facial mocap. It is only for bigger distances like body shapes. I don't think that iPhone and Android ToF are very useful for facial mocap. On the other hand Apple has bought FaceShift, a very academic software for facial mocap from a camera. But the value of ToF for facial mocap is IMHO only big bluff.

I am not sure what you mean by bluff and what your expectations are, but out 2 facial mocap options available in iClone (faceware and iPhone), latter is a clear winner.
By Ibis Fernandez - 5 Years Ago
3d depth camera aside, technically you can use any phone for mocap. There's countless apps out there that will turn your phone, regardless of which brand, into a webcam. Hence you can can do the facial mocap with your android. There may be a bit of lag due to the wireless nature but yes. it can be done. Using a gopro is provably a better faster solution if what you are looking to do is stream a webcam feed wireless into your pc. The pc doesn't care where the picture comes from, as long as it shows up as a webcam it should be capable of using that as a source... this of course assuming you really just want to use your phone and not specifically a depth sensor thing.
By 4u2ges - 5 Years Ago
I wish it'd be that easy. Already have a webcam and Faceware, which I am not happy about. So switching to Adnroid cam would not make any difference in this case.
I want more sophisticated Live Face, which is only available for iPhone.
By gerdich - 5 Years Ago
"iPhone is the winner". As I said: not ToF makes the difference but the FaceShift software.
By amercado - 5 Years Ago
wouldn't support for Intel RealSense tracking and Depth camera save everyone tons of cash ?
By The-any-Key - 5 Years Ago
amercado (9/16/2019)
wouldn't support for Intel RealSense tracking and Depth camera save everyone tons of cash ?

Faceshift did develop a face capture solution for Intel RealSense cameras that could be applied in 3D software. So that would have been a cost effective solution. But Apple bought Faceshift so that ship has sailed.
There seem to be other companies out there that use Intel RealSense too, but in the end you would need the camera ($250) + potential new or updated Faceware plugin for iclone ($1200). The big win with iPhoneX is that Apple provide for the 3D software implementation, while the Intel RealSense would require RL to hire another company (like Faceware) or develop one on their own.