WALTER PINHEAD'S CHRISTMAS PROJECT 2017 " Make Him Sing His Favourite Christmas Song."

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic346563.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Gerskey - 7 Years Ago

Pinhead's Christmas Video 2017

Make him sing his favourite  "Christmas Song!"

Please use any Iclone or Crazytalk or Animator and good luck!

There will be prizes given by me and by Reallusion before Christmas.

Deadline date

11th DEC.

Entries after this date

WILL NOT BE ENTERED

Peace

Gerskey
By animagic - 7 Years Ago
I was afraid of that...Crazy

It's just like in the stores: we've just recovered from Halloween and now Xmas stuff is already showing up!

No promises, but I'll see what I can come up with...Unsure
By Gerskey - 7 Years Ago
Laugh I want to keep Pinhead thread going animagic,
even, so close to Halloween.
I'll say this once.Pinhead projects and competitions got me into Iclone.
I just felt, I didn't want to loose Pinhead.
What I am doing and saying is that you can do it too, for any Pinhead project now.
YOU CAN.
I hope, others feel the same xox.
Peace
Gerskey xox.

By colour - 7 Years Ago
I've done a Pinhead Xmas & New Year clip every year since 2006, Gerard, using Pinnacle Studio NLE Video Editing  & AnimationFactory.Progs.

So, count me in..
By Kelleytoons - 7 Years Ago
So I'm kinda dumb (never really followed any of these threads) but "Pinhead" is a character available somewhere?  

If it were a character I could animate with FW I would give it a shot, but I'm guessing this is an older character long before all the great facial animation stuff was put in.
By Postfrosch - 7 Years Ago
Here you can download Pinhead as CC
https://city.reallusion.com/ContentPreview.aspx?i=JICc3a100862cdbaa924
This Avatar is from Animagic (2015)
Greats from Germany
Postfrosch

Yeah, as I thought, a bit too old a character for me to really have fun with in Faceware.

But I hope everyone else enjoys!
He's easily upgraded to the latest CC version. So I will do that and report here and then there will be no excuses...Tongue
Well -- by "upgrading" don't you mean just reloading him in?  There won't be all the extra morphs we now have with the characters to take the full advantage of the FW stuff, right?

I'm not particularly interested in working with any characters that don't have those morphs -- it's hard enough to try and get the workflow down with the new stuff to worry about those things that can't look as good.  But -- that's just me.  Don't worry if I'm not involved (my stupid little efforts are just that -- I haven't done anything really serious yet, although for this I would probably try some more karaoke).
There won't be all the extra morphs we now have with the characters to take the full advantage of the FW stuff, right?
I'm not particularly interested in working with any characters that don't have those morph

I have a question:
Which avatars do you think you need these new morphs that you so desperately need ??
Greets from Germany
Postfrosch
By Rampa - 7 Years Ago
Any character that has facial morphs or bones that adhere to the iClone rig will work. This includes DAZ, and any others you may import. The rig can drive either morphs or bones. So if your character's face can be animated in the face puppet, it can also work with Faceware.

So the existing Pinhead from Animagic probably already works pretty well.
So I was wrong when I got it in my head that RL redesigned their standard avatars for specialized muscle morph (and perhaps bones) to take advantage of FW?  I could have SWORN I read that, and that was why bringing in even Daz stuff will be missing those.

But I'm an old man and if I've misremembered something it won't be the first.  I'll go back when I have the time and see if I can find what the hell I was thinking of (because I doubt that I was dreaming -- perhaps I misinterpreted it, but I know I read it).
As I said -- I don't want to belabor this because, while I'd like to participate, my own participation in this isn't important one way or the other.  

But I wasn't mistaken:  From RL's own webpage:

The amount of facial morphs has now increased from 30 to 60, giving you unmatched facial precision for mouth, cheek, eye, and other facial feature animation. iClone 7 facial architecture meets professional face tracking specifications, opening a new door for real-time facial mocap!
By justaviking - 7 Years Ago
Ah, so maybe you were both right?
The older 30-morph ones may still work,
but the 60-morph ones give better ("unmatched") results.
I think it's quicker for me just to update Pinhead? Unsure Only the best will do for Walter...Tongue

Obviously that's what I meant in the first place. 60 morphs, he shall have. Just give me some time.
By GrannyJ - 7 Years Ago
oh boy, @animagic is gonna give good old Walter P a "tune-up"  LOLOL.....
I'm in, I love good ole Pinhead....
Hey @anmagic, I can give you Gretchen if you want to tune her up as well.... LOLOL
Wow, this sounds great.  Smile

I will have to try and create my own project this time.  Wink
Hmm... Pinhead... Christmas... Santa...  hmmmm.....
By Tarampa Studios - 7 Years Ago
Throwing in my 2 cents on the Faceware issue and to defend the old Pinhead and RL's "old" morph system, I must first confess that I'm normally a lurker here.
The skill and teamwork of the founding members is nothing less than awe inspiring every year. So much so, I haven't felt anywhere near capable or confident enough to contribute to the special pinhead events yet...

BUTTT, to remain completely honest, I haven't seen any faceware samples that can achieve a better result in less time than the old one-click expressions from iC5 (the ones that nearly nobody ever seemed to know about or use), and in less time than it takes to stick a camera on your head, let alone record, load, calibrate etc. Faceware also has the added challenge of pinched lips, minimal expressiveness and motion jerkiness which most characters seem to suffer in a way that the iC facial expressions don't... (by which I mean both iC expression sets for either speaking or non-speaking expressions, which can be found on opposite sides of the old UI)...

and it also seems that the time needed to tweak *any* facial motions on the timeline (and either via faceware or iC's facial puppet) are all about the same.

So I'd personally LOVE to see an updated version of Mr Head for the faceware users to give it their best shot, and I'll gladly volunteer for team "kickin it old school", if they'll have me. 

However, it wouldn't be for the purposes of "rubbishing" the new Faceware. Far from it. I'm sure it'll be fantastic in the hands of those who can afford it as well as the time to upskill with it. 

I just believe it is worth proving and defending how good Reallusion has been for such a very, very long time in providing very cheap, (yet exceedingly excellent quality) tools for indies that have been under-rated and under-utilised for far too long, because many of the new Faceware users seem to be quite unfairly "looking down" upon the old characters as if they are inferior... which is true technically-speaking, but arguably not true in terms of affordability and efficiency.

And don't we all love to see a drag race between the latest Ferrari in the hands of a newbie versus an old hot rod in experienced hands? 
hahaha

Just to offer a dissenting opinion, I've never seen anything done prior to Faceware that was worth looking at (in terms of facial animation).  Oh, I've seen a LOT of things, but they always looked amateurish and not at all anything I'm interested in doing.

By contrast, the things I've done so far, while a LONG ways away from where I'll get to, are exactly what I had in mind when the Faceware stuff was first announced.  

I suspect a lot of it is what your expectations are and what your style is -- I think you can do a very convincing toon style with early iClone, but beyond that nothing I've ever seen done (even non-character animation) that tells any story holds my interest (with the possible exception of the Thunderbirds one -- but that's very unique in that the style itself lends well to cartoonish animation).  But to each their own.
To put everything in perspective: the updated Pinhead is useful for both manual and Faceware animation. The facial morphs are based on 3DTest's work with Character Creator (the AFP system), which has now been fully integrated in IC7 and CC2.0. The facial key frame system is a joy to work with for those who want to do it by hand. I do both and the manual method is definitely more rewarding compared to IC5.

In defense of Faceware I would like to point out that it just came out, so we are all learning. I also think it not particularly relevant how fast things can be done, but if the final end result is satisfactory. 

Another consideration: without Faceware we might not have seen the same quality improvement of the facial rig.

It also depends on the style of your animation. I'm sort of in the semi-realistic camp, and what I really found inspiring is LA Noire. There are play-throughs on YouTube, and what struck me were the facial expressions of the characters. That would have been hard to achieve with iClone, until now.
The updated Pinhead character can be obtained here: https://city.reallusion.com/ContentPreview.aspx?i=JICbacdaeeeb0cee5c31&g=.

For some reason, the page now says that it is derivative content that requires the Essential Morph and Skin pack. I don't quite understand why that is. The original was "clean" in that regard. I assume every body interested will have the pack...Unsure
Wow, Animagic, that was quick work.  Thank you.  I look forward to taking the updated Pinhead out to play.

Yeah, strange that it now seems tied to the Essentials package.  Hopefully that won't be an entry barrier for anyone.
By toystorylab - 7 Years Ago
animagic (11/5/2017)
The updated Pinhead character can be obtained here: https://city.reallusion.com/ContentPreview.aspx?i=JICbacdaeeeb0cee5c31&g=.

For some reason, the page now says that it is derivative content that requires the Essential Morph and Skin pack. I don't quite understand why that is. The original was "clean" in that regard. I assume every body interested will have the pack...Unsure

Seems a few devs hasle with this, seen in this thread:
https://forum.reallusion.com/276162/Removing-Esssential-Morph-Data
there is a kinda "automatism", adding this derivative content-thing...
Anyway, thanx for doing the upgrade!

Thanks, toystorylab, that may be my problem as well. Weird thing is that the original doesn't have any morphs of the pack used. I will try the suggestions in the thread.
OK, so the Current Morphs list mentioned Eyes Up-Down, which is from the pack (I think) and which I didn't touch, Base Male, and Pinhead, which is the morph I created from the previous one to transfer his features. Anyway, if I select to edit the iAvatar version in CC, the morphs no longer appear. Bizarre!
Pinhead is happy to announce that he is now in Sketchfab: https://skfb.ly/6u66o.

I could export without any DRM issues, so I believe the warnings in the MarketPlace are "fake".

I also added some new pictures and a read-me file to the product page.
@Animagic,

I downloaded your updated Pinhead, and have a hair-raising observation to share with you.

You mentioned his hair looks wrong with the PBR shader.  The underlying problem is there in the traditional shader; it's simply not as visible.  If you add a gray map to the SPECULAR channel, and then turn up the Specular setting, you will see the same facets.

I wonder if a "smooth" operation failed somewhere in the process.  Ermm

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/a94f7bd0-a71f-4cc7-ad3d-82c3.jpg

Everything else is looking good so far, and your hard work is tremendously appreciated.  I figured you'd like to know about my discovery, and it might make a learning opportunity for all of us.

Hallo Kelleytoon - look here it's from RL Site
http://manual.reallusion.com/iClone_7/ENU/Pro/Default.htm#iClone_7/Pro_7.0/08_Animation/Pro_Facial_Animation/New_Facial_Expression_System_Structure.htm%3FTocPath%3D3D%2520Facial%2520Animation%7CFacial%2520Animation%2520Tools%7CFacial%2520Animation%2520(New)%7C_____2
Handling of Compatibility

When a Character Creator (CC) 1 and a Character Creator 2 characters are imported, iClone 7 will perform an automatic conversion by supplementing insufficient expression shapes (morphs).
http://manual.reallusion.com/iClone_7/ENU/Pro/Content/iClone_7/Images/New_Facial_Expression_Structure_03.jpg
Yeah, but I think those "automatic" changes aren't really doing much more for the face, but just doing what it can with existing morphs.  Could be wrong, but I doubt it (because if so, why not just do it internally and not say anything about it?)
By colour - 7 Years Ago
"OI! Leave me alone. I prefer me as I am".

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/31be7b78-2098-489a-b32e-064e.jpg
Going from 2D to 3D was the beginning of the end, methinks...Tongue
Hi gang! 
Haha, I don't know about the beginning of the end. For me, everyday is learning something new, and Walter's adventures have been such a valuable part of that! 

Wow, I really loved the Halloween vids this year. (And last year, too actually!)...
These are sooo inspiring - not just for the great humour and technical aspects of cameras, direction, script, editing etc... but also for lighting, which I always find tricky - especially for night scenes, which are the hardest for me.  
So Halloween and Horror vids are the two most challenging - and the ones I watch many times, trying to see how you achieved your special effects and handled your point lighting and shadows. 

So for this project, I'm going to try practicing that side of things, thanks also to the collection of fabulous lessons by Mark at SmallWStudios, and this tutorial I found by Tokomotion, which also helps these old assets shine like new... although, actually, it's "glow", LOL. 
Feeling cheeky, I also entered it into the Banner of the Month forum in the middle of all those awesome game-style banners... haha

I've had an idea for some lyrics too, but for this project;

Q: Does Mr Head already have a favourite song from his early days with the founding members and his original creators? 
Or is it okay if we write our own to suit his (arguably) brave personality, where he always finds himself in trouble? LOL  

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/5c59b55e-4307-4542-934f-822a.png

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
@Bleetz,

That's an adorable picture.  I love the style.

I think you'll discover that Pinhead's favorite Christmas song, coincidentally, is the same as yours.   Wink
@JustaViking ...

RE: I think you'll discover that Pinhead's favorite Christmas song, coincidentally, is the same as yours.   Wink 

Yayyy! I knew I loved him for a reason.
He looks remarkably at home in dark lighting. 

Laugh
Bleetz, I like the atmosphere of your scene. It really depicts night.

As to the song, there I am at a loss...Unsure What is PH's favorite?
By mark - 7 Years Ago

That pic is surely gettin' me in the mood! Great job!!TongueTongue

As for Walter P's favorite song...you know he's a crooner at heart...

animagic (11/7/2017)
As to the song, there I am at a loss...Unsure What is PH's favorite?

Being serious for a moment...
I assumed the "favorite song" would be whatever the individual animator desires.
In other words, any song you want to put in your video is "Pinhead's favorite," so we are likely to have different songs in different videos.
Gerskey can confirm or correct that assumption.

By colour - 7 Years Ago
I've an idea to have Pinhead & Dobbin singing. Dobbin's a Non-Human Character (not Prop), who I guess needs to be converted to a Non-Standard Character, in 3DXChange.

I've had an initial start going through the procedures, mapping the iClone Character bones to Dobbin's bones. But can't get the red button to turn green, at 1st attempt 

That being-said. songs usually have musical accompaniment in same track. So, Chracter lipsync , syncs to the music, not the vocal.. 
Depending on the length of your song it might be easier just to hand-animate the jaw of the horse.

I don't remember if Dobbin is the standard iClone horse, but all that has is a jaw bone, called Bip01_chin.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/1bb189a3-6def-4ffc-9a9b-ca67.png

So there are no separate bones for the mouth articulation, which would be the main reason for mapping in 3DXchange.

Once you have keyed a few positions (Closed, Half-open, Open), you can then copy-and-paste those key frames as appropriate. 

The horse has no viseme track obviously, but since Pinhead is singing as well, you can use the waveform of his track as a reference.

It would mean a bit of organizing because iClone has no animation layers, but doable, I think.
Re: visemes for horse avatars... I've never done the RL free horse before, but it's certainly possible to set him up as a singer because he seems to have plenty of good mouth movement.

EDIT: Animagic beat me to replying, so I hadn't seen the spine until then, but this is exactly how the spines were for each of the horses below... I had to set up morphs and extra bones in other software to get the lip and jaw movements for the horses in the first 2 videos below... and the 3rd vid is an example of how it looks just using the method that Animagic mentioned (and I also explain below)

RE: Spine set-up... 
e.g. Here is another horse avatar which is supposed to be hyper realistic, even moreso than the RL horse (but I gave him a facial morph make-over to look a bit more toonish). This avatar has the most complicated bone structure I've ever come across - it literally has 2 complete skeletons inside it, so I haven't quite conquered it yet for the flapping mane and tail in the wind, but this short vid was just an early test of 3 styles of skeleton set-up in 3DX5 to check if the mouth and major body bones are working okay after manually setting up most of the visemes in Expression editor... - which is also why you may notice some differences in how the shoulders and hooves rotate using the same motion on each of the 3 horses... it can be a bit tricky trying to figure out which bones should be the shoulders and hands (especially in quadrupeds where their back legs aren't supposed to bend in the same direction as human knees, so the rotation of bones in 3DX can also be a bit fiddly)

Note: horses are a bit tricky to set up as a humanoid beside another character in a scene because they are just so tall. But it can be faked by sizing him down to about 1/2 to 3/4s and he'll still "look" as if he's the same size as he was as a quadruped in a previous scene, or even if you stand him up in the same scene... e.g. here is a quick test with a 1/2 size horse as a humanoid; 

I'm pretty sure the RL horse has a really easy skeleton for setting up the mouth, but even if he only opens and closes, with no additional jaw or lip motions, it's still possible to make the impression of singing. e.g. the toonish horses below have only very basic open/close and a small degree of rotational jaw (before teeth and tongue start to pop out), so in the video below I only use them as backing singers so viewers aren't really watching their mouths too closely... 

RE Music interfering with visemes. I avoid this problem in the videos by loading the music onto a prop in the scene. (I used to use the biggest or first prop in the scene list so it was always easy to find if I had to go back to the file many months later), but nowadays, I just load a primitive "plus" sign, switch it to dummy, change opacity to zero, so it's totally out of view (in the older versions of iClone... while iC7 all dummies switch automatically to zero) and re-name it "Music" so it's always easy to find and edit. 

Then the visemes for each character can be done by either;
a) adding an expression and manually adjusting the visemes for that...
    where copy-paste (or control-drag)  makes it easy for repeating choruses or words...
    and saving each new custom "expression" if you need to load it onto another character in the scene (must be the same spine e.g. Mrs Dobbie). 

OR BEST AND EASIEST: 
b) using the tts to type in the lyrics (or copy-paste them from a word document), and sliding the volume down to zero before clicking ok to add it to the scene...

Note: I get really accurate visemes if - instead of using text-to-speech- I record my own voice, and load that BUTTT, then we can't just render out the video with song, because the dummy voice track can also be heard... (unless there is a way to adjust volume in the timeline that I haven't found yet)... so doing it this way means loading all the voices and sound into the iC project (knowing it will sound like a mess), then rendering, loading it into an editor, deleting the whole sound track and then reloading just the music with pro singers. 

These tips work really well in iC5 and 6.
But sadly, manual viseme adjustments are much harder in iC7, I think, because the voice tracks can no longer be edited/broken/split/control-dragged... or if they can, it's faulty in mine.

... also, if you can find and load one of the horse motions that includes the sound of a whinney, and load that into 3DXchange with your avatar when you convert him to non-standard, then you should be able to pick up a few extra morphs for your visemes from that... it works sometimes for other quadrupeds that I've done. 

Also, looking at the RL Horse Spine, you can see he has 4 bones for his back legs, instead of 3... and with those arrangements, I usually find it's best to use the top bone (closest to hip) as the thigh, then (instead of skipping a bone), use bone 2 as the shin (even though it looks more like the thigh, it is angled to work better as a knee)... then the shin is the foot, and the ankle (fetlock) is the toe. 

Front legs (arms) are always the hardest. If you use his shoulder bones as his upper arms it can often give you more ranges of movement, but sometimes look a bit more toonish. 

And his neck... if you're going to have him standing up like a humanoid, even if it's only for leaning over a fence, then curving his neck over more, so his head looks forward properly seems to work the best (with most long-necked quadrupeds)
By Skuzzlebutt - 7 Years Ago
I just did this for fun,
it isn't a xmas song, but it could be

Re: Music interfering with visemes...

My biggest iClone project involved a lot of singing.

I used the the actual speech recording option in iClone, and tried to speak in time with the singing.  I didn't bother to sing; I merely spoke at the correct rate, and "held a note" the appropriate duration.  (Boy did that sound awkward.  Blush  But you gotta do what you gotta do.)  Sometimes the results were okay, sometimes not so good, but it was a start.  Even in the best cases, I did a lot of manual viseme editing.

I got reasonably proficient at making the adjustments (in my opinion), but due to the length of my project, and a deadline, I did not get all the songs fixed as well as I wanted to (and a couple were left in a very raw state - ouch),  But it was satisfying work.
By colour - 7 Years Ago
Bleetz (11/10/2017)
Re: visemes for horse avatars... I've never done the RL free horse before, but it's certainly possible to set him up as a singer because he seems to have plenty of good mouth movement.

EDIT: Animagic beat me to replying, so I hadn't seen the spine until then, but this is exactly how the spines were for each of the horses below... I had to set up morphs and extra bones in other software to get the lip and jaw movements for the horses in the first 2 videos below... and the 3rd vid is an example of how it looks just using the method that Animagic mentioned (and I also explain below)

RE: Spine set-up... 
e.g. Here is another horse avatar which is supposed to be hyper realistic, even moreso than the RL horse (but I gave him a facial morph make-over to look a bit more toonish). This avatar has the most complicated bone structure I've ever come across - it literally has 2 complete skeletons inside it, so I haven't quite conquered it yet for the flapping mane and tail in the wind, but this short vid was just an early test of 3 styles of skeleton set-up in 3DX5 to check if the mouth and major body bones are working okay after manually setting up most of the visemes in Expression editor... - which is also why you may notice some differences in how the shoulders and hooves rotate using the same motion on each of the 3 horses... it can be a bit tricky trying to figure out which bones should be the shoulders and hands (especially in quadrupeds where their back legs aren't supposed to bend in the same direction as human knees, so the rotation of bones in 3DX can also be a bit fiddly)

Note: horses are a bit tricky to set up as a humanoid beside another character in a scene because they are just so tall. But it can be faked by sizing him down to about 1/2 to 3/4s and he'll still "look" as if he's the same size as he was as a quadruped in a previous scene, or even if you stand him up in the same scene... e.g. here is a quick test with a 1/2 size horse as a humanoid; 

I'm pretty sure the RL horse has a really easy skeleton for setting up the mouth, but even if he only opens and closes, with no additional jaw or lip motions, it's still possible to make the impression of singing. e.g. the toonish horses below have only very basic open/close and a small degree of rotational jaw (before teeth and tongue start to pop out), so in the video below I only use them as backing singers so viewers aren't really watching their mouths too closely... 

RE Music interfering with visemes. I avoid this problem in the videos by loading the music onto a prop in the scene. (I used to use the biggest or first prop in the scene list so it was always easy to find if I had to go back to the file many months later), but nowadays, I just load a primitive "plus" sign, switch it to dummy, change opacity to zero, so it's totally out of view (in the older versions of iClone... while iC7 all dummies switch automatically to zero) and re-name it "Music" so it's always easy to find and edit. 

Then the visemes for each character can be done by either;
a) adding an expression and manually adjusting the visemes for that...
    where copy-paste (or control-drag)  makes it easy for repeating choruses or words...
    and saving each new custom "expression" if you need to load it onto another character in the scene (must be the same spine e.g. Mrs Dobbie). 

OR BEST AND EASIEST: 
b) using the tts to type in the lyrics (or copy-paste them from a word document), and sliding the volume down to zero before clicking ok to add it to the scene...

Note: I get really accurate visemes if - instead of using text-to-speech- I record my own voice, and load that BUTTT, then we can't just render out the video with song, because the dummy voice track can also be heard... (unless there is a way to adjust volume in the timeline that I haven't found yet)... so doing it this way means loading all the voices and sound into the iC project (knowing it will sound like a mess), then rendering, loading it into an editor, deleting the whole sound track and then reloading just the music with pro singers. 

These tips work really well in iC5 and 6.
But sadly, manual viseme adjustments are much harder in iC7, I think, because the voice tracks can no longer be edited/broken/split/control-dragged... or if they can, it's faulty in mine.

Many thanks for the detailed Tut, Bleetz (& Job & Dennis)
I only want to Map Facial Animation, Dobbin will behave like Horse apart from that. However, it's worth knowing. But I need to start with with Dobbin T Pose, then map human body bones, before I get the green light to proceed further. for facial animation. have all iC5 & 3DX5 Tuts on My HDD.

I'm only a casual iC5 user these days, but appreciate your very detailed Tut.

Love the last clip. Have you posted it in showcase your work?

BTW, If a Song has 2 tracks, vocal & music, those can be separated in Goldwave/Audacity, into 2 audio files.

Cheers
Pete

@ Pete RE: Love the last clip. Have you posted it in showcase your work?

Nah, these were really just quick and dirty motion tests while I was first learning how to set up spines for Quadrupeds in 3DX so they could function as either quadrupeds or humanoids (the t-pose is the same by the way)...
So these videos are normally switched to private on my secondary channel for friends-eyes only, while my commercial showcase of toons that have been sold in one way or another are over on my youtube channel for Tarampa Studios
But they're nearly all rendered in iC5 because I need vns files for the current series I sold to my government, and I'm committed to producing those until May.  (Sneak a peek here). 

So I'm never sure what to post in the "showcase your work" forum now that everyone else has moved on to iC7. 
RL did a feature blog post on me in June this year, but that was still working in iC5 and 6, and since then I haven't done much that would interest anybody with iC7, 
so I post all my current screenshots/tests on my facebook page until I can upgrade officially to iC7. 

Bleetz (11/11/2017)
So I'm never sure what to post in the "showcase your work" forum now that everyone else has moved on to iC7. 

It doesn't really matter what version of iClone you use. If you are satisfied with the work and are ready to show it, then just show it. Not everyone does/likes Facebook, so the Showcase section would be better.
Ok great. I'll keep that in mind.
I'm just over half-way animating my version of his "Favourite Christmas Song" haha... 

Is there a deadline for this one..? 
Bleetz (11/12/2017)
Is there a deadline for this one..? 

Before Christmas??? Tongue
By colour - 7 Years Ago
Decided on an iC1.5 & AnimationFactory combo remake; "Up On The Rooftop Ho Ho Ho.", I did years-ago

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9b3218ff-5e3d-4fbc-a5ff-8bed.jpg
Well, I've got all my scenes set up and animated in time with the music -
I chose Jingle Bells, but with new lyrics in a kind of ballad about stealing Santa's Sleigh (which may or may not be based on a true story. I'm not confessing to anything publicly, LOL)

I chose an iC5 version of Walter too, but I added a facial morph for him in iC5 so he can puff up his cheeks and smile like Santa, and so his beard can morph and grow on camera when the magic happens. 

But I've run into a bit of a delay, because I tried using the Microsoft David Voice, but it really doesn't work well for singing - unless I speed him up to chipmunk... and I can't find any friends or family who can sing my new lyrics as Walter without laughing.
They don't really seem that funny to me, but apparently they ring a bit too true for anybody who knows me and how the ballad really happened... you know... assuming it did... I'm still not confessing. 

So I put out a call on my facebook page for any friends in my wider circles who were proper male singers.
My local radio station saw my post, announced it on air, and now I've got 3 guys for "auditions" and a radio station who has volunteered to record it for me. 

Ah, the rabbit holes we can fall into, LOL. 
But I'm still not confessing.  Hehe
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/62e5b943-c417-4a16-bd20-38cc.png
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9a16a359-729b-4247-afd4-dc5d.jpg
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/fcfa16c0-4d26-4174-846b-dd82.png
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/15a730cf-fc49-4826-af41-9e1e.png
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/834a7826-c74b-4a34-8e42-5bd6.jpg

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/1baff27e-2766-4eec-9b46-8e32.jpg

Ho-Ho-Ho!
@Bleetz,

I'm loving the look.  Thanks for sharing the pictures.
That's pretty funny how your call for singers took on a life of its own.  I look forward to hearing more as the saga unfolds.
Bleetz, that's quite a production! My intent is to do JIngle Bells too, with a typical Pinhead mishap.
I don't have a particularly great idea, so I'm trying to compensate with the looks. Here is a WIP still:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9715ba2f-8fdf-407f-aed8-5f5a.jpg

I'm recycling scenery from last year's clip, but with the enhancements available in iClone 7. As you can see, Pinhead is not really happy with his assignment, because he doesn't like to sing.
By colour - 7 Years Ago
animagic (11/17/2017)
I don't have a particularly great idea, so I'm trying to compensate with the looks. Here is a WIP still:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9715ba2f-8fdf-407f-aed8-5f5a.jpg

I'm recycling scenery from last year's clip, but with the enhancements available in iClone 7. As you can see, Pinhead is not really happy with his assignment, because he doesn't like to sing.

LOL BigGrin. Pinhead looks resigned to his fate.

colour (11/17/2017)
animagic (11/17/2017)
As you can see, Pinhead is not really happy with his assignment, because he doesn't like to sing.

LOL BigGrin. Pinhead looks resigned to his fate.

Indeed.  He's not exactly oozing holiday cheer.  Rolleyes  I can't wait to see where this goes.  With Pinhead, you never know.
By mark - 7 Years Ago
WOW! You folks are sure gettin' me in a Holiday mood!!!! 'Course with Walter P. around ya gotta keep a eye out for complications!!!TongueTongueTongue
RE: Final Update to this Continuing Saga... 

Bleetz (11/14/2017)
I chose Jingle Bells, but with new lyrics in a kind of ballad about stealing Santa's Sleigh (which may or may not be based on a true story. I'm not confessing to anything publicly, LOL)

I chose an iC5 version of Walter too, but I added a facial morph for him in iC5 so he can puff up his cheeks and smile like Santa, and so his beard can morph and grow on camera when the magic happens. 

But I've run into a bit of a delay, because I tried using the Microsoft David Voice, but it really doesn't work well for singing - unless I speed him up to chipmunk... and I can't find any friends or family who can sing my new lyrics as Walter without laughing.
They don't really seem that funny to me, but apparently they ring a bit too true for anybody who knows me and how the ballad really happened... you know... assuming it did... I'm still not confessing. 

So I put out a call on my facebook page for any friends in my wider circles who were proper male singers.
My local radio station saw my post, announced it on air, and now I've got 3 guys for "auditions" and a radio station who has volunteered to record it for me. 

Ho-Ho-Ho!

Ta-Daaaa!  My contribution to the Walter P  singing something Christmassy;

This Walter fellow sure is fun to play with. What an unexpected adventure we shared! 
Turns out the local singers were all pretty good - at least to my tone deaf ear. Haha. 
Made it hard to choose, so I hope this one is okay for Walter...?

Kudos again to his original creators for an avatar that can stay lovable year after year
and version to version!! That's quite amazing really.  I never used faceware for this, just
normal iC5 tools, but it really does make me wish I could play with that plug-in. 

There's still 2 glitches bugging me with other things, but I have no idea how to solve them. 
Can you guess what they are..? 
Or maybe I've been staring at them so long that they only glare loudly at me. LOL. 

By CtrlZ - 7 Years Ago
Awesome!!!
By jlittle - 7 Years Ago
That was great! Loved it!

Jeff
By Walt_R - 7 Years Ago
Bleetz,

Terrific, loved the dancing at the end. BigGrin Rudolph has moves. And, I did not see the glitches you mentioned. 

Walt
By colour - 7 Years Ago
Bleetz (11/19/2017)

Bleetz (11/14/2017)

Ho-Ho-Ho!

This Walter fellow sure is fun to play with. What an unexpected adventure we shared! 
Turns out the local singers were all pretty good - at least to my tone deaf ear. Haha. 

Kudos again to his original creators for an avatar that can stay lovable year after year
and version to version!! That's quite amazing really.  I never used faceware for this, just
normal iC5 tools, but it really does make me wish I could play with that plug-in. 

There's still 2 glitches bugging me with other things, but I have no idea how to solve them. 
Or maybe I've been staring at them so long that they only glare loudly at me. LOL. 

LOL. BigGrinBigGrinBigGrinBigGrinBigGrin
Another Pinhead classic.BigGrin Loved the sloshed Reindeer with his bottle of booze in the sleigh.& the Toon Keystone Cops chase BigGrin

BTW, this isn't the first time Pinhead's been nicked for being a thief. In his first Community Project in 2006, he was nicked for stealing a Viking boat from a museum.

@Colour RE: BTW, this isn't the first time Pinhead's been nicked for being a thief. In his first Community Project in 2006, he was nicked for stealing a Viking boat from a museum. 

Oh Wow! really? What a naughty chap he is, LOL.

I'd love to see that one... I thought I'd caught up on them all, but I've only been animating for 3 years, so after searching the forums, I did a search on Pinhead in youtube and vimeo to find any extras that I might have missed. 
He almost needs his own channel, hahaha

@Bleetz,

Fun clip.  And so quickly, too!  Thanks for sharing.  Smile

Yes, Pinhead has quite a history.  He was also accused of being a canoe thief, and that accusation became a thing of legend, resurfacing (or at least being referred to) in several other clips over the years.

I've been thinking recently about trying to create a nice home for Pinhead videos.  It will be difficult to round them up, but it would be fun to have a YouTube playlist for each "project" he's been on.  There was some changing-of-the-guards in terms of hosting the Pinhead site.  The original got shut down, and the replacement never got fully populated.  Still, it would be fun to do.  I should reach out to some of the super-original founders (a.k.a. "The Committee") and see what we can do.

As for your glitches, there were certainly not any that took away the fun of watching the video.  What if I mention a couple, but they weren't the ones on your list?  Then I will have doubled your anxiety!  Are you sure you want to risk that?

Thanks again for the fun, and early, Pinhead Christmas video.

@JustaViking 

RE: ... also accused of being a canoe thief, and that accusation became a thing of legend, resurfacing (or at least being referred to) in several other clips over the years.

Oh yeah, I do recall seeing a few references to that. 

RE: A home for Pinhead... 
Perhaps a fast and easy way of finding them all is to ask everyone to add #Pinhead to the descriptions and/or tag list under their videos. Then they should all pop up in a google search...  
that's a trick I learned from twitter, but it does also seem to pick up videos that are posted almost anywhere (except privately on facebook) BigGrin

And re the glitches; it's the white fluffy brim on Santa Pinhead's hat (which sometimes freezes in the shape of harsh square corners when travelling at speed)...
and the sound, which sucks... I think because it was recorded in a proper professional sound studio at a radio station and then I added the music at home using EQ and Noise Gate settings that I learned from how-to videos on youtube which are intended only for hobbyists cleaning up sound from their own DIY mic or phone recordings at home... 

And RE: any other glitches... yes, please; I'd love to know if I missed any. We can never learn from mistakes if we never know we've made them, LOL... 
I may not have time to fix them in this particular vid, but I'll certainly keep all keen-eyed suggestions in mind for my next project.
Onwards and upwards, hopefully....  BigGrinBigGrinBigGrin

By Peter Blood - 7 Years Ago
Hehe Loved it Bleetz. BigGrin
Looks like Pinhead gonna get that lump of coal for Christmas. Nicely done. You have a pretty good voice.

Strange Christmas songs always remind me of "The Night Santa Went Crazy" by Weird Al Tongue

Cool pete

RE: Not Quite Final Update after all... 
Worth sharing because hopefully it might help prevent others from making the same mistakes. 

It contains both Good News & Bad...sigh... 

Good news= With many thanks to everyone who offered advice on cleaning up the sound from the first draft, the singer's voice is now heaps cleaner with only remnants of distortion from the allegedly professional mic at my local radio station... It's not like it's headed for cinema or anything similar, so I'm really happy with how it turned out, and I learned a few tricks along the way, which shall stay with me forever... so that's all great, but... 

Bad News= After all that effort, and all that work, the radio dude won't sign the talent release form that he's had all this time. He says he's fine for me to use his sound recording for private reasons but not commercial - and that means taking my logo out of it, and never being able to upload it to youtube or even my studio facebook page. I'd have to do it as a private video on my personal channel.... I tried to explain this to him, but honestly, it's like talking to a brick.... 

So this is a private unlisted link that probably won't last more than a week. The Singing Plumber is fine with signing the talent release form, allegedly, but the radio dude recorded him, so they're a package deal... 

On the upside, another friend of mine knows an excellent retired singer who is waaaaay better than Pete the Plumber... so if I can't get the talent release forms from Radio Dude, then I'll just record again from scratch using my own mic, which hasn't failed me yet.... 

And I learned two big lessons:

1) Get the Talent release forms BEFORE including any cast/crew contributions in any work.... and 
2) Never, Ever, Ever record anything at a Radio Station. 🤔

So even if this version of the video never sees the light of day past the end of this week, I'm still counting it as an excellent project for teaching me valuable lessons: 

UPDATE WITH SINGING VOICE REPAIRED : 

Previous Posts and Original Version Below: 

colour (11/19/2017)
Bleetz (11/19/2017)

[quote]Bleetz (11/14/2017)

Ho-Ho-Ho!

Bleetz, just watched it; it's very funny! I enjoyed it.

Sorry to hear about your negative experience. Mine is just the opposite for recording the voices of one of my films, although I did have the release forms in place, and I was the audio engineer. I used the audio studio of our local public access station. 
@Bleetz - Much improved sound.  Well done.  Smile

Very strange lesson learned about the Talent Release forms and process.  Thanks for sharing that.
By Gerskey - 7 Years Ago
Hi community,
A quick word from Walter.

Peace
Gerskey
@Gerseky,

Wow!
Things are heating up now!  We must ensure we have more entries than prizes.  I will do my best to participate (so others can actually "win" their prizes).

ADDED LATER....

I just realized I have a musical Christmas-themed Pinhead video.  And he sings, sort of, a tiny little bit.

Obviously it's not an entry for this activity, but it's a fun throw-back to his old 2D days.

I spent a lot of time playing will a lot of features in Pinnacle Studio for this video.  That is video editing software where Pinhead was born (Pinnacle... Pinhead... it's not just a coincidence) and Pinnacle graciously allowed his creators (parents) use their logo on his shirt, and it gets a bit of special attention in this clip.

So while I ponder my actual entry, I hope you enjoy a bit of holiday music...

By Gerskey - 7 Years Ago
Hi community,
Here are the prizes for this year which I hope you like.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6b1b1dd3-8795-4154-99dd-db4e.jpg
A huge thank you too, to Reallusion for their support.
Peace
Gerskey

Very nice prizes, Gerskey!

Since yesterday my right hand is giving me trouble, but I hope to be able to finish in time.
@Gerskey - Wow!  Those are all awesome!
Ohhhhh WOWWWWWW!!!! 

Now I wish I had time to make another one, LOL

The Finally Final Update for this Final Draft LOL

GREAT NEWS!!!  JINGLE JAIL ROCK is ready to ROLL... LOL
Everyone signed their Talent Release Forms (finally) - so I also used that wee delay as a chance to tweak a few final visemes,
which means this is now as smooth talking and emotion-packed (crooner style) as I can get it until I can afford the Faceware plugin:

All done in iC5, including facial morphs via 3DX. Trickiest parts were the beards - and Rudolph's flapping tongue in the wind. haha

Hehe  Hehe  Hehe  Hehe  Hehe
By CtrlZ - 7 Years Ago
Gerskey (11/23/2017)
Hi community,
Here are the prizes for this year which I hope you like.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6b1b1dd3-8795-4154-99dd-db4e.jpg
A huge thank you too, to Reallusion for their support.
Peace
Gerskey

I have been wanting to join in on this lol 
Not to win anything but as a fun learning tool Smile 

By CtrlZ - 7 Years Ago
Bleetz (11/24/2017)
The Finally Final Update for this Final Draft LOL

GREAT NEWS!!!  JINGLE JAIL ROCK is ready to ROLL... LOL
Everyone signed their Talent Release Forms (finally) - so I also used that wee delay as a chance to tweak a few final visemes,
which means this is now as smooth talking and emotion-packed (crooner style) as I can get it until I can afford the Faceware plugin:

All done in iC5, including facial morphs via 3DX. Trickiest parts were the beards - and Rudolph's flapping tongue in the wind. haha

Hehe  Hehe  Hehe  Hehe  Hehe

Flippin Awesome lol

By GrannyJ - 7 Years Ago
@Bleetz - very comical, very creative - job well done!
So I had finally some time to work on my project and even rendered a bit, but now the project file no longer opens...Crying 
By colour - 7 Years Ago
animagic (12/3/2017)
So I had finally some time to work on my project and even rendered a bit, but now the project file no longer opens...Crying 

What a barsteward, Job. Hope you can open it .BTW, do you delete iC Temp files. If not try that & Defrag HDD &OPen in Quick Mode.. 

Hopefully Pinhead will be "Up on the rooftop Ho, Ho, Ho", in time for 11th, here.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c209fb56-5535-4eb0-9d1c-7f57.jpg

By Gerskey - 7 Years Ago
Hi community,
I like what I see in this thread.
I have been a little busy with volunteering at a charity for Christmas in County Down Northern Ireland for the senior citizens.
So guys, 7 days left and good luck x.
Peace
Gerskey
By vepop - 7 Years Ago
Unfortunately, I-Clone is needed to download Pinhead character.
So CTA users are not able to play this game.
vepop (12/5/2017)

Actually Walter started out as a 2D character. One of the vids below features one of his 2D versions, but I just tried to find him in the content store and it looks like he's been lost during the last makeover of the store... 

Does anybody else still have the 2D version? I bet he'd be stacks of fun to play with too, if that's still allowed..? 

Any form of Pinhead is acceptable and welcome; he's certainly not even restricted to RL. A user named Ahroo did her Halloween clip with Moho.

Alley might have backups of 2D versions. You could PM her. I don't know if there ever was a CTA version.

I have a collection of very classic ("original') Pinhead images you can download here:  https://app.box.com/folder/7059949809

Adding to what Animagic said...  Pinhead is "application agnostic."  He started as a 2D cut-out for use in video editing software.  In fact, one of the original visions was to use him as a literal "cardboard character" that you would place in your photographs, which you would then edit into a story.  A few people have done that, but most used him as an overlay in the editor itself.  Gradually more and more people migrated to the 3D world, and iClone in particular.  But using iClone is not a requirement.  In fact, one person actually did a "Claymation" video!

The iClone forum has become the default home for Pinhead, but use Blender or Maya if you wish.  Even though this is a Reallusion forum, I'm sure they would not complain if a couple people did that.  Pinhead has been very good to Reallusion.

Have fun!  :

By colour - 7 Years Ago

vepop (12/5/2017)

Pinhead's Website is www.pinheadadventure.com from where you can download Pinhead Versions, including CTA. However the Website appears to be no longer available. It's possible the former Pinhead Committee haven't renewed the Website subscription.

I've e-mailed the Committee Members that Pinhead Fun Projects are still going, but no reply.

Jeff Little is a CTA Animator & has his own CTA Pinhead. PM him.

justaviking (12/5/2017)

I have a collection of very classic ("original') Pinhead images you can download here:  https://app.box.com/folder/7059949809 

I'd love to get those too, if possible please?
(I checked the link and it must have expired already..?) 

By vepop - 7 Years Ago
Thank you, everyone, for the warm response.

Thanks to the internet archive, you can still access an archived version of the download page of pinheadadventures.com.

Go here: https://web.archive.org/web/20160729231516/http://pinheadadventure.com:80/page7.html. There is a CTA Pinhead available there. I tried it and it downloads. 
Bleetz (12/5/2017)
justaviking (12/5/2017)

I'd love to get those too, if possible please?
(I checked the link and it must have expired already..?) 

Sorry about that.
Try this:  
https://app.box.com/s/97i0ysfzxk8ngpj53b9o0dea9lxwmlaf

You can click on one, and then Shift-click to select multiple files.  (Or click on one, then Ctrl-A to select all.)

I just copied the link the to folder, which only works for me when I'm logged in to my account.  Blush  This is the "Share" link and should work for you.

You'll probably find Animagic's archival link to be more useful, but you are very welcome to use whichever version of Pinhead you wish.
By vepop - 7 Years Ago
Thanks animagic and justaviking!  👍👍👍
Managed to download Pinhead.
By vepop - 7 Years Ago
vepop (12/6/2017)

Great. I hope you will be able to finish something! I'm currently struggling...Crying
By jlittle - 7 Years Ago
If anybody is interested here is my CTA G2 Pinhead character.

Jeff
By pinguintje - 7 Years Ago
Congratulations to Bleetz. A very good clip, The Jungle Jail Rock.:LaughLaughLaugh
@jeff: Thank you for the CTA Pinhead character.SmileSmileSmile

Here is my little clip. Not for this competition, because I could not find a "safe" royalty free song. (copyright You Tube).
Pinhead doesn't sing, but is inspired by Shakespeare. 

Have fun,
Best Regards,
Arie
@Pinguintje - Thanks for sharing the fun clip.

It's true that YouTube can get pretty irritating about using copywrited material, but a lot of those "claims" can be rather fraudulent themselves.  For a non-commercial use like a Pinhead video (assuming your YouTube page isn't commercialized), we have a lot of latitude.  At least that's my understanding of the legal situation, especially if you give credit to the original creator.

I was suffering from a lack of inspiration, but I think I finally have a fun idea.  I might need to edit the song to make it shorter.  I hope I don't run out of time.  (More than likely, I'll make another famously low-quality Pinhead video, but as long as I have fun, I'm okay with it.)  Here is a humble start...
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/4d23a49f-8965-4b8c-b83c-f6a1.jpg
@justaviking.
Thank you for watching the clip and the explanation.
And here is a little picture of the Pinhead generation.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d5ff82cd-2006-430c-bca1-a13a.jpg

Best Regards,
Arie
I wanted to contribute, have some fun on creating something the last days before christmas,
when i have time and no jobs will occur...
Why the hell is the deadline so "early"??
Probably won't make it... Pinch
toystorylab (12/7/2017)
I wanted to contribute, have some fun on creating something the last days before christmas,
when i have time and no jobs will occur...
Why the hell is the deadline so "early"??
Probably won't make it... Pinch

An extra week or 10 days would certainly help. I'm away this weekend and only have a very rough draft.
animagic (12/7/2017)
An extra week or 10 days would certainly help. I'm away this weekend and only have a very rough draft.[/quote]

Your "very rough draft" is almost certain to be better than any of my finished products.  Tongue
I could benefit from an extension, too, but will press on as best I can.

RE: Jingle Jail Rock: Thanks for your kind feedback everyone! 

RE: Arie said;
pinguintje (12/6/2017)
... I could not find a "safe" royalty free song. (copyright You Tube)... 

To prevent and eliminate all problems with copyright claims, I use music from the Youtube Free Audio Library. 
There are plenty of Christmas tunes there, just put the keyword "Christmas" into the search box... the library gets bigger every day: 

This library is being created for us by Youtube to help stop the frivolous youtube claims...
all of the music in this library is already checked and authorised as being free for commercial projects:

https://www.youtube.com/audiolibrary/music 

Well, here is my contribution in unpolished condition:

It came actually out better than I expected.

EDIT: Updated version with subtitles for the song.
By colour - 7 Years Ago
Doubtful if I can make the cut-off date. Will submit it anyway, when I can, after that date.

One of the Play bar sliders has gone AWOL. & Cam follow Actor/Link to Bone Root that I've used many times, results in the Set Props moving with Pinhead's movements..
By Gerskey - 7 Years Ago
Hi community,
regarding the closing date. The date was chosen so that the prizes could be sent out to the winners before Christmas.
However, if you all wish, I can extend the closing date to 18th December. Prizes may arrive a bit later.
This will also give those who have entered if they so wish, to do anything with their entry due to the deadline that was first set.
So, if you can all get back with what you think I'll be happy to extend the date.
Peace
Gerskey
By Gerskey - 7 Years Ago
Hi community,
regarding the closing date. The date was chosen so that the prizes could be sent out to the winners before Christmas.
However, if you all wish, I can extend the closing date to 18th December. Prizes may arrive a bit later.
This will also give those who have entered if they so wish, to do anything with their entry due to the deadline that was first set.
So, if you can all get back with what you think I'll be happy to extend the date.
Peace
Gerskey
Gerskey - Your generosity is astounding.

My vote is for an extended deadline if it helps increase participation (which it sounds like it will).  More Pinhead videos also make a nice Christmas present.  Smile
By colour - 7 Years Ago
Gerskey (12/8/2017)
Hi community,
Peace
Gerskey

Thanks, Gerard.
18th suits me better. 

By jlittle - 7 Years Ago
This is a busy time for many so a few extras days is appreciated.

Jeff
By mark - 7 Years Ago
Job, that really did come out kinda cool!!! I like it!!!BigGrinTongue
By Gerskey - 7 Years Ago
Hi community,
closing date for the Walter Pinhead Christmas Project 2017 is now extended to
18th December Midnight.
All time zones.
Peace
Gerskey
Gerskey (12/9/2017)
Hi community,
18th December Midnight.

Which time zone?
Gerskey (12/9/2017)
Hi community,
18th December Midnight.

Which time zone?
By Gerskey - 7 Years Ago
LOL.

All time zones.

Midnight 18th December 2017
By Gerskey - 7 Years Ago
LOL.

All time zones.

Midnight 18th December 2017
By jlittle - 7 Years Ago
North Pole, of course. Hehe
@Bleetz
Thank you for the You Tube tip.SmileSmileSmile
But when I use this music, is my movie without commercials? (You Tube adds)
I don't like commercials.(most of my clips are for the kids).

Best Regards,
Arie

By Gerskey - 7 Years Ago
Hi community,
1 week left to make Pinhead sing his favourite Christmas song.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/97ee68c3-96cf-4eb9-bb80-bd8a.jpg

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/aa1ef13f-6dc7-48dd-9db1-aa65.jpg
I have asked the Pinhead committee for a Certificate for this competition so fingers crossed xxx.
Peace
Gerskey
By Gerskey - 7 Years Ago
Hi community,
I have asked, regarding Pinhead Certificate.

Response a little blue.
peace

GERSKEY

pinguintje (12/11/2017)
@Bleetz
Thank you for the You Tube tip.SmileSmileSmile
But when I use this music, is my movie without commercials? (You Tube adds)
I don't like commercials.(most of my clips are for the kids).

Best Regards,
Arie

I hope I can explain in a way that translates into your language: 
Your question is like saying: I want to put my kids cartoon on TV, but I don't want commercials.

It has nothing to do with the music you choose.
The commercials depend on which channel you choose, and the type of deal you have with your account. 
You can use any music you like. 

e.g. You can use music from Youtube free Audio Library, but upload your cartoon to vimeo.  
Or you can upload to Youtube with a cartoon that uses free music from Vimeo's old free music library (some of Vimeo's old free library is now here: http://freemusicarchive.org/  )

If you don't want commercials, then you upload to facebook, twitter, or Amazon.

Commercials are on the free accounts with Youtube and Vimeo, but most parents use Youtube AdBlockers, so their children don't see the ads on youtube anyway. 
Or you can pay for a premium account with youtube or vimeo, and then you only have commercials if you choose which ads you want. 

I only recommended the free audio library with Youtube, because it guarantees you won't be bothered by any false copyright claims if you upload to youtube. 
If you use free audio music from Youtube, but then upload to Vimeo, maybe you will still be bothered by copyright claims. Maybe not. 

Also; Kids don't care about commercials. Kids know how to press "x: to close the ads, or skip them. 

I hope that makes sense? 
BigGrin

By vepop - 7 Years Ago
Thanks, Gerskey, for the extension.
I'm still thinking an idea for Pinhead vid. Hopefully, I can make it before the deadline.

I have used the extension to add subtitles to the song and one sound effect I had overlooked. Otherwise no changes.

vepop (12/12/2017)
Thanks, Gerskey, for the extension.
I'm still thinking an idea for Pinhead vid. Hopefully, I can make it before the deadline.

I hope you will be able to come up with something!
Some random ideas which might help or inspire your own brain-storm: 

* Filming a house in your neighbourhood with great christmas lights like this
and then animating Pinhead in front of it, singing and dancing...

* Turning the free animated book prop into a Christmas Card that opens and comes alive... 

* Taking a singing scene from a Christmas movie and animate PinHead singing it as the narrator... 
Like this opening from Lethal Weapon - you could change the actors names and titles to parody names, 
and maybe use toonshader, 2D or other famous characters from other movies (e.g. instead of the blonde girl, you might use predator with a wig, or the free toon rudolf, or a scantily clad Mrs Claus)

How to avoid breaching copyright: 
* Use very old classic tunes - e.g. anything over 100years old, or.... 
* Use new Christmas songs that are provided for free in the youtube free audio library
* If it's a copyright song (or a copyright scene from a movie) - use only part of it, and make sure it's obvious that it's a comedy parody version that you're doing. 

Any more entries coming our way?
animagic (12/14/2017)

I'm working on one.

(Sort of working on one.  I already fear its low quality,  I seem to get "a few minutes every few days" to spend on it.  Maybe I can send my family on vacation and I can do more Pinhead stuff.  Not to complain about the family, but that's the way it seems to be.)
By colour - 7 Years Ago
animagic (12/14/2017)

Yes - When you see it. BigGrin

Apologies. No time to view & comment on others clips, ATM.

animagic (12/12/2017)
I have used the extension to add subtitles to the song and one sound effect I had overlooked. Otherwise no changes.

Nice video, Job.  Smile
Very cute, and an excellent set.

I can't believe I overlooked it somehow.  I better go back and review this thread more closely to ensure I haven't missed any others.
By Gerskey - 7 Years Ago
Hi Pinhead community,
it's near the 18th of Dec

Thank you all that entered
Prizes will be sent after Christmas as it's a busy time of the year
and places are closed like my office here on the forum in Northern Ireland.
Now behave lol.
 Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 2018 all x.
Peace
Gerskey

By jlittle - 7 Years Ago
Here is my entry. Just completed it.

jlittle (12/18/2017)

Very adorable.  And energetic!
Well done.  Thank you very much.

(I am increasingly doubtful I'm going to get one in by the deadline, though I really do look forward to finishing it.  I haven't totally given up, but it seems unlikely.)

By colour - 7 Years Ago
justaviking (12/18/2017)
jlittle (12/18/2017)

Very adorable.  And energetic!
Well done.  Thank you very much.

(I am increasingly doubtful I'm going to get one in by the deadline, though I really do look forward to finishing it.  I haven't totally given up, but it seems unlikely.)

Same as Dennis, I'm afraid. But I WILL  post mine, before Xmas day.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/046adec9-75cb-434b-b808-aed9.jpg

colour (12/18/2017)
justaviking (12/18/2017)

Same as Dennis, I'm afraid. But I WILL  post mine, before Xmas day.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/046adec9-75cb-434b-b808-aed9.jpg

Peter - Yours has already brought a smile to my face.  Smile

By Gerskey - 7 Years Ago
Hi animagic,
Thank you for your Christmas project 2017 entry.
Peace
Gerskey.

By Gerskey - 7 Years Ago
Hi Jlittle,
Thank you for your Christmas project entry
peace
Gerskey

I have decided to post "something" by midnight tonight (in my time zone), no matter how rough it is.
At least that was my interpretation of "all time zones" for the deadline.
Then I'll probably work on finishing a Version 2 before the end of the year.

By vepop - 7 Years Ago
Sorry guys! Can't make it. My computer is not running smoothly.
This is the short clip which I managed to do. But i've changed the character; not using Walter Pinhead.

@Vepop,

It wasn't Pinhead, but it was still a cute video.
Thank you for adding to our Christmas cheer.  Smile
By Zeronimo - 7 Years Ago
I started too late, and I will not have time to finish. So here is my contribution in the state it is.
Thanks to Animagic for his character Pinhead.

I started rendering now and it's 23:00 in my Time Zone Berlin Germany...
I hope i get it online within the deadline Angry
By vepop - 7 Years Ago
justaviking, thank you. 
The short clip is supposed to be the 2nd scene with Walter Pinhead.
But it never happened as my pc is giving me a headache. 
Thinking of reformatting to factory setting .... hmmmm...
Quick and Dirty, no Time for tweaking or edit in Hitfilm due to deadline. 3 Hour Project...

Comments on all the other contributions tomorrow, have to go to bed now BigGrin

By Gerskey - 7 Years Ago
Hi community,
Thank you toystory for your entry.
Peace
Gerskey
Nice, fun clip, ToyStoryLab.

Very glad you got it in.
(I have a few hours left here...)
By Gerskey - 7 Years Ago
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9a7181ff-d5f8-4157-b6af-e855.png
Umm... rendering...  not midnight here yet.  Unsure
11:56pm

ADDED:
And done "processing" by YouTube by 11:58pm.  Wow, now that's cutting it close!

ADDED:
The video is very rough.  But in spite of that, I think it adequately expresses the concept I had.
It includes an "experimental" use of the Faceware plug-in.  It has a lot of potential, but there wasn't any time for second takes or refinement.  What you see is the result of a first-ever singing test.  Don't blame any "imperfections" on either the plug-in or the brave soul who did the test for me.  I plan to make a "Version 2" before the end of the year, and then everything should look better.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Well, Dennis, that was quite a performance from Pinhead. I didn't know he had such talent. I'm glad you were able to submit.
By Gerskey - 7 Years Ago
Thank you Justaviking
for your Pinhead entry.
Peace
Gerskey
Hi Job.
Thanks for the kind words.

It was another rushed Pinhead project (my fault, not Gerskey's).  But as always, it was a lot of fun.

P.S.
Now you see why our "story idea by me, animation by you" collaboration is a pretty good idea.  Wink

ADDED>>>  Hi to Gerskey, too.  (We cross-posted.)
Thank you so much for making this fun community activity happen.
Best wishes to you and yours.
By Gerskey - 7 Years Ago
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/a8c85519-5bd2-42de-8e57-2c81.jpg
Okay, here's my abortive attempt at this -- WAY too late, and WAY too many problems for me to try and fix now (in my defense, I started this two days ago and my computer is now a mess since I've been migrating everything over to my new SSD drive -- I can't even find half my stuff yet).

@KT - That was delightful!  Smile

Is that you singing?  Very passionate.

Creative concept, and I love Pinhead's pajamas, too.

I'm so glad you felt inspired to join, even if late.  There's never a bad time for a Pinhead video.
By colour - 7 Years Ago
Better than nothingErmm. Ensure HD & Full Screen are enabled

So when will we know who won? Unsure
By Gerskey - 7 Years Ago
Hi community,
here you go. The winners.

Thank you all.
Peace
Gerskey

@Peter - That was a very cute entry.  I'm glad you shared it with us.

@Gerskey - Thank for taking the initiative and putting in the effort the run this little contest.  I had a lot of fun, both on my project and viewing all the entries.  Your awards ceremony video was very shiny and pretty.  And lastly, thank you for the honor of 4th place.

@KellyToons - It was really fun to do the Faceware collaboration with you.  Thanks again.  I look forward to trying more like that in the future.

@Everyone - Congrats to the other winners, especially to Bleetz for his 1st-place entry.  And thanks to everyone for all your entries, including the late ones.  It's always fun to see more Pinhead videos.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f8fa82dd-7024-4ddf-bcda-c4eb.png TO THE WINNERS!

Though i was running low on time, it was fun to participate.
              And i am looking forward to another PINHEAD event...
By colour - 7 Years Ago
CONGRATULATIONS to the worthy winners.

CONGRATULATIONS to all participants, for taking the time & effort, producing darned-good clips, entertaining so many.

CONGRATULATIONS to Gerard, for hosting the event, his Awards Show, providing & distributing his own prizes, No mean achievement.

PINHEAD RULES OK  
Thank you all for the funny clips.
It was fun to watch them.
Congratulations to the winners, especially to Bleetz. 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/b99b0ab6-6cb1-47fc-ba58-2453.jpg

Best Regards,
Arie
By mark - 7 Years Ago
That was great! A total hoot!!!! Big congrats to all who participated and to the big winners!!! TongueBigGrinTongueBigGrin
By Peter Blood - 7 Years Ago
Gratz to the winners and to all of the participants.  Smile There are some really fun animations by some of our best animators
and it's been a treat to watch all of them brought to the small screen.

Cool pete
WOW!  THANK YOU!! 
Also many thanks for all your kind words and encouragement, and to the other entrants who never fail to surprise and entertain me with so many new and inspirational ways to portray and re-invent this lovable character. 
I've been a big fan of Walter since I first started learning how to animate 3 years ago and I'm sure I never could have made this animation at all (let alone with such ease and speed) without iClone. 

Congratulations to the other winners too! What a fabulous bunch of entertaining toons! BigGrinBigGrinBigGrin

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/797a0ea8-9557-4d7c-8d84-b548.png

By Zeronimo - 7 Years Ago
I am very honored, I did not expect at all to win a prize.
Originally this project was planned to last 3 times longer, but family obligations and the holiday season did not allow me to work as fast as I would have liked.
congratulation to all the winners.
thank you very much, and happy new year to all.
By Gerskey - 6 Years Ago
Hi community.
To 3rd,4th and 5th prize winners of 
Walter Pinhead's Christmas Project 2017,"Make Him Sing His Favourite
Christmas Song."
Animagic, 
Justaviking 
and Zeronimo.

Prizes are in the post.
Congratulations to all of you, happy new year 2018 and thank you x.
Peace
Gerskey
By justaviking - 6 Years Ago
@Gerskey - Thank YOU once again for your generosity and the energy you put into making the project happen.  Smile
By colour - 6 Years Ago
justaviking (1/7/2018)
@Gerskey - Thank YOU once again for your generosity and the energy you put into making the project happen.  Smile

And from me, GerardSmile

Also again  to Jeff,  for his Pinhead Halloween Project participants prizes.Smile

By Zeronimo - 6 Years Ago
Gerskey (1/7/2018)
Hi community.
To 3rd,4th and 5th prize winners of 
Walter Pinhead's Christmas Project 2017,"Make Him Sing His Favourite
Christmas Song."
Animagic, 
Justaviking 
and Zeronimo.

Prizes are in the post.
Congratulations to all of you, happy new year 2018 and thank you x.
Peace
Gerskey

@Gerskey
I just received my prize today.
Best wishes for 2018 to you too, thank you again.

By justaviking - 6 Years Ago
@Gerard (Gerskey)
Santa arrived at my house today, with (actually "on") a beautiful mouse pad.  And he brought some snow along for good measure.  Smile
Thanks again for hosting the activity and generously providing prizes.  It is all very much appreciated.
By Gerskey - 6 Years Ago
Hi community,
hi winners of the "Walter Pinhead's Christmas Project 2017, Make Him Sing His Favourite Christmas Song"
just checking in to make sure that you all the got your prizes.
PM me if you didn't.
Peace
Gerskey
By Tarampa Studios - 6 Years Ago
It's a super big happy YES from me!!... 
I chose a visual essentials pack with super substance tools, which RL very kindly added to my account download list on the 2nd of January while I was still bleary-eyed from celebrating the New Year. Haha
So I've been having lots of fun trying to learn enough with the new tools to take my work to the next level. 

Many, many thanks again. 
I submitted my entry before anybody mentioned anything about prizes, so 1st prize was a terrific surprise in more than one way. 
I've been a huge fan of Walter for years!
Smile 
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/012c27d5-e856-4d14-b3fd-bd58.png