What tutorial for bringing Daz characters into CC 3.02 is considered the most current? I know things changed after the initial rollout of CC3.

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic392296.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By jarretttowe - 6 Years Ago
What tutorial for bringing Daz characters into CC 3.02 is considered the most current? I know things changed after the initial rollout of CC3.
I'm trying to sort it out, but there are a LOT of forum posts, pinned forum posts, and YouTube videos, and I'm kind of left wondering which one is the best?
Thank you!

By Kelleytoons - 6 Years Ago
There's not much to it, and I'm not sure you really need a tutorial.  You basically export from Daz with the output options Merge Clothing, and the two "Allows" checkmarked (but nothing else), using 2012 Binary, and with export options Figures/props/locks/limits/morphs checked (animations is optional but I leave it checked) and press the Transformer button in CC3.

You are then asked if you want Basic or Advanced (if you are doing an avatar with or without clothing and want to preserve all the textures of that avatar choose Advanced -- for anything else Basic is just fine), and then when the tab comes up that shows you all that you are importing you checkmark the bake mesh if, again, you are doing an avatar and want all the textures with it.  And that's it.

Now, once it's imported you still have work you can do -- you can transfer weights (recommended if you imported clothing), make weight maps for hair and clothing, adjust mesh weighting manually, conform, etc. but that's pretty standard for almost any clothing.  Why don't you try it and see what you might want help with and I'm sure we can help you around here.
Thanks...I'll give it a shot!
Ok, I followed the instructions -- I ended up with a plain white male character, when i had exported a fully textured female. I'll have to keep working on it.
Oooookay, that sounds kind of impossible although interesting.

What Daz character were you trying to import?  Let me know and maybe I'll put together a (very) quick tutorial on just how (and if you had an outfit let me know which one as well).
Ok we're getting somewhere...I went back and exported again with collect materials checked. I went back to CC3 and re-imported. Of course I hadn't used the t-pose before (I wondered where that would come into play), so the pose is wrong, but the character IS textured.
below is the original Daz render and last is the CC3 render:

Daz:

CC3:

So...not perfect, of course. But I didn't expect it to be a 1-to-1 conversion from iray. But I can definitely see the potential. This is going to be awesome when I learn how to add my daz content and use it on the CC characters too. I always felt the hair in CC was too limited, and this really opens that up. I have been looking for a unified movie making tool for years, and fell away from iClone when iRay came around...I love daz, but I feel like the potential for animation here is superior. Of course, I need to buy the curve editor, etc, but I can see the light! Will CC3 allow me to use physics on the hair and soft body physics on the body eventually?
Ok there is some good stuff here. I didn't realize CC3 would also open all of my Daz exr files (I assumed it would just work on normal hdr):
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/8affcfe7-53c2-4636-a414-2321.png
Why do I feel like this is going to start me back on a search for a motherboard that will accept multiple 1080ti's?
No, you definitely do NOT want to collect those textures.  They will not come in correctly otherwise.

Do as I suggested.  If it isn't working then tell me the figure and clothing and I'll show you in detail.  Trust me, once it comes in with the right textures you will find it almost impossible to tell from the Daz version.
Ok...I will do as you recommend and report back.
Choose the High detail as well, and bake those textures.
Will do!
It is a g8f based on Teen Josie 8, if that means anything.
Ok, so I went back and re-exported without texture collection checked. When I then went to cc3 and hit transformer, it gave me the option for basic and advanced. I hit advanced. It continued with the import, but never game me any options for baking.
Here is the result with the same model as above only without texture collection.

This would seem to be incorrect LOL.
I'm not sure what's going on with you -- but here's a down and dirty video showing how it works.

If this process isn't working for you I would completely remove CC3 (both parts -- there are two of them) from your computer using the Windows delete function, and then let the Hub reinstall them.  Then try again.

By animagic - 6 Years Ago
Thanks, Mike. RL has not yet updated their tutorial. In fact, I did this all wrong (I did save the textures out per the earlier "official" RL tutorial), but it still worked...Unsure 

EDIT: The "correct' way works as well, so that will save some disk space. The only other difference is that I've been using FBX 2011 (also per the RL tutorial).
By TheOldBuffer - 6 Years Ago
The character creator online manual provides excellent instructions on how to import from daz.
animagic (11/5/2018)

EDIT: The "correct' way works as well, so that will save some disk space. The only other difference is that I've been using FBX 2011 (also per the RL tutorial).

Actually it won't -- it won't load ALL the textures needed (it will load some, but on some characters it will NOT pick up the necessary maps -- this was a change in the last CC3).  So I would continue to advise NOT to do it the "correct" way.

TheOldBuffer (11/5/2018)
The character creator online manual provides excellent instructions on how to import from daz.

I'll check it out to make sure it is correct.

It occurred to me last night that I might have not changed the mesh resolution to “base”. I will try that again when I get home.
I'm not sure what you're talking about -- I don't know there's any reason to do anything like that (nor do I actually know how to do what you are talking about).
Kelleytoons (11/5/2018)
animagic (11/5/2018)

Actually it won't -- it won't load ALL the textures needed (it will load some, but on some characters it will NOT pick up the necessary maps -- this was a change in the last CC3).  So I would continue to advise NOT to do it the "correct" way.

I can see that "correct" is a confusing term. What I meant with the CORRECT way was YOUR way, where "Embed Textures" and "Collect Textures to Folder" are NOT checked. I hope I got that right...Unsure
Oops, sorry.  Yes, you want to do it that way (I still need to check the manual.  Sigh -- so many things to do and I'm retired).
Hi Kelleytoons -- and everyone else who has participated in this thread! I had read that some daz characters created problems if they were generated with any of the HD morphs. I may have actually used an HD morph on that character. I will try once more after work, then if there is still a problem, remove the applications and re-install.
Thanks for the continued advice.
That's fine.

I have tried with HD morphs and while they don't transfer over (the morphs that is -- there is no difference between using them and not using them) it hasn't caused any issues for me, either.
By Peter (RL) - 6 Years Ago
We now have a new tutorial which should help resolve any problems. Please find it below.

https://youtu.be/OT1IzuPx8cg

And regarding the "Collecting Textures To Folder" option on the Daz Studio Export Panel, this won't normally cause any problems if checked and just puts the Daz textures in a folder which can be convenient to have. The option you need to ensure you leave unchecked is "Embed Textures".
By Reviled - 6 Years Ago
I'm getting the same problem as the OP.

I have tried loading a basic Genesis 8 figure in Daz Studio, then exporting as shown in the Basic Conversion guide:
http://manual.reallusion.com/Character_Creator_3/ENU/3/Content/Character_Creator_3/3/09_Transformer/Basic_Conversion.htm

In CC3 I click Transformer and then select the FBX exported figure.  It seems to be importing, but then I do not see the Asset Import Status Report and the figure in CC3 goes white and without morphs.  I have tried loading the same exported FBX file into 3DExchange 7.3 and it imports without any problems.

I have also tried setting the resolution level of the figure and clothing in Daz Studio to "Base" but there is no difference on the outcome.

I have recorded the steps that I have tried, hopefully someone can see something that I am doing wrong.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
The first thing that immediately jumps out at me is you have subd checked in the export options -- that's a no-no.

Try it without that and let us know what happens.
By Reviled - 6 Years Ago
Thank you for replying.

The subD setting is ticked like that in both the video posted above by Peter (RL) and in the CC3 online manual.  However, I will follow your advice and see if it makes a difference, and then post back.

Thank you again.
By Reviled - 6 Years Ago
Just in case something had gone wrong with the installation, I uninstalled CC3 and CC£ pipeline, and reinstalled again.  That just finished, so I tried exporting Genesis 8 without the SubD ticked, and got the same result.

I have also tried importing a Genesis 1 figure with no difference.
I then went into Poser, exported a Vicki 4 figure as shown on the Reallusion forums, and got exactly the same result in CC3 - a blank white figure and again no Asset Import Status report.

Any further suggestions would be appreciated.
Let's try the usual suspects.

Are your video drivers up to date?  Make sure you go to the drivers site (of whatever maker you have) and check and, if not, update them.

Then try with a naked Gen 8 female but click the "Advanced" tab on the import.

Let me know what happens in both of those cases.
By Reviled - 6 Years Ago
I updated the nvidia drivers to the latest version and then tried to import the Genesis 8 FBX file with subD unticked in the export - same result as before.  Also tried with the original FBX file that I had first tried (subD ticked) and same result.

Next I exported a G8F figure with nothing added or changed and clicked the Advanced button on the import in CC3.  Although this took a bit longer, the end result was the same - unmorphed white figure.
If another user hadn't reported having the exact same problems I'd be hard pressed to believe there wasn't something seriously wrong with your system, but we've seen this once before.  And IIRC that user suddenly was able to do things without any further changes (I'll have to check to see if I can find that thread and see -- maybe we can put the two of you in touch with each other).

That's about all I can think of other than filing a trouble ticket with RL (which you should probably do).  If I find the other person I'll direct them this way and perhaps that will help (although I don't remember him doing anything special to fix the issue).
By Reviled - 6 Years Ago
Thank you for your suggestions.  It seems to me as though something is missing from the CC3 installation that is preventing it from recognising the Daz figures.  I don't think it is the Daz Studio installation, since 3DExchange imports them perfectly well, and have been able to get them into iClone from there.  Only CC3 seems to have the issue.

I have filed a ticket with Reallusion and I'll post back here if I get a solution.
Okay -- I was going to suggest me sending you an FBX that I know works, but if you are able to import via XChange then it's most likely NOT Daz.  Keep us posted on what you find.
The first time I tried I got a white figure also. Of course, I have no idea why that was. I believe it was because I had selected Basic...Unsure

Now that I'm writing this, I remember. I had failed to check Bake Body Texture. Did you check that?
By Reviled - 6 Years Ago
Thanks for the suggestion, Animagic.  Unfortunately, the "Bake Body Texture" checkbox is on the Asset Import Status Report.  Part of the problems seems to be that this is not popping up during import.
Reviled (11/11/2018)
Thanks for the suggestion, Animagic.  Unfortunately, the "Bake Body Texture" checkbox is on the Asset Import Status Report.  Part of the problems seems to be that this is not popping up during import.

Hmm, this is baffling...Unsure Kelley knows much more about this than I do. I just follow the steps and the dialog pops up.

EDIT: Fixed typo...Blush
By Reviled - 6 Years Ago
As promised earlier in this thread, I am posting to report a solution to the "white figure" problem.

After working with support, I was asked to send screenshots of exe and dll file properties.  After doing this, whilst I was in the installation folder, I had an idea to right-click the CC3 executable file and "Run as Administrator".  This fixed the problem.  Not something I thought to try earlier, as my usual account on the computer has full admin priveleges.

I do have to say though that even though Reallusion support did not get a solution for me in this case, they were excellent in their help - systematic and quick to get back to me.

I have now tested CC3 with a Genesis 8 Female exported from Daz, and with a Victoria 4 exported from Poser.  Both worked exactly as they were supposed to.  Now I just need to reinstall iClone and I can get back to work.

Thank you once again to the people who posted here with suggestions.
Wow -- that never would have occurred to me to even try -- but thanks for reporting back to us, as I'm sure it will help others in the future (as well as help RL fix the basic issue).

I'm still trying to wrap my head around why that would be an issue for you and not for the rest of us (because I'm running my computer the same as you are).  Or even why running not as admin would cause that weird symptom.  Strange.

Glad you got it working, though!
Sounds like sort of a file-writing permission problem, which are often hard to trace.
By eternityblue - 6 Years Ago
What about getting all the extra layers you can add to a Genesis skin like tattoos? And what about Gen 8 characters with only mesh eyebrows? I'd love if CC had a skin creator where you could really dig in and add different eyebrows and skin elements. Wasn't that in CC2? 
I'm not sure what your problem is -- you can apply tattoos inside of Daz and transfer them over to CC3 like any other texture (and apply them to other CC3 characters.

Fibermesh eyebrows also come across, as cloth, but they won't react to eyebrow expressions the same way that moustaches will not react to lip expressions.  Not much can be done about either one, since that's the whole way iClone (and thus CC3) is built -- they'd have to rebuild it and that's not happening anytime soon.
eternityblue (12/10/2018)
What about getting all the extra layers you can add to a Genesis skin like tattoos? And what about Gen 8 characters with only mesh eyebrows? I'd love if CC had a skin creator where you could really dig in and add different eyebrows and skin elements. Wasn't that in CC2? 

There will be an updated appearance editor that will support CC3 characters. This will then give the option to change eyebrows and add decals for tattoos as in CC2. The eyebrow option changes the texture (as in CC2), so it's not a separate mesh. You can use displacement maps to give eyebrows more depth, if so desired.
I'm not sure how the maps are identified and imported, but I have tried importing DAZ characters with tattoos and everything but the tattoo transferred, I just tested it again and some DAZ skin additions like tattoos are actually "attachments" and get imported to CC3 as cloth, not baked into the skin texture at all. This is with Genesis 8 character. If the character has a separate texture image variant with a tattoo, not some sort of overlay, it will be transferred. I have no idea what works/doesn't across all the different DAZ variants. 

I would still like to be able to specify exactly what files to use in import, see what it is going to use before starting the long conversion process, some 'advanced' settings for that would be nice. 
Oh, and if I do try and use the tattoo, it majorly messes up the character when it gets imported to CC3, the weight mapping apparently, so using it isn't an option. This is important I guess for anyone shopping for DAZ characters, not all the 'skins' are going to work. 
I only have a rudimentary knowledge of DAZ, but isn't there an option to combine textures in a single layer?

Something I have done in the past is to use the Blend channel to add tattoos or labels on clothing, as this didn't work correctly for a while in the previous version of CC.
eternityblue (12/11/2018)
Oh, and if I do try and use the tattoo, it majorly messes up the character when it gets imported to CC3, the weight mapping apparently, so using it isn't an option. This is important I guess for anyone shopping for DAZ characters, not all the 'skins' are going to work. 

Can you give me a specific example (name of character and/or tattoo you are trying)?  I'm having no troubles with any I try.
Eva 8 and Mai Lin 8 I think both have tattoos that I've tried. They show up as cloth in Cc3 when imported. I'll have to look into combining textures in Daz, but their bake system so far didn't get me good results. I need to figure that out. 
Mei Lin doesn't have tattoos -- she has some face paint in various combinations.  Works just fine (comes in as normal textures).

And, yes, Eva 8's tattoos are indeed set up as props (which will come in as cloth).  Kind of weird -- I don't do enough in Daz to know why they do it that way but it's annoying.  There are workarounds (you can take those textures and apply them yourself as an overlay but you'll need to do this BEFORE you export the Daz avatar, as the CC3 UV remapping makes it impossible afterwards).
Yeah, I'm not sure what other models have these attachment tattoos, but I know I have one or two beyond Eva, maybe one of the Mai Lin characters, I bought the bundle with Mai Lin 6-8 and lots of characters and stuff. And yeah, you can edit textures before import, I just thought there MIGHT be a workaround. I should try asking on DAZ forums instead. I need to go watch a tutorial about baking DAZ textures and get a handle on that. And maybe a tut on painting skin in Substance Painter. It will be nice when CC3 gets the skin editor back, I don't remember if that comes with CC essential skin and morphs or not, will that be a paid upgrade?