iClone 7.2 InstallShield Wizard disappears at last step of installation process (Windows 10)

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic377563.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By prodos - 6 Years Ago
Greetings.
I've recently purchased iClone 7.

When I try to install it ... the InstallShield Wizard disappears at the very final step of the installation.

I've created a support ticket and provided Support with the requested DXDIAG file.

I've also followed the instructions in the video recommended by Support on how to configure my NVIDIA graphics card.

I've tried installing the iClone file (IC7_Enu.exe) using "run as administrator" AND after turning off ALL my Norton protection.

But still the InstallShield Wizard disappears at the final step of the installation.
If anyone has any advice on this, I'd appreciate it.

I've installed many programs on my computer -- Blender ... After Effects & Premiere Pro Creative Cloud ... Unreal Engine ... etc. ... and never encountered this problem.
Thanks.
Best Wishes,
Prodos

By prodos - 6 Years Ago
Greetings.

In the following (unlisted) video I show all the steps I go through when trying to install iClone7 (serial number obscured) to show you exactly when the InstallShield vanishes. It's at the last stage of the installation process.

https://youtu.be/pVJe5kvp-Tc

Any suggestions would be appreciate.

Thanks.

Best Wishes,
PRODOS

By Peter (RL) - 6 Years Ago
Hi Prodos,

Sorry to hear you are having these problems. 

Support should get back to you soon, but in the meantime, please try emptying your Temp folders as these can cause installation problems.

1. Type %Temp% on the Search box on the Task Bar and click the %Temp% folder in the search list.
2. This will take you to C:\Users\<YOUR PROFILE NAME>\AppData\Local\Temp.
3. Highlight and delete all the folders and files in the Temp folder (some may remain, this is normal).
4. Go to C:\Windows\Temp
5. Highlight and delete all the folders and files there.
6. Restart your computer.

* NOTE: The Local\Temp folder is a hidden folder and so may not appear. To view hidden files and folders, do the following:

1. Open the Control Panel and select "Appearance & Personalization".
2. Click "Show Hidden File and Folders".
3. On the View tab, under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.

Then try again to install iClone 7.
By prodos - 6 Years Ago
Greetings Peter,

Thanks for the suggestion.

... in the meantime, please try emptying your Temp folders as these can cause installation problems.

They currently don't seem to be using much space.

For instance this one uses only 28 MB:

C >> Users >> Vemom (computer brand) >> AppData >> Local >> Temp

And this one is zero MB:

C >> Windows >> Temp

Anyway, I'll try it and report back.

The other thing I'm wondering is: What if I UN-installed & deleted and then RE-installed ALL my Reallusion products?
eg. CTA Pro, Reallusion Hub, etc.

A few months ago I had my C-drive expanded + another drive added to my laptop. Maybe these have "confused" my Reallusion software?

Best Wishes,

Prodos
By prodos - 6 Years Ago
Greetings.

I deleted what I could from the Temp folders, as suggested by Peter, re-booted, and again tried using the Reallusion Hub to install iClone 7.

Unfortunately the same thing happened:

The installation process vanished at the last step and brought up the error message:

Installation was cancelled.
All update processes will stop.

Best Wishes,

Prodos
Have you tried to install to a different drive other than the C: drive? If not it would be worth a try. If you have a D: drive try that.

Alternatively try installing to the C: drive but choose a different location such as C:\Reallusion

Does this help resolve the problem?
By prodos - 6 Years Ago
Greetings Peter,

I uninstalled all my Reallusion software -- CTA 3 Pro + various extras & the Reallusion Hub.

Then I switched off my Firewall and all my Norton anti-virus products (for 15 minutes).

Then I ran the iClone installation file -- IC7_Enu.exe -- as administrator.

I'm happy to report that the installation proceeded smoothly and without a hitch.

Why this worked, I don't know.

I now need to install the iClone resource packs, various extras and various plugins, which I'll do later, and will let you know how all that goes.

It'll be interesting to see whether re-installing CrazyTalk Animator Pro runs into problems when its time comes!

So, there you have it. Finally, some good news.

Thanks for all your suggestions and for taking an interest in the issue.

Greatly appreciated.

Best Wishes,

PRODOS

By prodos - 6 Years Ago
Greetings.

Reporting that all my iClone 7 packs, extras, plugins, etc. installed without a hitch -- using the (re-installed) Reallusion HUB and the various Install.RLD links within my account (which I found confusing).

Also, I had no problems re-installing CTA 3 Pro.

Best Wishes,

PRODOS

By raxel_67 - 6 Years Ago
RL should take a serious look into this, the installation process is bugged and no user should have to go through this
prodos (9/7/2018)
Greetings.

Reporting that all my iClone 7 packs, extras, plugins, etc. installed without a hitch -- using the (re-installed) Reallusion HUB and the various Install.RLD links within my account (which I found confusing).

Also, I had no problems re-installing CTA 3 Pro.

Best Wishes,

PRODOS

It seems as though either the Firewall or Norton was the culprit. The main thing is you are up and running now which is great to hear. Smile
By prodos - 6 Years Ago
Howdy Peter.

Peter wrote:
It seems as though either the Firewall or Norton was the culprit. The main thing is you are up and running now which is great to hear.

Yes, I'm very glad about iClone 7 now being successfully installed.

I really don't think the Firewall or Norton were the main cause of the problem because I'd already tried several times to install iClone with Norton & the Firewall switched off, and it didn't seem to help.

Also, when I re-installed my CrazyTalk Animator Pro, I kept my Norton + Firewall switched on just to see what would happen, and CTA Pro installed without any problems.

raxel_67 wrote:
RL should take a serious look into this, the installation process is bugged and no user should have to go through this

I've installed a whole bunch of programs -- including Unreal Engine, Blender, Moho, etc. -- and didn't have this problem. That seems to point to a Reallusion problem.

On the other hand, if others haven't had this sort of problem, that suggests some issue on my side.

Like the Loch Ness Monster and the Bermuda Triangle, we'll have to file this under "Cosmic Mysteries" ... The strange case of the disappearing (Install) Wizard. Smile

Best Wishes,

PRODOS
No Prodos, the issue is not on your side trust me.

Peter nice try blaming the antivirus
By animagic - 6 Years Ago
raxel_67 (9/9/2018)

It's almost impossible to diagnose a problem when not at the actual PC. Peter is just trying to help the best he can. 

i know animagic, but on the other hand i have seen many recent posts that are reporting installation problems. That's clue number one for RL. Also there are some users who can not drag n drop while others remain unaffected, drag n drop is handled by the os. That is clue number two. Number three is the hdri Baker and the crashes that occur when you create a folder when saving a Project or a texture, that crashes iclone, or getting a Black image when baking hdrs. Clue number for is my case with undo, it only Works when running as admin, but here is the kicker: I install patch 7.21 and iclone 6.54 looses undo too, also undo stops working in cc2. So is it our systems? I don't think so, in my case iclone is the only software that doesn't work as it should, and i have big collection of software and all programs are running as it should. So to me it is quite clear the issue lies in the installation process, it breaks the relationship between iclone and Windows. It is also Worth noting rl has really dropped the ball concerning updates, we haven't had a real update since may, Just features added. I am also very dissapointed with support, tickets get closed and cannot be opened again. I was also told to Just wait and see if an update might fix the issue, so yeah i'm quite angry and it certainly pisses me off when blame is shifted to the antivirus when it is an outright falsehood

By Delerna - 6 Years Ago
Not trying to argue against what anyone is saying but one thing that needs to be taken notice of as far as I see is that iClone and CC install for the majority of people with no problems. As a software developer I see that if the problems that certain people have was only due to the software and had nothing to do with the setup of their computer then the majority of people would be having problems installing the software rather than few.
It is true that iClone is not perfect and does have crashing problems. But again, I believe large causes of that (not all) are due to computer settings and capabilities. I for one used to have crashes kind of regular, depending on the size of the project. But I updated my graphics card around Christmas time last year. From 4 to 11GB. Now I very rarely have crashes. I have also had issues that I initially blamed Reallusion for and then discovered that it was due to something I was doing and not the fault of the software.

I also think Peter was just giving some suggestions for Prodos to check and not stating what the actual problem was.
I agree with Animagic. Peter was just trying to help as best as he can.
Core i7, 32gb in ram, gtx 1080 ti win 10 pro 64bit, One ssd, 5 hdds, that is my rig and everything runs smooth and perfect except iclone.
Also why is it that 7.20 Works perfectly on my system but not 7.21 or 7.22? It is the patch, how else would you explain iclone 6.54 loosing undo when a patch is applied to iclone 7????
By Delerna - 6 Years Ago
Oh, I also meant to say.
I am one person who has never had issues installing any of reallusions software.....ever. However I have had trouble installing other software, including Blender. I had to do updates on my computer to get them to install. I have also seen posts from other people who had problems with other software such as Blender. Oh and Blender is one of my favourite software's now, I use it pretty much everyday.

I can only state things according to my own experience and observations.
By Delerna - 6 Years Ago
I just did a google search for 'Blender Won't Install" and found heaps.

here is one and someone else answered it and stated they were also having issues installing it because of the browser they were using.
So????

By prodos - 6 Years Ago
Thanks to everyone for contributing your opinions, assessments, and experiences -- both positive and negative -- with iClone and other software.

Smile

Best Wishes,
Prodos
raxel_67 (9/9/2018)

How exactly do you know that?

If you had read my reply properly you would have seen I said it "looks like the Firewall or Norton was the culprit". I was not stating a fact because I don't know for sure and neither do you.

You have to remember that we are not dealing with game consoles where everyone is using the same hardware. With personal computers there are countless different configurations and unfortunately sometimes users have installation issues. However if 99.9% have no problems, then it is statistically more likely that the issue is a local system issue rather than a bug or issue with the installer. That's just common sense.

I also know from my long time experience working in Support that nobody ever likes to admit their computer or setup could be the cause of the problem. Your reply typifies that view sadly.
prodos (9/9/2018)

I've installed a whole bunch of programs -- including Unreal Engine, Blender, Moho, etc. -- and didn't have this problem. That seems to point to a Reallusion problem.

On the other hand, if others haven't had this sort of problem, that suggests some issue on my side.

Like the Loch Ness Monster and the Bermuda Triangle, we'll have to file this under "Cosmic Mysteries" ... The strange case of the disappearing (Install) Wizard. Smile

Best Wishes,

PRODOS

Hi Prodos,

Unfortunately it can sometimes be impossible to say for sure exactly where the problem originated from. The important thing is you were finally able to overcome it. 

So a big thank you for your patience and understanding during what must have been a frustrating time.
Glad to see your fine technical support at work and your deep psychological insights. So that means me and other users who can't bake or drag n drop are going to be left to our luck. Nice way of treating paying costumers.
raxel_67 (9/10/2018)
Glad to see your fine technical support at work and your deep psychological insights. So that means me and other users who can't bake or drag n drop are going to be left to our luck. Nice way of treating paying costumers.

Hi Raxel

While I can certainly understand your frustration as you are encountering problems yourself, I really don't know where the recent hostility is coming from (I had to warn you about profanity in another thread). It certainly isn't helpful to come into other users threads just to post jibes and insults. Sadly I've seen you doing the same thing in other users threads too so please stop.

Regarding your own technical issues, I did reply in your own thread with some advice about Support so please check out my reply there. Thanks.