Exporting with Transparent Background

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic334449.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By madisonw - 7 Years Ago
I am trying to export a character animation with a transparent background to use in my training courses. I have tried several different work-arounds to try to get a transparent background, but haven't had any luck. Here's what I have tried so far:
  • Export as AVI file with green screen, remove in video editing software.
  • Export as popVideo file, remove background.
  • Export as PNG sequence.
All of these options export with a background which I am able to remove with secondary software (popVideo or other video editing program), but when I render and export the video out of the secondary program it always has a background again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
By RicksWorks - 7 Years Ago
This is a major function that I thought for sure would be a standard export option by now.

Please Dev's, give us transparent bg export.
By propose - 7 Years Ago
Have you tried Hitfilm?  Works for me!
By RicksWorks - 7 Years Ago
I tried HitFilm a long time ago, but I have a subscription to Adobe CC.
By garylearntech - 7 Years Ago
Well, I've done it successfully on my Mac version, so I'd be astonished if you can't do it on your Windows version.  (From memory, I had to choose the "Apple ProRes 4444" video codec.)  The output formats are different on the Mac version, but the one common feature I wonder if you've missed – I missed it initially – is to turn off the Render Hidden Objects checkbox.  (I had been using a placeholder for positional work, which I merely hid once I was finished.  It was still exported.)

In case you've missed it and it might help you, the manual has this to say about exporting.  
By Peter (RL) - 7 Years Ago
madisonw (7/20/2017)
I am trying to export a character animation with a transparent background to use in my training courses. I have tried several different work-arounds to try to get a transparent background, but haven't had any luck. Here's what I have tried so far:
  • Export as AVI file with green screen, remove in video editing software.
  • Export as popVideo file, remove background.
  • Export as PNG sequence.
All of these options export with a background which I am able to remove with secondary software (popVideo or other video editing program), but when I render and export the video out of the secondary program it always has a background again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

I don't really understand the problem you are having. If you are on a PC you can export Sequence Image PNG and you will get a transparent background. Obviously if you include a background in your scene then this will be rendered too. Try with a new project and just add a character. Then give the character an animation and render to Sequence Image PNG. You will find all the sequence images have a transparent background.
By shayeryan - 6 Years Ago
I'm having the same problem and these are my settings.

Rendering to PNG, AVI, hidden objects unchecked. The only thing in my scene is a single character according to the the scene manager but I still get a grey background every time I render.

Why?
By kylelee - 6 Years Ago
Hi, You can refer this video to remove your background.
Crazytalk animator & After Effects
Another way is export sequence PNG Images in the external video editor.
Thanks for the reply but that didn't really solve anything. That video is so fast I can hardly tell what's going on.

At about min 3:30 he has the MOV file in after effects and using a plugin called key light that does something to the background and makes it go away. Now what??

Also, I am using an external editor, Premiere. Here is how it looks when I drop the video into the timeline.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/dba1b19c-88e5-4169-aeb0-8c2f.png
By theschemer - 6 Years Ago
You can always try the FREE TRIAL of Pop Video.

https://www.reallusion.com/popvideo/download.html

https://www.reallusion.com/store/product.html?l=1&p=pv
I ended up using the built in Ultra Key Effect (green screen) that comes with Premiere. Lots of tutorials on how to use this. Make sure you add a solid color behind your animation and don't leave the default grey or won't work.