GSU Student Profile Entry #1 [JoeL]

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic347008.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By ExE Production - 7 Years Ago
, RealLusion forums! My name is Joel, I am freshman at Georgia State University! I'm posting here due to the newest building on my campus The Creative Media Industries Institute (CMII). In this building is one of reallusion best teachers James Martin! I was given the oppurtuinty to post my current projects and work that I'm am working on here so I could get, critisim, advice, and tips to improve my content. I've been working in the 3d world for a few months now and I have to say that it has been a great experience! I started all my work out of Unreal Engine and the Autodesk products. Everything was great until I ran across the actor part of my projects. I didn't know where to go. I was searching the web for many solutions to my problem but I couldn't find one. That was until I came across the CMII. There I was shown iClone and I was blown out the water. I never knew software like this existed. From the Character creator all the way over to the Crazytalk! I was In love with iClone, I went out to the stuff and bought iClone shirts, I got an iClone car, and watched "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" all over again on Netflix(Just kidding). But, it was a turning point. Me being a gamer and having used character creators all the time practical trained me for this. And I say practical because this is very in-depth. So, lets delve into the profile entry? One day while I was on the computer making a scene I was reminded that I needed to make a public speaking topic on a how to? At first I thought it was a lost cause i'd probably the class how to convert a .jpeg to a .pdf. But, I knew that would be lame no one would want to do that. Then came my friend. ( i'll put this in dialogue forum)

Friend: "Hey what's up Joel!"
Me:" Hey there, just trying to think of what I'm going to present for class in a few weeks. I'm pretty stumped on what to do."
Friend: "Why don't you just show they what you doing now?"

Boom... The answer was right in front of me. The next day I told my teacher I was going to show the class how to use iClone and Unreal! So I started off with a blank template in Unreal and began to work with that! ( Since my files are so big I'm going to use a text link to link to the gifs on imgur!)
Part1
The level building took about 20-30 mins to build longer than I'm used to but the theme that I had was new to me (Spooky). Overall it was fun to switch up my work flow. 
The next part was the asset building . Now in premire I must have don't something wrong with the compressing because it 1.1gb so I'll either upload that to YouTube or try to recompress it. It must likely due to the fact that I had exported on the highest possible resolution. ditto(this was about 1-2 hours of work)
Video Creation Link
After the level building I start to going into make the main character. This in my opinion is very important. Because if that character doesn't fit in the scene it can make the character lose vaule and the overall project lose value. Since it was spooky I went for a innocent looking girl but, with a little bit of evil intentions in her look/ animations. Below is me making the model and clothing her. 

Modeling

Clothing
After I had made the look of the character is was time to give her life. Now this is was my first time working with animations in iClone 7. keep in mind I am a rough start beginner but I am a fast learner as well. So something reallllllllyyyy cool that I found out was that iClone has a cloth and hair PhsyX. I was this close to rebuilding the unreal engine to get these effects.

PshyX Clothing
Since I had some experience with key framing I got to understand how the sliders and key framing works in iClone. Soon I was make the animations I was looking for in the project. 
Animations
After all of that, some effects and sounds in Adobe After Effects and premiere I got to this! 

Final Video

As you might have seen her dress is textured really weirdly. As stated before I A m still learning the iClone program if anyone has any solution on how I could possible fix that that would be cool! 
Alright, this concludes this Entry. I will be posting weekly so keep your eye out! I'm currently working on a big project called " Sword of the Stars: Blades of Sol" I'll be posting many updates about that in the future. Thanks for reading! 

Edited: Add the Video Link.
By Delerna - 7 Years Ago

Read your text (at work/lunch now) and will be checking out your video's tonight.
I enjoy watching other peoples workflow methods, maybe I will pick up an idea or two from you
Welcome to iClone.

By ExE Production - 7 Years Ago
Thank you! I'm looking forward to my time here!
By Kelleytoons - 7 Years Ago
I'm not sure, Joel, what you are looking for here -- just to show off, or to get some advice or help, or just enjoy the general forum ambience, but if for any reason you would like some feedback I'll provide some and then you can further enlighten us on what your goal for this place is.

Clearly you have some skills in 3D, and a good eye, and I will be interested to see how you use those talents in doing character animation.  Stories are all about characterization (although many here will disagree with me -- but when 99% of everything ever written, done on stage, television or the movie screen is about people, it's hard to argue with).  You've certainly come to the right software, as iClone is nothing if it's not about doing character animation.  I've seen a ton of pretty pictures that don't tell a story, so it will be interesting to see how you proceed and what stories you will tell in your journey towards understand animation and the craft of making compelling things for people to enjoy.

By mark - 7 Years Ago
It's great to have you here! BigGrin  And I'm thinking there's a lot you can learn from the folks around here.Wink

Some basic stuff...
Work on lighting! It is a visual medium after all. Without it, the world's a radio-show!  iClone is capable of amazing lighting now!
The camera doesn't ALWAYS have to be moving!
And it's good to have a story or a point once and awhile..Wink

I'm sure these are things you already know.Smile  But stick around!!Tongue