UE4.13 supports Alembic import now!

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic294276.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Rampa - 8 Years Ago
Unreal 4.13 supports Alembic! You can download it now by adding a new version to your UE 4 launcher.
By will2power71 - 8 Years Ago
I'm curious, Rampa --are you doing much work with Ureal?
By Rampa - 8 Years Ago
None at all. I just saw that it supports it now.

I'm pretty content waiting for iC7, with it's updated rendering engine.
By mtakerkart - 8 Years Ago
Not my intention to be out of topic but I give up trying make something with UDK...
Too hard and twice time consuming as Iclone to have what I want. Particles system is a nightmare for me
and Very complex Texturing based on nodes. Like Rampa , I will wait the next Iclone 7 ;-)

By Atonnis - 8 Years Ago
Yes, it's been on Trello for months that it was due to hit back in May, but it kept being pushed back in favour of things like the VR editor and the new sequencer.

What's irritating is that I have no way of understanding how to get baked animations into Unreal from iClone.  I thought it would be a case of baking the animations in iClone, then sending the whole lot to 3dXchange and have it do the exporting, as 3dXchange is usually the export pipeline route.

If anyone from Reallusion could drop us a hint, video tutorial, text tutorial, ANYTHING, it would be REALLY useful.  I've been waiting ages for this and now all I can get is a grey skeletal mesh laying on the ground, then after straightening it up it needs to be rotated 180'.  Then I still don't get how I'm supposed to get the animations to work, since they don't import properly.

Is it possibly a format choice when exporting the alembic file. Is there something I'm missing about it all?

By animagic - 8 Years Ago
@Attonis: Since Rampa is talking about Alembic: this is exported directly from iClone and does not involve 3DXchange, except that you need Pipeline for the Alembic export capability to be available in iClone.

An animated model should retain its animations in Alembic, but textures are a different story and need to be applied separately. As this can be a pain, RL is working on some kind of mapping utility to make this easier.

I've done successful Alembic exports to other applications, so it's not immediate obvious why it doesn't work fro Unreal.
By hattori kun - 8 Years Ago
mtakerkart (8/17/2016)
Not my intention to be out of topic but I give up trying make something with UDK...
Too hard and twice time consuming as Iclone to have what I want. Particles system is a nightmare for me
and Very complex Texturing based on nodes. Like Rampa , I will wait the next Iclone 7 ;-)

Is Iclone 7 already in the roadmap? So no pbr in IC6? I thought pbr is planned this year.
@hattori kun

PBR is planned for Iclone 7 at the end of this year regarding Rallusion facebook

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/71655517-e0f4-4d18-8ee9-9643.jpg
mtakerkart (8/18/2016)
@hattori kun

PBR is planned for Iclone 7 at the end of this year regarding Rallusion facebook

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/71655517-e0f4-4d18-8ee9-9643.jpg

Well it mentions the date, Dec 2016, which is no surprise, but I don't see anything about iClone 7. Could be iClone 6.6 or 6.7, which would be better for our budget...BigGrin
@Animagic

Realtimer from reallusion wrought this:
"The precise metallic, roughness definition and enhanced IBL controls over environmental reflection will provide a whole new level of realism for iClone users. Other than PBR, users can expect a big visual leap in the future iClone 7 release."
in this topic: https://forum.reallusion.com/FindPost270895.aspx

This 2 informations said that PBR is for Iclone 7 in dec 2016...

Interesting... As this will cost money, this will have to be my Christmas present...w00t

EDIT: Fixed typo...Blush
By RobertoColombo - 8 Years Ago
mtakerkart (8/18/2016)
@Animagic

Realtimer from reallusion wrought this:
"The precise metallic, roughness definition and enhanced IBL controls over environmental reflection will provide a whole new level of realism for iClone users. Other than PBR, users can expect a big visual leap in the future iClone 7 release."
in this topic: https://forum.reallusion.com/FindPost270895.aspx

This 2 informations said that PBR is for Iclone 7 in dec 2016...

That´s a post in a comment section of Facebook!!!
C´mon... let´s stop pushing out non-fact-based ideas: what if the RL employer just wrote something according to rumours he heard, which could be anything that changed the day after? I can tell you that it happens EVERYDAY in a company, because the management plans can change quickly but official statements are always cautiously issued at a slower pace.
To be fare, many times Peter mentioned that "for this round of update..." etc. etc. which literrally means that we can expect other IC6 updates.
So what? Will we have IC7 and IC6.6 at the same time ? Tongue

Moreover, I am totally on Job´s page: an update is more welcomed than a new release (cheaper!).

Cheers

Roberto

By Atonnis - 8 Years Ago
animagic (8/17/2016)
@Attonis: Since Rampa is talking about Alembic: this is exported directly from iClone and does not involve 3DXchange, except that you need Pipeline for the Alembic export capability to be available in iClone.

An animated model should retain its animations in Alembic, but textures are a different story and need to be applied separately. As this can be a pain, RL is working on some kind of mapping utility to make this easier.

I've done successful Alembic exports to other applications, so it's not immediate obvious why it doesn't work fro Unreal.

I noticed a significant performance drop in UE4 as well, but that just might be some optimisation is needed.  I also spent some time individually going through and mapping materials to the correct slots, but the materials that come out of the 'export materials' checkbox are most definitely not usable in UE4.  I had nightmares about what I'd created last night.  Instead I've been working this morning on drawing up a map list of what material goes where from a separate FBX export of the model.  I've also been trying to get the model to show any sign of animation in the hair (for example) when I put it into the game, but it would appear (so far) that it won't work during normal movement and that I have had to add a special 'play animation' to the character blueprint or in the animation blueprint.

Much of this may stem from my lack of experience with alembic, but I learn and test fast so I'll see what I can come up with.  I also have an obsession with optimisation so the current methods aren't working for me.

@Roberto

I never saw some one of Reallusion posting rumors. Since version 2.0 , Iclone version have 2 years of Life. V6 came out in 2014.
By RobertoColombo - 8 Years Ago
Let´s see.
The discussion is just moot: only the next months will say waht´s going to happen.
In reality, Peter (RL) just posted in another thread that we are going to see pretty soon some news about face expression for next iClone... which seems to marry your thesis of a forthcoming iC7 version.
Anyway, I still hope in some cool new features coming out in some IC6 updates....
Mostly because IC6 is pretty much stable and (personally) I haven´t used all of the new features that were introduced yet.

Obviously if IC7 will open the door for a SDK I won´t say no Wink

Cheers

Roberto
mtakerkart (8/18/2016)
@Roberto

I never saw some one of Reallusion posting rumors. Since version 2.0 , Iclone version have 2 years of Life. V6 came out in 2014.

Not that it is of any importance, but iClone 5 came out in Sept 2011 with the last update (5.5) in Aug 2013, so that's a two year update cycle. However, IC 6 was released in Dec 2014, so that was more than a year later.

Following this schedule, there should at least be one more major 6.x release. According to this page, http://www.reallusion.com/iclone/iclone_ComingFeature.html, there is besides an updated MixMoves (which was released) also an improved Locomotion system to be expected in 6 (without sliding feet). That would be great of course. I don't know where PBR would go, but we know when.

Obviously this is all pure speculation. In the coming months, we will know if there's a 7 on the horizon, with previews etc. I'm looking forward to a curve editor and a mirror...Tongue
By Atonnis - 8 Years Ago
RobertoColombo (8/18/2016)
Let´s see.
The discussion is just moot: only the next months will say waht´s going to happen.
In reality, Peter (RL) just posted in another thread that we are going to see pretty soon some news about face expression for next iClone... which seems to marry your thesis of a forthcoming iC7 version.
Anyway, I still hope in some cool new features coming out in some IC6 updates....
Mostly because IC6 is pretty much stable and (personally) I haven´t used all of the new features that were introduced yet.

Obviously if IC7 will open the door for a SDK I won´t say no Wink

Cheers

Roberto

I personally don't see the discussion, as it was, to be moot. I'm trying to figure out alembic imports into UE4 and someone started rambling about rumours of IC7.

What we could do with is some useful (no wikipedia or overly scientific links) information about the alembic format and how to work with it. If IC is to be all it can be in a growing market of animation and character creation tools then I think we should be helping to produce or at least figure out with and for our fellow users how best to use the product.

By Atonnis - 8 Years Ago
Double Post