Can Reallusion beef up the Forum Server

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic352633.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By alexch2441 - 6 Years Ago
Hello: 
I am a newbie for Reallusion's animation world. I tried to learn things from the forum, but I found that the speed of the forum is very slow. For example, when I try to post this new topic, it takes 7 seconds to respond. Almost every page I click, it was not responsive for 5 seconds. The webpage download at my place is pretty fast. So I guess it might be the server's bandwidth issue. Do other members feel the same? 
AX
By TopOneTone - 6 Years Ago
My internet service is absolutely awful, but I can't say I have experienced the problems you describe and in all the years I have been on this forum, I can't recall similar comments from anyone else. It sounds like the issue may be in your setup or service provider. Sorry can't be more helpful, good luck with resolving it.
Cheers,
Tony
By Kelleytoons - 6 Years Ago
I have fast internet (fastest money can buy) and, yes, this forum is slow.  It's not as slow for me as you describe, but compared to my own forum and any others I frequent, it's at least twice as slow (and sometimes MUCH slower).

Don't know what the issue is, though -- might not be a server problem but rather the software used.  Hard to say.
By justaviking - 6 Years Ago
Although the forum has had issues from time-to-time, generally speaking I find the forum performance to be fine.
By animagic - 6 Years Ago
We have had occasional server problems with the forum, but it's OK now.
By garylearntech - 6 Years Ago
I find the time to load a new post/page varies mostly from bad to awful and has for a long time - and I have a very, very fast cable connection here at home in the UK.  It's probably 'uncommon' that I find forum browsing snappy.

I've just done some simple testing (I won't bore you with the methodology just now) and found that a page I'd opened earlier and was reopening initially took about ten seconds to reload/reopen that same page (which is extreme, even for my observations).  Then, when repeated again, two seconds, then four seconds, then four seconds again.  (This was a page with a single text-only post, ie no additional embedded graphics from the poster.)

To be fair, sometimes new posts/pages do load fast - but there is definitely huge room for improvement in the  forum server's responsiveness.
By 《/^\》 - 6 Years Ago
Yes, the forum is slow, server response time is an issue, html + js can be compressed & I'm not sure if a caching service is being used, I don't think so.
By Mr Rob - 6 Years Ago
Agreed. It’s so painfully slow. On my iPhone and MacBook Pro with super fast fibre broadband 40mb.

I rarely use this forum due to the painfully slow speed and end up getting all my info from YouTube.

Shame. I have to say it but slow server or forum software tends to make the company appear seem somewhat amateurish and give a bad impression.
They use third-party software that is used elsewhere as well:

Powered by InstantForum 2014-1 Final © 2018
Execution: 0.000. 4 queries. Compression Enabled.

So it may be a server problem. That has happened before.
By Rogue Anime - 6 Years Ago
For some reason, the forum does seem slower than usual. We have the fastest connection ever here, so I suppose their membership is growing faster than their service?  ~V~
And oddly (coincidentally) at the moment it seems faster than it ever has been.  Who knows about these things?
By argus1000 - 6 Years Ago
I've always felt that the Reallusion server was slow.
By TopOneTone - 6 Years Ago

I thought it was weird that people are complaining about the slowness of the forum and despite having really poor internet service I don't seem to have the same issues. I just made an interesting discovery - most of the time I view the forum on my ipad and while it is not instant, there is only a very short delay. I just opened this topic on my PC and it took at least 4 times longer to load....anyway I thought it was interesting to note.
Cheers,
Tony 

I think overzealous anti-virus software may add to delays...Unsure
By Rogue Anime - 6 Years Ago
animagic (1/6/2018)
I think overzealous anti-virus software may add to delays...Unsure

HAH! You may have hit the proverbial nail with that one, Animagic. That is the most likely culprit here - noticed this morning when I looked @ the forum on my phone for the 1st time - it was lightning fast then!  ~V~

I'd be curious to know what folks think this forum is NOT slow at most times -- because it may relate to where it's hosted and how those folks access it.

Since the very beginning I've categorized this forum as "sluggish" at best.  There are times (this morning is one of them) when it's as fast as anything, but that's the exception that proves the rule.  Most of the time anytime I click to reply, or search, or even just open it up it is decidedly less than speedy, making me wait either a short period or a REALLY long period, but in any case much longer than any other forum I frequent or administer.  I just think the forum software itself is to blame, because that's what it feels like to me, but it may be related to where they host and where folks are that access it (I'm in Florida).

I don't think a "server beefing" would help -- but changing forum software is anything but a trivial task and probably will never happen in my lifetime.
By Postfrosch - 6 Years Ago
I don't think a "server beefing" would help -- but changing forum software is anything but a trivial task and probably will never happen in my lifetime.                               

The forum software was renewed 3 years ago.
I do not think so fast a new one will come
For the rest, the forum works fast enough.
Open - write, etc. is synonymous not slower or faster than other forums I use (100MBit connection)
However, there have been server problems (at the moment I can not find any)
Greets from Germany
postfrosch
By RB3006 - 6 Years Ago
It´s also a question of browser (you use). Firefox is veeeery slow, Edge works much faster.
Think, the forum software it´s optimized for Edge or Chrome.
Shouldn't be browser dependent -- most forums (and web sites, for that matter) aren't.

But I use Chrome and at times it's painfully slow, so I don't think it's the browser (and Edge...well, the less said about MS's disastrous browsers the better).
By raxel_67 - 6 Years Ago
It is slow regardless of browser, device, av, or even os, it is sluggish in edge and firefox, don't use chrome because i don't like spyware. Tested it on my phone but all mobile browsers suck big time. Also tested the forums with several OSes, mainly win 10, fedora and linux mint and it is sluggish, so it isn't us, it is either server bandwidth or the server software
By alexch2441 - 6 Years Ago
It's good to know other users feeling the same thing I felt. I am using Mac 10.11 version and Chrome browser. So it should not be from the cause of an over-zealous antivirus. Maybe the server admin knows what can be the potential culprit. Why not making a survey checking what OS we are using, what browser, whether we use antivirus software, where do we log in from, which ISP, that type of broadband users have, and whether this forum speed is slower than other sites they visit. This type of poll probably will provide a great diagnosis for this Forum. 

Today, the speed of the forum is faster, but it's still slow in my perspective.

Alex. 
By 《/^\》 - 6 Years Ago
Server software is built on Windows IIS 8
https://builtwith.com/?https%3a%2f%2fforum.reallusion.com

My guestimation is the heavy Ajax requests on every page
《/^\》 (1/7/2018)
Server software is built on Windows IIS 8
https://builtwith.com/?https%3a%2f%2fforum.reallusion.com

My guestimation is the heavy Ajax requests on every page

What a fun website. I looked up my own domains (I use a provider) and apparently they run on Apache.
By 《/^\》 - 6 Years Ago
animagic (1/14/2018)
What a fun website. I looked up my own domains (I use a provider) and apparently they run on Apache.

Yes, it can be interesting to see what some websites are built with 😃