Nvidia RTX 2080 ti card failers

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic392796.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Kevin.S - 6 Years Ago
The 2080ti cards have been failing and dying, be aware of this issue if you are thinking of buying one.

Article
By wires - 6 Years Ago
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear! w00tAlien
By jarretttowe - 6 Years Ago
Considering the performance of the previous cards, there's not a tremendous reason to move into the 20xx series at this point, especially considering the iRay support delay. 1080ti and 980ti are plenty good enough.
By charly Rama - 6 Years Ago
finally, I'll stay with my 1070 for few years BigGrin
By Kelleytoons - 6 Years Ago
Given that my Titan outperforms them in iClone by a factor of 3x, I'll just stay with it.
By Evey Fawkes - 5 Years Ago
Hi,

MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 
would be a great choice then?
How LOUD is it (or what you have) when it renders a short video?
I can't find any advice on quiet cards that work great.
Was offered a new system with a Quadro card, so I could have it put into a fanless computer, but Reallusion sais it does not work.

Want so much to have a quiet system build. Money upto 5K no problem, just dont know what to choose so it's QUIET.
What I have now (1050 nvidia) is really loud (cheap computer) but I disconnected the fans both on motherboard as on videocard to quiet it down a bit.
No real long term plan, right?

Any advice welcome... thanks.

Evey
By Kevin.S - 5 Years Ago
IamAnonymous (1/3/2019)
Hi,

MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 
would be a great choice then?
How LOUD is it (or what you have) when it renders a short video?
I can't find any advice on quiet cards that work great.
Was offered a new system with a Quadro card, so I could have it put into a fanless computer, but Reallusion sais it does not work.
Want so much to have a quiet system build. Money upto 5K no problem, just dont know what to choose so it's QUIET.
What I have now (1050 nvidia) is really loud (cheap computer) but I disconnected the fans both on motherboard as on videocard to quiet it down a bit.
No real long term plan, right?

Any advice welcome... thanks.

Evey

1st do not unplug fans! you can/will burn out chips! not to mention cause a fire if you have any lint in your system..
Fans are there for a reason to cool your system! it is better to keep a computer as cool as possible!:

1070 1080 ti are great cards but for the money id go with an RTX card since 5k no problem..
if you want a quieter system go liquid cooling..

Hi, sorry to bother you again, but I'm having troubles finding out which graphics card to put into my new system.
I'm having a desktop built, because I need a very quiet machine. Hubby is a musician and the constant humming of an ordinairy system drives him up the walls. 
These are the cards I can chose from. Which work and which dont.

My current card is  a regular gtx1050. works fine.
The ones they are selling are fanless cards, and those are the type I need, with the noise problems. Simpel watercooling still will cause a lot of noise, at least, thats what I see from all the stats posted in reviews. Really spending money here, so I can't risk buying something quiet and finding out iClone doesn't work great on it. Making cute iClone vids is the whole point of buying the desktop.
Please help a lady out here.. THanks.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By Kelleytoons - 5 Years Ago
I wouldn't get anything but at least a GTX (NOT RTX) 1080 for you (1080 Ti is best in that line).  GTX Titan is better, but either will need a fan because once you start getting a decent GPU they start throwing off a TON of heat.  No getting away from it.

But why should this be an issue for you?  The PC can be located almost anywhere -- if noise is a REAL issue just put it in a closet somewhere, like you would a server.  You can get cables and wireless abilities to move the keyboard, monitor and mouse ANYWHERE (even 30 feet away).  It doesn't even have to be in the same room.  Nowadays, since most PCs are diskless (no DVD/CD drives in the higher end ones and no real need for them) you don't particularly need access to it (you can run USB cables for such devices but USB is limited to 15 feet for complete reliability -- some folks have been able to use USB repeaters and gotten good results further, but I wouldn't count on it for critical things.  Then again, not sure what you have in mind for your system).
By justaviking - 5 Years Ago
I was thinking similar to what Kelleytoons said.

Many cards will adjust the fan speed based on the temperature, so the fan will be spinning very slowly (or not at all) when the GPU is under light load.  Same for the CPU and case fans.  So the system should only be "noisy" when being used intensely (heavy editing, and of course rendering).

You can also set your computer to hibernate when it's been idle for a while, in which case it effectively shuts off.  With a modern computer that has an SSD for Drive C:, it will wake up from hibernation very quickly.

Having said all that, you can find "noise data" for various cards, but you need to have some feel for what the numbers mean, since decibels are not a linear scale.  For example, scroll down to the bottom of this card-to-card comparison...  https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2139?vs=2149

I gave this some more thought -- I'm sitting, like, right on top of my computer and I'm running the heavy duty GTX Titan with a HUGE fan (it requires two power supplies to keep it running) and I can't even hear it at all (what I do hear is the computer fan, which is NOT the same thing.  Now, my computer is also running a water cooled system because it came that way (and because, well, two power supplies) but in any case I hear more noise coming from my NAS (network storage) sitting on top of the desk than I do from underneath.

As Dennis says, depending on what you do the noise increases.  If I were to render something I then DO hear my GPU card rev up, but rendering is not usual (my computer is used for animation around 90% of the time, but only about 5% of that is actual rendering, and even that can be when everyone is sleeping).  So you *may* be worrying too much about noise in any case.
By TonyDPrime - 5 Years Ago
I will say, on the performance end, that it does seem to only make sense to get a 2080Ti if using Unreal and RTX raytracing.
Outside of this, the gain in other applications is not to much.  In Octane forums, for example, users are not seeing any serious substantial rendering gains vs 1080Ti.
Hi and thanks for replying.
I live in the Netherlands. We have tiny houses here, compared to the US. Walls are concrete in stead of wood/plaster and rooms smaller. Not a lot of cupboard space. You kinda work with it, but it is limiting.
Not so easy to find the space to build in your computer somewhere. 

PC makes a lot of noise, even when "just posting on the internet". Constant humming, even with the ventilator wires unplugged (I know I shouldn't be doing that) Rendering makes is much, much worse.

This is the system I want to buy.
 https://www.deltatronic.de/en/pc-en/desktop-silentium-amd
They specialize in building absolutely silent PC's, with special noiseless power supply etc.
Company has been around for a long time and it all looks good. I just want to make sure I'm picking a great graphics card.

So which card should I pick? The cards listed to choose from are all adapted for "passive cooling". Does anyone have any experience with these?
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti KalmX
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti OC
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX1060 
Should I go for the 1060 with its 6GB memory or is it a waste of money?

Thank you all for replying.

Hi and thanks for replying.
I live in the Netherlands. We have tiny houses here, compared to the US. Walls are concrete in stead of wood/plaster and rooms smaller. Not a lot of cupboard space. You kinda work with it, but it is limiting.
Not so easy to find the space to build in your computer somewhere. 

PC makes a lot of noise, even when "just posting on the internet". Constant humming, even with the ventilator wires unplugged (I know I shouldn't be doing that) Rendering makes is much, much worse.

This is the system I want to buy.
 https://www.deltatronic.de/en/pc-en/desktop-silentium-amd
They specialize in building absolutely silent PC's, with special noiseless power supply etc.
Company has been around for a long time and it all looks good. I just want to make sure I'm picking a great graphics card.

So which card should I pick? The cards listed to choose from are all adapted for "passive cooling". Does anyone have any experience with these?
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti KalmX
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti OC
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX1060 
Should I go for the 1060 with its 6GB memory or is it a waste of money?

Thank you all for replying.
The problem is that none of those cards are very good for iClone 7.  You need, at the very least, a 1070 card (and you might as well get a 1080 for the price/performance.  Either way you'll have to have a fan).  Oh, you can run iClone with a 1060 but it will be slow as molasses and VERY frustrating (and rendering will be such a PITA you may well give up).

But even if you have small houses and concrete walls -- so what?  You can put the PC in one room, drill a hole through your wall (I've lived in houses with concrete walls and drilled holes through them -- no biggie) and have your monitor, mouse and keyboard in another room.  So the only problem is if your sensitive hubby is in that particular room (and, honestly, if he's THAT particular he can't stand it, tell him to go for a walk or something.  Or tell him to come into your computer room, where it's quiet, and take a nap).

You just will not be happy building a nice machine with a crappy GPU.  Trust me.
Thank you, @Kellytoons for your reply.
Putting my PC in another room, anywhere in the house, just won't do.
Hubby has autistism issues and can't bear the noise (long story).
I really, REALLY need a fanless pc, and ditto video card, no matter what.
I wouln't be spending this sorta cash if it wasn't REALLY REALLY an issue.
NVIDIA has zero decibel technology in a few types of cards, and combined with the fanless pc with fanless power supply etc and SDD memory in stead of
HDD I'll be enjoying something very quiet. I have an 1050 right now, and it's ok, though slow, but I thought that was due to my RAM memory not being that high. I have an AMD athlon quad core 8MB 3,5 hz

My alternatives are either:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX1060 or (6 GB)
NVIDIA GeForce RTX2070 (8 GB)
I wonder if either of them would do??
Do you know of any other cards with zero Db noise that you could recommend?

Thanks again.

Again, a 1070/2070 (essentially the same card except one is different architecture) is the minimum I'd recommend.  The 1060 series is going to be zero improvement on your 1050, so if you can judge from that (IOW, if you can live with that, fine, otherwise, upgrade).

I suppose if the 2070 doesn't work for you in terms of speed you can always sell it and consider other alternatives.  How about someone constructing a special cabinet for you?  Assuming it's large enough it shouldn't overheat and it could be as soundproof as you want.  That's another way to go.  But the sad truth is that GPU technology today is hot and the better the card the hotter it is (the more wattage it will consume.  There ain't no such thing as a free lunch).
By argus1000 - 5 Years Ago
I have a nVidia RTX Titan card myself. with 24 GB of VRAM .They don't fail. Not under my watch anyway. Before, I had  a nVidia GTX 1080 with 8GB of VRAM. and an air cooling system. It was very quiet.

Now, since the Titan RTX is a more powerful card (I have only praise for it), I decided to switch to a water cooling system for the video card. It makes a bit of noise. I wish I could get rid of it.
By animagic - 5 Years Ago
If you have a decent case and they use something like MSI Afterburner to tune the fans (so their speed adjusts with temperature) it should be pretty quiet. Like others have said I would not go for a card below a GTX 1070.

An underpowered system will be a disappointment and your groaning because of it may well cause more noise than the PC..Tongue So I think you will somehow have a to find a compromise.
wow you people, those titan cards cost a fortune here in Europe. 2K and 3K in euro's. I mean WOW that is a LOT of money!!
You lucky devils, enjoy all the wonders you people can whip up with that kind of powerrrrrrrrrrrr.
I sent out an inquiry to the firm I wish to build my new machine. They specialize in noiseless PC's, so let's see if they can deliver a machine with a better card than what they're offering now.
Thank you everyone for your help. Kinda hard figuring out all this stuff if you're not a wizz-kid!

By argus1000 - 5 Years Ago
IamAnonymous (6/29/2019)
wow you people, those titan cards cost a fortune here in Europe. 2K and 3K in euro's. I mean WOW that is a LOT of money!!

You bet! Since  bought my nVidia Titan RTX 24 GB VRAM (USD $2499), I have to take my meals now at the soup kitchen.

But I get performance!

By rgreenidge - 5 Years Ago
Iam, I hope you got the system you want. I am baffled, humming? Okay in the Netherlands you use 240v and 50 Hz. I wonder if that is the 50 Hz or power supply you hear. I haven't heard computers hum here, and I lost count of how many I built. Back in the days of recording music, no one recorded in the control room, because the tape machines made noises. Today I like recording in the control room if I can. I have a full size case with 5-120 mm case fans, with a front panel fan control that I leave in auto. Two fans on top, front, and one in the back. My CPU has two 120 mm, the power supply has a monster fan. The computer is on the floor with no sound isolating padding. Unless my head is near the computer, I can't even tell when it is on even when it is rendering overnight. I have to wait to see if the hard drive led will flicker to tell me it is still alive, because I turn off the monitors. Up to last week I recorder everyone right in the control room. My microphones are picking nothing up from the computer. I did check the stated noise level of the case fans before I bought them. But the air conditioner and if I use a fan in the room they have to be turned off If I record. I have a GTX1080 card with 3 fans also. So that's 11 fans total I have blowing and I have to put my head about 6 inches away to hear them at all. Magnetic, and Optical hard drives, can make some strange noises now and then. But if you have a solid state drive, quiet case fans and a power supply. Humming usually comes from the line frequency, or something being shorted. Do you have a step down transformer or voltage reducer for computer to use at 120 volts, that could be the hum your husband hears? Good luck.