[Suggestion] iPhone X as Motion Live Gear for facial capture ...

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic372411.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By davood.kharmanzar - 6 Years Ago
it would be great if be available iPhone X camera tracking as Motion Live Gear for facial capture ... same method that used for Crazy Talk called "Live Face" ...
i believe that Faceshift tech inside iPhone X is better than Faceware ...
By Kelleytoons - 6 Years Ago
Betcha $1K that RL won't do anything to screw up their partnership with Faceware.

this video shows the difference of the power of iPhone X with Faceware ...
iPhone X in any condition, any angles, wireless, noise free, best hardware, 2 in 1!! pay money for awesome phone + awesome facial capture :]
Oh, I don't doubt it -- I'm just saying, not gonna happen in iClone.  You can take that to the bank.
Kelleytoons (6/28/2018)
Oh, I don't doubt it -- I'm just saying, not gonna happen in iClone.  You can take that to the bank.

so, is it possible to use CrazyTalk for 3d facial animation??

By Peter (RL) - 6 Years Ago
davood.kharmanzar (6/28/2018)

so, is it possible to use CrazyTalk for 3d facial animation??

CrazyTalk 8 supports both 2D and 3D facial animation. 3D characters can be created from one of two facial photos. However you can't use facial mocap with CrazyTalk 8. Facial animation can be created automatically when loading the audio file, or you can manually create the animation using the puppeteering tools.
Peter (RL) (6/29/2018)

CrazyTalk 8 supports both 2D and 3D facial animation. 3D characters can be created from one of two facial photos. However you can't use facial mocap with CrazyTalk 8. Facial animation can be created automatically when loading the audio file, or you can manually create the animation using the puppeteering tools.

well, seems that be better to using simpler way ... i mean motion live faceware BigGrin
but i hope to see iphone method for motion live ...

By mrjmwolff - 6 Years Ago
You are absolutely right about this. I am currently asking Reallusion why CrazyTalk Animator 3 has a plug-in built specifically for the Iphone X's incredible 3d motion capture abilities and it is not being utilised within Iclone for what it was made for, 3D facial capture using its depth camera.
There little doubt in my mind that the Iphone X provides more accurate and reliable motion capture data than the system currently being used by faceware, and bearing in mind Reallusion have already provided a plug-in for CrazyTalk, it seems nonsensical not to do this for Iclone....it can only make Iclone an even more invaluable tool to use.
Kelleytoons (6/28/2018)

now its time to say goodbye to noisy faceware :]
https://forum.reallusion.com/375622/LIVE-FACE-iPhone-X-Profile
Yeah, I saw that but what I was referring to was your showing that OTHER plugin (which isn't going to be supported).  So, yes, we can use our iPhone X (which I love) but I'm going to predict right now it will be VERY expensive, just as much as Faceware (perhaps more).  So -- again, you pays your money, you takes your chances.

(However, I'll be the first to be happy if it's not -- although I'm not so sure about the quality. The examples I saw were nowhere near as good as the Faceware plugin).
By dogged2003 - 6 Years Ago
davood.kharmanzar (8/10/2018)
Kelleytoons (6/28/2018)

now its time to say goodbye to noisy faceware :]
https://forum.reallusion.com/375622/LIVE-FACE-iPhone-X-Profile

Ha ha ha. Now we need an iPhone 10 emulator under Windows with Kinect support. Then we can buy a plug-in ...
dogged2003 (8/10/2018)

we need an iPhone 10 emulator under Windows with Kinect support.

and where is this emulator?
Kelleytoons (8/10/2018)
Yeah, I saw that but what I was referring to was your showing that OTHER plugin (which isn't going to be supported).  So, yes, we can use our iPhone X (which I love) but I'm going to predict right now it will be VERY expensive, just as much as Faceware (perhaps more).  So -- again, you pays your money, you takes your chances.

(However, I'll be the first to be happy if it's not -- although I'm not so sure about the quality. The examples I saw were nowhere near as good as the Faceware plugin).

Hi KT,

The Live Face Profile is $249 so not as expensive as Faceware. Of course you also need the iPhone X. You can find out all about it HERE.
Cool, cool, cool -- I already have the phone, of course.

And I see there's a trial, which is good because, well, I already have Faceware (which I like, but it never hurts to have more tools).  I'll be interested to see just how good this works in comparison (let's hope the trial does allow a full evaluation in this regard -- I don't care if it's watermarked or such, but at the least it should allow some sort of capture I can directly compare).

The main problem I saw (and I did see this even in the demo) was the phone just isn't designed well to be tripoded -- I know there are solutions, but at least in the past I've never seen anything I particularly liked.  And there's no way this old man is going to handhold his phone while trying to do capture.  But I need to look again, there may be things that have been developed (the last time I looked for a stable phone tripod was for my iPhone 5, so it's been a while).
By mtakerkart - 6 Years Ago
@Peter
Does Face live allow to record 2 characters simultenaously ? I'm very interested with it because it's Faceshift algorythm.

@Kelly
You can build very cheap gear:

Thanks, I'll look at that but I'm more interested in having something on my desk rather than wearing something.

Peter -- I see the trial (sigh) doesn't allow recording, which makes a certain kind of sense for MOST things but definitely NOT for this -- how the hell is an individual going to evaluate a facial mocap when you can hardly even look at the screen at the same time you are recording (I have a terrible time with Faceware because the glasses I have to wear to see my computer screen don't allow facial capture.  But even when I switch to other glasses the damn camera is in the way of me actually seeing what's going on).

Sigh.  I guess I can get my wife to test things out, but it's really kind of dumb here not to at least allow, say, even five seconds of record so I could compare and see if it's worth it (I'm such a software whore I'll probably buy it anyway, even already owning Faceware, but...).

Maker -- you can record up to four characters at once, it looks like (see the documentation).  I'm not sure how it actually works via wi-fi or USB in that regard, because I have a hard enough time getting my computer to recognize my iPhone as is, but we'll see.
And now all the tripods I see for iPhones hold the phone in the wrong direction -- if anyone knows of one (that sits on a desk) that holds it in the profile direction please let me know, as that's kind of a deal-breaker for me.
Kelleytoons (8/10/2018)
Thanks, I'll look at that but I'm more interested in having something on my desk rather than wearing something.

Peter -- I see the trial (sigh) doesn't allow recording, which makes a certain kind of sense for MOST things but definitely NOT for this -- how the hell is an individual going to evaluate a facial mocap when you can hardly even look at the screen at the same time you are recording (I have a terrible time with Faceware because the glasses I have to wear to see my computer screen don't allow facial capture.  But even when I switch to other glasses the damn camera is in the way of me actually seeing what's going on).

Sigh.  I guess I can get my wife to test things out, but it's really kind of dumb here not to at least allow, say, even five seconds of record so I could compare and see if it's worth it (I'm such a software whore I'll probably buy it anyway, even already owning Faceware, but...).

Maker -- you can record up to four characters at once, it looks like (see the documentation).  I'm not sure how it actually works via wi-fi or USB in that regard, because I have a hard enough time getting my computer to recognize my iPhone as is, but we'll see.

I'll pass on your feedback about the lack of recording in the trial. Hopefully you can do enough to evaluate the actual capture process with the help of your assistant (aka the wife). 
ok Thank you Kelly,

I saw this on the documentation :

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/1675c997-ccac-4876-8522-8f18.jpg

I hope it's not only for diferent devices. I suppose it could be 4 live faces simultaneously...
I think it's for different devices:

http://manual.reallusion.com/Motion_LIVE_Plugin/ENU/Content/iClone_7/Pro_7.0/29_Plug_in/Motion_Live/Multi_Gears_Controlling_Multi_Characters_iPhoneX.htm

And, again, if anyone has any advice on a tripod I'd appreciate it (I'm still searching Amazon and see NOTHING that holds the phone in the portrait position -- I thought everyone took selfies that way, but I'm hardly the expert on selfies :>Wink.
Thank you Kelly , It's exactly the info I wanted to know. I will go this evening to change my very old cell phone with an Iphone X , I will check if they have
tripod.

i`m just curious about performance of Live Face when iPhone attached to the helmet on actor movements vs. faceware ...
hope to see an video about that from Reallusion to clarifying differences ...
By duchess110 - 6 Years Ago
Kelleytoons (8/10/2018)

http://manual.reallusion.com/Motion_LIVE_Plugin/ENU/Content/iClone_7/Pro_7.0/29_Plug_in/Motion_Live/Multi_Gears_Controlling_Multi_Characters_iPhoneX.htm

And, again, if anyone has any advice on a tripod I'd appreciate it (I'm still searching Amazon and see NOTHING that holds the phone in the portrait position -- I thought everyone took selfies that way, but I'm hardly the expert on selfies :>Wink.

This is on Amazon UK but is it the sort of thing you are after.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ulanzi-Horizontal-Universal-Adjustable-Smartphones/dp/B07D1MD8BM/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1533928899&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=Ulanzi+Tripod+and+phone+mount&psc=1

edit added
here is another that I just saw and thought of you.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074276FZ1/ref=psdc_1340853031_t5_B07D1MD8BM
By dogged2003 - 6 Years Ago
davood.kharmanzar (8/10/2018)
i`m just curious about performance of Live Face when iPhone attached to the helmet on actor movements vs. faceware ...
hope to see an video about that from Reallusion to clarifying differences ...

Yes!!! Real video. Not as for Kinect. I'm now killing flies with this thing.
By animagic - 6 Years Ago
Kelleytoons (6/28/2018)
Betcha $1K that RL won't do anything to screw up their partnership with Faceware.

Someone could've cashed in if they'd taken that bet...Tongue
animagic (8/10/2018)
Kelleytoons (6/28/2018)

Someone could've cashed in if they'd taken that bet...Tongue

yup ... its me :]

By mrjmwolff - 6 Years Ago
Hi All,
Have just been doing initial tests on Iphone x plugin and its good. For me its more responsive and accurate than Faceware and doesn't have the sync problems. It also has more points of facial detection (therefore more accurate rendition of emotion) and works in different lighting conditions. I'm still at early stages of testing but my initial feeling is that it is definitely superior to Faceware....and if you already own an Iphone X (which I accept is expensive) the profile is around $250 for members.
I've been waiting for the precision of faceshift software  to be implemented by iClone and its great that RL have gone for it.
Its a great time to be learning realtime animation.
By kungphu - 6 Years Ago
What is this sorcery!!! I’m off the forum for a few days and this??!! This is great news. And KT lucked out he still has his 1k Smile Definitely buying this since I already have an IPhoneX. So very cool!!!
By argus1000 - 6 Years Ago
I might be mistaken here, but with iPhone X Live, you have to have the actors present; with Faceware, the actors can be as far away as China. All they need is a webcam. Have them send the capture through the Internet and you still get good results. Something to think about.
Actually, it's kind of the other way around -- you can connect the iPhone through the internet and capture from anywhere (I don't think you can do that with Faceware -- I have a hard enough time doing it locally).

The real advantage FW has is you can capture from video (so you could have your actors send you their performances).  I'm glad I have both.
By jason.delatorre - 6 Years Ago
Kelleytoons (8/10/2018)

Kelley, not sure if you found your solution already but I saw this one out there - does this work for you?
https://thoughtout.biz/iphone-tripod-mount-ped5-h/

Thanks for still thinking of me.

I ended up getting a Gorillapod with a universal phone mount that works great.  I do like Gorillapods (this is my third) and I needed a small tripod solution on my desk.  Let's see if I have the link:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C7UYCWW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
By j-wag - 6 Years Ago
Hope nobody took you up on that