Reflection issue

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic294190.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By mtakerkart - 8 Years Ago
Did some one have this weird  black squares ? It appears only when I apply a reflexion texture.
I'm on windows 10 with the last drivers and the last drivers of my Geforce GTX760.
It's not vital for me du to the next render upcoming in december but if some one can helps :-)

By Skuzzlebutt - 8 Years Ago
select the problem texture and adjust the specular and/or glossiness
tip thanks to wungun
Thank you for the reply but it's clearly not a specular/gloss issue....
But I found that I'm not alone to have this problem:
https://forum.reallusion.com/FindPost290892.aspx
By animagic - 8 Years Ago
Is there an entry for it in the Feedback Tracker?

Problem is how to find a case that is reproducible for RL, as this doesn't happen to everyone. I haven't seen it with reflection maps, but in other cases. It's very random for me an not often and hard to repeat.
I didn't find anything in the feedback tracker but I won't create one for this because I think it's a reflection issue that will be fixe
in the next release of Iclone. I prefer Reallusion staff put their energy in the new render Engine Wink
It's just in case some one had resolve this.

By Skuzzlebutt - 8 Years Ago
animagic,
making feedback tracker reports about render related issues is kinda a waste of time at this point.
you do realize the render engine is getting changed in the next version.
you want them to shift focus fixing the old one?
By mr_vidius - 8 Years Ago
mtakerkart (8/16/2016)
I didn't find anything in the feedback tracker but I won't create one for this because I think it's a reflection issue that will be fixe
in the next release of Iclone. I prefer Reallusion staff put their energy in the new render Engine Wink
It's just in case some one had resolve this.

I wouldn't hold your breath. they can't fix the issue. or it would have been fixed by now. reflections work great in DX9. they just don't in DX11.
the issue has been addressed many, many times. but their answer is to use the "water" for reflections. which means they can't fix it. they don't know how.
ok guys , i'm just talking about reflection in the texture settings not the reflexion in the material Tab. The old reflexion issue is in the material tab.
But the reflexion in the texture settings is "correct" even in DX11. I didn't have this black squares with my old card and windows 8 running DX 11.
By mr_vidius - 8 Years Ago
mtakerkart (8/16/2016)
ok guys , i'm just talking about reflection in the texture settings not the reflexion in the material Tab. The old reflexion issue is in the material tab.
But the reflexion in the texture settings is "correct" even in DX11. I didn't have this black squares with my old card and windows 8 running DX 11.

there is a new update as of 08/15/2016. it's version 372.54  try this if you didn't grab it yet.

I have the 368.81 but it says i'm up to date.....
By brand468 - 8 Years Ago
mtakerkart (8/16/2016)
Did some one have this weird  black squares ? It appears only when I apply a reflexion texture.
I'm on windows 10 with the last drivers and the last drivers of my Geforce GTX760.
It's not vital for me du to the next render upcoming in december but if some one can helps :-)

Hi "mtakerkart",
Hi, I have similar problems if I use transparent material.
The problem was resolved not to render in full screen.
See
this thread: https://forum.reallusion.com/265862/Strange-transparency-problem-only-occurs-when-iClone-is-maximized

By Kevin.S - 8 Years Ago
This is mainly a memory problem
Unfortunately this can be a graphics card problem" this is also common in some games "flicking textures".
Work around....
Right click the desktop click nvidia control panel open it.
Go to manage 3d settings
Go to the programs settings tab
Select" a program to customize" if iclone does not appear then add it to the list
Then you will have to adjust the setting for iclone' really its just a matter of playing with the settings.You can scroll down to the textures area and play with those settings. Save the settings and try iclone again, keep adjusting those settings until you get it fixed.

This is a common issue related to video card memory in simple terms you are running out of memory. Unfortunately a graphics card with 4gig is vary weak for 3d software and will run out of memory vary fast. You can download MSI afterburner or any graphics card hardware monitoring software. Run it and then run iclone you will see how it uses all the video memory in just a few seconds. Once its full and you add custom textures you will get flickering.

If you are going to make large projects with lots of custom textures effects etc a 4 gig card will not be enough. You really need a minimum of 8 gigs to 24 gigs of video memory. This applies to all 3d software and games. Gaming cards are not designed with the memory to run 3d software. The drivers for gaming cards are coded different then drivers for a compute graphics card. games use a cretin type of code. Compute cards come with compute chips which gaming cards do not have. 3d software is coded to use compute code chips etc, Gaming cards are not. You can use gaming cards on 3d software programs yes, but they will have more issues and run out of memory 2x faster.

A texture mapping unit (TMU) is a component in modern graphics processing units (GPUs), historically it was a separate physical processor. A TMU is able to rotate, resize, and distort a bitmap image (performing texture sampling), to be placed onto an arbitrary plane of a given 3D model as a texture.
The GTX 980 has 128 TMU's  the 980TI 176 TMU Titan X 192 TMU  each cards has specs and limitations. cards also have ROP and other things.

Nvidia and AMD have gaming / compute cars
Example the Titan series from Nvidia is a gaming card with compute chips and 12 gigs of memory so it can do both 3d software and gaming.Texturing takes loads of memory more so then almost any other process in 3d modeling.

If you have iclone open for a long time making lots of adjustment etc save it close it, then reopen it clear the memory then try playing with textures.
You can download MSI afterburner it works with any graphics card and monitor your graphics memory etc. 99% of all texture, screen flickers, has to do with hardware drivers direct x and memory issues.

Nop. Same problem, even I remove the only transparency texture of the plume.
Curiosly , I could make the update of the 372.54 nvidia driver.

My screen is a 46 inch TV. The input is HDMI.
Oups! crossing post. I'll try your help sKevin ;-)

Stay tune....
By Kevin.S - 8 Years Ago
You will have to make adjustments in the nvida control panel for sure if you are on a 46 inch tv' you are probably using up 2 gig of memory just to pump that screen size!
I can almost guarantee you are running out of video memory. The 760 has 2 gigs video memory!

GTX 760

Shading Units:1152
TMUs:96
ROPs:32
SMX Count:6
Pixel Rate:23.52 GPixel/s
Texture Rate:94.1 GTexel/s
Floating-point performance:2,257.9 GFLOPS
@Kevin-s

Nop. nothing change.I really don't understand what are this setting for by the way ;-0 I'm too newbie I think.
 But seriously it's only a 32 k polygons character with 2x2k textures project, nothing else at all, I can't believe that my 4G of video Ram are full and 
can't deal with that....
This is a 600K project and have really no problem with it

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/466c245b-6f0b-4e9e-9400-68f1.jpg

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/7a17a874-5b0b-44d8-90dd-9b32.jpg

By the way I didn't know that we can clear the memory of Iclone?
I forgot to mention that my 46 inch tv sceen is only 1920x1080 (HD format) , it's less than a regular computer screen....
By Kevin.S - 8 Years Ago
Download MSI afterburner or EVGA  run it you can monitor your hardware and what its doing.
Having a 46 inch screen at any resolution is going to use lots of video memory that's a big screen, its going to take memory to fill that size screen with anything.
Run the program see how much memory is being used to pump that screen size" then start iclone watch the memory' if its maxed there is no more then what you have, so what iclone is doing is over writing memory with textures, the hardware has to dump temporary memory and load textures, then you get texture flickering. I can replicate the issue with my 980gtx. But my titan does not have the issues at all but that has 12 gigs memory.

If you dont know how to make adjustments for iclone in the nvidia control pannel then go to 3d settings, click global and make sure all the selections that have the option of application controlled, is set to application controlled hit save. You can also adjust image settings with preview" click use my preferences 'choose performance over quality. Apply' this will save a bit of memory.

MSI
https://gaming.msi.com/features/afterburner

EVGA
http://www.evga.com/precisionx/

Your problem is memory.... It takes video memory to just use the screen, it takes video memory to open iclone, it take video memory to use textures, 3d model etc.Texture flicker has been a long time issue with games also. The standard screen size is 1920x 1080 =1080p HD, That is the industry standard, you can then go up from there 2k 4k etc.

Opening and closing iclone = when you have a large file in memory you can save it, close iclone then reopen it and it will reload the project into memory. think of memory like a box' you can only fill that box so much before it cant hold anything more. Something has to come out if you want to add more to it.Texturing takes a lot of box space.

whats your projects polygon count ?
What is your projects FPS ?
When you turn the model is iT really slow and choppy ?
ok I will try this evening. But tell me why I have an issue with only one character in my project , 32 000 polygons with 2 textures of 2048x2048 , one reflexion map and I don't have any
issues with 15 characters with the same 2k textures????? (but no reflection).
By the way size of screen is not the resolution. A pixel is a pixel.Small or big depending of the physically screen size. That's the number of pixels wich demand resources not the "size" of the pixel.
Just say that for not make confusion.
But thank you to trying help me ! :-)
By Kevin.S - 8 Years Ago
Official Nvidia Texture flickering issue
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/615695/gtx-780-texture-flickering-and-shadow-glitches-in-almost-all-games/

What iclone preview view are you all using ? High Medium Low custom ?
Try adjusting the settings in iclone preferences, for real time render options.
Turn them all off, turn one on at a time and test it.
Yep I have to admit may it's a memory problem. I installed the after burner wich shows that it use all my 16Gig of ram and I forgot that I have
only 2G video Ram. The issue is only with the High setting in Iclone but this is the mode where we can see normal map.
So all of this to confirm a big hardware update for christmas with the new Iclone engine ! ;-)

Thank you
By Kevin.S - 8 Years Ago
The minimum for most all 3d software programs should be no less then 8 gigs of video memory and 16 gigs of system memory.
You can run 3d software on almost any low end system but its going to run like crap at some point.
Cheers Wink
Really don't understand why the issue disapear. Just close Iclone then relaunch.....

By Kevin.S - 8 Years Ago
When you close iclone it clears the memory and all the extra memory you have used for textures background animations etc.. Then when you re open it, it wont have all that extra stuff in memory, this goes for most software programs. Its really bad when a program has bad code and it gets a memory leak.

Video looks good :-)
By DebMark Productions - 8 Years Ago
Kevin S.
 I have an NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 with 7.89 GB usable video memory. Is there a way to increase this to 24-32 GB?
By RobertoColombo - 8 Years Ago
kevin.S (8/16/2016)
The minimum for most all 3d software programs should be no less then 8 gigs of video memory and 16 gigs of system memory.
You can run 3d software on almost any low end system but its going to run like crap at some point.
Cheers Wink

Not at all: I have the GTX980, with 4GB video memory, and it makes its job: I can tell you that I developed quite complicated scenes, e.g. with more than 70 characters fully animated or with hundreds of props.
I believe that calling the GTX980 a "low end system" is not correct.
Often it is a matter of learning how to organize/execute the editing process in order to save run-time resources
Obviously, the more the better (I wish I could put my hands on a GTX X Titan....), but saying that 8GB video card memory is the minimum is false.
Rather, I found that 16GB mainboard is barely enough (sometimes I reached 80% and the system started to bog down): I plan to extend to 32GB.

Cheers

Roberto