Can't get Faceware to work in Motion LIVE

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic370828.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Kelleytoons - 6 Years Ago
Here's a video showing my problem (sent to support but just in case some smart folks here can spot what the issue might be):

By Peter (RL) - 6 Years Ago
Hi KT,

With Faceware Realtime selected in the Gear List, go to the Character List and select the Face option (the triangle) and it should show a dropdown. Just select Faceware Realtime and it should connect.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/510747cc-b3a7-4197-af0f-8723.jpg
No, that doesn't work, Peter.

In your video you are trying to select "Faceware Live". You need to ensure that "Faceware Realtime" is selected in the Gear List first (has a solid green circle). It looks like you removed that option from the Gear List in the first video which is why it is no longer shown.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/73e9098d-fb64-45d9-a9fe-8e4a.png

Hmmm, I could have SWORN I tried "Faceware Realtime" when I first got this setup, and then I removed it because it didn't work and so I thought the "Live" was corresponding to the "LIVE" of Motion.  That almost has to be the problem, though, since others aren't having any issues.

I'll try again (but it IS confusing that the two are named so -- Realtime is Live and Live is not LIVE, I guess :>Wink.
Okay, that does work.  Thanks, Peter, I'll remove it from my trouble ticket.
By TonyDPrime - 6 Years Ago
KT - I also saw in your video that you didn't have the "Avoid Poor Performance" mode selected in the Troubleshooting tab of the LeapMotion controller, perhaps that is leading to some of the jitter you were seeing in the hands.  Kai mentions you want to have this selected 'on' in the video.  Also, in the vid Kai does address the upside down palm thing, but I don't remember exactly what he says, but it is in that video...

But at least you have it working, I just have nothing with the LeapMotion still Ermm

Great to hear you got it sorted now. Smile
TonyDPrime (6/6/2018)
KT - I also saw in your video that you didn't have the "Avoid Poor Performance" mode selected in the Troubleshooting tab of the LeapMotion controller, perhaps that is leading to some of the jitter you were seeing in the hands.  Kai mentions you want to have this selected 'on' in the video.  Also, in the vid Kai does address the upside down palm thing, but I don't remember exactly what he says, but it is in that video...

Actually, in the video he says to NOT have that checkmarked (what he says is something like "we don't need to worry about this as we can easily fix this later".  I assume by "we" he means "our crack team of engineers who have far more time than you ever would").  I don't remember him saying anything about the hands down thing other than if you have desktop versus head mounted you need to have the right one selected (which I do).  Trust me, I've watched that video dozens of times before I even bought this (thinking, "wow, it works so great!"  I have since revised my opinion :>Wink.

I truly think the biggest issue is that they (and by "they" I mean RL, who obviously NEVER uses anyone other than in-house betas who don't try anything that a real user would) used a head mounted display.  Either that or they were VERY careful on how they pressed the spacebar.  As another user noted here, once you move your arm in a different position and THEN press that spacebar that motion is added to the arms (as it's re-positioned back normally).  This HAS to result in uneven hands -- no way around it.  I find I can get it "better" if I'm really careful about this, but what we really need is just a short "countdown" (even two seconds would work) to allow us to get our arms in the right position.  Again, lack of real testing on this stuff, which frustrates me no end.

By TonyDPrime - 6 Years Ago
Kelleytoons (6/6/2018)
TonyDPrime (6/6/2018)

Actually, in the video he says to NOT have that checkmarked (what he says is something like "we don't need to worry about this as we can easily fix this later".  I assume by "we" he means "our crack team of engineers who have far more time than you ever would").  I don't remember him saying anything about the hands down thing other than if you have desktop versus head mounted you need to have the right one selected (which I do).  Trust me, I've watched that video dozens of times before I even bought this (thinking, "wow, it works so great!"  I have since revised my opinion :>Wink.

I truly think the biggest issue is that they (and by "they" I mean RL, who obviously NEVER uses anyone other than in-house betas who don't try anything that a real user would) used a head mounted display.  Either that or they were VERY careful on how they pressed the spacebar.  As another user noted here, once you move your arm in a different position and THEN press that spacebar that motion is added to the arms (as it's re-positioned back normally).  This HAS to result in uneven hands -- no way around it.  I find I can get it "better" if I'm really careful about this, but what we really need is just a short "countdown" (even two seconds would work) to allow us to get our arms in the right position.  Again, lack of real testing on this stuff, which frustrates me no end.

So I saw your response and checked the video and you are absolutely right, he says to have it off.  I got excited and ran back into iClone to see if it work with the mode unchecked....And.............
No dice Crying
Also tried reinstalling both LeapMotion and MotionLive Plugin, but nada.

I wish I too had findings and could concur...I mentally can, but not in practice Angry
By barry.long - 6 Years Ago

Here’s my experience so far with Motion LIVE and the Leap Controller:

1)     I had to download the Windows Firmware Reset Tool from Leap Motion in order to get all green indicators in the Device Status on the Leap Motion Control Panel.

Leap Motion > Leap Motion Support > Support > Troubleshooting Guide > Windows Firmware Reset Tool > LM_FirmwareReset_Win.exe

https://support.leapmotion.com/hc/en-us/articles/223782688-Troubleshooting-Guide

2)     I haven’t figured out how to hold both hands in the calibration pose and press the spacebar at the same time.  I’m thinking of pressing the spacebar with my nose or hold a pencil in my teeth and pressing the spacebar with the eraser. 

3)     I’m getting a lot of jitter.  I think we are supposed to smooth out the jitters in the Curve Editor but I haven’t gotten to that point yet.

By argus1000 - 6 Years Ago
barry.long (6/18/2018)

I haven’t figured out how to hold both hands in the calibration pose and press the spacebar at the same time.  I’m thinking of pressing the spacebar with my nose or hold a pencil in my teeth and pressing the spacebar with the eraser. 

They sell  a USB foot switch at Amazon for $12

By barry.long - 6 Years Ago
Okay, thank you.  I will look on Amazon for that foot switch.
By larryjbiz - 6 Years Ago
****Deleted*****
By argus1000 - 5 Years Ago
My problem is I can't get  Motion Live to connect with Faceware for iClone either. If you look at the picture below, you will see that it says everything is connected. The light is green and the preview and record windows are available., but I still can't make my actor/character face to move.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/bcab8b62-6b94-426a-ae70-11af.png
By Zcotty - 4 Years Ago
argus1000 (9/7/2019)
My problem is I can't get  Motion Live to connect with Faceware for iClone either. If you look at the picture below, you will see that it says everything is connected. The light is green and the preview and record windows are available., but I still can't make my actor/character face to move.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/bcab8b62-6b94-426a-ae70-11af.png

I'm having this exact same problem. Did you ever find the solution?
By Kelleytoons - 4 Years Ago
I think the OP had the wrong Faceware selected (note there are two different ones).  Try the other one.