A Glint of Hope

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic410911.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By animagic - 5 Years Ago
One day, a man, mourning his young-deceased wife, finds unexpected consolation at her gravesite. 

The story is inspired by a poem I came across, which is recited in the movie.

EDIT: This is the final version with the DHS shaders.
By nlprod1 - 5 Years Ago
Very nice work.
By justaviking - 5 Years Ago
Very nice, Job.
Thank you for sharing.
It's some of your best work yet.  Smile   (Even if it didn't have Pinhead in it.  Wink )
By Dan Miller - 5 Years Ago
Very nice   Smile
By jlittle - 5 Years Ago
Good one Job!
By wires - 5 Years Ago
Excellent work Job.
Good luck at the festivals. CoolSmooooth
By mark - 5 Years Ago
Very touching Job!  Wink
By Walt_R - 5 Years Ago
Very well done. Loved the switch from mute color to color. BigGrin Good luck with it in the festivals.
By Alley - 5 Years Ago
Great job!
Thank you for your comments. Here is a poster I designed (a requirement for some submissions):

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c2f0effd-b792-47fc-b3e6-e532.jpg

Some production notes for those interested:

The movie has been sort of a testing ground. As it is short, I initially thought I would render it with Iray. However, I had problems with rendering trees, and we all know that PopcornFX is not supported.

Also, for the way I work (an iterative approach with tweaks and additions), fast rendering turns out to be important. Nevertheless, Iray still proved to be useful as an guide to improve the look of the native renderer.

For the first time, I have rendered at 24 fps for the “cinematic” feel, based on comments made here (by Mike Kelley for one). It seems to give a sort of jerkiness that might be associated with film.

I have also done more with post processing (I’m using Vegas). One effect is a slightly shaking camera, so that stationary shots are not completely stationary.

You can do that in iClone, but doing it in post makes control easier (the effect can be animated), and you only have to render once in iClone. Likewise, I also add LUT filtering in post and various other effects.

By irina-04602007 - 5 Years Ago
Great job! Thanks! Good luck to you!
By Cary B - 5 Years Ago
It's really a lovely piece with a lot going for it. I liked very much the leaf-blowing scene when he is walking into the cemetery, very effective and moody. Throughout, really, there was a very strong mood to the visuals, and this was also carried along by the very appropriate music you chose. 

I also liked very much the reading of the poem. The actress did a beautiful job, nicely understated, but still very rich, paced and phrased very elegantly. Again, music working very well with this reading.

If I had any suggestion it would be in the area of facial expressions for the main character. There was some subtle work, I think, but it may have been a bit too subtle for me. I understand that you might not want to do a lot, but particularly at the ending of the poem when she fades away, I was looking for some kind of reaction from him. I am assuming he received some consolation, but his expression seemed a bit too bland, IMHO. 

Great job, best of luck! 

By kungphu - 5 Years Ago
Great job! Really love the DoF, was that done in iClone or post???
By 4u2ges - 5 Years Ago
Very touching. Thank you Job.
By pinguintje - 5 Years Ago
Very well done!!!!
En hééél veel succes toegewenst op de festivals.

Best Regards,
Arie
By GrannyJ - 5 Years Ago
Very nicely done, Job. I am very familiar with that poem, it has a very special meaning to me. Thank you for the lovely rendition.
By RobertoColombo - 5 Years Ago
Beautiful work

Roberto
By toystorylab - 5 Years Ago
Nice and well done...
And good luck at the festivals!
By Peter Blood - 5 Years Ago
Very touching, great job.

Cool pete
By Warped Reality VFX - 5 Years Ago
This was very well done loved the story and mood you set.
By gregsin - 5 Years Ago
Really nice work animagic!! And an especially touching poem.

Greg

Thank you all again for your encouraging and insightful comments.

In response to some specific remarks:

Shadoesword: I agree that the face of the male character was a bit too passive.

In light of that I have added facial animation after his encounter with the woman. I have updated the version in the first post.

kungphu: DOF was all done in iClone, while experimenting with settings. It turns out you can often get better results by adjusting Near and Far settings independently.

EDIT: The second version was updated with the new DHS shaders.
By alemar - 5 Years Ago
oh beautiful animagic!
By W.VEEKE - 5 Years Ago
Very nice, fine peace of work
Bravo!!!
By Postfrosch - 5 Years Ago
A very good Video.
Thanks for shearing
Greets from Germany
Postfrosch
By 3dtester - 5 Years Ago
Great video, very impressive.

I too thought the guy seemed a bit clinical.
But maybe the character itself is just like that.

The update is appropriate. Well done.

By vlado - 5 Years Ago
thats very cool. interesting story, and good Animation with good sets.