[v7.21] - Workaround for the Failure to Auto-convert Daz Genesis Characters

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic365725.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Tenderspirit - 3 Years Ago
Yes I copied it to the correct path.  Now when I try to appy my gen 8 male it too does not work, I am using the Pace figure in Daz.  So far only the Paige gen 8 figure has worked for me.  I don't have any other gen 8 daz figures only Paige and Pace and the origional.  I will try the origional male later today and see if he works. ugh   Thank you for your help so far. Hugs
By TheOldBuffer - 3 Years Ago
Perhaps it could be a good idea if say for instance we users just added Genesis_3, or Genesis_8 etc.to the name of the model at time of export to identify the type of figure it is ???
By dh93 - 3 Years Ago
MnerosNaRa (4/22/2018)
Peter, at this point would it not be better to go back to the old way of detecting daz characters, but then just have a window pop up asking us if it is a Daz 3 or 8 Character. 
A window pops up anyways telling us it have detected a daz import, justadd the Daz 3/8 question on that window. just my two cents, but a logical.

I would prefer a manual popup until the automated could be fixed as well.
By Joanne (RL) - 3 Years Ago
Patch Plan and Temporary Workaround

Out team will provide a workaround solution first by restoring the hidden mesh via a patch for 3DXchange coming out in May.
  • Workaround 1: Unhide the entire mesh
Select the body node and activate Tool Settings > Geometry Editor
Right mouse click on the viewport and execute Geometry Visibility > Show All Polygons to unhide the polygons.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/67156bf3-9435-4a7d-a10a-0b59.png

• Workaround 2: Fix auto-hide mesh data (method 1)
Steps:
1. Replace the Auto-Hide Mesh faces with another type of mesh.  
    • Enter Geometry Editor and select any number of polygons of the pants and press the right mouse button.
    • Perform Geometry Assignment > Set Auto-Hide Faces for Attachment... to open the Set Auto-Hide Faces dialog window.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/bffe43b7-cc17-4504-bd56-b8f5.png
    • Find the shoes inside the Scene Manger and press the right mouse button.
    • Perform Fit "Content name (target Name)" to... and select None.
    • Perform the mentioned steps again, this time select Target [Body] in the Fit to dialog window. 
Instruction video:

• Workaround 3:  Fix auto-hide mesh data (method 2)
Steps:

1. Find the content for removal from the Scene Manager and press the right mouse button to perform Browse to File Location...
2. Copy the name of the file.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/eb03b9dd-d688-40a3-9de7-85a2.png

3. Inside the Daz data folder, search for the name that was just copied and open the (*.dsf) in a text editor.
4. Search for the word "graft" and delete the entire entry between the parenthesis.
5. Save the file as is.  A backup is recommended.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c386462c-f2cf-4247-b34a-572d.png

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/8e893680-c091-431f-9866-cf69.png

Instruction video: 

Peter when I try to convert my gen 3 no viseme comes with it.  Also I don't see them in my Das 4.10  (windows 7)  when I do Gen 8 figures it works perfectly.  I had the same problem with them, when I realized I put the Reallusion folder in the wrong place.  But I have checked na double checked and the folder for the gen 3 female is in the right place, they just will not load, I tried Lisa, and a toon generation 2 (gen 3 figure) and the same thing.  My timeline changes and when I set the fps to 1 I get the 81 frames.  I few eye movements show in the beginning and on number 70 she opens her mouth, but that is it no viseme for my gen 3, and I just bought some from Daz just to be able to use them in iclone 7, ugh   Andy help would be appreciated, I have been reading as many forums on this matter but really got not answer that I know of that will help.  Thank you.   Elsie
By dh93 - 3 Years Ago
Joanne (RL) (4/17/2018)
Workaround for the Failure to Auto-convert Daz Genesis Characters

Hi,
  Your suggested workaround for hiding geometry doesn't seem to work in all instances.

I'm having trouble hiding the geometry for the Pix Circuit G3 character when the character is wearing the pants from the "Vigilante Outfit for Genesis 3 ...".  Note: the workaround works as expected when I apply the Jacket or the Corset from the Vigilante outfit set, but if I apply the pants to the character there seems to be no way to get the character's leg polygons to unhide.

HOWEVER, your workaround works if I switch the pants and use pants from the "Annika Storm for Genesis 3 ..." or the "Mercurial Guardian Outfit for Gen 3 ..." sets (when using the Annika pants or Mercurial pants I'm able to set the geometry visibility to show all polygons).

Thx
Darryl

By charleshoover885 - 3 Years Ago
Thanks Peter.

Charles
The Cause of the Issue

Some of you may be aware of the forum post "Failed to characterize G3".  This issue is caused by the newly implemented identification process for Daz Genesis.

This identification process takes place during the auto-characterization phase for Daz Genesis characters, in which, 3DXchange recognizes the character type by the names of the bones.
Since G3 and G8 characters have the same bone structure, 3DXchange version 7.2 and prior often confuses the two systems.
Now version 7.21 offers a new identification process using "Body Mesh vertex amount" to assign the proper G3 and G8 profiles.
The major caveat with this technique is that the some Daz content with Auto-Hide Mesh (as in the following images) will have the vertex count altered due to the hidden mesh being removed upon export.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/488e10da-ad75-45be-b7a8-a730.png

The deleted faces downsizes the vertex count, so 3DXchange fails to identify the character system and therefore will not enter the auto-convert process to non-standard setup. 
Anytime hide mesh is used, the problem will reoccur.  We apologize for any inconvenience for this shortcoming.

By TonyDPrime - 3 Years Ago
Can I ask while the Daz-3DXchange part is looking at being patched - 
the eyes come over the FBX as unsmoothed, like the rest of the body, but when you hit real-time smooth in iClone, the eyes are still unsmoothed. 
If there is a way to have the eyeball geometry smooth as well, thinking it will make the iris and sclera material look better (sometimes the connection points between the iris and sclera geometry are jagged with a slight gap.) 
Thanks!

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/30141df6-2e7a-4337-acd2-9146.jpg
By Peter (RL) - 3 Years Ago
Hi Everyone,

We have now released the 3DXchange 7.22 update which resolves the auto-conversion issues with Daz Genesis 3 & 8 characters. You can update now via the Reallusion Hub. Smile

Thank you all for your patience.
Tenderspirit (7/4/2018)
Admin:  I am not sure what I did but I solved the problem.  Thank you for trying to help.  I moved all my origional genesis 3 and 8 to My Daz 3 Library,  they were in another folder that I install a bunch of stuff for Daz.  Not sure if that
is what fixed it or not. LOL  But they seem to work now. :>Wink  Thank you for trying to help. Hugs

Thanks for letting us know you were able to resolve the problem. Smile

The Daz folder structure can cause problems especially if you try to customise it so that may have been the problem.
TheOldBuffer (4/19/2018)
Question for RL or anyone else in the know.

What difference does it make to an imported daz gen 8 character if it's recognised by 3dxchange as a gen 3?

Genesis 8 characters were recognised by 7.2 as Genesis 3 which led to animations being messed up unless you manually tweaked things and added the correct Genesis 8 T-Pose.
pruiz (4/20/2018)

I have not tried the workaround as (1) I don't have any of these hidden facets stuff and (2)  I cannot import any G8 characters into 3dx - even ones that used to import fine with 7.2. The figure imports and brings the textured background with it which never used to happen. When it imports it doesn't show pause and the long message panel that used to be there saying "3dX has recognized etc. blah blah" - and when I convert to non-standard it opens with the active box unchecked - and convert greyed out.

Unfortunately I can't reproduce these problems which do not appear to be related to this workaround.

I would advise contacting Technical Support using the link below. If you supply your system dxdiag.txt and some screenshots showing the issue in 3DXchange they will be able to advise you further.

https://www.reallusion.com/CustomerSupport/UserEx/QForm.html
By Snarp Farkle - 2 Years Ago
Joanne (RL) (4/17/2018)
Request for Users' Help

We need your help to collect information on Daz packs, especially those with auto-hide mesh enabled.
If you have encountered an error with auto-conversion in 3DXchange, please provide us with the Daz Pack name and its link in the Daz store.  
It will help us tremendously in the quality control process with future versions of 3DXchange and CC3 Solo product.

Thank you!
Realluson iClone Team

There are some items with hidden mesh that have a long list of hidden surfaces like the ArcTek Cyber items and you must select all of them down to the "}," as in your description.  This confused me the first time I tried this method as I only selected and deleted "graft" : {", silly of me I know but it took me a couple times to realize that I had to select all of them.  Whistling

Request for Users' Help

We need your help to collect information on Daz packs, especially those with auto-hide mesh enabled.
If you have encountered an error with auto-conversion in 3DXchange, please provide us with the Daz Pack name and its link in the Daz store.  
It will help us tremendously in the quality control process with future versions of 3DXchange and CC3 Solo product.

Thank you!
Realluson iClone Team

Tenderspirit (7/2/2018)
Peter when I try to convert my gen 3 no viseme comes with it.  Also I don't see them in my Das 4.10  (windows 7)  when I do Gen 8 figures it works perfectly.  I had the same problem with them, when I realized I put the Reallusion folder in the wrong place.  But I have checked na double checked and the folder for the gen 3 female is in the right place, they just will not load, I tried Lisa, and a toon generation 2 (gen 3 figure) and the same thing.  My timeline changes and when I set the fps to 1 I get the 81 frames.  I few eye movements show in the beginning and on number 70 she opens her mouth, but that is it no viseme for my gen 3, and I just bought some from Daz just to be able to use them in iclone 7, ugh   Andy help would be appreciated, I have been reading as many forums on this matter but really got not answer that I know of that will help.  Thank you.   Elsie

Hi Elsie,

Do make sure you have copied the "Reallusion" folder from iClone_Daz_Genesis_Extension_v4_IC7\DAZ Genesis Extension\Daz Genesis to iClone\Genesis3_Female to the location below (default install).

C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 3\Female\Morphs

Then make sure you restart Daz Studio for the changes to take effect. Now once you apply the Genesis3_Female_iCloneFaceKey.duf file to your character it should be correctly assigned.

What difference does it make to an imported daz gen 8 character if it's recognised by 3dxchange as a gen 3?
By MnerosNaRa - 3 Years Ago
Peter, at this point would it not be better to go back to the old way of detecting daz characters, but then just have a window pop up asking us if it is a Daz 3 or 8 Character. 
A window pops up anyways telling us it have detected a daz import, just add the Daz 3/8 question on that window. just my two cents, but a logical.

Peter (RL) (4/19/2018)
TheOldBuffer (4/19/2018)

Genesis 8 characters were recognised by 7.2 as Genesis 3 which led to animations being messed up unless you manually tweaked things and added the correct Genesis 8 T-Pose.

As the genesis 8 eyes aren't auto mapped I add the gen 8 T-pose when setting the eyes. What else needs tweaking? Would it be possible for a genesis character 1,2,3 or 8 to be recognised by 3dxchange  by adding type in it's name, e.g.  Name_gen-8.fbx ?  I'm not a programmer so I don't know. 
By pruiz - 3 Years Ago
I had reported this as an error in the facial map auto-convert for G8 to 3dx but actually, I apologize for my own stupidity and lack of attention to detail in the conversion workflow. The facekey must be dragged and dropped on theHEAD - not the whole body - as this is what causes an out of sequence series of facial maps. Culoa mea stupida. Just thgought I'd point this out - I'm sure everyone will follow the workflow perfectly but . . .
pruiz (4/22/2018)
Even if you have a G8 character it shows G3 at the 3dx window on import. And the latest profile for G8 is all screwed up. The facial maps are completely off. It looks like nobody is paying attention - worse - they ignore the complexity of this complicated import. If Daz import is going to be a 'big deal" with an upcoming announcement someone need to get this organized and under control. Otherwise, Daz to iclone via fbx is just a punt. 
MnerosNaRa (4/22/2018)
A window pops up anyways telling us it have detected a daz import, just add the Daz 3/8 question on that window. just my two cents, but a logical.

Admin:  I am not sure what I did but I solved the problem.  Thank you for trying to help.  I moved all my origional genesis 3 and 8 to My Daz 3 Library,  they were in another folder that I install a bunch of stuff for Daz.  Not sure if that
is what fixed it or not. LOL  But they seem to work now. :>Wink  Thank you for trying to help. Hugs
TheOldBuffer (4/19/2018)

To RL. the recognition works in 7.2 whether it has hidden mesh, or geografts, G1.2.3.8 or whatever else can be thrown at it

Actually that's incorrect. Genesis 8 characters were not correctly recognised in 3DXchange 7.2.
By pruiz - 3 Years Ago
Even if you have a G8 character it shows G3 at the 3dx window on import. And the latest profile for G8 is all screwed up. The facial maps are completely off. It looks like nobody is paying attention - worse - they ignore the complexity of this complicated import. If Daz import is going to be a 'big deal" with an upcoming announcement someone need to get this organized and under control. Otherwise, Daz to iclone via fbx is just a punt. 
MnerosNaRa (4/22/2018)

By pruiz - 3 Years Ago
TheOldBuffer (4/19/2018)
The above "workaround" isn't the best idea I've seen from RL. The following is by far the easiest, simplest and works .
1/ Do not install the 7.21 update.
2/ If you've already installed it.......... uninstall and reinstall 7.2. or earlier.

I just installed the 7.21 patch. I hit the G* import problem immediately. How do I get back to 7.2? Please, can someone explain in simple terms the procedure?
MnerosNaRa (4/22/2018)

Actually we now have a temporary developer update available that does pretty much as you have requested.

With the new update you will receive a pop-up prompting you to select the correct Genesis version if 3DXchange can't correctly identify it (see below).

If anyone would like to try the new temporary update, please drop me a PM and I'll send you a link to download.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/b872c599-ec82-4e47-8add-b54d.png

By pruiz - 3 Years Ago
Peter (RL) (4/20/2018)
davidcaputokeene (4/20/2018)

I just installed the 7.21 patch. I hit the G* import problem immediately. How do I get back to 7.2? Please, can someone explain in simple terms the procedure?

Can you explain more about the problems you have encountered? Did the workaround not help you?

I have not tried the workaround as (1) I don't have any of these hidden facets stuff and (2)  I cannot import any G8 characters into 3dx - even ones that used to import fine with 7.2. The figure imports and brings the textured background with it which never used to happen. When it imports it doesn't show pause and the long message panel that used to be there saying "3dX has recognized etc. blah blah" - and when I convert to non-standard it opens with the active box unchecked - and convert greyed out.

How do I get back to 7.2?
By pruiz - 3 Years Ago
Peter, Thank you for the download link. It seems to work fine with G8 - fixes the T-pose issue - so no need to rotate limbs and all the facial expression data in correct place - no need even to assign eyelids to blink. Thank you again for your assistance and help. pruiz.
By larryjbiz - 3 Years Ago
For most of the problems I have had with the chest, it has usually been moving just one bone designation.

I choose the Daz profile. And then I use the arrow key to open up the bone for spine.
The bone section I want to change is located the 2nd notch up. I want the very bottom.  I click on the bottom bone section and assign it to y shape bone on the character above the hip.  
I know I'm not stating it very well, I'll post some pics when I get home if you haven't already got a fix.

Thanks
By pruiz - 3 Years Ago
I just completely un-installed 3dx 7.21 and reinstalled 7.0 and the export of previous .fbx files (G8) and new ones I made that were not importing into 3dx as recognized g8 characters now works again just fine. I am overall quite pleased with RA and this suite of products but introducing a completely untested release that plain destroys the main function I use for character creation (i.e. Daz Studio) is a new experience for me.
Peter (RL) (4/20/2018)

Can you explain more about the problems you have encountered? Did the workaround not help you?

How do I get back to 7.2?

pruiz (4/29/2018)
Peter, Thank you for the download link. It seems to work fine with G8 - fixes the T-pose issue - so no need to rotate limbs and all the facial expression data in correct place - no need even to assign eyelids to blink. Thank you again for your assistance and help. pruiz.

Thank you for the feedback Pruiz. We appreciate you taking the time to try this for us. Smile
By larryjbiz - 3 Years Ago
You also may need to put the body manually into a T-posehttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/63f75801-8ddd-4b3e-a76b-a2e0.png
I had to do that with this guy... The arms didn't go completely up into T pose...I manually adjusted them

By Dr. Nemesis - 3 Years Ago
Thanks to the guys working on this, and thanks for communicating your progress and the workarounds. Unfortunately TheOldBuffer is right, the proposed work around isn't best. At least not for me.
I intentionally hide model parts. Unhiding them for import is just undoing my own work, especially if I now have to make opacity maps to rehide the problem bodyparts once I'm in Iclone. Too time consuming for 30+ character models.

Face Count is an objectively bad way determine what Genesis generation is being imported.
For what it's worth, rather than using polycount, here are ways that I'd personally prefer:

1. As a workaround, I'd rather temporarily remove the offending characterization profile (I never import Genesis 8 so this is an easy solution for me but if you often import both 3 and 8, it wouldn't be for you). Or...
2. If 3DX gets confused have a dialogue box at import time that allows the user to specify whether it's Gen 3 or 8 as the user should know what the model is. Or...
3. Have it so we can manually initiate this whole process and specify the character's origin from a list.

Again thanks for your workaround but as is, it's a better use of my time to stay on 7.0 rather than do the workaround and enjoy the 7.21 enhancements.
By Dr. Nemesis - 3 Years Ago
Importing a new batch of characters today. The developer update seems to be working fine as far as I've tested. Thanks for this, as the prospect of waiting four more months was demoralizing.
I'm now benefiting from some of the updates (and fixes) of 7.21. Thanks everyone.
By SpaceCore - 3 Years Ago
Thank you! I will give it a shot now and post an update if I ever smartened up    :-)
By charleshoover885 - 3 Years Ago
I am with TheOldBuffer and Dr. Nemesis on this. I have far too much invested in DAZ characters to even consider going backwards to "try" a workaround.  I am disappointed that I can't take advantage of the new features and enhancements of 7.21 but I can't loose the functionality of my library of Genesis 3 (and less Genesis 8) characters.

If RA can't fix the "auto" convert I would accept checking a box to identify Genesis 3 and Genesis 8 characters in 3Dxchange. You have to do that anyway in DS to apply the correct DUF.

So I am staying on 7.2.

Charles
The developers update is super stable and works flawlessly, so far, and it loads up super quick. 
Well done RL.

By toystorylab - 3 Years Ago
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/0bc633c4-589d-4d31-a9c7-476e.png

Buddy Bot works but i had to cheat a bit:
(i'm not an expert, there is probably a workaround that is more elegant, but it works)
Buddy Bot is quite BIG, so i had to make more pix to show the rig...

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/cb62b989-a858-44b5-addb-717f.png
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/4709c734-05c5-456e-aa53-9656.png
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/79060148-fb63-4da4-b987-b517.png
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ad9655e7-c367-42e3-8b7a-e3c2.png
I had to use the shoulder here instead of his upper arm...
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/0338fde5-c569-40f9-bc1b-5885.png
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/3f08f5a3-2b52-458e-b5b8-80d2.png
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/70ad8e24-f017-4034-a22e-f0e0.png

Scrappy is quite easy, use "DAZ 4 genesis" AND lower the second green (red dot) to the green one under it and click the chest rig...

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/5798e5f1-101a-4135-aa26-7299.png

Hope that helped...

Here you can see Buddy Bot in action BigGrin

Workaround for the Failure to Auto-convert Daz Genesis Characters
By ian_11 - 3 Years Ago
This really sucks Reallustion please fix this no horrible workarounds! 
Snarp Farkle (5/1/2018)
At first I didn't have any problems with either G3 or G8 characters in 3DXchange, but now I can't get any of them to import into 3dXchange using the auto conversion if they're wearing clothes!  I can import the same character without clothes or hair and the auto conversion works fine!  So this might be more of a problem with different clothing items instead of the character's duf files. 

I'll have to try the workaround to see if it corrects this issue for me.

Hi Snarp. PM Peter for the link to the new developer 3dx7, it works fine and has an option to select which Genesis generation you are importing. 
By TonyDPrime - 3 Years Ago
I just want to say again THANK YOU for the development of the Daz Genesis conversion features.  I know with future patches and the Iray part the whole package is going to be awesome. 
Thanks for the workaround in the meantime.  Enjoying the features very much.
dh93 (4/26/2018)
Hi Peter,
  I would like receive the developer update.  Thx
Darryl 

Hi Darryl... I have sent you the link by PM. Thanks for giving it a try. Do let us know how you get on with it. Smile

Could anyone advise on what I am doing incorrectly here? I have two robots that I purchased from Daz (links to packs below) and when converting in the updated version of 3dxchange, the torso separates from the body and the Daz T-Pose in the Reallusion folder does not apply. Can anyone offer any suggestion on what is going on? I am sure it must be operator error. 

https://www.daz3d.com/buddy-bot
https://www.daz3d.com/scrappy-the-robot

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/a248e216-f37a-443a-bfcf-8744.png
By pruiz - 3 Years Ago
charleshoover885 (4/21/2018)
I am with TheOldBuffer and Dr. Nemesis on this. I have far too much invested in DAZ characters to even consider going backwards to "try" a workaround.  I am disappointed that I can't take advantage of the new features and enhancements of 7.21 but I can't loose the functionality of my library of Genesis 3 (and less Genesis 8) characters.

If RA can't fix the "auto" convert I would accept checking a box to identify Genesis 3 and Genesis 8 characters in 3Dxchange. You have to do that anyway in DS to apply the correct DUF.

So I am staying on 7.2.

Charles

Workaround deal is rubbish for people that use Daz Studio as the character generator. I reverted to 7.0. Is there much benefit to to 7.2?

By Snarp Farkle - 3 Years Ago
At first I didn't have any problems with either G3 or G8 characters in 3DXchange, but now I can't get any of them to import into 3dXchange using the auto conversion if they're wearing clothes!  I can import the same character without clothes or hair and the auto conversion works fine!  So this might be more of a problem with different clothing items instead of the character's duf files. 

I'll have to try the workaround to see if it corrects this issue for me.
That is awesome! Thank you! I did get Buddy Bot and Scrappy both imported finally (although Buddy Bots finger bending is bizarre).  On your Scrappy... Were you able to import him with his facial morphs and poses?  I have watched a half dozen tutorials and still not seeing anything that helps with getting the morphs into iClone as the Daz resource key does not seem to work for the bots either
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/83007e36-ccb5-453f-8d89-9eb5.png

By dh93 - 3 Years Ago
Hi Peter,
  I would like receive the developer update.  Thx
Darryl