Physics - Hinges - Free Energy

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic394490.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Lord Ashes - 6 Years Ago
I am trying to fake a chain by connecting a bunch of small objects (in this case boxes) together using hinges and then to each box I will add a bigger mesh object (with collision tuned off) so that the chain looks like it is connected but will not rip apart due to collisions (since the small boxes which are physics enabled are spaced far apart to avoid collisions). This is the base of my physics enabled cable being sold in my marketplace.
The issue I am having is that even though I don't believe I am getting collisions the result is very spastic. It jumps all over the place and even when it starts to die out (I tried to put elasticity low and damping and friction high) there are sudden bursts of energy which restart the spastic behavior. Any ideas what I can do to calm the results?

By mark - 6 Years Ago
I'm sure you'll want something better than this but....I did this old clip way back in iC5 and as I remember didn't use any constraints just made the links Dynamic self-meshes and the "Torus" shackle at the wrist Kinematic and let nature do the rest...