Wicked Oz - Part 1 The Rainbow - Production Thread

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic39692.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Capemedia - 14 Years Ago

Hello All,

I wanted to start a production thread for “Wicked Oz – Part 1 The Rainbow”

Since last year this is probably been my most adventurous project to date as it combines my love of animation and music.  I am writing specific songs for this musical themed project and hopefully will be adding lots of eye candy to this amazing story.

Based on the many writing of L. Frank Baum, Gregory Maguire and Winnie Holzman.  “Wicked Oz – The Chronicles” follows the life of two of the main characters from the works of the above authors.  We follow the lives of both Dorothy Gale and Elphaba; better know as “The Wicked Witch of the West”.

However while reading and studying the above author’s work I have added my own twist to the story and in typical epic style will try and portray this across to you.

I have started a break down of my production diary on my website - http://www.capemediauk.com/Wicked_Oz.htm

This way you can follow the slow progress and see how I bring so many factors together leading up to the final release.  I even plan to have not only screen shots of the film but also production shots taken from the studio.

I released the first teaser back in October 2009 and it has been a massive up hill struggle moving this monster along.  Any way here we are and with a little luck I could have this ready in the next few months.

You can watch it on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrXPIifSDS4

Thanks for visiting.

Cape!

By Paumanok West - 14 Years Ago
Hi Capemedia, best wishes for success with your new assault (kidding, just kidding) on the Frank Baum franchise. In my opinion, the 1939 Wizard of Oz is the only absolutely perfect movie ever made. It is certainly one of the most popular, and it continues to exert its influence over our culture, judging from the constant references.

One of the advantages of Oz is that it is popular, but in the public domain--I think??? That said, I'd like to encourage you to reconceive your logo, because another profitable venture might take a dim view of resemblances. I say this in a supportive way.

If you want to brand your series with a fresh, distinctive look, head over to

Scriptorium

for the finest in evocative typefaces.

Paumanok West (2/3/2010)
Hi Capemedia, best wishes for success with your new assault (kidding, just kidding) on the Frank Baum franchise. In my opinion, the 1939 Wizard of Oz is the only absolutely perfect movie ever made. It is certainly one of the most popular, and it continues to exert its influence over our culture, judging from the constant references.

One of the advantages of Oz is that it is popular, but in the public domain--I think??? That said, I'd like to encourage you to reconceive your logo, because another profitable venture might take a dim view of resemblances. I say this in a supportive way.

If you want to brand your series with a fresh, distinctive look, head over to

Scriptorium

for the finest in evocative typefaces.

Thanks for the comments Paumanok West.

I have to agree with your statement regarding 1939 Wizard of Oz.  As a child they use to broadcast it every Christmas in the UK and it became apart of our culture as much as that of the States.  It's a story which is part of a whole range of books about Oz and reading through them Frank Baum takes us on an amazing journey all over Oz.

Regarding the Ravenscroft font, it's a readily available and a free font in Word but I can see where you're coming from.  To be honest I choose that font on purpose as a kind of tribute to my favorite musical of all time "Wicked".

Cape! 

OK taking everything into account and especially Paumanok West remarks, I have made some changes and tried to make the imagery more individual.

Thanks Paumanok West for the constructive feedback BigGrin

Also I have a new poster.

Cape Out!

By Alley - 14 Years Ago
The poster looks very professional. Smile  And I am looking forward to this movie.  The voice over in the trailer was fantastic.
OK, I'm your fanboy now.

Great typography--great 3D effect! Tongue
By elliespotter - 14 Years Ago
Fabulous poster, I am really looking forward to this movie, when it's done.

However one teeny point (Johm Martin II)? I hope you kept this image layers version. Sorry Sad

Alley (2/6/2010)
The poster looks very professional. Smile  And I am looking forward to this movie.  The voice over in the trailer was fantastic.

Thank you for the nice comment.  I must say that my wife has been amazing in her support of my work and now she's better we hope to get this complete BigGrin

Paumanok West (2/6/2010)
OK, I'm your fanboy now.

Great typography--great 3D effect! Tongue

Yes, you got me thinking and you were right, thanks Smile

elliespotter (2/7/2010)
Fabulous poster, I am really looking forward to this movie, when it's done.

However one teeny point (Johm Martin II)? I hope you kept this image layers version. Sorry Sad

Thank you for pointing that out Doze, I had ran it through a spell checker and it picked up nothing.  So all updated and fixed.

Hope I can do this project credit and make it entertaining for you guys Smile

By Christy0 - 14 Years Ago
Looks great, Can't wait.
By Raven2angel - 14 Years Ago
Looks like a great project, can't wait to see the end result BigGrin
christy0 (2/8/2010)
Looks great, Can't wait.

Raven2angel (2/10/2010)
Looks like a great project, can't wait to see the end result BigGrin

Thanks guys for the nice comments.

UPDATE 14.02.2010

I wanted to update everyone regarding this project which I'm tirelessly working on.

Currently I'm working heavily on the music for this project and we have written all songs that I wanted to add.  The problem is the more you write, the more you get, as the creative juices just keep flowing and one thing I've learned when you're on a roll keep with it.

I've spent a lot of time getting these songs produced, working to get a style that suits both the performer (My daughter Catherine) and the project "Wicked Oz".  I'm happy to say the recording sessions are coming along well and I've very pleased with the results.

The biggest challenge with this project is I'm working in two crucial areas, music and animation and while I'm working on one the other has no progress.  So I've no new screen shots or anything from the visual side.

However I've decided to show you a couple of still pictures from the sessions we have had over the last couple of weeks, me on the piano and Catherine singing.

Thanks for visiting

All the best

Cape!

By Christy0 - 14 Years Ago
Good to see the behind the scenes Cape, a lot of hard work ahead.

I'm afraid my music producing skills only go as far as Acid music studio. BigGrin

By allpoint - 14 Years Ago
Looks like your putting a lot of effort into the music, looking forward to hearing the tracks.

Best of luck with the production.

By aknzrdude - 14 Years Ago
colin i am glad you're back on this - i remember the teaser last year (or was it the year before?) and you saying it might not see the light of day - but now with original music to boot! looking forward to it
christy0 (2/14/2010)
Good to see the behind the scenes Cape, a lot of hard work ahead.

I'm afraid my music producing skills only go as far as Acid music studio. BigGrin

Thanks for the support christy0.

Oh and there's nothing wrong with Acid music studio my friend each to there own Smile

allpoint (2/15/2010)
Looks like your putting a lot of effort into the music, looking forward to hearing the tracks.

Best of luck with the production.

Yes I'm putting more effort into this then anything I have done before Smile

aknzrdude (2/15/2010)
colin i am glad you're back on this - i remember the teaser last year (or was it the year before?) and you saying it might not see the light of day - but now with original music to boot! looking forward to it

The trailer was released in October 2009 and a couple of weeks earlier my wife (Paula) had a serious accident and damaged her back.  Again I had to care for her as she was off work for 18 weeks.

However she's a lot better now and is fully supporting this project.

I wish I could produce films at the rate you do Gabe, I will try and get this out as soon as possible.  Hopefully everyone will enjoy it Smile

Cape!

Update 21/02/2010

Hello All,

We are making quite a bit of progress in the music department.  All original songs have been written which are "Hope", "One of These Days" and the "Wicked Oz Theme".  These songs are currently being evaluated by many of my trusted sources and friends to make sure that they sound right.

I still have 2 covers to recorded and finish and they should be done over the next few weeks as well as some of the Voice Over parts.

Any way I have been working on the asset building and I've attached some images for you to look at.

Thanks for visiting.

Cape!

P.S. Remember to follow the progress at my website (In the signature) Smile

By awoniproject - 14 Years Ago
Wow mate you are FANTASTIC!

Very well done and very ambitious, looking forward to emulating you!

R
awoniproject (2/24/2010)
Wow mate you are FANTASTIC!

Very well done and very ambitious, looking forward to emulating you!

R

awoniproject lets not get carried away, but thanks for the comment.

MINOR UPDATE 24/02/2010

Still in the studio working on the music.  I might have something for you all to see in about a week if things go as planned Smile  These will be part of the production diary but I will share them here.

Cape!

By J.Scotland - 14 Years Ago
I look forward to seeing this when it it starts to appear. One of my favs Smile
By twilit.tera - 14 Years Ago
An exciting teaser! I'll be keeping an eye on it!
Cherrout (2/25/2010)
I look forward to seeing this when it it starts to appear. One of my favs Smile

Thanks for the comment. It is a mammoth task I'm trying to do so it's not going to be quick Smile

twilit.tera (2/25/2010)
An exciting teaser! I'll be keeping an eye on it!

Thanks for the comment.  I saw your thread, really hope it works out Smile

Bringing together two of my biggest loves music and animation is a massive task.  I have done a number of albums, worked with many talented musicians and produced a string of recordings since the late 80's.  I have been animating now since around 2003 so in comparison I'm still a novice.

Trying to bring both together is something I've only ever dreamed about.  Making this story as an animated iClone film would be task on it's own.  The fact I'm writing and recording songs especially written for it....well it's nearly impossible BigGrin

Be we are defined by these challenges and become stronger regardless of the outcome.

Cape!

By twilit.tera - 14 Years Ago
Being a fan of both the 39 film and Wicked, I'm very interested in seeing what you do with this concept! Am I right in thinking that the evil "she" in the trailer is Miss Gale?
twilit.tera (2/27/2010)
Being a fan of both the 39 film and Wicked, I'm very interested in seeing what you do with this concept! Am I right in thinking that the evil "she" in the trailer is Miss Gale?

Now Tera that would be telling, but a clue is "No" Smile.  If you have seen "Wicked" you will know the line from the end of Act 1 said by the character of 'Madame Morrible'.

In my interpretation of Frank Baum's and more so in Gregory Maguire's work the "Evil" person is.......now that would be telling. Tongue

However if you know these pieces of work and see it as I do, it's not difficult to work out who causes the events that unfold. Whistling

Cape!

UPDATE 03/03/2010

Hello All,

I have released the first part of my "Making of" series, for this project.

First part - Composing the Music

You can watch it here:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAJT66arSfE

http://www.tmunderground.com/watch/250a4523ba67a65a7d03/The-Making-of-Wicked-Oz-–-Part-1-–-Composing-the-Music

Hope you enjoy it Smile

Cape!

By Teviniii - 14 Years Ago
Colin, as long as you don't have to deal with Schwartz's lawyers, this sounds very promising. I like "Wicked Oz" a lot.

My one suggestion/observation/reminder is that in musicals, it is VERY IMPORTANT that the lyrics be understood. If there is a repetitive chorus, then of course, by the third hearing, muddy consonants are not as much of an issue.

By Raven2angel - 14 Years Ago
Interesting Smile  Nice to see how things evolve.
Good work BigGrin
Teviniii (3/3/2010)
Colin, as long as you don't have to deal with Schwartz's lawyers, this sounds very promising. I like "Wicked Oz" a lot.

My one suggestion/observation/reminder is that in musicals, it is VERY IMPORTANT that the lyrics be understood. If there is a repetitive chorus, then of course, by the third hearing, muddy consonants are not as much of an issue.

Thanks for the comment.

I suppose if I was doing this for commercial reason then I would have something to worry about.  I have made changes to avoid any relevence to "Wicked" but this is a non-profit project and really will be shown as such.  In this case I have written the songs used in the video.

Regarding the songs I totally agree regarding lyrics being understood.  If you are referring to the "Making Of" video, obviously there is little clarity.  That will not be the case on the final version Smile

Cape Smile

Raven2angel (3/3/2010)
Interesting Smile  Nice to see how things evolve.
Good work BigGrin

Thanks for the comment Smile

By Alley - 14 Years Ago
This was very intersting Colin - thank you for sharing this.  I am really looking forward to this as Wizard of Oz was one of those movies I watched a gazillion times as a kid (despite the fact that it terrified meTongue) and I never did see the play Wicked.  I think it will be great to see an Iclone movie with such an interesting story produced by someone who is creating the music and taking a great deal of time and care into the production.

Again, thanks for sharing your production progress. Smile

Alley (3/3/2010)
This was very intersting Colin - thank you for sharing this.  I am really looking forward to this as Wizard of Oz was one of those movies I watched a gazillion times as a kid (despite the fact that it terrified meTongue) and I never did see the play Wicked.  I think it will be great to see an Iclone movie with such an interesting story produced by someone who is creating the music and taking a great deal of time and care into the production.

Again, thanks for sharing your production progress. Smile

Thanks for the comments and words of encouragement.  These videos will form a "Behind the Scenes" look at the making of this project.

The next part will center on script, story and character development.

Cape! 

By Bigboss - 14 Years Ago
Wow! I almost missed this one... Is that you in the Video Smile

Cool,...

Hey Colin ( I assume this is your name...), I never realized this before but we have many things in common Smile .. The recording session reminded me of previous projects I did with my Band and a musical school... It never occurred to me to make a makeof of an iClone soundtrack but this is really really Cool... And a lot of work I am sure Smile

I share the same passion, Music and iCLone... 

BRAVO! Keep it on ! Smile I will be eagerly awaiting for the next part ... Smile 

BigBoss40 (3/4/2010)
Wow! I almost missed this one... Is that you in the Video Smile

Cool,...

Hey Colin ( I assume this is your name...), I never realized this before but we have many things in common Smile .. The recording session reminded me of previous projects I did with my Band and a musical school... It never occurred to me to make a makeof of an iClone soundtrack but this is really really Cool... And a lot of work I am sure Smile

I share the same passion, Music and iCLone... 

BRAVO! Keep it on ! Smile I will be eagerly awaiting for the next part ... Smile 

Thanks for the comment Big Boss, yes it's me and my name is Colin Smile

Regarding the project I have wanted to do something like this for many years but have been unable to until this point.  Yes it will take time, especially as I'm documenting the process and filming the "Making Of" videos.

However in the end I can then compile or the videos as well as the finished film and look back at not only a finished project, but a journey Smile

Colin!

By gizmo - 14 Years Ago
A Lot of thought going into this production. (I wish I had the same patience).

Good Luck with it Cape. Very interesting.

By the way . . . you don't look or sound how I had envisaged. Funny how images make their way into our heads.

gizmo (3/5/2010)
A Lot of thought going into this production. (I wish I had the same patience).

Good Luck with it Cape. Very interesting.

By the way . . . you don't look or sound how I had envisaged. Funny how images make their way into our heads.

Thanks for watching Gizmo.

Regarding the way I look, well I could never have looked like my Avatar, a coloured box Tongue

UPDATE 07/03/2010

Website has been updated and the first "Making Of" video has had a good response from everyone, which is pleasing.

Currently working on the script and getting that out to VO artist to get a feel for the project.  Will continue with the recording of the music once this has been done.

I'll also be getting the next "Making Of" video done and releasing that in the next few weeks.

Really enjoying making this.  My children are also very keen on this project, which is exactly the audience I'm aiming it at Smile

Cape!

UPDATE 13/03/2010

I have been asked to go on the "Ken and Roger" show tomorrow 14/03/2010.  I'll be discussing iClone, animation, music and obviously this project "Wicked Oz".

I should be one of the first guests so hopefully some of you can tune it.

It all starts at 2 pm Eastern, 7 pm in the UK, 8 pm in Europe. To listen, go to the TMOA website and open one of the conveniently located stream links on the right.  There's also a chat room TMOA chatroom.

So hopefully see you then.

Cape!

MINOR UPDATE 15/03/2010

Had a blast on the Ken and Roger show yesterday as usual Tongue.  Discussed the "Wicked Oz" project in some length and some of my future aspirations.

Hope some of you got the chance to listen, if not when the download is available I'll post it on here for those interested.

Thanks

Cape Smile

UPDATE 09/04/2010

Website updated with the latest news.  Currently been tied up a little, in a local show I've been asked to be the lighting technician for.  But the show ends on Saturday 10th April so I'll be free again.

Wicked Oz continues to build but at a slower rate, currently I'm about a month behind schedule.

You can also listen to all my appearances on the TMOA podcast show on my website.

Thanks

Cape!

UPDATE 09/06/2010

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to let everyone know that I have just released the first song from my next project "Hope".

The official music video is available to watch on YouTube and features my daughter Catherine singing and my son Anthony on drums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7vNMZuO2uw

Please enjoy and comment.

Many thanks

Capemedia BigGrin

a very talented family colin - great song
By Wolfzone Digital - 14 Years Ago
Great to see a faily production like this. especially of such high quality. Nice work Colin
By Alley - 14 Years Ago
That was wonderful, a very talented musical family. Smile
aknzrdude (6/9/2010)
a very talented family colin - great song

Wolfzone (6/9/2010)
Great to see a faily production like this. especially of such high quality. Nice work Colin

Alley (6/9/2010)
That was wonderful, a very talented musical family. Smile

Thanks everyone for the kind words, I am blessed to have such wonderful kids.  My daughters dream is to be on the West End so these projects build her confidence up and showcases her talent.

The project is becoming epic, the score has been taking me months to write but every little step like this is step towards the finish line.

Keep with me guys this will definitely be worth the wait BigGrin

Cape!

Alley (3/3/2010)
I never did see the play Wicked.

We saw "Wicked" for the second time in San Francisco (at great cost) because my camerado wanted to. Now, I have been repeatedly asked by the owners of the gay franchise to turn in my ID card because I don't like Broadway musicals. I usually find the singing style brassy, fakey, and cloying, and the same can be said of this one. However, the story is exceedingly clever and it delivers some profound messages about popularity, bullying, believing in oneself, political scape-goating, and fascism. All of these themes are of immense importance to daily life. I have previously advocated that story is the most important thing, and that's why the original Oz movie remains (in my humble) the only perfect movie ever made, and why this highly revisionist musical is also so brilliant.

If I were Capemedia, I wouldn't bother taking refuge in the nonprofit nature of his production as protection from the Wicked producers--I would simply take all pains to steer clear. After all, isn't the glory of being of an artist found in creating something fresh, anyway? In addition, it's going to be hard to bring the storytelling up to the level established by the movie and the new musical.

So see the musical if you can--its popularity is richly deserved. And sincere best wishes to Capemedia. iClone is an animator's dream come true, and it needs a showcase project like this! Smile
Paumanok West (6/10/2010)
Alley (3/3/2010)
I never did see the play Wicked.

We saw "Wicked" for the second time in San Francisco (at great cost) because my camerado wanted to. Now, I have been repeatedly asked by the owners of the gay franchise to turn in my ID card because I don't like Broadway musicals. I usually find the singing style brassy, fakey, and cloying, and the same can be said of this one. However, the story is exceedingly clever and it delivers some profound messages about popularity, bullying, believing in oneself, political scape-goating, and fascism. All of these themes are of immense importance to daily life. I have previously advocated that story is the most important thing, and that's why the original Oz movie remains (in my humble) the only perfect movie ever made, and why this highly revisionist musical is also so brilliant.

If I were Capemedia, I wouldn't bother taking refuge in the nonprofit nature of his production as protection from the Wicked producers--I would simply take all pains to steer clear. After all, isn't the glory of being of an artist found in creating something fresh, anyway? In addition, it's going to be hard to bring the storytelling up to the level established by the movie and the new musical.

So see the musical if you can--its popularity is richly deserved. And sincere best wishes to Capemedia. iClone is an animator's dream come true, and it needs a showcase project like this! Smile

Even though I agree with most of what you say Paumanok, I'm sticking with this project.  I'm writing a hell of a lot of new music, using some of the famous songs from both musicals and trying to come up with a story that is new but based in the well known land of Oz.

Also I have never made a penny to date on any of my projects so why would that be an issue now.  I'm a serious hobbyiest that's it.  My "real world" job is a million miles from this kind of thing and that's why I love doing this....not for the money.

My "real world" job pays the bills, allows me to invest in my hobby, but my hobby is where I'm creative, where I love to be and where regardless of what anybody thinks, will be where I will do the projects that brings me enjoyment first.

Thanks for your views Smile

Cape!

By Illustrator Cathy - 14 Years Ago
"My "real world" job pays the bills, allows me to invest in my hobby, but my hobby is where I'm creative, where I love to be and where regardless of what anybody thinks, will be where I will do the projects that brings me enjoyment first."

Me too! I couldn't agree more. And this project of yours looks awesome, Cape. I look forward to seeing it!

Cathy Hehe

Anim8torCathy (6/11/2010)
"My "real world" job pays the bills, allows me to invest in my hobby, but my hobby is where I'm creative, where I love to be and where regardless of what anybody thinks, will be where I will do the projects that brings me enjoyment first."

Me too! I couldn't agree more. And this project of yours looks awesome, Cape. I look forward to seeing it!

Cathy Hehe

Hello Cathy, thanks for the support.  This is an epic project but one I do not want to rush.  If it takes me 2 years to complete then so be it Smile

Release the flying monkeys
yeah cape i think a lot of us are in the same boat - this hobby is my stress relief - so to me it does not matter how long it takes or how crappy the work turns out - the fun is in the doing

people liking it is icing on the cake

Capemedia (6/14/2010)
Anim8torCathy (6/11/2010)

Cathy Hehe

Hello Cathy, thanks for the support. This is an epic project but one I do not want to rush. If it takes me 2 years to complete then so be it Smile
Paumanok West (6/14/2010)
Release the flying monkeys

Yeah I have checked those out thanks.  However Elphaba has more then a few flying monkeys at her disposal in "Wicked Oz" Tongue

aknzrdude (6/14/2010)
yeah cape i think a lot of us are in the same boat - this hobby is my stress relief - so to me it does not matter how long it takes or how crappy the work turns out - the fun is in the doing

people liking it is icing on the cake

Thanks Gabe!

It's so nice to know people are behind you.  This project is possibly the biggest thing I have ever attempted and it will take time Cool

By warlord720 - 14 Years Ago
From what I know of your past work... this may just be what iClone needs to get it over the hump along with work like Gabe and others are doing.

You're a real pro and an inspiration in many things from process to output.