Geforce RTX

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic376658.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Dr. Nemesis - 6 Years Ago
Well Nvidia just announced the new RTX series of cards and it seems like even the RTX 2070 that comes in at $499 takes a dump on the 1080ti.

I'm definitely looking to get one soon but can anyone at Reallusion give even the tiniest hint as to whether the real-time ray tracking will be taken advantage of in Iclone?
Will Iclone's global illumination benefit hugely from these cards? In short i'm really excited.

Reallusion probably won't have anything to say for a little while so it'll be interesting to see what the rest of you anticipate.
By mtakerkart - 6 Years Ago
Yep , just saw it on the youtube channel. I will definitely buy the 2080 TI even if Reallusion doesn't go this way because I'm shure that
RTX (realtime raytrace) will be the near furutre of realtime. UDK and Unity will integrate it . Maybe the new EEVEE Blender will use it.
Next Game generation... Realtime game footage.

And this one is render with the Quadro RTX 8000 ( 10 000$ !!)

By Zeronimo - 6 Years Ago
GeForce RTX

By dogged2003 - 6 Years Ago
Shadow of the Tomb Raider... -  Cool. A qualitative drawing with wooden movements and lack of facial expressions.
What is more important?
And what about the configuration of the entire system, and its cost?
By akuei2 - 6 Years Ago
Money money money & a lot of money , what I saw ... damn good & damn high price!
By wires - 6 Years Ago
Compared to the 1080 cards on release there doesn't seem to be as big a price difference between the 2080- €900.00, and 2080Ti - €1,200.00 here (prices include 19% Sales Tax)

At the moment the 1080 is available for around €500.00 and the 1080TI for about €750.00.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. CryingWhistling
What is more important?

For me , speed of pipeline. Raytrace with global illumination is not only for realistic render but also
for realistic level construction. You d'ont have to fake with hundred of lights for realistic lighting/bounce.
Loooot of time consuming . The Tomb Raider demo is the best example of this. Every light is emited by the object itself,
no more light attache to them. The metro Exodus too is a good example , onle one sun light !!!
I saw lot of youtube video where Gamers guys doesn't understand the buzz about Nvidia raytrace versus the GTX series.
But as I said it's not only for consumers , it also for creators.
By justaviking - 6 Years Ago
Yeah, the SHADOWS are awesome!

Now, about iClone's renderer and this card...
By R Ham - 6 Years Ago
If these RTX GPUs don't end up as part of the Bitcoin pipeline, we may well see some competitive prices a few months after their release. I can afford to wait and see.
Realtime rendering is the Grail.
Some benchmarks are needed to see how much better the GTX cards can do on the lower end but they're supposedly significantly better than the 1080ti.
One disappointment for me though, is the VRAM. I was expecting more, and goodness knows Iclone is insanely VRAM hungry.
By argus1000 - 6 Years Ago
I don't know what advantage this new RTX card will offer the filmaker. Okay, if you play games, it will give you global illumination in real time (though frame rate may suffer). But iClone already has global illumination (though it may weight on the resources and take a little time to render).

Maybe I'm mistaken, but is it worth it for a filmaker to spend $999 on a nVidia GTX 1080ti just to save a few minutes rendering time?
I don't know what advantage this new RTX card will offer the filmaker.

See my previous post for the pipeline speed for creating your set , maybe reflections are not important for you but  have a look of what Raytrace give for real reflection in realtime :

By TheOldBuffer - 6 Years Ago
I for one will be treating myself to a RTX 2080 ti for crimbo and I'll be having it early. All the arguements for and against these new cards are  the same ones people had when the 10 series cards came out. What is a reality is that cpu speed isn't following moores law anymore so the emphisis now is on graphics cards. It's a far easier solution to change out a graphics card than build a new computer. A £1000 price tag is a lot of money but for me, being able to raytrace a frame in realtime is mind blowing considering my first ever raytraced render on an Amiga using an app called  Imagine, took 3 days and was 640x512. Hopefully it wont be too long before Reallusion supports RTX.
@TheOldBuffer - It will be really interesting to see what sort of performance differences you see with the new card, especially with regard to iClone.  Please do a couple of before/after benchmarks, especially using a file we all share, such as the "Loft" project.

I currently have a GTX 1080 on an aging-but-adequate CPU.  I will attempty to control and feelings of jealosy.  Looking at the low level in my piggy bank will probably keep any buying impulses in check for a while.
@justaviking

Regarding the "haters" on youtube of RTX technology , If you don't use raytracing there will be no really huge differences of the "10" series.
So that's mean the app or the game MUST use the RTX algorythm to have Raytracing in realtime. 
An example of benchmark with "traditionnal" render. Not really a big difference. It starts at 1:30

Even without tapping into the new features, it will be interesting to see what sort of performance an RTX 2080Ti brings to iClone rendering.

In addition to RTX, the "DLSS"  will be very interrsting, too.  I wonder what it will take for that to have an impact in iClone rendering.

Menawhile, if you haven't already watched it. go back a couple of posts and watch that "Battlefield V" RTX demo.  It is only six minutes long, not a 1-hour keynote speech, and is awesome!
Menawhile, if you haven't already watched it. go back a couple of posts and watch that "Battlefield" RTX demo

??????
It is my post....Ermm

For now there will be no improvement with Iclone render because Iclone doesn't support RTX. But I certainly will buy it because UDK 4 and UNITY 
will support it very soon . I don't know about Blender 2.8 
By Keith_MPS - 6 Years Ago
Right now, neither iClone nor iRay support the ray-tracing and DLSS features of the RTX.  However, it's very likely they will in the future.  They will need to be patched to make use of the features.  Currently, the RTX will just make iClone and iRay render a little faster by sheer horsepower.
mtakerkart (8/24/2018)
Menawhile, if you haven't already watched it. go back a couple of posts and watch that "Battlefield" RTX demo

??????
It is my post....Ermm

For now there will be no improvement with Iclone render because Iclone doesn't support RTX. But I certainly will buy it because UDK 4 and UNITY 
will support it very soon . I don't know about Blender 2.8 

a) Yeah, I was refering to your post.  I was in a rush and didn't mention you by name.  I meant "you" in the generic sense, refering to whomever was reading.  Smile
https://forum.reallusion.com/FindPost376921.aspx

b) We are still waiting for the NDAs to be lifted so legitimate review sites can post their benchmark results.  Without the beneifts of RTX and DLSS there should still be a performance boost with the 20xx series of cards, but probably not enough to justify the cost.  However, if you are in a situation where you can (or expect you will soon) benefit from RTX and DLSS, then that's another story.  Of course, having 11GB of VRAM would be pretty sweet.

c) An interesting, and I thnk valid, discussion I was reading was should you compare an RTX 2080 to a GTX 1080 or a GTX 1080Ti?  Do you compare based on a somewhat artificial naming convention, or based on price at the time of release?  If you go on price, then people are anticipating a modest 10-15% performance improvement for equivalent functionality, such as traditional rasterized game rendering.  Not the 30-50% increase you see when comparing a 2080 to a 1080.  Fun sport, though.  Even though I know I won't be buying one in the near future, it's fun to watch and I look forward to real benchmarks and comments from analysists that I trust.

UPDATE/CORRECTION:

As it turns out, the video I wanted to reference is NOT the exact same one that Mtakerkart showed earlier.  Blush

Same game, but different video.
a) Shows several RTX on/off comparisons.
b) Sometimes there are some "explosion" reflections that can be shown with RTX turned off, but they are done poorly.  Also, that can happened ONLY when the light source - the explosion or flamethrower - is directly visible to the camera.  The ability to reflect off-camera lights and objects is a big deal that really sets ray tracing apart from even high-end shortcuts used in games today.

Lucky for all of you who have such good cards. I'm on a GTX 780, 3GB VRAM so the RTX Series looks like tasty bacon to me. I could have bought a 1080 but I didn't wanna buy a card at the end of a generation (atleast not without the sweet price drop we now have). But really I think I'll go for the RTX and be a bit more future proof. 
By 4u2ges - 6 Years Ago
Awesome, meaning we would finally have a full featured mirror and true reflections, without RL moving a finger. They would have to add an RTX support, but Nvidia probably have APIs/SDKs in place already.
Lower end RTX 2070 is only $599, meaning when the release rush is over it would easily go down to $400. There is no excuse for not getting one Smile
By VirtualMedia - 6 Years Ago
Dr. Nemesis (8/24/2018)
Lucky for all of you who have such good cards. I'm on a GTX 780, 3GB VRAM so the RTX Series looks like tasty bacon to me. I could have bought a 1080 but I didn't wanna buy a card at the end of a generation (atleast not without the sweet price drop we now have). But really I think I'll go for the RTX and be a bit more future proof. 

Held off updating cards as well, updated laptop instead. Future-proofing with an RTX would seem a logical approach. It's unlikely RL will have RTX capabilities baked in the 7.3 release but it's making the IRAY plugin seem a lot more practical.

Best guess, RTX capabilities IC 8..

Dr. Nemesis (8/24/2018)
Lucky for all of you who have such good cards. I'm on a GTX 780, 3GB VRAM...

I totally understand.  The GTX 1080 you see in my signature is the first card I ever bought that was a "top-tier, new-generation" card when I got it.  I normally bought cards that were 2 or 3 generations back, and since I was not a heavy 3D gamer, and most of my authoring consisted of editing videos, I was able to limp along.  But it gradually got more and more painful to run iClone.  Editing when your playback speed is 2 or 5 frames per second sometimes makes it really difficult to assess if your motions are smooth or not.  So I finally opened up the piggy bank and managed get one.  I actually had to monitor a number of sites to grab the 1080 when it was in stock.  They were still new, and would be sold out in an hour or less.

So, yeah, I know the struggles of having an under-powered card, being cost-conscious, and the joy of finally getting a really nice one.  Of course, even when you have a new card, faster is still better, but I haven't refilled the piggy bank yet so shopping for me right now.
Just ordered my EVGA RTX 2080 TI. WOOHOO  
TheOldBuffer (8/28/2018)

Wow!  w00t

I hope you'll share some "iClone benchmarks" with us once you get it installed.
By CtrlZ - 6 Years Ago
TheOldBuffer (8/28/2018)

I have the 1080ti so it will be a while before I jump ship lol You wont be disappointed for sure!

Have fun!
Gary

Thanks Gary,
 I hadn't had my  gtx 970 too  long before the  10 series came out so I missed that boat and had just started looking at the 10 series again last week when the videos of Nvidias key note speech were released. Her indoors agreed I should get one of the new fangled  cards, " get the best one" she said, ......... I haven't told her how much it was BigGrin   

JV.
 I was blown away by the speed of your 1080 when you first got yours and  I remember doing the test render speed tests that were on the forum when the 10 series came out ? We could do that test again and compare speeds. The big test will be when Iray for iClone and CC gets released.

BigGrin

@TheOldBuffer -- Sounds great.  Lacking any real benchmarks, I'm anticipating a 25-30% improvement with the 2080Ti over my 1080.  I'll be surprised (but very happy) if it is a 50% imrprovement.  The huge gains (up to 5x) should only be expected when the "RTX technology" comes into play, which of course is "not iClone" for now.  Wonderful and exiting times, to be sure.  I look forwared to doing some benchmarking with you.
justaviking (8/28/2018)
@TheOldBuffer -- Sounds great.  Lacking any real benchmarks, I'm anticipating a 25-30% improvement with the 2080Ti over my 1080.  I'll be surprised (but very happy) if it is a 50% imrprovement.  The huge gains (up to 5x) should only be expected when the "RTX technology" comes into play, which of course is "not iClone" for now.  Wonderful and exiting times, to be sure.  I look forwared to doing some benchmarking with you.

Sounds like a plan.
For those who want to know what raytrace have as fabulous features : Realtime coherante reflections.  (the infinite mirror is stunning !)

Hoping to have an RTX in my computer by the weekend. YaY !
By Filibusterous - 6 Years Ago
Rottenham (8/21/2018)
If these RTX GPUs don't end up as part of the Bitcoin pipeline, we may well see some competitive prices a few months after their release. I can afford to wait and see.
Realtime rendering is the Grail.

Bitcoin isn't the problem. If I recall correctly, using GPU farms for mining Bitcoins became highly inefficient years ago vs. using ASIC miners. Its the other crypto-currencies that are the problem, for example Ethereum, Ripple, etc. In my opinion, they need to get rid of all the crypto-currencies. Besides providing a way for ransomware users to collect money, I would imagine there's quite a bit of other illicite/illegal transactions going on using these crypto-currencies. I don't see any place nor utility with crypto-currency to pay for everyday stuff that I buy, so what's the point of even having it?
One of the few reasons I can think of that individuals are attracted to this nonsense is the expectation of a quick profit with a low entry cost. Nowadays they don't even have to buy the extra graphics cards for mining. They can just inject a few lines of code into a website that people frequent and use their systems to farm for them while connected to it.
TheOldBuffer (9/17/2018)

I saw a little article that there are some delays on the RTX cards.  I don't know if it specified which models.

I saw a little blip about of leaked performance tests.  It just might live up to the hype, especially for anyone who tries to game at 4k.  I look forward to you letting us know what it does for iClone users. w00t

By animagic - 6 Years Ago
mtakerkart (9/17/2018)
For those who want to know what raytrace have as fabulous features : Realtime coherante reflections.  (the infinite mirror is stunning !)

Thanks for posting. Judging by the comments, RTX is wasted on most gamers (1000 fps, anyone?), but it would be great for filmmakers. If it ever makes it into iClone, I can stop asking for a mirror!
@ JV.
It's the general availability of the RTX 2080 ti thats been delayed a week, pre orders should still be released this week..... time will tell. 

justaviking (9/17/2018)
TheOldBuffer (9/17/2018)

I saw a little article that there are some delays on the RTX cards.  I don't know if it specified which models.

I saw a little blip about of leaked performance tests.  It just might live up to the hype, especially for anyone who tries to game at 4k.  I look forward to you letting us know what it does for iClone users. w00t

This is a leaked performance test.... looking good.https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c2f39785-6193-426a-b73f-af06.png
By wires - 6 Years Ago
All very interesting stuff. It's just a pity that there are no consumer software apps utilising all of these wonderful features at the moment. That's the main reason that I just got a PNY 1080 Ti - for less than the price of an RTX 2080, and with more VRAM.

I'm quite sure that in a year or so, when there is software available to use Ray Tracing that the card prices will have dropped to something reasonable,
Had an email yesterday saying RTX pre order release dates have also been put back a week. Dispatch  date is 27th Sept.  Crying
For anyone trying to get hold of an rtx 2080 ti...... good luck. I preordered mine late August, launch date 20th sept, put back till 27th Sept...... delayed then till 15th October and now delayed again till 15th November...........the saga continues. Perhaps I'll have mine in time for Iray launching for iClone..w00t
@TheOldBuffer - Wow, that could be worse than pre-ordering CC3+Iray and waiting for Clone7.4  Pinch

I sure hope it turns out to be worthwhile, and I look forward to you sharing some results and making me insanely jealous.
By Keith_MPS - 6 Years Ago
Here's some numbers for the RTX 2080 Ti in Indigo: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia-gtx680-rtx2080ti&num=7
By Data Juggler - 6 Years Ago
I just bought a 1080 TI because I got tired of waiting. From the benchmarks I have seen this is about even with the RTX 2080 and cheaper.

Before I had a GTX 950 with only 2 gig of ram and CC 3 and IRay were too slow to even use.

In addition to render times being faster, it seemed to speed up my computer in general.

I found a cheap 1080 and got that. I had high hopes for the new cards but it seems their timetable isn't in line with mine. I just needed a better card than my GTX 780 3GB so I can get my movie finished in decent time. Can upgrade again later when there's a benefit to Icloners beyond brute strength.
By serhan_83 - 6 Years Ago

Hello there. Did you have the opportunity to try your new video card? I want to get 2080ti too, but I wonder if New Nvidia cards not support Iclone.Because I heard that Nvidia servers always upgrade new driver sofwares for all softwares and games... What about the Iclone?
serhan_83 (10/22/2018)
Hello there. Did you have the opportunity to try your new video card? I want to get 2080ti too, but I wonder if New Nvidia cards not support Iclone.Because I heard that Nvidia servers always upgrade new driver sofwares for all softwares and games... What about the Iclone?

I would be very confident that the new cards would support iClone very well.

I don't work for Nvidia, so I can't actually guarantee it, but honestly that would not be a concern to me.

Hallefeckinloooya. 
Just had email from my supplier and my EVGA RTX 2080 ti FANDABBYDOZEY has been picked and awaiting dispatch. Should be with me this week.....     ...... it's only been 10 weeks since I ordered it lol. I also seen a post on an iray forum that next spring Nvidia are going to make iray with rtx . 
TheOldBuffer (11/5/2018)
I also seen a post on an iray forum that next spring Nvidia are going to make iray with rtx . 

Oooo.... that would be nice.

Hopefully all Reallusion will need to do at that time is release an updated copy of the plugin that includes the latest version of Iray, with no significant effort on Reallusion's part.  Assuming some time is required after Nvidia makes it available. maybe mid-to-late summer 2019 for us to have that available.  Hopefully you have your new card by then.  Wink

Her indoors has just text to say my rtx 2080 ti xc ultra has just been delivered. I might have to pull a sickie and go home early from work.
By serhan_83 - 6 Years Ago

TheOldBuffer (11/6/2018)
Her indoors has just text to say my rtx 2080 ti xc ultra has just been delivered. I might have to pull a sickie and go home early from work.

I can't wait to read your experience. Smile)
By Data Juggler - 6 Years Ago
TheOldBuffer (11/6/2018)

You don't sound very well. You might get the rest of the office sick if you stay.

Working from home and emailing in sick is so much better than practicing your dying voice and calling in like you used to have to.
Technology is great.
By R Ham - 6 Years Ago
Personally, I'm most interested in the realtime video rendering ability of the RTX with iClone. I haven't seen anybody discuss that, but maybe I missed it. We ARE going to be able to do that -- RIGHT?  I am patient but curious.

And then there is the Vulkan API. It is my understanding that by installing the Vulkan API in W7, I will be able to make use of the RTX drivers. Anybody tried that yet? Any comments? Am I right in believing I don't need DX12?

I've been window shopping. IMO, the RTX2070 is the bang-for-the-buck leader. Opinions?

I hope it's not too soon to ask these questions. If this has already been discussed and it went past me, I would be grateful for a link.

Thanks all...
Rottenham (11/23/2018)
Personally, I'm most interested in the realtime video rendering ability of the RTX with iClone. I haven't seen anybody discuss that, but maybe I missed it. We ARE going to be able to do that -- RIGHT?  I am patient but curious.

And then there is the Vulkan API. It is my understanding that by installing the Vulkan API in W7, I will be able to make use of the RTX drivers. Anybody tried that yet? Any comments? Am I right in believing I don't need DX12?

I've been window shopping. IMO, the RTX2070 is the bang-for-the-buck leader. Opinions?

I hope it's not too soon to ask these questions. If this has already been discussed and it went past me, I would be grateful for a link.

Thanks all...

We have had some earlier discussion, but nothing conclusive. 

The new RTX capabilities (as in real-time ray-tracing) are not relevant for iClone, except for Iray, which has not been updated by Nvidia yet to make use of RTX.

The card itself is faster, but not by a lot for applications like iClone. The amount of VRAM is really the most important, so a GTX 1080 Ti is better than a GTX 2070. Unfortunately, most benchmarks are game-oriented and often not very meaningful when it comes to iClone.
By Kelleytoons - 6 Years Ago
Right.  The Old Buffer (who if he didn't start this thread has certainly contributed a lot to it) ran some tests but initially they were disappointing (they were four times or more longer than my Titan card, for example).  He has since said his PC may be the biggest issue, and posted a somewhat better test (still 3x as long as my Titan card to render the same scene).

Overall, looking at the specs, I would not expect the RTX to be better than the Titan -- it *might* get within 1/2 of the speed, but the Titan will be the clear winner for rendering strictly inside of iClone's renderer.  Even the 1080Ti will match it or at least come very close, so the best P/P ratio is always going to be that card (if available -- I understand it's getting scarce).  The RTX technology isn't that impressive for anything other than what it was built to do (games that use it -- for that it's unbeatable).  Unless they specifically change the iClone render for that purpose, that will continue to be the case (and the odds of THAT happening are slim and zero, and Slim just left town).
By R Ham - 6 Years Ago
Kelleytoons (11/23/2018)
Unless they specifically change the iClone render for that purpose, that will continue to be the case...

Well, this is both disappointing and unexpected. Rendering time being the Achilles Heel of a program like iClone, and Reallusion being happily married to Nvidia hardware, and the RTX being purpose-built to tackle that task, I took for granted that Reallusion would be literally all over it. And now I find that Reallusion has met it with - what - silence? And we don't even know why? There's not even a ROADMAP?? Nothing could surprise me more.

This will cause me to change my plans for the coming year... to what, I'm not sure. I think I'm already acquainted with my rendering options, but I'm open to recommendations.
Thanks.

By R Ham - 6 Years Ago
justaviking (11/5/2018)
TheOldBuffer (11/5/2018)
I also seen a post on an iray forum that next spring Nvidia are going to make iray with rtx . 

Hopefully all Reallusion will need to do at that time is release an updated copy of the plugin that includes the latest version of Iray, with no significant effort on Reallusion's part.  Assuming some time is required after Nvidia makes it available. maybe mid-to-late summer 2019 for us to have that available.  Hopefully you have your new card by then.  Wink

OK. I get it. This revolves around Nvidia, who will not get off the dime before Spring 2019 at the earliest. Add Reallusion's response time, and we'll be lucky to see RTX animation rendering by Labor Day. It will be a year from now before we actually know what it is capable of. Well, I guess I bought into the marketing hype when I'm old enough to know better. So long as I know it will come eventually, I will pace myself for it. I don't have any better ideas.

Yeah, I think it would have been nice for Reallusion to give us some kind of indication towards their intention considering how important rendering speed/the real-time nature of this tool is. but for now it seems like business as usual. I was excited too but I guess Reallusion has to make their decisions mostly on what people have or are likely to buy soon and perhaps it's too early to say that realtime ray tracing will really take off. I read that the lower end RTX cards won't even have real-time ray tracing so the card's headline feature might not even end up being that common among users in the end.
Sadly my system is way under parr to run an rtx, Ive got too many bottlenecks so running the iclone native render tests my rtx isnt able to run at full pelt. Its about half the speed of a titan for now.  Where it does come into it's own is using Iray which is what I bought it for. It is very quick indeed.. the pics below took less than 20 secs ,,   way less usually. NB. all preview renders not background.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/4f328d22-3006-4a8a-a00a-fefe.pnghttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/5441e8eb-79a7-41f8-9f82-6e15.pnghttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/99625d9c-02d0-4ef4-b6e7-e51e.png
Rottenham (11/26/2018)
justaviking (11/5/2018)
TheOldBuffer (11/5/2018)

OK. I get it. This revolves around Nvidia, who will not get off the dime before Spring 2019 at the earliest. Add Reallusion's response time, and we'll be lucky to see RTX animation rendering by Labor Day. It will be a year from now before we actually know what it is capable of. Well, I guess I bought into the marketing hype when I'm old enough to know better. So long as I know it will come eventually, I will pace myself for it. I don't have any better ideas.

Let's be clear here -- there are at least three separate issues.

1) iClone's renderer.  The RTX series is, as any good GPU is, capable of rendering within the GPU quickly.  Not nearly as quickly as the Titan, and only marginally better than the 1080Ti, but certainly acceptable.  But the RTX architecture (the "magic" that makes it do the things it shows off in the demos) isn't "connected" in any way to the iClone renderer and will almost surely never be.  iClone would have to re-engineer their code to take advantage of it in the same way that new games have to do so, and we all know that isn't going to happen.  Or, to put it another way, if they ARE going to completely redo their renderer it will most likely benefit almost anyone with any modern GPU card (they aren't going to tie themselves to one card.  Just ain't gonna happen).  NVidia can't do anything about this (they certainly aren't going to change their card to benefit iClone).

2) IRay rendering.  The RTX, again, is a good GPU and may well perform extraordinary when the IRay plugin for iClone is released.  But, again, it's not optimized for IRay.  That special "magic" of the card isn't IRay but a kind of pseudo raytracing (it isn't even real raytracing) that works IF the code is written to work with it.  My gut tells me it might work very well with IRay but I would also doubt it will make IRay acceptable for most doing animation (I would LOVE to be proven wrong with this -- perhaps TheOldBuffer can tell us what rendering times are with CC3 IRay and then we'll really know something).

3) Price/Performance -- all of this comes down to what you want to pay and what you get for it.  If you are buying the RTX based on the RTTX stuff it can do -- forget about it for iClone.  Won't matter.  If you are buying on the basis of using it for other things (not rendering things) it's the best you can get.  Playing certain games on it will kill.  Nothing will come close.  And perhaps it will indeed do Iray better than any current card out there.  But at this point in time and even in the next year or so, my hunch is there are a LOT better deals out there.  Buying this card won't "futureproof" you unless you are strictly a gamer because in a year's time there will be a newer, better card out there (although then you can certainly get better deals on the RTX).

By R Ham - 6 Years Ago
Kelleytoons (11/26/2018)
Rottenham (11/26/2018)
justaviking (11/5/2018)
TheOldBuffer (11/5/2018)

Let's be clear here -- there are at least three separate issues.

1) iClone's renderer.  The RTX series is, as any good GPU is, capable of rendering within the GPU quickly.  Not nearly as quickly as the Titan, and only marginally better than the 1080Ti, but certainly acceptable.  But the RTX architecture (the "magic" that makes it do the things it shows off in the demos) isn't "connected" in any way to the iClone renderer and will almost surely never be.  iClone would have to re-engineer their code to take advantage of it in the same way that new games have to do so, and we all know that isn't going to happen.  Or, to put it another way, if they ARE going to completely redo their renderer it will most likely benefit almost anyone with any modern GPU card (they aren't going to tie themselves to one card.  Just ain't gonna happen).  NVidia can't do anything about this (they certainly aren't going to change their card to benefit iClone).

2) IRay rendering.  The RTX, again, is a good GPU and may well perform extraordinary when the IRay plugin for iClone is released.  But, again, it's not optimized for IRay.  That special "magic" of the card isn't IRay but a kind of pseudo raytracing (it isn't even real raytracing) that works IF the code is written to work with it.  My gut tells me it might work very well with IRay but I would also doubt it will make IRay acceptable for most doing animation (I would LOVE to be proven wrong with this -- perhaps TheOldBuffer can tell us what rendering times are with CC3 IRay and then we'll really know something).

3) Price/Performance -- all of this comes down to what you want to pay and what you get for it.  If you are buying the RTX based on the RTTX stuff it can do -- forget about it for iClone.  Won't matter.  If you are buying on the basis of using it for other things (not rendering things) it's the best you can get.  Playing certain games on it will kill.  Nothing will come close.  And perhaps it will indeed do Iray better than any current card out there.  But at this point in time and even in the next year or so, my hunch is there are a LOT better deals out there.  Buying this card won't "futureproof" you unless you are strictly a gamer because in a year's time there will be a newer, better card out there (although then you can certainly get better deals on the RTX).

Well, that's disappointing. I suppose I ought to focus on something good about it. The RTX turns out to be irrelevant after all, so... I have nothing to un-learn!  As if that weren't enough good news, I also need to spend less money than I thought!  Attitude is everything! 
Hehe
I should have known the Nvidia marketing hype was never aimed at animation per se'. I have always been a naive man.

By illusionLAB - 6 Years Ago
More food for thought... it appears I'm eating my words as I was going to wait at least 6 months before taking the RTX plunge - needless to say - thanks to Cyber Monday, I now have a shiny new RTX 2070.  I haven't had much time to stress test it, but my first observations are a noticeable improvement in iC frame rate where my 1070 ti card used to struggle.  More importantly for me (and why I bought the card), my Octane performance has improved 2.5 times!  This is not insignificant.  An Octane 4 render at 300 samples which took 46 secs on my 1070 ti alone, took 20 secs with the 2070 alone (combined they took 13 secs... obviously the 1070 ti letting the side down a bit!).  The good news is, Octane has not yet implemented RTX into their software... so even better performance is on the way.  For Iray fans, I'd speculate that they will be the first "path tracing" renderer to take advantage of RTX - anything to sell more cards! 
Congratulations on your purchase illusionLAB.

I decided to buy an intermediate 1080 Ti on eBay for the moment. The main reason is that I've run into the 8 GB VRAM limit repeatedly.

I will be watching the RTX experiences with interest. I have an older machine I would like to solely dedicate to rendering and which I hope to upgrade at some point. 
By VirtualMedia - 6 Years Ago

The RTX series is, as any good GPU is, capable of rendering within the GPU quickly.  Not nearly as quickly as the Titan, and only marginally better than the 1080Ti

Mike would you recommend a Titan XP for the best high end BFTB? Considering a custom build with a GeForce GTX TITAN Xp 12GB (Pascal) (NVIDIA Founders Edition) any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

Not sure what a BFTB is (well, completely unsure) but right now the Titan is the best at rendering from iClone natively.

How it stacks up to the RTX in terms of Iray I have no clue (nor do I care).  I do know I love my Titan and would buy it again, today, over any other card.
By donald.dade - 6 Years Ago
VirtualMedia (11/28/2018)

The RTX series is, as any good GPU is, capable of rendering within the GPU quickly.  Not nearly as quickly as the Titan, and only marginally better than the 1080Ti

Mike would you recommend a Titan XP for the best high end BFTB? Considering a custom build with a GeForce GTX TITAN Xp 12GB (Pascal) (NVIDIA Founders Edition) any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

If your motherboard/power supply can support it, dual 1080tis with SLI turned off will greatly out-perform a single Titan XP. Raytracing is part of a class of problems that programmers jokingly call "embarrassingly parallelizable" (Monte Carlo simulation is another), because the calculation of any one pixel is largely independent of any other, and there is much less overhead to carry out as many operations as the GPU has cores in parallel. From one card to two, for me the time scaled pretty much linearly, cutting it in half, while a Titan is not all that much faster than a single 1080ti. The duals are certainly more expensive, but the performance is quite beyond anything else you are likely to be able to install in your system. Caveat: I used Iray for Daz Studio.

Donald
Right, Donald -- I was talking strictly about rendering using iClone's native renderer (which does not use more than one GPU).  For that, the Titan is unbeatable.
By eat_me_toyota - 6 Years Ago
So I;m getting ready to bite the bullet upgrading from 3 GTX 970's to a RTX 2080 TI.  Tried to get a 1080 TI, but all that's left are used ones and a few new ones are priced just as high as the 2080 TI.   Did a scene with a 2019 Vette with almost every surface textured with shiny metal/glass mounted on chrome wheels and it takes like 90 secs a frame with a single 970.  Hoping the price of the upgrade will bring that 90 secs/frame down substantially. 
By cynsegura - 5 Years Ago
Hi. 
How were you with this card 2080ti for rendering with iray. Please keep me update about recommendations. Trying to build a new workstation. Thinking to buy a new one. What do you think it?? I cannot afford 2 graphics cards for fast rendering. Any other recommendation.https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/b617e580-ec4a-4211-8141-8eeb.png

By kemalali - 5 Years Ago
Hi Bro,

Did you say GeForce RTX suppports iClone 7? Does it work excellently with?

I would like to get a i7-9700 or a i9-9900 with a RTX 2070 or RTX 2080 Ti.

Regards,

SAI
By Kelleytoons - 5 Years Ago
It will work with iClone, but it's not the best (fastest) card for it in terms of iClone's native renderer.  However, it's likely to be (a lot?) faster for iRay, if that's what you are thinking.

Best card in benchmarks is still the GTX Titan XP (again, native renderer only).
By kemalali - 5 Years Ago
Thank you for your response about...