DAZ3d Scene (building/props) to iClone workflow?

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic343230.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Renaissance Man Studios - 7 Years Ago

I tried the internet and this site and I can't seem to find a tutorial for a DAZ3d Scene (building/props) to iClone workflow?

Can someone either give me some tips or point me in the right direction so I can learn properly.

Thanks in advance!

By Kelleytoons - 7 Years Ago
Would that it would be so easy.

It's a bit of a trial and error process, because "props" in Daz can be a lot of different things, in a lot of different ways, depending on how they are constructed.  I can give you some *very* general rules but you will find that there is no specific workflow, just a whole lot of them you will need to try if one doesn't work.

To begin with, try exporting from Daz as an obj, with the objects in "Node Names", and make sure you have Write Surfaces checkmarked.  Bring this into XChange and make sure you have the "man" in XChange enabled so you can adjust the size if necessary (sometimes it is, sometimes not).  Look at the various nodes -- you may see some you'd like to make sub-props (good candidates are doors and chairs, for example -- this will allow you to move them in the scene separately from the main prop).  If you create a sub-prop, make sure you adjust the pivot for it.  Export.

If you are VERY lucky most of the textures will come over, but not adjusted for PBR, so you'll have to go into each one (sigh) and do it.  This can take hours, or days (hopefully Python scripting will automate this process when available).  Adjust your lighting as needed, and voila!

Except it will seldom work that way.  Sometimes you'll need to use Surface Names instead of node names, sometimes Existing groups.  Sometimes you'll need to export only selected items from XChange, so you can break up the prop into needed sub-items.

And sometimes it will be a figure, not a prop.  Yep, even a building can be a "figure", which is a PITA   If it's a figure and you need to have separate parts of it (like doors) you will have to go through a process I'm too tired to explain.  Come back here sometime and we might help (oh, and you can also try exporting as FBX but this seldom works, IMHO, UNLESS it's specifically a figure and not a prop you want).
Ooo, thought of some more things.  You will almost surely have to adjust the bump/normal maps IF they got loaded correctly (sometimes they do, sometimes they don't -- if they don't you'll have to manually locate and load them).  They will nearly always be too "hot", at 100%, so you'll have to dial them down to around 15% or less.  Except when you won't have to.  No particular reason as to why, though.

Good indicator a normal/bump map is too hot is when it looks very odd in the lighting - it might turn completely black (or at least very dark).  

Also, sometimes the tiling will be off.  I just spent an hour trying to fix the tiling in a prop I imported, on a wall, only to find the roof (which had a completely different texture) was somehow linked so the tiling also affected it.  I had to bring it back into XChange and make it a sub-prop, at which point things started working correctly.   That was the first time I've ever encountered that, but it won't be the last.

That is another thing -- when you export from XCHange (either direct to iClone or as a prop you load in) you can always re-edit it back in XChange if you find you didn't make something a sub-prop and should have (or forgot to adjust a pivot).  When you re-import it you'll need to delete the existing prop (it's too bad that it just won't substitute the existing one, but it don't work that way).

Oh, did I mention that iClone is very sensitive when it comes to texture sizes?  Daz props are often at 4K texture size, which will quickly bring iClone to its knees and are really unnecessary anyway for anything other than a face.  In those cases you will need to resample all the textures BEFORE you load the prop into Daz (I use Photoshop for this as it has an automated script -- probably other ways of doing it but I have no idea).  I usually resample down to 1K and this looks and works fine.

With textures resampled you'll almost never have a problem with too big a prop in iClone.  Even something with millions of faces can work just fine.  Some folks say to use Decimator in Daz, for example, but I don't own it and have never needed it.  But you might need a good video card (I have 8gb of memory -- smaller cards might have issues with more faces).

The good news?  After working hours you WILL have something worthwhile.  Daz props light and work extraordinarily well in iClone - IMHO, much better than any iClone developer has done (with rare exceptions).  And they are nearly always cheaper.
Thank you Kelleytoons for responding to my question so quickly!
I believe you gave me the foundation to achieve what I am shooting for.
The tip about pivot points was a bonus, especially since I am hoping to animate a door opening also.
The scene I am working with is DAZ's Cabin in the Woods.
Again thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge and insight in such a detailed manner.
No problem -- I'm doing a LOT of this so it's on my mind.

I also bought the Cabin in the woods pack (was thinking about some Halloween type things) but haven't gotten around to importing it into iClone (so much software, so little time).  If you run into any problems let me know and I'll see what I can do about it.

I'll take you up on that offer - sparingly I promise
I was able to export the cabin as a fbx file and import into iClone along with its props separately and make them sub props.
I've been trying to determine if I could make the doors, windows and roof as sub props. In addition to opening a door, I would like to be able to turn the roof "on/off" so I can maneuver cameras around from a top view for easier placement.
One last question for you at the moment. Should the cabin be decimated? I don't have the program, but I'm considering to buy it from DAZ. Also, I am researching how to reduce polygon counts using other programs such as Blender. I am truly a newbie so hopefully decimating and reducing polygon counts mean the same thing.
I can't wait to get home from work so I can put into practice the info you shared!
Again thanks a bunch!
Vic

Well, as I said, I've yet to ever need to decimate anything.  Particularly things like props, which generally don't have as many faces to worry about (bringing people in is a whole other ballgame -- if you are going to do that, then decimator would definitely be worthwhile).

You can turn roof and walls on/off for camera placement, but in general I've found this almost never works.  It will screw up your GI lighting, which you should be using (this is assuming you're using iClone 7 -- if not, then don't worry about it).  With a wide enough camera angle you won't have to worry about such things getting in the way, and then you'll have good lighting from the GI bouncing around properly.  But that's just me (to me, the lighting is about 90% of a good animation).
Kellytoons,
I made a test render based on your advice. I dug around in the online manual and learned how to adjust pivot points.
The below test is just a proof of concept for exporting from DAZ3d to iClone 7 and adjusting pivot points.
Next is to work on lighting and the textures as per your advice.
Thanks again

Looks like you're getting it.  I think for lighting that scene I'd start with a directional light adjusted to look like moonlight (make sure you turn IBL down to 7-9 and enable GI on it and on the GI tab to let that light bounce around inside and turn off the two default lights iClone gives you, assuming you haven't changed your startup scene, as I have).

For interiors you can use some GI illuminating surfaces assuming you don't have any light emitting props you want to use (I have the furniture pack that goes along with the cabin but I don't remember if there are any lanterns or other lights provided, although that would be cool).
By pka4916 - 7 Years Ago
There is a thread that I started a while ago, asking the same thing.
There is a lot of info in that one too.
And yes, Decimator is a big help.    I bought it when it was on sale for $10,  otherwise it's like $100

By gcshep - 7 Years Ago

Hi vbrabble I have put together a short tutorial on how to convert to props in DAZ hope you might find this of some help.

Link for DAZ Covert download.
http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/nodes/convert_figure_to_props/start

Best Regards

George

Nice that you took the time to do this, but I would point out two things:

1) You can actually use the bone-rigged prop in iClone and sometimes it's far better to do so.  Once you've brought it in you can animate the various parts by going to the Modify/Animations tab and choose Edit Animation Layer.  This will allow you to choose each bone and animate it, moving the props accordingly.

2) If you are dead set on not doing it this way, you often only have to export as OBJ.  This removes all the figure rigging and *most* of the time will give you access to the separate props (just make them sub-props).

There are some occasions on which this won't work, in which case your tutorial is fine.
By gcshep - 7 Years Ago

The aim of the tutorial was to show how to convert props your two points are valid but not on this occasion. 

Thanks for the comments everyone.  
I just purchased Decimator from DAZ3d for $20.29 USD out the door (see below). I do have an RC membership and I used a $6 USD coupon.
This product has been sitting at $100 USD for a while.
Hopefully, this is a useful tip.
Best,
VBhttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ba5edbed-661a-4111-8622-080e.png
By Jfrog - 7 Years Ago
Yeah!  I bought decimator today too.  I also subscribed to the annual membership because with all the stuff I bought , the cost of the membership was just an extra $35.   
By vidi - 7 Years Ago
Keep in mind a decimator can only decimate the count of Polygons , but hard surface Modells like a House are many single welded Object, that can not decimate

eg a Wall can be only a single Face or a roof is made of many 4 sides cube .

A Cube that is made of 4 Polygons can
not reduce anymore* *thats is  Mathematically   impossible ,  outerwise you destroy it  of course .

Therefore a decimator is the right Choise for subdivision Modells , but a poor solution for Hardsurface Models like Building stuff
By Jfrog - 7 Years Ago
Thanks Vidi.  This is great information! 
Yes.  As a very general rule, I almost never have problems with polygon count (although I have Decimator I've never used it) but rather with textures.  For props faces aren't an issue (iClone can easily handle a million faces or more and without taking up much memory at all) -- I'm guessing that a character is what you need Decimator for.

For props the big issue is textures.  Most of the modern Daz stuff comes in with 4K textures, and not only diffuse but normal/bump, reflection and metallic maps.  Those add up quickly, and about 70% of the time the prop won't load into XChange (run out of memory).  In those cases I resample the textures using PS (there's an automated script that does this easily) and then reload the prop back into Daz and export out again.  Someone here said that Daz has a similar way of reducing textures but I don't know enough about Daz to know how to do that, nor do I particularly care since I can do it myself (and I really only care about iClone).

Now -- I'm loading major environments and big props.  Smaller things don't need this, as a rule.
By vidi - 7 Years Ago
DAZ has a great  Texturatlas tool  , that is a EZ Button that store all the huge Textures to one single sheet ,with a finger tip

Therefore People which  have not PS, no worry, that great function is allready  included in DAZ for free.  
By Jfrog - 7 Years Ago
Thank again for the tips Vidi and Kellytoons.  Exporting from DAZ to Iclone can be a bit challenging sometime and It's great to learn from experienced users.  For example I bought two new 3d models. They are named "system 46" and "system 50 for Genesis 3 female".  Those androids half robot and half human always split into 2 characters when imported in 3Dxchange. The motions can be applied on the human part but the robot part always stay on a t pose. Like the mesh (robot part) is not properly rig to the human part...Perhaps those models needs a little more work to make them compatible with Iclone.

I've had similar problems with a robot from Daz -- it was actually rigged on two skeletons, and I was never able to import properly.

As a rule the only thing I can do are environments and props -- I stay away from figures (but there are lots of experienced folks here who do use Daz figures).
By vidi - 7 Years Ago
- it was actually rigged on two skeletons, and I was never able to import properly.

Like say  say in other tread, maybe only  an mistake in the settings

Can you show the export setting ,  . If a DAZ Figures is waered as droid . it is like conforming Cloth rigged and need to  merge to one armture for 3D xchange .
By Space 3D - 7 Years Ago
Hai friends ,
Suggestions only.
Compared to import daz model, more easily import model from sketchup.
This case about building model.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit my gallery - https://city.reallusion.com/store/space3D
By Jfrog - 7 Years Ago
Can you show the export setting ,  . If a DAZ Figures is waered as droid . it is like conforming Cloth rigged and need to  merge to one armture for 3D xchange 

Here are some pictures Vidi. Like Kelleytoons said, It seems like the character is split into 2 skeletons when converting to a non standard character. I did not decimate or change any texture resolutiosn but I think this is a low polygone model.

Thank you for your Help!

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ae9eb0ca-4b8c-405d-9371-8a05.jpg
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/4e327114-fc95-43e7-9d70-2030.jpghttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/561c4111-4033-45c7-8249-20e2.jpghttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/502263bd-2fcc-4fef-a891-fca8.jpg
By paulg625 - 7 Years Ago
Looks like the suit is a prop. looking at the settings or what is it referring to the Geometry shell in the scene? Might try Turing on props see what happens when importing 
By Jfrog - 7 Years Ago
I tried with the Props export option enabled.  I then I  tried  with both the Props  and "convert clothing to static geometry "export options enabled with the same results.

Thank you.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/bc41416f-4885-486d-b52b-d84b.jpg

By gcshep - 7 Years Ago
How about converting the suit to a prop.

By gcshep - 7 Years Ago
How about converting the suit to a prop.

By Jfrog - 7 Years Ago
Are you talking about just the suit or the whole android?  If I turn the whole android into an object than I loose my facial motion capabilitie isn't it? I have no idea how to turn the suit into a prop and rig it to my character in iclone after.    Perhaps you can shed the light on how to do this...  Smile  

Thank you! 
By gcshep - 7 Years Ago
I did a tutorial early on how to convert to props.

By gcshep - 7 Years Ago
Hi I posted a question on DAZ forum below is the reply

The shell can't be converted to a prop as it needs to follow the changing shape of the base. You could try exporting as OBJ, then load and rig with the Transfer Utility, but I suspect you may be better off looking at the destination application to see what methods it offers for achieving a similar effect.

Not sure were to go from here have dig deeper .
By gcshep - 7 Years Ago
Hi update on system 46 issues received the following from DAZ forum and I have submitted a ticket to support watch this space.

Richard Haseltine 

The image isn't acceptable as it shows the nipples of the figure.

It's possible that this is a bug - the shell is clearly exporting, just no longer correctly fitting the figure (but I don't know if it still adjusts for posing). You may want to file a bug report (open a Technical Suport ticket). 

George
By Jfrog - 7 Years Ago
Hi update on system 46 issues received the following from DAZ forum and I have submitted a ticket to support watch this space.

Thank you very much gcshep.  This is 4 stars service!   Smile
By vidi - 7 Years Ago
Here are some pictures Vidi. Like Kelleytoons said, It seems like the character is split into 2 skeletons

In this case it is not a double skeletion, but a GeoShell
A Geoshell is like a Clone from the Figure Mesh but works like a Instance .
and do exactly the same like the master objekt , but can have others Materials .

That is an native function for DAZ and can not export with the usual way.

Here is the Workaround 
unparent the GeoShell 
Export the GeoShell as obj. (DAZ unit)
Import it back as obj 
now is it not longer more a Shell and can use like a prop
For to make it Conforming use the Transferutility Tool 

The source is the figure and the target it the new imported obj

Now you can export all as usual 
By rollasoc - 7 Years Ago
If it is any consolation, I tried exporting that exact figure last month, with exactly the same issues you are seeing.
Most frustrating.
By michael7 - 7 Years Ago
Off topic, that looks like the cabin in the Evil Dead movie.
Yeah, it reminded me of that.
Evil Dead 2 is one of my favorite horror movies of all time
By Jfrog - 7 Years Ago
Here is the Workaround

Thank you very much Vidi. I will try your workaround when I have a few minutes.  Smile

If it is any consolation, I tried exporting that exact figure last month, with exactly the same issues you are seeing.
Most frustrating.

Ya, now I feel I'm not alone!    Wink
By gcshep - 7 Years Ago
Hi Update from DAZ Support
(Thank you for sending me your export settings. Please note that I can not reproduce this when exporting and re-importing into DAZ Studio which shows us that the error happens when the product is loaded into iClone. Unfortunately, there's nothing that we can do. I apologise for the inconvenience.)

I tried Vidi suggestion but didn't have any success, so for me I will be very careful and read DAZ instructions i.e. make sure there is no GeoShell prompts that is unless someone has had success with the Vidi method if so would there be any chance you could share it with us.

Best  Regards
George  

By Jfrog - 7 Years Ago
Thank you cgshep and Vidi.  I think this is a little more tricky than I thought.  I will stay away from those Geoshell characters.     Wink
Since people mentioned Decimator last week.

Decimator is on sale today at $30.29

https://www.daz3d.com/decimator-for-daz-studio

Possibly can get even more off if, you buy an item in the anniversary sale.  (plus Hexagon and Bryce 7 Pro are $6 each)
Are Hexagon and Bryce useful. I don't know much about them.

Note: Both Bryce and Hexagon haven't been updated for ages.

Bryce is useful if you want to create your own terrains.  (https://www.bryce-tutorials.info/bryce-tutorials/create-high-resolution-terrains/).  (Adding roads to a terrain.   https://www.bryce-tutorials.info/bryce-tutorials/add-roads-terrain/)
I believe with Bryce Pro, you get a load of normal assets with it as well.  So for the price it is a steal.

Hexgon, I haven't really played with much, but bought it as a way of creating clothes for Daz characters, when I get around to it. (https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Hexagon+2.5+clothes)

By vidi - 7 Years Ago
With Hexagon you can modeleling , it is fast and easy ,also  is my main development Tool .  I love it. 
Here is a Demostration 

Your main modeler, Vidi?  So I assume it can export in at least OBJ, but does it do FBX?  How would you compare it to Blender (for modeling -- I realize Blender does a whole lot more).
By vidi - 7 Years Ago
Your main modeler, Vidi?  So I assume it can export in at least OBJ, but does it do FBX?  How would you compare it to Blender (for modeling -- I realize Blender does a whole lot more).

Yepp my main lovely Moddler .
FBX is only needed for rigged stuff  , but in this case I use the Hexagon DAZ Studio Bridge with  the outstanding CCT (contentCreatorTool )  for create my own Character . And no I do not mean  I use the premade DAZ Dolls.
DAZ Studio has professional Development Tools under the Hood and the best wheightbrush ever   

if Blender can more in respect to Content development , you can say me what  I missed ? 
For $6 it's worth it to me to buy it even if I never use it (or only use it for some small things -- Blender kind of drives me crazy at times).
By gcshep - 7 Years Ago

Just purchased Hexagon and found 26 short tutorials on the very basics which might help anyone new to it these might help you to get up and going with the software.

I am having problems with the Documentation/Tutorial linksunder the help tab is there anyone else experiencing the same issue.

A big thank you to Vidi for sharing the tutorial.

Best Regards

George  

By vidi - 7 Years Ago
Here is the manual
http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/public/software/hexagon/2/userguide/hexagon_manual_us.pdf
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyhW1xnP-jn_UnFboSTp5VA/playlists
By gcshep - 7 Years Ago

Thank you Vidi

Much appreciated 

By ktbaldwin21 - 5 Years Ago
Kelleytoons (9/28/2017)
No problem -- I'm doing a LOT of this so it's on my mind.

I also bought the Cabin in the woods pack (was thinking about some Halloween type things) but haven't gotten around to importing it into iClone (so much software, so little time).  If you run into any problems let me know and I'll see what I can do about it.

I am experiencing the same issue.  So much software so little time.  Being relatively new to 3D maybe 8 months into DAZ - just beginning with iClone 7, CC3, 3DeXchange, I felt I had accomplished a great victory yesterday when I successfully exported Daz Gen 3 and Gen 8 Male and Female custom charachters based off existing into iClone with the facial morphs loaded and they all worked. Be it, this wasn't my first attempt, it's hard to tell what attempt it was, but once accomplished it doesn't matter.  It's awesome and the quality is great.

Now I'm in this thread seeking out how to create the rest of my scene.  Going through the available options of content available in the marketplace, it's not the style or quality I want in my scene, so I want to export the Daz scene I have in mind and was wondering if you have any tips now, since it's been nearly 2 years since this thread started I am hoping that the textures will come over.  My eyes are about to pop out of my head from the late nights.  Honestly, it's not that hard once you know what to do, but when you haven't done it....you don't know what you don't know, so you are right, the only way to find out is to try, and keep trying until you find out.  

Regards,

KTB
By Kelleytoons - 5 Years Ago
I have some tutorials about this on my YouTube channel -- in general, you want to export from Daz as OBJ unless there are compelling reasons not to do so (because you then have more latitude if your set contains parts that need to be subprops).  My tutorials show what to do and how to overcome texture issues (it depends on the set but you will NEVER have a problem with too many polygons, only too large texture sizes, and my tools will fix this).

If you run into problems let me know.