Well Flip Me!

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic397748.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By sonic7 - 6 Years Ago

Greetings ....  Smile
So you have a 'pose' and you simply want to obtain the exact ' Mirrored' image of it .....
I couldn't find anything about this - Is there a way to 'reverse the pose' in 3D space?

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/2896dc6d-478d-41cf-878d-0ec2.jpg
By dogged2003 - 6 Years Ago
sonic7

This is a great question! How ideas arise in different parts of the world!
I do not know the answer.
I believe that the solution is an improvement in the Curve Editor.
I asked RL to make it possible to copy curves between bones ... Save to file and read from file ...
By Anaximander - 6 Years Ago

If you are willing to go outside of Iclone you might have a look at a program called Akeytsu by Nukeygara. You can select and mirror bone positions easily.

Just a word of warning - The tutorials on youtube are not very good.  Don't judge the program by these. It is actually fairly easy and fun to use.

By sonic7 - 6 Years Ago

Thanks Anax ...... Smile
By Kelleytoons - 6 Years Ago
It's kind of expensive software (around $200) for this purpose.

The much better news is I do believe this will be easy to accomplish with Python.  So just wait a few weeks and we'll have something free for you to use.
Hell, you don't even have to wait (this couldn't be easier -- works great):

http://tali.appspot.com/bvh/bvhmirror.html

(We'll still write something for use inside of iClone, though).
By sonic7 - 6 Years Ago

Great Mike - thanks ......
Yes and the soon to be released 'Python' scripting reminds me of those amazing 'plugins' that clever Sketchup creators made years back. Some were able to improve SU functionality by *massive* amounts. Looking back, it's hard to imagine SU without them ......
By jarretttowe - 6 Years Ago
What if you scale -100% on the x-axis? It works in Daz Studio. Might be worth a try.
By animagic - 6 Years Ago
jarretttowe (12/15/2018)
What if you scale -100% on the x-axis? It works in Daz Studio. Might be worth a try.

That wouldn't reverse left and right limbs, which seems what the OP wants to do.
By AutoDidact - 6 Years Ago
I am actually a bit surprised to learn that Iclone does  not have this option
that has existed in Poser and Daz studio for years.
Daz studio can even "mirror" an entire motion clip
A shame it has No usable IK Solver and likely never will
 becaues of its "pose control" system. https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/5dbf2f2f-fc19-44c1-87ee-5d61.jpg
The link I posted will mirror BVH files (the whole clip).  I suspect the process will be equally easy inside of iClone, using Python (then again, I'm speaking from divine ignorance.  I suppose I should see if I can do it inside of Blender first, but I'm pretty busy right now.  The only warning flag I can see is if it's that easy to reverse an iClone motion file why hasn't RL offered this?  So perhaps there are "gotchas" that will make it an insurmountable task.  For me it's not a high priority since I always bring my mocap in via BVH and can use that webpage I posted if I need to reverse things).
By RobertoColombo - 6 Years Ago
Hi,

while waiting for Python-based solution, one way that could help in some cases is the following:

1. isolate the character, i.e. let it alone in the scene
2. render the scene with only the character and... guess what ? ... a green background (or any color very different from the character textures)
3. go to an NLE and horizontally flip the video (i would say that every NLE is able to do that very easily)
4. create a video file with the character
5. go back to iClone and put the video file (CTRL+drag) in a way that fit with the original character size and position
6. switch off the original character

For most of the cases it should work.
Cheers

Roberto
By sonic7 - 6 Years Ago

Hi Roberto ... Yes that's another interesting way to go .... In this particular case, the flipped geometry is for use half way through the making of animation 'cycles'. And because quite a few animations have that 'mirrored' center (compared to the start and end) - I thought it would be good to have a way of quickly producing it .... But as Mike just mentioned, there *may be* reasons it hasn't been made available directly iClone.
By animagic - 6 Years Ago
I remembered this being requested quite some time ago. That may actually have been before the Feedback Tracker.
By bexley - 6 Years Ago
I actually added a thread to the FBT -- after 7 versions RL should be able to give us a straight answer!  The more time I spend in frame-by-frame mode, the more infuriating this is.

https://www.reallusion.com/FeedBackTracker/Issue/A-way-of-mirroring-poses

--Bex
By Rampa - 6 Years Ago
This is one that could really benefit from a someone writing a Python utility for. 

As soon as our python developers get up to speed, we'll probably start seeing a lot of utilities to fill in the gaps.
I'm messing about with it right now (well, today -- not sure how much time I'll have to work on this for the next few days).  It seems doable, although I'm finding some problem areas I'll ask Luke about when he gets back from vaca.