Tutorials & Examples from 3Dtest

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic342494.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By SeanMac - 7 Years Ago
I recommend the 3Dtest Youtube tutorials

iClone Faceware Facial Mocap Tutorial - Intro of iClone Facial MocapPlugin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SCvpEMEZu0

Excellent demo of possibilities from a master hand.

iCloneFaceware Facial Mocap Tutorial - Headcams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNShqaKPU6I

iCloneFaceware Facial Mocap Tutorial - Facial Mocap for Lipsync

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucHFPh5cBnc

iCloneFaceware Facial Mocap Tutorial - Facial Mocap Real Practice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOCOmTMBT4Q&t=2s

Sean

By paulg625 - 7 Years Ago
Thanks for the info, will check out today...
By theschemer - 7 Years Ago
All the tutorials can also be accessed from the Grand Launch page here:

https://mocap.reallusion.com/iClone-faceware-mocap/tutorial.html
By freerange - 7 Years Ago
Two things to be aware of when watching this. Characters have a HUGE impact on the performance. The closer the Character is to the performer the more natural it will look. With stylized characters like they show in the demo you might have to tweak the influence sliders to ramp up or down certain blend shapes. 

Lip stick can help with lip tracking. also having a good 5-10 second of neutral face before staring face performance has a massive impact on tracking. 

That said, these demos look very good!
By SeanMac - 7 Years Ago
@schemer. Thanks for that. At time of posting there was no launch page.

By Kelleytoons - 7 Years Ago
freerange (9/22/2017)
also having a good 5-10 second of neutral face before staring face performance has a massive impact on tracking. 

I'm curious about this comment.  I realize it's good to get a neutral face capture, and having enough time to do so is important, but since the capture button works more or less instantly why would having 5-10 seconds be any better than, say, 1-2 seconds where you can actually capture it?  This is particularly important to me as I'm using recorded sequences, and I find I can get the neutral face capture with just pausing the video and doing the reference with it paused at a key spot -- am I missing something by not having the video play through?  (I'm using a virtual webcam).

You method probably works just as well since you are pausing on the neutral face. For live streaming capture though we found in our test to giving it it a bit of neutral face at the beginning before going into the performance had a large impact on performance. A few seconds is probably enough but 5 or so pretty much guarantees face lock on. 

All it needs is a solid neutral reference to get started so with your method and pausing on a neutral face frame you are giving it good solid reference. 

even lighting helps a lot, the camera looking very slightly up at the face vs direct on or down also helps (you see this on all helmet cams), a little lipstick helps if you have lip color that is close to your skin color and if you want to go hog wild, even though it is a marker less system you can use markers. 
By SeanMac - 7 Years Ago
@Free Range. Lipstick? Oh Jeez, Free range! Thank God for On-line purchase.
Well, YMMV, but I haven't found it to be at all necessary.

(And this old guy's not about to start experimenting -- I swore the last time I was on stage that it was the last time I'd ever put makeup on, and that was over 20 years ago).
Haha, it really depends on the color of your lips. Some people have lip color that is pretty close to their skin color. It is all about contrast. If you have low contrast lips you will probably need makeup. If it makes you feel better most high-end face tracking uses makeup including lipstick (usually luminous) including ILM, Digital Domain, some Weta.
By animagic - 7 Years Ago
A grey beard helps too...Tongue
Yeah, I'm going to guess my facial hair goes a long way towards delineating where my mouth is (that's my story and I'm sticking to it, because if my wife comes home and finds me in her lipstick... well, let's just say it won't be a pretty sight).
Just remember, the panty hose is optional but raises the FPS by about 10. Tongue
By Rampa - 7 Years Ago
It is getting towards Halloween, so plenty of unusual colors available now.
theschemer (9/28/2017)
Just remember, the panty hose is optional but raises the FPS by about 10. Tongue

It certainly raises my voice by about 10 notes.
Kelleytoons (9/28/2017)
theschemer (9/28/2017)

It certainly raises my voice by about 10 notes.

Tongue I broke a heel today when trying out some other light settings in my room. BigGrin Actually I am waiting on my head gear to arrive so I can get better tracking as my lighting in my small room is gonna take some figuring out.

I don't remember -- what webcam are you using?

With the Logitech webcams you need to disable low-light but once you do you can get 60fps with almost ANY lighting (even just a casual light ill-positioned works fine for me).
I am using the Logitech C922x. I have a bookshelf behind me so it is a menagerie of different objects and colors besides my face. And the ceiling light is almost directly above me but to the left by a couple of feet and a foot back. And the glare from my monitor shines off of my reading glasses and shows on the faceware image on the screen. So I need to dial it in somehow. If I shut off the light it is too dark and the glare persists and during the day with the window drapes open on the window in front of and to the left of the monitor is the best so far. I will need to add another light behind the monitor I think.
Did you turn low-light compensation off?  (You will need to load the Logitech Gaming software to do this, as the Logitech camera software will not).  With this off on my 922x I can get 60fps without a good light at all (I just have a light off to the side that lights about half of my face, but the tracking is perfect).
Kelleytoons (9/30/2017)
Did you turn low-light compensation off?  (You will need to load the Logitech Gaming software to do this, as the Logitech camera software will not).  With this off on my 922x I can get 60fps without a good light at all (I just have a light off to the side that lights about half of my face, but the tracking is perfect).

Yeah, I turned off low light compensation. I already had the gaming software on my pc but updated it to the latest version to get support for the C922x. Of course that took out my performance monitor on my G510 keyboard so I called Logitech and the support guy I had was useless. I told him about my performance monitor and he said "that's weird" although many people have complained that updating the gaming software has taken out the performance monitor. I found a free program named "TaskbarMeters v1.1" and it takes care of that issue. I also told him the software for the camera does not have all the switches we need and he said just download the software from the downloads page blah blah blah and try reinstalling the gaming software. And then he said "Is there anything else I could help you with today"? Hehe

I think my glare on my readers needs to be corrected and that is due to my lighting. Do they make glare free readers?? I need to find the proper light that I can put on the wall above and behind my monitor. Some kind of LED light I am thinking. Need to search for the best option. Anybody know of one?

We just used cheap LED desk lamps and kept the room lighting darkened. 
freerange (9/30/2017)
We just used cheap LED desk lamps and kept the room lighting darkened. 

I will look into those as I do have some desk space left.
Thanks,
schemer

By SeanMac - 7 Years Ago
Re Lighting.
You might try daylight bulbs in your desk lamps. These have more blue in them than standard bulbs and it does seem to make a big difference.

Home Built in Coolermaster ATX case with GigabyteGA-Z170X-GAMING 7 MoBo, i7-6700 @ 3.4 Ghz, Asus GeForce GTX 970 Graphics Card, 32GbDDR4 RAM, 4K & HD monitors, Huion H610 Pro Graphics Tablet, Kinect v2, Logitech920 Webcam, Win 10 64 Bit OS

By SeanMac - 7 Years Ago
Re Lighting.
You might try daylight bulbs in your desk lamps. These have more blue in them than standard bulbs and it does seem to make a big difference.

Home Built in Coolermaster ATX case with GigabyteGA-Z170X-GAMING 7 MoBo, i7-6700 @ 3.4 Ghz, Asus GeForce GTX 970 Graphics Card, 32GbDDR4 RAM, 4K & HD monitors, Huion H610 Pro Graphics Tablet, Kinect v2, Logitech920 Webcam, Win 10 64 Bit OS