Part 2 Fireball XL5 Episode 2 'Flight to Danger"

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic370388.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Walt_R - 6 Years Ago

Presenting a color animation of Part 2 Fireball XL5, Episode 2 “Flight to Danger”. Created by Gerry & Sylvia Anderson,  the show was produced by AP Films and distributed by ITC Entertainment. The black  & white UK children’s series used marionettes for all its characters and appeared  on US television from 1963-1965 on NBC. Animated with iClone 7, voices, sound effects and music are from the original TV broadcast.

For ages 12 and younger or anyone who is young at heart. I  hope you enjoy.

By RB3006 - 6 Years Ago
Great (and a lot) work. I like it.
By sonic7 - 6 Years Ago
Yes, the more I look into these eps, the more I realize the amount of work you've put into them.
Incredible - (I think it's been said before, - it would've taken an entire crew to achieve this in the past).
Well done ... Smile

By toystorylab - 6 Years Ago
Cool, well done! "Astronauts Wings" deserved...
By Peter Blood - 6 Years Ago
Hahaha I agree with toystorylab. You earned your wings. Great job.
Watched, commented, and liked on YT, I know it counts there as well. Smile

Cool pete
By pinguintje - 6 Years Ago
I agree with toystorylab and Peter Blood.
But you earn also a special reward for this masterpiece: ...….The Golden Astronaut.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/40ef3793-8e16-49ad-ad6c-b198.jpg

Great work!!!SmileSmileSmile

Best Regards,
Arie
By Postfrosch - 6 Years Ago
Hi Walt,
I love these films from you.
Unfortunately, I could not see Anderson's puppet films (except for Thunderbirds) as a child in Germany.
Even if I can not always follow the English text (my school English fades more and more since I'm retired) that does not matter to me. The content opens up to me as well- Keep up the good work

Greets from Germany
Postfrosch
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/afd4d1b3-ff35-49bb-a3d2-bc0a.gif
By vlado - 6 Years Ago
Hey walt , great job and excellent made. Better than the original, Very hard work, bravo.
By Walt_R - 6 Years Ago

RB3006 BigGrin sonic7 BigGrin toystorylabBigGrin Peter Blood BigGrin Pinguintje BigGrin PostfroschBigGrin Vlado BigGrin

Thank you all for the comments and the Wings and the Golden  Astronaut.

I started the animation on episode 2 April 27 and was video  editing by May 24 (I lost 3 days because power went out do to a tornado). Many of the sets I have premade much like a studio. Most  time consuming is the animation (getting the characters to do what you want  them to do). I spent an entire day on a five second clip of Venus operating a  console. Continuity is another issue, making sure control panels and background  videos are running and operating in every scene. Lighting is also a concern as I don’t want  scenes to turn out too dark.

Walt

By sonic7 - 6 Years Ago
>>> ....I started the animation on episode 2 April 27 and was video editing by May 24.... <<<
That's good going imo !
By Peter Blood - 6 Years Ago
Walt:

If I'd have realized 5 years ago that I would end up spending an entire day trying to teach a virtual puppet
to do things any moron can do without thinking, I would have probably shot myself.

But, I'm used to it now. Tongue

Cool pete
By TopOneTone - 6 Years Ago
Well done Walt another great execution. Very smooth animation and the scenes are a visual treat. Especially loved Venus' celebration wiggle. Excellent show...keep 'em coming!
Cheers,
Tony 
By thebiz.movies - 6 Years Ago
Love the mix of radio audio (the old) with 3d animation (the new) and really love the super fast pacing.  Nothing drags.  Always full speed ahead!
By Alolu - 6 Years Ago
Another great episode!!  Really fantastic work!!! SmileSmileSmile
By CtrlZ - 6 Years Ago
Thank you for another trip back through time Mark!
Excellent!! 5 Stars  

Gary
By Alien Maniac - 6 Years Ago
Very impressive work, keep em coming... thanks for sharing.

By mark - 6 Years Ago
What a complete HOOT!!!! Love 'em! Keep up the good work!!! BRAVO!!!TongueTongueTongue
By Walt_R - 6 Years Ago

TopOneTone BigGrin thebiz.movies BigGrin Alolu BigGrin CtrlZ BigGrin Space Rider BigGrin Mark BigGrin

Thank you all for the comments. They are very much appreciated.  

Fireball XL5 was way ahead of its time for a children’s show.The basic premise was a military United Space Force dedicated to the defense of  earth and space exploration. In my opinion it was a precursor to Gene  Roddenberry’s Star Trek. I can imagine Colonel Zodiac and Captain James T. Kirk  sitting in a bar somewhere in the galaxy swapping war stories while downing  shots of Romulan ale. Zodiac pining away for Venus while Kirk tells tales of the many alien women he's bedded for the good of the Federation. Tongue

Walt

By bruceberg - 6 Years Ago
Walt...Very impressive and so much fun to  watch. I watched the original show as a kid, so that made it double fun!
Regards...Bruce
By kungphu - 6 Years Ago
This brings back so many memories. Goodness this is great work! Please keep me coming. Consider me a huge fan! You capture the spirit of the original production but give it a modern look. Very tough to stay true to the original, it you knocked it out of the park! Keep em coming!
By Walt_R - 6 Years Ago
Thank you bruceberg BigGrin and kungphu BigGrin

I too loved the show as a child and even had a Fireball XL5 toy set. I rediscovered it two years back when it became available to watch with a Shout Factory subscription through Amazon Prime. As I watched each episode I thought "This would be perfect to animate with iClone." There was a central cast of 6 and limited sets and settings. I admit I've been enjoying doing it. 

Thank you again for watching.
By vlado - 6 Years Ago
Hey walt fantastic work better than the orignial.
By Walt_R - 6 Years Ago
Thank you, vlado. BigGrin
Working on sets and characters for episode 3, part 1.  I hope to release it in August or September.
By Kelleytoons - 6 Years Ago
As others have said, truly great work.

I am indeed old enough to have watched these shows originally (although this old brain misremembered -- I would have bet my life the originals were in color).  Seeing your color version has an interesting effect of actually seeming like my old brain remembers it this way, if I can explain it properly.  Just like things seem more vivid in retrospect, my "memory" of the show is actually more in line with what you have achieved than the actual show was.  In my mind the show was widescreen (my brain knows it was not, but my heart...) and in vivid colors and the characters were just as you rendered.

So I actually watched this side by side with the original, on my dual monitors, pausing and playing a few minutes from each to compare.   Looking at the original it's pretty amazing that it's no where near as good as I remembered... but your version is.  It's like you're inside my mind!!  <g>.  Almost every single choice you made was how I either remembered it or how I would have liked it to have been (down to such things as having the young trainee actually look young, whereas in the original he looks at least as old as Steve).  The only "nit" I would pick is your robot is much fatter (I would have preferred him to be as sleek as the original).  But that's a very minor nit -- otherwise you put it through the "make it better" filter and it came out glorious.

So I assume you didn't have a mocap solution since you talked about the animation being the difficult part.  When watching this all I could think of in that regard was -- even with mocap, could I actually "perform" the way the marionettes do?  I'm not so sure, but you sure have got it nailed down however you are doing it.

I eagerly await your next episodes.  
By Walt_R - 6 Years Ago

Mike (Kellytoons), I am deeply flattered that you watched the  original episode and my reanimation side-by-side.  BigGrin I agree what we watch in the  past and how we remember it varies greatly.

I was 4 and 5 years old when Fireball XL5 originally aired  on US television. Afterward I became a fan of Gerry Anderson’s StingRay and  Captain Scarlett, then as I grew older UFO and Space 1999.

The one show I never watched as a child was Thunderbirds (I don’t  remember the reason why).

Flash forward, two years ago, all these great shows became  available to stream. I was most excited about Thunderbirds believing it to be  Fireball XL5 (for I had forgotten the name). When I watched the Thunderbird episodes,  I was baffled because this was not the show I recalled seeing. I started to doubt  that the show I saw as a child ever existed. Part of the problem, I was absolutely  convinced Fireball was in color. Also everyone my age kept telling me the show  I was talking about was called Thunderbirds. Nearly convinced my memories were  faulty, I just happened to watch a Black & White episode of Fireball XL5. It  was like rediscovering childhood friends. With each episode I became captivated  all over again. I thought to myself this hidden gem of a children’s show would  be perfect to animate in iClone.

Again, thank you for watching and I hopefully future  episodes will all be “Go! Go! Go!”