Tracking FPS really low!

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic343142.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By jairo.assis - 7 Years Ago
Hey guys, I am evaluating the Faceware Realtime plugin for iClone for my company, and even though I am getting around 60 FPS from my webcam, the Tracking FPS is stuck between 12 - 19 FPS. I believe this might be the reason why I am not able to get good mouth movement on my test character. Has anyone been able to get higher tracking FPS? Thanks! Smile

My rig's specs are:

Intel i7-5820k
64GB of DDR4 RAM
512 SSD Drive
NVidia GTX 1080

By Kelleytoons - 7 Years Ago
First of all, try turning Optimization on.  This will reduce the resolution to 640x320, which is plenty (if you can do it at your netcam all the better).  I believe it's Control-O to do this without going to the menu, but you can find this on the menu as well.

If that doesn't increase your tracking rates them I'm a little stumped -- I can routinely get 60-65fps without even trying.
Hi Kellytoons, thanks for the reply. I did some more testing and I do get around 60 FPS when the Faceware Realtime for Icone launches. But after around 4 minutes the frame rates start to drop. I've been running this for about 10 mins and it is now at 20 FPS. After I restarted the plugin it was at 60 FPS. I tried activating the optimization, but after a while, the frames still dropped down to 20 FPS. Could this plugin have some kind of memory leak? If you leave yours running does the FPS start dropping after a while? Thanks! Smile
By Rampa - 7 Years Ago
The video feeding into it may make a difference. It seems that standard definition is enough, in most cases anyway. The optimization conversion may be effecting the rate. If you use vertical video, you might be able to go with 240 by 320 if your face fills the whole screen.
Four minutes is a long time -- because if I DO use the webcam I'm going to record mode I wouldn't leave it like this.  Let me try for a second in preview mode...

Okay, I just tried it for five or six minutes, with 60+ for all those minutes.  Now, remember that you will need to recalibrate from time to time (the demo recommends at least every minute or so).  The calibration will slowly drift off if you don't (the head up and down). so perhaps that's one of your problems.  Try hitting the recalibrate at least once every two minutes and see if that doesn't help.

If it doesn't -- either your computer ain't so good (I'm doing on this on a really old computer that, although a quad i7, was bought about four years ago which is ancient in terms of computers.  It also only has 16gb of core memory).    Do remember, though, that even the best computers need to be running *nothing* else (although I was running Chrome and my email server in the background -- nothing else).

Or perhaps the demo is just hosed.  Can't comment there.
Since Rampa wrote while I was typing, let me state I'm using the Logitech 922x, at 1270x1080 or so (can't remember what the other resolution is).  The Logitech is known to be one of the best webcam for this purpose (still have to turn off the low-light compensation every time I use this -- haven't figured a way to keep that as the default).
Ok, so I think the problem might be with my WebCam. The problem was happening when I originally tested with my Logitech Brio webcam. So I tested it again with my older 1080p logitech webcam for 20 mins, and to my surprise the FPS did not drop. It maintained a steady 30 FPS (that is the max this old webcam can do). So I am thinking that it might be that it just doesn't like my Brio. I don't know why it would have a problem with the newer WebCam though. It's not like I tried to capture the video at 4k. All of my tests were at 640x480 with both webcams. Who knows!... Anyway, thanks for your input guys! BigGrin
The Brio has actually gotten some pretty bad reviews.  But before you give up on it -- make sure you have turned low-light compensation off (you can find this in the Logitech Gaming Software for your webcam -- it is NOT in the Logitech Webcam software, confusingly enough).  This usually helps a LOT!  (And if it does help you, make sure you let others here know).
By Strombilder - 7 Years Ago
Thanks for the hint, it really helped me. I have a Logitech 922 and it appeared to work just by plugging it in, but the frame rate in Faceware was limited to 30 fps. After reading your post, I downloaded and installed the 2 pieces of Software, chose the recommended settings -- and things look much better now. Setting the flicker suppression frequency from the default 60 Hz to the 50 hz we have here in Germany may have helped, too (image looks more stable now).

Thanks again,
Soeren

Glad I could help.
By Jfrog - 7 Years Ago
I don't have any problem reaching 90 fps with my Brio.  But I have many windows and a lots of lights.  To be able to track at night, I would  have to add some overhead lights when there is no more light from outside because bad lighting conditions is one of the main reason for average FPS.
Hi Jfrog, thanks for the reply. When you say that you can get 90FPS, are you talking about the camera's FPS or Tracking FPS? The face ware capture windows reports both. My camera's FPS is fine. It's the tracking FPS that is low. And keeps getting lower as time goes on.

I tried this with a couple of cameras. I left the application running overnight, and in the morning my tracking FPS was down to 1 FPS. I think that the Faceware code doesn't dispose of previous data. So the longer you record, the lower your FPS becomes. I can't say it for sure though. 
Again I would ask the OP as well as you, JFrog, whether you've turned off low-light compensation.  Turning this off *should* allow you both high FPS as well as not needing as much light.

It's a bit counterintuitive, but the low-light mechanism (available only through the Logitech gaming system -- it's on by default on these facecams and cannot be turned off with the Logitech facecam software) actually makes things worse in terms of light needed for capture.  WIth only one rather ill-positioned room light, I'm able to easily get 60fps with this turned off -- with it on the lighting is much more even but I can't get more than 30, if that.  And it's particularly important NOT to have light coming from behind you, JFrog, so your room might not be set up right (I'm not knocking you getting 90fps, only that you might be able to get it at night with a better setup).

I'd love to know if the OP turned this off and got better captures.  I don't see any dropoff as he mentions, so either his hardware is bad or perhaps the demo is crippled further.
By Jfrog - 7 Years Ago
Again I would ask the OP as well as you, JFrog, whether you've turned off low-light compensation.  Turning this off *should* allow you both high FPS as well as not needing as much light.

In my case, no I didn't not turn this off, In fact I have no idea where to turn that low-light compensation feature off.   Wink
I will try to turn it off at night to see the difference, if I can find where the feature  is located.
As I said, you will need the Logitech Gaming Software to do this.  Download from Logitech's site and install.  It will see your webcam, and you can click and go to "Advanced" settings where you can turn it off.

I have to do this each and every time (so it's a PITA) but it works a treat.  Pity there's no way to set this as a default, though (a LOT of folks have complained to Logitech about this).
Yeah, it shouldn't be my computer. It's a fairly beefy computer.

Intel i7-5820k (water cooled 6 core running at 4.3Ghz),
64GB of DDR4 RAM, 
512 SSD Drive
nVidia GTX 1080

I will download the gaming app tonight when I get back to town and let you guys know. Smile
By Jfrog - 7 Years Ago
As I said, you will need the Logitech Gaming Software to do this.

I will definitely download the software. Thank you Kellytoons!

When you say that you can get 90FPS, are you talking about the camera's FPS or Tracking FPS?

Both!   please see attached picture
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/cc244182-bfb0-4ec0-bf38-f276.jpg

By raxel_67 - 7 Years Ago
Another thing to try is updating your usb controller drivers if possible, and try connecting the camera to a different usb port,preferably one that isn't shared with anything else, if using a desktop, try connecting it to one of the ports in the back, just to rule out possible hardware related issues or driver issues
Jfrog (9/29/2017)
As I said, you will need the Logitech Gaming Software to do this.

I will. Thank you Kellytoons!

When you say that you can get 90FPS, are you talking about the camera's FPS or Tracking FPS?

Both!   please see attached picture
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/cc244182-bfb0-4ec0-bf38-f276.jpg

Cool that you're getting that rate with so much light coming from behind you.  That's usually a big issue, so the Brio is definitely performing well there.

I'll be curious to see how your nighttime performance goes once you turn off low-light.
By Jfrog - 7 Years Ago
I'll be curious to see how your nighttime performance goes once you turn off low-light.

Yes me too. Tonight isn't the best time to try it, but I will keep you updated.
Thank you
By Jfrog - 7 Years Ago
Another thing to try is updating your usb controller drivers if possible, and try connecting the camera to a different usb port,preferably one that isn't shared with anything else, if using a desktop, try connecting it to one of the ports in the back, just to rule out possible hardware related issues or driver issues

Yes this is really important. If I would be troubleshooting the fps issue, I would certainly start by unplugging all USB 3 port devices that are not necessary for the test. I would try to get the fps I need first (with all the tips shared here by Kellytoons and others), than I would plug each usb composant one at a time to see if one of them, is eating the USB bandwidth.
Ok, so I tried turning the Low Light Compensation off, turning the HDR off, and changing my USB port and still no dice. The max I am getting is around 45FPS.  
So, the problem seems to be my USB drivers. Out of desperation I reinstalled all of my drivers and plugged the camera into my USB-C port. That gave me 90FPS. YAY!....

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/8017860e-e882-43eb-8fcd-8fa6.jpg 

Ps. Enabling Optimization was key to getting 90FPS. Without it I was only averaging 70FPS.

Thanks for all of the help guys! BigGrin

By Jfrog - 7 Years Ago
I am glad you get the 90 fps.

Ps. Enabling Optimization was key to getting 90FPS. Without it I was only averaging 70FPS.

At 1280 x 720, I get around 75 to 77 fps, so I always enable optimization to get 90 fps at 640 x 360, this not a problem since Faceware does not care about the resolution.