Can someone explain how 3DXchange fits into the picture?

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic373836.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Data Juggler - 6 Years Ago
I take it the program is used to import models since I purchased the Pro version, not pipeline.
I just purchased $50 for the Content Marketplace. If I download an object from the content marketplace, do I import it directly into IClone, or do I have to use 3DXchange?
I saw a website with some free models and you could download them in Sketch Up format 2018, 2017, etc. Is it possible to import this type of content into IClone?

Thanks, I figure purchasing or finding some content could get further along than creating everything by hand.

By Kelleytoons - 6 Years Ago
Pretty simple, really -- XChange converts other formats into iClone ones.  Stuff you buy from RL or the Marketplace is already in those formats.  But places like Sketchup are not (and, yes, you can import those models into XChange and then iClone).
Thanks, that is what I thought. Do you happen to know if my 5,000 points work in both the Reallusion Content Store (if that's the correct name) and the Content Marketplace?
I haven't been to the content store yet, just the market place. From what I read the Content Store is official approved content, and the Market Place is like a flea market anyone can sell their stuff?

Is that about right?
It's not quite as straightforward -- there are things that are in both places.  In general the stuff sold by RL in the content store is vetted by them (but this isn't always the case -- I bought a Dragon pack there that is worthless, and I'll never get that $50+ dollars back).  The marketplace is less regulated and more "buyer beware".  But, again, you can find content there done by RL as well as find Marketplace stuff in the Content store.

But no, you can't use your bucks anywhere but in the Marketplace.

And let me put in one word for the best place for content (sorry, Marketplace folks, but it's the truth): Daz.  Daz content can easily be imported in XChange (and I have whole sets of video tutorials on the process).  It's usually FAR higher quality, and always far cheaper.  From clothing to props to sets there is no better place to get stuff than from Daz (just wait for sales -- it's kind of like those stores where you never buy anything that isn't on sale.  They will ALWAYS reduce content prices, sometimes ridiculously.  For even better bargains, join their Platinum Club, as it's well worth the money).
Ok thanks. I downloaded the Daz Extension because it came with my purchase, but I haven't installed it yet.

The Daz extension is for importing Daz characters.  I'm not a big fan.  I much prefer Character Creator (and with CC3 coming I think even those folks who DO prefer Daz characters might consider switching).  

So -- no, not for the characters, but for everything else (clothes, props and sets).
By Peter (RL) - 6 Years Ago
Data Juggler (7/19/2018)
Thanks, that is what I thought. Do you happen to know if my 5,000 points work in both the Reallusion Content Store (if that's the correct name) and the Content Marketplace?

Is that about right?

DA Points can only be spent in the Marketplace, they can't be used in the Content Store. Payments in the Content Store are made by credit card, PayPal etc.

Do I need to install the Daz Extension to import Daz clothing?
Character Creator is on my list to learn this weekend.
Thanks for all the replies.

By animagic - 6 Years Ago
One more comment about SketchUp: The data format changes between versions, so for 3DXchange you need to save in an earlier SketchUp format (2014 or 2015, I believe). This doesn't affect the model.
Data Juggler (7/19/2018)

Do I need to install the Daz Extension to import Daz clothing?
Character Creator is on my list to learn this weekend.

No, as I said, it's only for the Daz characters themselves.

Here's my first tutorial (but see the others to get a complete picture):

Yes, I had to save it as Sketch Up 2015 for it to work.

I will watch your tutorial when I get off work; thanks.
By gordryd - 6 Years Ago
KT, when the Daz clothes are converted (via 3DX) do they "conform" in CC2?  Or do you have to manually adjust to the character? - Thanks
Watch my tutorials.  They work exactly as CC clothes (assuming you bring them in following my methods).
Thanks for the tutorial, but that involved two programs I don't have (Blender and DAZ).
I may install Blender 2.8 sometime next year when it comes out, but I looked at DAZ and something gave me a bad vibe about it, I don't remember what it was..
I have enough programs to learn now as it is, I can't add 2 more to the list.

I do like the "ex-genius" label. I learned so much more once I threw my MENSA Membership away.

I will come back to this once I get past opening Character Creator.