Unreal Digital Humans

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic389550.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By yoyomaster - 6 Years Ago
I haven't seen this on the forum, for those using Unreal, some really great real-time character demos on that page, I really wish that iClone native render engine could come close to this level of quality, maybe in the future?
Digital Humans | Unreal Engine
By Peter (RL) - 6 Years Ago
Thanks for sharing the link. It's a great read.

As technology continues to advance in digital character animation you can certainly expect to see this reflected in future iClone versions. 
By toystorylab - 6 Years Ago
Wow, this is crazy!
No more absurd wages for actors BigGrin
The optic made digital, actors can look ugly in their mocap suit...
90 frames a second??
That must be a huge render farm.
A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.
By mtakerkart - 6 Years Ago
hohoho!!! You tease my curiosity Peter !! May if you  heard something about something of an eventually may possible render update ? w00t
I'm not talking about a release date but of what is said in the Reallusion corridors BigGrin
By justaviking - 6 Years Ago
mtakerkart (10/22/2018)
hohoho!!! You tease my curiosity Peter !! May if you  heard something about something of an eventually may possible render update ? w00t
I'm not talking about a release date but of what is said in the Reallusion corridors BigGrin

I (and many others) really appreciated the "2018 Roadmap" Reallusion shared with us.

I think the community was fairly tolerant and civilized about changes to the plan (a.k.a. "good intentions") this time, and did not unfairly brutalize Reallusion when adjustments were made.  Maybe they can trust us again.

Now with CC3 released, and nearing the end of 2018, how about an update to the Roadmap?  It can be a 4-quarter outlook, no need to wait until 2019 to share your vision with us.

By TonyDPrime - 6 Years Ago
I can sum this up now because it has been talked about already in forum posts already, and much information has come to light.
Commenting on this realism degree we see from UE4, and as it relates to it being a part of iClone in the near future:

1) iClone realtime is based off of Nvidia VXGI, whereas Unreal uses its own Global Illumination system. 
Thus iClone cannot match certain effects and lighting features UE4 can achieve.  VXGI will be the bottleneck, not iClone's intended innovation.

2) the digital figures in the Unreal video are not the CC3 or Daz based model set.  They are separate creations with much higher resolution as far as polygon count and texture mapping size.
If you import in your CC3 characters to UE4, you will not see the same LOD that these figures have.  And even if you could reverse import in these figures in iClone, you would not have them walking around in a scene, or compatible with the animation features. 

It will not be iClone that innovates this movement forward, it will be a larger industry hardware and OS move that allows for this.

Do I want this in iClone ?  YES YES YES YES YES!
But I think it is not accurate to imagine this is going to just appear by sheer artistic desire on our part.  We could be surprised, but there are specific and real structural barriers presently.
Just my $1.02 cents.  Angry
By animagic - 6 Years Ago
That's why the title of this thread is "Unreal Digital Humans"...Tongue
Microsoft released DirectX ray tracing, AKA DXR, as part of DX12 and the 10th of October windows 10 update, this means that win10 can use the new real-time ray-tracing capabilities of the new Nvidia Turing chips, already several demos online, even some you can download if you have the GF RTX graphic cards, AMD is supposed to release compatible cards soon as well, now lets hope that Iray will support it too in the near future.

Also, there are tons of SDK and programming support from MS to integrate this into applications, maybe RL should have a look at this?

https://devblogs.nvidia.com/introduction-nvidia-rtx-directx-ray-tracing/
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/9lcs4u/microsoft_dxr_demos_compiled_for_windows_10/
By animagic - 6 Years Ago
I had just wondered what DX 12 would bring us, so this sounds very interesting.
By TonyDPrime - 6 Years Ago
It’s been a month already, it didn’t bring us anything 👿
TonyDPrime (11/12/2018)
It’s been a month already, it didn’t bring us anything 👿

LOL, good one! Smile