Print Topic | Close Window

By jmusa - 7 Years Ago
Iclone 7 Python Scripting

Did anyone have 
documentation for Iclone 7 Python Scripting

Did any one have idea about this
Help me out

By wires - 7 Years Ago
iClone 7 is still in Beta and there has been no information provided to anyone regarding any sort of scripting at the moment. I wouldn't expect anything until after the public release.
By justaviking - 7 Years Ago

API scripting is promised for "7" but won't be in 7.0.
Maybe 7.1, or 7.2, or  7.3, or 7.4... we don't know.
Same story for the curve editor.

By sirmaindia - 7 Years Ago
Hi
How python scripting Helps in Iclone7 ?
Will it work for Games development from Iclone7 with pyhon scripting

Pl respond
Thanks
By Kelleytoons - 7 Years Ago
We don't really know, yet, and only RL will know until 7.1 with Python is released.  We can *hope* that they expose enough of the internals so that a whole lot of things can be done, and I suspect at the very least we'll be able to script things that will help nearly everyone in their use of iClone.

Patience -- hopefully we have no more than a month or two to wait.
By kosir.milan - 6 Years Ago
Hi, 
I've been out of this last few years, so please forgive me if I ask something stupid Smile
I've see iClone 7.0 What's New page with Python Scripting announced.
Now it is 7.2 as far as I know. Is Python Scripting awailable in iClone?
Is there any help, API, etc? Thanks in advance for any reply!
By Kelleytoons - 6 Years Ago
No Python scripting yet -- we can only hope it will come soon.
@jmusa thanks for the reply. Sorry to hear that. I really don't know what is the point of announcing python scripting more than a year ago and then not delivering it. If Reallusion gave up on it, I would expect the company to apologize to users who were/are expecting the announced feature.
Well, it should be soon.  That's not the biggest disappointment.  The biggest disappointment is it won't expose much of the iClone interface, so you won't be able to do much more with it than move things around.  Not that that won't be useful, but nowhere near as useful as, say, Python is in Blender.

For the next year or two I'd basically forget Python for iClone.  Perhaps in a few years they will release something very significant.
@Kelleytoons thanks for insider knowledge, this is worse than what I was expecting... I have a feeling that I've been waiting for scripting in iClone for ages, first time I suggested it is now 6 years ago: https://forum.reallusion.com/121684/My-dream-previz-tool
I must admit that iClone compared to that time is now a super modern and capable tool and I also know that you can never make all users happy.
So I will check next year probably... 

Well, if I understand you correctly when you asked for scripting, you may well be able to do at least some of what you want.  When I say "move things around" from what RL is telling us it seems like we'll have positional, rotational and sizing controls.  So if you mean not having to do a lot of that manually you will be able to script that.

But, yes, you will be disappointed compared to Max, even Max a decade ago (back when I wrote tools for it that eventually became part of that interface).  I didn't expect they would expose it all, not like Blender, but I thought we'd get at least some significant Python scripting and to learn it will be minimal is a huge disappointment to me personally (I have three or four tools I could create for iClone today that would be features a lot of users would even buy the program to have).  But -- it is what it is.  And I don't think I'll live long enough to see that kind of power (I'm pretty old) but perhaps you will.
By animagic - 6 Years Ago
For what it is worth, there is this interesting invitation at the bottom of: https://mocap.reallusion.com/iclone-motion-live-mocap/:

Add Your Devices to Motion LIVE

Wish to get your gear work with Motion Live?
Contact Us and get the Python API.

Does that mean that the API will be more capable than has been revealed for regular users?
By kungphu - 6 Years Ago
Curiouser and curiouser....
I don't see any inconsistencies here.  What a dev can do with their own code interfacing with the Python API is FAR different than users (or anyone else) using Python scripting to control iClone.  IOW, to get a device to work they will write their code (most like C++ but whatever) and make the appropriate calls to that Python API (as I understand it, portions of iClone are written using Python anyway).  But we wouldn't be able to do that in any case, not unless you want to write your own C++ code.

Another way of looking at it is this -- in Blender (where almost EVERYTHING is exposed to Python scripting) there are still low-level routines that call their Python API that you can't get to (I'm looking at YOU, Smooth routine).  You could write your own external code to do that, but you will not be able to script it.  Two completely different things (I may not be explaining this properly to non-programmers -- not only am I exhausted from tennis but I also took a Vicodin for the pain and am a little loopy).
I wouldn't mind writing C++ if that gives me more options...Wink
I'm guessing the only "options" it will give you is to interface your own code into iClone for the purpose they allow (in this case, just the Motion LIVE portion).  Now, if you have other devices you want to do this for (assuming you can get the API for those devices) then by all means, have at it.  But it ain't gonna allow you to do anything more for iClone itself (because if they could expose that they could easily expose it for just regular scripting).
You're probably right. Anyway, we don't really know what RL is thinking. I will patiently waiting what the regular scripting will give us. 
I've been waiting for scripting for years (https://forum.reallusion.com/121684/My-dream-previz-tool) and gave up on this. If RL can't expose clear API for scripting (even if they announced it two years ago) it can only mean one thing: underlying architecture is a huge mess. I'm sorry I had to come to that conclusion because I really like many aspects of iClone.
I think you may indeed have hit the nail on the head -- it would explain a lot of things (for one thing, iClone has kind of grown like topsy, with old functions and routines still embedded).  The internals may be so convoluted that scripting anything other than the bare basics is just impossible.
By eternityblue - 6 Years Ago
I really thought we'd have a lot of third party scripting going on, solving issues and providing features beyond what Reallusion's team alone was capable of getting done. But nope. Lots of expensive solutions I can't afford to problems not that high on my list of needs. Part of me hopes they are working on a whole new engine or something. I do imagine the old code is hard to maintain and upgrade at this point.
By lkelemen - 6 Years Ago
My only goal of buying Iclone was to script in it. I've been waiting for scripting for years and if it won't come soon I'll simply uninstall it as it is of no use for me.
By Peter (RL) - 6 Years Ago
lkelemen (10/26/2018)
My only goal of buying Iclone was to script in it. I've been waiting for scripting for years and if it won't come soon I'll simply uninstall it as it is of no use for me.

Hi... Python scripting is currently scheduled for release in December (2018).

By lkelemen - 6 Years Ago
coolSmile
Thanks for this info, Peter! 
I'll believe it when I see it Smile
By justaviking - 6 Years Ago
Peter (RL) (10/26/2018)
lkelemen (10/26/2018)

Hi... Python scripting is currently scheduled for release in December (2018).

@Peter(RL) - Since the Iray plug-in is being pushed back to 1Q19, is Python scripting also being delayed?  Or is that still planned for a December relase?
By rollasoc - 5 Years Ago
Where can I find the latest python Dev version of iClone? 
Is there a later one than the one I got in May.  (0.72 is the one I have)
By The-any-Key - 5 Years Ago
http://file.reallusion.com/python/Python_API_074_for_iClone_75_Beta.zip