No license found on this pc... Servers down ?

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic369652.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Kalex - 6 Years Ago
Hi everyone,
Since the faceware tech website (specifically the license activation) is down for maintenance since yesterday, my faceware plugin no longer works with iclone. Do you guys have the same issue ? Is it normal ?

Thanks in advance !
By Kelleytoons - 6 Years Ago
My problem is worse -- I can't transfer my license to my new machine (Brian at FW says they are "working" on the issue but it doesn't sound as if it will be fixed in my lifetime).
By Kalex - 6 Years Ago
Thanks for the reply, I see it must be a common problem... I wrote to the Faceware Technical Support, I'm waiting for the answer. They told you they are working on it but did they tell you what issue it is exactly ?
It's not good -- it's with the licensing software.  Apparently they use a company that really doesn't allow you to transfer the license (or do much else with it).  They said they've never had an issue in the past because they worked with high level companies (so it's kind of a put-down "We're sorry, but you're just a single person and we're used to working with REAL companies") but it's bullshit because even those folks will have times they need to move a license (and what happens when their drives fail?  He seemed to imply that never happens with such companies which, again, bullshit).

I think the REAL answer is they have never sold many copies -- maybe a handful -- and so they didn't worry about it.  And I'm not at all hopeful this will ever be resolved.  But we'll see (and don't expect an answer right away -- I'm still waiting for a reply on a message I sent to him three days ago.  They take their own sweet time).
By Kalex - 6 Years Ago
Maybe you're right... But since we paid for this (and not a cheap price) they will have to fix this issue. Maybe they will take a little more time but they can't let us down just because we are amateurs. We shall wait then... And wait for an answer from Reallusion too (even if they told me to directly write to Faceware). But if they see that this problem is common for every faceware user, maybe they can help us too ?

The only thing I know for sure is that Faceware won't sell many (any?) more of these unless they get this licensing thing fixed -- anyone right now would be a fool to buy it.
By Peter (RL) - 6 Years Ago
Thank you for the feedback regarding these licensing issues. 

As a third party product "Faceware Realtime For iClone" licensing is handled by Faceware Technologies. However I will look into this to see what we can do to try and improve the situation. 
Peter,

Anything RL can do will be helpful -- I did get another reply from Brian today, who said they were continuing to work with their licensing maker on getting the problem resolved.  And while I think that's fine for the immediate future, I do not think that's an acceptable long term solution.

The thing that worries me the most is the "you must disable your license on your active machine in order to move it" issue.  As I pointed out to FW, if a drive or machine goes bad that's not possible (and in point of fact it's not even possible when the machine is fine -- I followed their instructions and still couldn't remove the license, even though it involved using DOS commands, something no user should ever have to do).  I have used a LOT of high end software (some a lot more expensive than even FW) and licenses are never this complicated.  You ought to be able to manage them on the server end, including deactiving and reactivating on other machines.  Since RL is selling this software I would think the concern needs to be very real on your end.
By Kalex - 6 Years Ago
Hello,

I have news from faceware but I don't know if Brian told you the same: "We can use these to take a look at your license and likely create an update to fix it." So they are trying to make an update but I don't know for what. Still doesn't explain the problem and why we have to wait all this time...
He didn't tell me that so thanks for the additional info.

Obviously it's always frustrating when software you pay for (unlike the pirates) doesn't work, but particularly frustrating when it's nothing extraordinary in the way of your system and/or other controllable things.  In this case it's totally because they are using DRM technology unsuited for this market.
By urbanlamb - 6 Years Ago
Kelleytoons (5/24/2018)
They said they've never had an issue in the past because they worked with high level companies (so it's kind of a put-down "We're sorry, but you're just a single person and we're used to working with REAL companies").

Kinda glad I decided to hold off for a year to see how this worked out for people.    Such a response is not very professional and yeah statements like that make me one to give me money to someone else.     

Kelleytoons (5/24/2018)
Peter,

Anything RL can do will be helpful -- I did get another reply from Brian today, who said they were continuing to work with their licensing maker on getting the problem resolved.  And while I think that's fine for the immediate future, I do not think that's an acceptable long term solution.

The thing that worries me the most is the "you must disable your license on your active machine in order to move it" issue.  As I pointed out to FW, if a drive or machine goes bad that's not possible (and in point of fact it's not even possible when the machine is fine -- I followed their instructions and still couldn't remove the license, even though it involved using DOS commands, something no user should ever have to do).  I have used a LOT of high end software (some a lot more expensive than even FW) and licenses are never this complicated.  You ought to be able to manage them on the server end, including deactiving and reactivating on other machines.  Since RL is selling this software I would think the concern needs to be very real on your end.

We are currently discussing this transfer license issue with Faceware. I will update again once more is known. 
Thanks, Peter -- I will be waiting as patiently as I can (of COURSE the first thing I wanted to do with my new machine was some Faceware Projects.  Sigh).
By Kalex - 6 Years Ago
Thank you Peter.
Let us pray then the Reallusion God (if he exists) for the problem to be solved soon.
By Kalex - 6 Years Ago
So... Any news from faceware ? They didn't reply to me since last time =(
Sorry, guy -- they aren't exactly forthcoming with news (and in this case, no news ISN'T good news).

Hopefully RL will be able to shake something loose.  This doesn't reflect well on them, particularly when they will soon be unveiling their "unified mocap" thingee (imagine how unuseful that will be if it involves Faceware :>Wink.
By Kalex - 6 Years Ago
Hello again,

Did you have any news ? For me, everything went surprisingly back to normal... I can't explain why. Did you find a solution for your license transfer issue ?
Glad it's working for you -- I have not heard back from Brian so, no, no ability to transfer my license yet.  He did provide me with a 14 day trial that supposedly would work unrestricted, but I have not yet installed it yet (just in case I *really* need to use it -- right at the moment I'm off on another project that doesn't require it).

Kalex (5/27/2018)
So... Any news from faceware ? They didn't reply to me since last time =(

No news to share just yet. Discussions are still ongoing to try and find a better solution for license transfers.

I would advise anyone who is still having license problems to keep in touch with Faceware.
Yeah, it's kind of hard to keep in touch since they don't reply for days (I wrote to Brian again but it's been a while with no answer).

I can't imagine anyone buying Faceware right now -- I certainly wouldn't recommend it.
By tycho6 - 6 Years Ago
Kelleytoons (6/5/2018)
Yeah, it's kind of hard to keep in touch since they don't reply for days (I wrote to Brian again but it's been a while with no answer).

I can't imagine anyone buying Faceware right now -- I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

Hi Kelleytoons !
I hope you got it sorted out in the meantime !

Yesterday I tried to install the Faceware Software with iClone 7.22 and Live Motion the following procedure failed:
https://kb.reallusion.com/Product/52568/How-to-activate-Faceware-Realtime-for-iClone-Full-version

On the web page ( http://facewaretech.com/products/software/license-activation/ ) was a message:

Due to our recent server maintenance, it may be necessary to give
you a new License Ticket. If you get a message that your Ticket
was not found, please email support@facewaretech.com with your
Ticket number and we’ll quickly issue you a new one!

So I contacted support and got a new Ticket (serial number) today which worked fine so I could activate Faceware Realtime and get it working in iClone 7.22 with the Live Motion Plug-In.

Asking Brian about the license transfer to a different computer:
Please refer to the following article for instructions should you wish to transfer your license in the future: http://support.facewaretech.com/transferring-a-license

So it should not be a problem . . .

I hope this information helps

Regards,

Marcus

They ended up giving me another license as well.  But that doesn't speak highly of their licensing process.

Let's hope they can get it all sorted out.
By 45thdiv - 5 Years Ago
Well, I finally had some time to try out my faceware.  When I purchased the packed deal from Reallusion in March, I was too busy at my day job to install.  Well, yesterday I went to use it, but no "ticket" or license key.  I followed the instructions for reporting this to the faceware support email, but no word yet.  I was hoping that after reading this thread on the forum, that there would be a happy light at the end of the tunnel.  Maybe there is one coming soon.  Would love to be able to use the software I paid a bit of money for.
By animagic - 5 Years Ago
I'm hoping with you. My system became inoperable, so I had to wipe the drive and reinstall Windows. This means reinstalling FaceWare as well and hoping to get a license.

I've mentioned it before, but I really wished RL put some pressure on FaceWare to get this sorted out. There have been too many horror stories.
By 45thdiv - 5 Years Ago
Well, I was given a new “ticket”. Since I had never activated the old ticket. It worked. So I am greatful, but in their email the must have written is several times that I could only use it one time and to be sure it is installed on the PC I will be using. I am afraid of running into the same issues Kelly has run into with a drive crash.. I wonder if I back up the new folder that was created when I installed the software if that will save my license key? What if I do a disk image copy.? (As you can see by my questions and wording, computer operations and backup aren’t my strong points)
By wires - 5 Years Ago
@45thdiv,

I don't own, or know the software, but I strongly suspect that just making a copy of one folder would be of no use. Where one-time keys are required to activate and use software on a PC then you can be sure that there is more than just a newly created folder controlling the whole thing. It is almost 100% certain that there are encrypted entries in the Windows registry at the very least, and almost possibly other files spread in the main Windows folder. Some of this stuff even notes the number of the CPU, or the number of one of the Network adaptors installed on the Mainboard and logs this information in a file.

My NLE, Avid Media Composer, logs the Network adaptor number along with 2 other numbers but I don't know of any customer that wasn't able to get their system up and running after a crash - a simple email, or even 'phone call, to Avid support has the software back on-line inside 24 hours. But then again, Avid care about their customers which doesn't seem to be the case with FaceWare from what I've read here,

The only "safe" method of protecting your purchase is to make a HD image that can be restored in the event of a crash, and hope that the crash isn't caused by your MB going up in smoke.