Reallusion, time to officially support version rollbacks...

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic383769.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Dr. Nemesis - 6 Years Ago
Or make links available to specific versions of software.
The new version of Iclone is out and I applaud many of the improvements. But 1 or 2 of them are causing me enough trouble that I really think going back to 7.22 is my best course of action.

"But you should never install the updated versions immediately because they have bugs!" I hear some of you say.
Well that's dumb. Bumping into the bugs is how we find them and report them. Waiting for the first round of bug fixes before installing new versions is a counterproductive solution in the end.

RA please help out those of us who adopt new versions early by making it easy for us to switch back. I installed, found bugs, filed them in the feedback tracker. But it'd be nice now to get back to a version that functions better.

By musicaz - 6 Years Ago
  I usually prefer to let others be the beta testors who pay for software to iron out the bugs , then when its all good then its time for me to either update a patch or even pay for an upgrade then all the silly head aches are often gone plus i dont have to become an ugly nuisance looking for solutions to issues that might not happen for a year in some cases . Any time i break this self imposed rule i regret it and i truly dont like asking questions in forums and feeling frustrated that things aren't  working correctly but if i wait and pay later its almost always a much smoother and more pleasant experience . !
That process is smooth for you partly thanks to those who install while you’re waiting.
“Sit and wait” is great advice for those who aren’t trying to contribute to making these tools better.
By musicaz - 6 Years Ago
   I  made a similiar comment on another post in this forum that i have been purchasing software and content from reallusion since 2009 . And i will likely purchase more content and software in the future , in fact today i upgraded to character creator 3 pipeline . But i hope no one would be offended if i said that mostly the only way i ever want to contribute to any software company is by purchasing their software . I  wouldnt be a beta testor for any software even if i was payed , its just not my thing . Perhaps i am not a good customer . 
There's nothing wrong with that. This post just isn't for you.
By musicaz - 6 Years Ago
I agree mostly with the op to support version rollbacks so i support his post absolutely !  
Thanks.
By wildstar - 6 Years Ago
you find a way to rollback to 7.2 ? i am deleted my install after install 7.3 Sad but i promisse i never do it again
By wires - 6 Years Ago
The issues reported here are the one and only reason that I have a Backup copy of every Reallusion product installer, and Patch, that I ever purchased - and that's going back to iClone 2.
It's becoming more and more difficult to obtain older versions of software from just about any company today.

USB hard drives are cheap, and USB sticks even cheaper, and have enough space to store any number of earlier versions. The days of having software on discs and CDs are long gone.
By Cary B - 6 Years Ago
For one of the updates for Iclone 6, something screwed up either in my download or the release. I found that ALL my previous Iclone projects were corrupted and became unusable by the new version. I have since been super-cautious about updating, and while that particular nightmare never occurred again, I have found on several occasions that the new updates "broke" some feature or function I depend on. 

I haven't updated to 7.3 for that reason, though I understand that the only way to find the bugs is for someone to take the plunge. I appreciate those who risk it and help expose the issues.And I too support the idea of the ability of a roilback to previous versions while the issues are ironed out. Otherwise you can be really delayed in your projects, unable to move forward. 

So, what are the major issues with the new version? 

The thing is, it shouldn't be on us to individually maintain a library of Iclone installs.
If this is the constant reward for updating to new versions why would I do it? 
Providing links to previous versions would be trivial. Lots of other software already does this.
I was so happy about the improvements and then experienced the bugs and it's really soured the whole thing.
Not to mention the lost time.
By AutoDidact - 6 Years Ago
Dr. Nemesis (9/29/2018)
The thing is, it shouldn't be on us to individually maintain a library of Iclone installs.
If this is the constant reward for updating to new versions why would I do it? 
Providing links to previous versions would be trivial.

The problem with officially providing the older versions from the company, is that you have keep staff on hand who are running the older versions and the PC/hardware configurations that support those older builds .
People will expect tech support for these "official"  older versions
because, presumably, they paid for them in the past.
so to even offer them with the caveat of no tech support would likely be a public relations nightmare.

Autodidact, that’d make sense if they were testing current versions before release. Not too sure that’s the case.

I got a reply from support and I’ll be getting no help with this problem. So officially it’s up to us as individuals to deal with it, which means no more updating to main releases for me.

I tried to do my part. Aparently the lols are on me.

I’ll be contacting some of you proivately to try and get back to 7.22

To backup a version patch, go to the folder:
"C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Reallusion\RLDownloads\"
(adjusted for your own computer, of course)
just after you update (before you restart your computer).

Backup these files for when there's a future emergency.
By bexley - 6 Years Ago
How do you roll back?  I've never had to do it before.  I have all my patches in a folder, but I don't know the proceedure.

Now THAT would be a tutorial!

Thanks!

--Bex.
By wires - 6 Years Ago
bexley (10/21/2018)
How do you roll back?  I've never had to do it before.  I have all my patches in a folder, but I don't know the proceedure.

Now THAT would be a tutorial!

Thanks!

--Bex.

It's quite simple. You just uninstall the version on your PC and then reinstall the older one using the correct installer for the version that you wish to use.

WARNING:
Any, and all, content that you have saved in your custom folder using the latest version will almost 100% NOT be usable in an older version.
By bexley - 6 Years Ago
Thank you!  I'll try this as soon as the server migration is over!

--Bex
By Dragonskunk - 6 Years Ago
A good habit to have with iClone is to always download as "save as" all updates and patches and to never delete any updates you download.
Just in case.
By Peter (RL) - 6 Years Ago
Thank you all for the feedback. This will certainly be given consideration.