iClone project won't render with Popvideo Plane...

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic325112.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Labape - 7 Years Ago
Hey, I have kind of a weird issue I'm wondering if anyone has any advice.  I have a project I have created in iClone 6, that features a Plane with a transparent image (1 frame video) I rendered in PopVideo and imported.  The scene is pretty simple, 1000 frames, a 2d Background, 3 props, 3 Motion Paths, and the Plane with the Popvideo on it.  No lighting, no particle effetcs, etc. 

When I attempt to render the final video, the software just hangs on frame 0 and will not render.  If I click on the software durring this process it crashes.   

If I go back into my project and remove that Plane with the Pop Video, it renders quick and easy.  If I put that plane back in, same result every time.  

Anyone have any thoughts or advice o n why that Pop Video plane would keep my project from rendering?

I'm running Win7 64 on a i7 processor with 16gb of Ram and a GTX 1050 2GB video card. Rendering the Video to a non-system 7200rpm HDD If any of that info helps.   
By Kelleytoons - 7 Years Ago
Don't know but I do know how I'd troubleshoot.

First I would load up a popVideo that I knew worked (I assume you've used PV before, since you have the program, so you've made others that work for you).  Assuming IT worked in that project then I would know it had something to do with the video (the flip side, which I'd also do, is load up that PV file in a brand new empty project just to make sure it still crashed that).

If you then know it's the video I'd try remaking it, perhaps with more than one frame and a different size (perhaps the same size as one that works).  In this way I could figure out if it's something to do with the source fed into PV to create that video (I'd also try another source fed into PV and create the same single frame and size).

Only by doing these things can you truly track down what it is that's the problem.
By Labape - 7 Years Ago
So, this is actually my first pop video... I've only had my software for just over a week... but trying it in a fresh project is a great idea.  I'll probably create a second video as well and see what that does in this current project.  Thanks!

Let me know -- I just bought PopVideo today after experimenting with the trial and will be using it a lot (I have all kinds of alpha-rendered FX I use in After Effects I'm going to convert).  If nothing more I'll be glad to test out something you have that isn't working for you.
By Labape - 7 Years Ago
Ok, I tried to create a surface with the Popvideo in a new project... same issue.  Just hangs and wont render.  So I created a new pop video and tried again, and got the same results with that video as well.  If I removed the texture from the plane and leave it blank, everything renders!  So it has to be a pop video issue, right?

Certainly seems that way.  What are you using to create your PopVideo (what kind of file)?  And how big are you creating it?  (Note you can also use "Use Preview Resolution" in order to get it smaller).

In my (very) preliminary tests everything works just fine so I'm guessing the problem is not necessarily with PopVideo but with your system per se (maybe you're not using an NVidia card or some such).  If you want to attack a tiny PopVideo here I can test it out on my systems.
Oh, and be sure you have the latest iClone version (I think for 6 is something like 6.53, although I don't have it installed on my system anymore).
By Labape - 7 Years Ago
Well, the Original file was a still image that I wanted to make the green background transparent on, so it was a .PNG  The second file I used was just a pre keyed .MOV effect from Footagecrate

I have 6.53.3511.1 and an Nvidea Gforce GTX1050

By Labape - 7 Years Ago
Given the testing I have done, I'm wondering now if I am doing something wrong when I import these clips into iClone.  Like I said above I am pretty new to this.  What I have done is created a Plane from the Prop>3dSurface folder in the content tab, then in the Modify Window, under texture, I am dropping my Pop Video on the plane.  

Is that correct?
Yeah, sounds like it *should* work (but if you want to post that PNG I'd be glad to test it).

Another thing you can try is once your PV file is in there on the billboard you can select the billboard, go to material, and choose another file for the diffuse and opacity (this wouldn't be a bad idea to do each one separately -- use just a regular plain image and try it for each).
Oh, sorry, cross-posted.  So you're not using these as a billboard?

You *can* put these on planes (or any other surface, for that matter) but the accepted way is to create a "billboard" (which is just a one-sided plane meant specifically for this kind of thing).  It also has an option to face the camera always (which is a good thing for billboards and in general will be how to use it -- there are *times* you don't want this but not often).

By Labape - 7 Years Ago
Kelleytoons (5/3/2017)
Oh, sorry, cross-posted.  So you're not using these as a billboard?

You *can* put these on planes (or any other surface, for that matter) but the accepted way is to create a "billboard" (which is just a one-sided plane meant specifically for this kind of thing).  It also has an option to face the camera always (which is a good thing for billboards and in general will be how to use it -- there are *times* you don't want this but not often).

Let me give that a shot.

By Labape - 7 Years Ago
Nope. Deleted the Plane and replaced it with a Billboard.  Same issue  Here is the .PNG I am playing with:https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/fb2911ec-c1f9-4ad2-84c9-8c50.png
Well, that worked for me so I'm kinda stumped.  You might want to open up an RL ticket and see what they have to say.  If I think of anything else I'll let you know (off to bed right now).
By Labape - 7 Years Ago
Thanks for all your suggestions! 

By Labape - 7 Years Ago
Well, I opened a case with Support... the response I got was basically "Why the Heck are you trying to do that?"  So that wasn't much help.   *shrug*  I'm at a loss... and Im afraid this software, as awesome as it is, won't do what I needed it to do, at least not for me. 

By Labape - 7 Years Ago
Well, I opened a case with Support... the response I got was basically "Why the Heck are you trying to do that?"  So that wasn't much help.   *shrug*  I'm at a loss... and Im afraid this software, as awesome as it is, won't do what I needed it to do, at least not for me. 

"Why are you trying to do this?"  Do what?  Are they puzzled because your file is only one frame long?  Really shouldn't matter one way or the other (and it *does* work for me).

If you PM me I'll give you my email and can send you a PopVideo sample for you to try that works for me -- at least that would narrow down the issues (you can also send me the PopVideo you end up producing).  This shouldn't be this hard to fix.
"Why are you trying to do this?"  Do what?  Are they puzzled because your file is only one frame long?  Really shouldn't matter one way or the other (and it *does* work for me).

If you PM me I'll give you my email and can send you a PopVideo sample for you to try that works for me -- at least that would narrow down the issues (you can also send me the PopVideo you end up producing).  This shouldn't be this hard to fix.
By Labape - 7 Years Ago
Yes they are puzzled why I would create a 1 frame video.  My answer was because I could and because I was testing Pop Video.  The Pop Video you sent me failed as well.  HOWEVER... I took one of my Avatars and animated him in front of a green 2d background.  Rendered that as an AVI, Imported that into Pop Video and then Imported that Pop Video onto a Billboard and iClone Rendered it!  So I did a successfull render.  But why these other videos are not working,  (both those stills, and 1 motion clip) is driving me crazy.  Especially since Its working for you!  Ive tried multiple projects as well...  I'm really at a loss.
By Rampa - 7 Years Ago
Have you tried r-click dragging the video file into iClone? That will give you an option on how to load it.

Does Pop Video export with an alpha map (transparent background), or just the green background?
This this PopVideo file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ku3bh3hkknxlwqw/Imperial%20Cruiser.popVideo?dl=0

And do what Rampa suggests.
By Labape - 7 Years Ago
Rampa (5/4/2017)
Have you tried r-click dragging the video file into iClone? That will give you an option on how to load it.

No... only left click dragging.  I'll give that a shot tonite.

Rampa (5/4/2017)
Does Pop Video export with an alpha map (transparent background), or just the green background?

Transparent.  

Kelleytoons (5/4/2017)
This this PopVideo file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ku3bh3hkknxlwqw/Imperial%20Cruiser.popVideo?dl=0

And do what Rampa suggests.

Ok, I'll give it a shot tonite... 

I'm also considering dragging my original image into Sony Vegas, rendering it as a 2 frame video and trying again, to see if my system just doesnt like the single frame videos.  I did find a bunch of old support questions from iClone 4 that had this exact issue, but the only answer I could seem to find was to render the pop video in the same video resolution as the iClone project.  I tried that.  No Luck.  

Im encouraged tho that I was able to at least get 1 project in iClone containing a Pop Video to Render, however.

Also, just for the heck of it, (ok because it gave me an excuse) I upgraded my video card to a 4 gig GTX1050 and that didnt solve my issue.  (Not that I expected it would, but I had to justify the expense somehow... )
By Forum Admin (RL) - 7 Years Ago
Labape (5/2/2017)
Hey, I have kind of a weird issue I'm wondering if anyone has any advice.  I have a project I have created in iClone 6, that features a Plane with a transparent image (1 frame video) I rendered in PopVideo and imported.  The scene is pretty simple, 1000 frames, a 2d Background, 3 props, 3 Motion Paths, and the Plane with the Popvideo on it.  No lighting, no particle effetcs, etc. 

When I attempt to render the final video, the software just hangs on frame 0 and will not render.  If I click on the software durring this process it crashes.   

If I go back into my project and remove that Plane with the Pop Video, it renders quick and easy.  If I put that plane back in, same result every time.  

Anyone have any thoughts or advice o n why that Pop Video plane would keep my project from rendering?

I'm running Win7 64 on a i7 processor with 16gb of Ram and a GTX 1050 2GB video card. Rendering the Video to a non-system 7200rpm HDD If any of that info helps.   

Have you tried to render in all video formats (AVI, WMV, MP4). Does iClone crash with all formats or just one? If only one it could be a codec issue.
By Labape - 7 Years Ago
Ive tried MP4 and AVI.  I considered it could be a codec issue with MP4 (I have the KLight Codec pack tho, and that ususally covers it) but the AVI should have rendered.  Also I was able to render MP4 with the iClone to Pop Video to iClone test I did, so... 
By Am7add9 - 7 Years Ago

a avi or wmv file will work
if you need opacity use the color black
as your BG and add the video to opacity channel too.

I'm a little confused (my normal state of mind): you DID get one to render, right? So it's just one particular PopVideo that doesn't work for you?

The sample I posted is only 1 frame, so if that works for you it shouldn't be that (and it really shouldn't anyway).  Also, though, I never tried rendering a movie (I never do that -- when I do animations I render single frames and bring them together in a video editor -- all good animations should be done this way, although for a quick test there's nothing wrong with rendering to a codec).  So that's something else you can try --just render the current frame (and if THAT doesn't work, try a quick preview of the frame).

If you are still having problems with that one particular PopVideo you can post it and let others give it a try.
By Labape - 7 Years Ago
Kelleytoons (5/5/2017)
I'm a little confused (my normal state of mind): you DID get one to render, right? So it's just one particular PopVideo that doesn't work for you?

Yes, I did get one to render, however, its not just that file I posted that wouldn't render.  That one, the one you sent me, and a small visual effect video I got from an FX library I am a member of all caused iCLone to hang and then crash once I created a pop video from them and imprted them onto a plane or Billboard.  The one I was successful with was created in iClone, exported to pop video and back into iClone.  Reallusion support now says the issue is something specific to my system (I think I have determined that, since others have been able to use my file) or the Source Format...  but, since its working for others, I think its probably system specific.  I just cant for the life of me figure out what.  I sent them my DXDIAG report.  Ive since upgraded my video card, and I'm upgrading my system to 32gb of ram... not that I expect that those were the culprit.  It's weird... I dunno.   

The file I sent you was already a PopVideo so you shouldn't have had to do anything other than to drag it over.

But let's say it still didn't work for you.  Can you render out a single frame?  IOW, is it just a video format that's causing problems?  If so, I'd make sure I downloaded the latest codecs from here:

https://www.codecguide.com/download_k-lite_codec_pack_basic.htm

And after rebooting see if this doesn't make things work better for you.
By Labape - 7 Years Ago
I updated my klite codec pack yesterday.  Same results. 
By Labape - 7 Years Ago
So just for the heck of it, I took my image, Imported it into Sony Vegas and rendered it as an AVI with several frames.  Imported that into Pop Video and made a transparent MP4, Imported that into iClone, and that rendered in iClone.  It's weird.  It seems pretty hit or miss at this point.