Idle Sitting (seated) MOTIONS

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic360458.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By sonic7 - 6 Years Ago

Hi ....
Can anyone give me a heads up on aquiring various 'idle' sitting (audience) motions - I need heaps of these various motions.
(Crossing legs, folding arms, minor fidgiding etc)
I'd buy, but due to the quantity needed, (and all being all the same "type" of motion) - I'd break my budget....
BTW - I tried downloading freebies from Mixamo, but 3DXchange 'complained' that they weren't fbx 2011 or prior ???
Am I doing something wrong here? Maybe there's a work around?
Thnx.
By Kelleytoons - 6 Years Ago
You might want to do a search here for Mixamo, because you should be able to import all those motions (and fairly easily).

That will give you a good start, and each of those motions can be custom tailored inside of Mixamo (with various rhythm and other parms that can make them unique to each other).  Of course, if I were doing this I'd just use Anima but given your budget that probably isn't a consideration (but if it is you might well consider it, as it's kind of designed for that sort of thing).
By sonic7 - 6 Years Ago

Yeah - thanks Kelly.
I got Mixamo motions to work properly in the end. (had to ignore that message about 2011 or earlier Version fbx).
(Had to first import a model in T-Pose, followed by the model with motions attached).
There wasn't a lot of files availble for 'idle sitting' motions tho.
I may be reinventing the wheel here; I'm sure there's easier ways to approach this.
The main requirement is "diversity" of movements - trying to avoid any repeated or cloned actions.
The "audience" of several hundred Circus goers are distant in the frame, so I'm probably getting pedantic.(I'm still learning this stuff).
Wish I could oprarate iClone like WarLord can ....
And you don't have any mocap, I assume?

It's too bad because this is the kind of thing even the pitiful RL Kinect plugin does well (sitting down motions -- it can't do almost anything else).  You could easily just record yourself for 20 minutes and then cutting and pasting get a real diversity.  Heck, if I feel like maybe I'll do this for you today (I'm driving my wife to work since one of our vehicles won't start -- sigh -- so I'm awake and alert much earlier than usual :>Wink.  Maybe just giving you a 20 minute BVH or iMotions file would allow you to edit what you wanted (and then you could share with others -- pay it forward).

I'll see how my morning goes (kind of hate these dark mornings but that's DST for you).
By sonic7 - 6 Years Ago

Hey Kelly!
That's mighty thoughtful of you .....
Well, like you say, see how your morning goes .....
But that's a really terrific offer. Yeah - using a mocap was on my mind (I wish! Smile).
Steve .....
By thebiz.movies - 6 Years Ago
Hi, I have recently needed to do a four minute scene of dialog for two characters seated at a table.  To get seated motions I resorted to two techniques.

Use reach targets for the hips and feet - this will keep the character mostly seated while allowing the upper body to do its thing regardless of the motion.

Use the motion puppet and mask out the hips and legs.  As an added bonus some awesome forum member created a motion puppet editor that allows you to add other motions to the puppet and allwos you to use the masking technique on any motion.  I cant find the link right now but perhaps someone else can help with the link.  Ill look for it later tonight if your interested (its here on the forum somewhere).  Really useful application.

Edit: Here it is from Roberto Columbo (https://forum.reallusion.com/307862/My-XMas-gift-for-the-whole-RL-community)
By sonic7 - 6 Years Ago

Thanks for that link to Roberto Columbo's app - looks interesting!
I'll give it a whirl ....
Thanks heaps for posting that!
By sonic7 - 6 Years Ago

Yeah ..... well ....... I read the 'instructions' (manual) for this - it's all very detailed - but my left hemisphere technical brain started emitting smoke. w00t
It's my right hemisphere creative side I'd rather use - 
There's got to be an easier way to (dare I say) 'have fun' creating character movement.
I'd rather be the artist than the technician - but the very technology that empowers this ART has also a habit of getting in the way......
Imagine if a tradesman had to "calculate" his hammer's trajectory every time he was to hammer in a nail !!!!
No he doesn't - he just 'wields' the hammer (it's second nature) - no need to be 'conscious' of the process .....
Maybe I'm getting too old ..... Crying
By wires - 6 Years Ago
sonicthehedgehog_24 (3/20/2018)
Yeah ..... well ....... I read the 'instructions' (manual) for this - it's all very detailed - but my left hemisphere technical brain started emitting smoke. w00t
It's my right hemisphere creative side I'd rather use - 
There's got to be an easier way to (dare I say) 'have fun' creating character movement.
I'd rather be the artist than the technician - but the very technology that empowers this ART has also a habit of getting in the way......
Imagine if a tradesman had to "calculate" his hammer's trajectory every time he was to hammer in a nail !!!!
No he doesn't - he just 'wields' the hammer (it's second nature) - no need to be 'conscious' of the process .....
Maybe I'm getting too old ..... Crying

One must remember that sometimes wielded hammers tend to attempt to cushion the impact by first making contact with the fingers. w00tHeheLaugh
By sonic7 - 6 Years Ago

Yes - sounds rather painful Gerry.
Oh for a mocap ! - I'll have to start saving my pennies ..... Tongue
By wires - 6 Years Ago
Have you looked at the Theater Crowd made by Warlord? These are low poly and may reduce the brain smoke. He has several other collections of Peeps on offer.
By sonic7 - 6 Years Ago

I have Gerry, thanks....
Like I say, I'm probably re-inventing the wheel - but being so new to this, I'm not sure how such packs will work for my particular project.
They may well be totally suitable / adaptable, but I lack the courage to spend even small - when I'm floundering with the newness of all this.
Sounds counterintuitive I know - not spending a few bucks to make life easier for myself. (I'll get there, just need to build my confidence in things).
It's just that everything is a bit overwhelming at first - even tho iClone no doubt makes the workload heaps easier compared with the fully fledged animation programs that have huge learning curves. 
BTW - I've a lot of respect for Warlord's knowledge/experience/abilities. Would be great to find my way around iClone like he does.
I probably just have to go through these birth pains .... No pain, no gain ....
By thebiz.movies - 6 Years Ago
Being new at this I would suggest this.  Pose your character into a seated position using the edit motion layer tool.
Then use the body puppeteer to add motions and the mask to remove the hips and legs from the motion (dont worry about the linked app for now...just use the canned motions).  

Use the free tools before you go searching for the pay set.

Direct Puppet - (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viZh7kT7tfg
Body Puppet - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExPAnWfPa0c
By sonic7 - 6 Years Ago

@thebiz.movies
..... thank you for that advice ...... appreciate it  Smile
Okay, I made a little clip which you are free to do with what you want (including ignoring it).

In doing so I learned a couple of things:

1) I'm no actor.  I've always been writer/director, but as a director I've had to show my actors how to perform.  And, of course, performed myself in various plays, movies and television work over the years.  Sigh -- either I've forgotten everything I once knew, or I'm just devoid of ideas.  I sat there and couldn't think of anything to do, really.  Where was my motivation?  A Circus?  They don't even have those anymore (thank God).  And I'm not really young enough to understand how to use a cell phone during a performance of anything, so I couldn't do that very well.  I guess my limitations are really showing.

2) Don't try and do this during a thunderstorm.  I got power outed three times before I finally got *something* and as a result I didn't do nearly as much as I wanted (because every time it happened I had to start all over again, and the last time I cut it short after a minute or two because I was afraid I'd get dumped again).  So -- hopefully at least you can use *some* of it or it will give you ideas for other things.

3) I can't do a women (see #1).  I can't cross my legs like that, not even close, or even act like one.  So another limitation.  Sigh.

https://mega.nz/#!omhAHRba!mmC1V9d1twYGyXTIrgRBo3pi-5WPmI2BRPF-YColkIg
By sonic7 - 6 Years Ago

Hey Kelly !!!
Thank you so much for that iMotion file!
Great stuff. Nearly 6,000 frames according to the time-line - that'll give me plenty of options for editing.
I thought the balance between 'movement' and 'non movement' was spot on.
Your comment: ".... Don't try to do this during a thunderstorm ..... " cracked me up Tongue
Sorry it was thwart with such danger .... Crying
This is great stuff Kelly - thanks again ...
(Got to out now - will play with it when I get back)....
Steve.