Substance Power 200 OR Substance Live?

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic272192.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Bawazeer26 - 8 Years Ago
Hello everyone,

I want to make super realistic materials and textures, and I don't know what to get; iClone's Substance Power 200 tool, Substance Live from Allegorithmic, or both.

Please help.
By bluemidget666 - 8 Years Ago
Both is your best bet, substance live has many many free materials and you get painter, designer and B2M 3.
Though as it stands right now you will have to jump through some hoops to get them looking as good in Iclone as they do In any of the PBR creation tools above.
Iclone right now can not handle metal and roughness textures, instead uses spec maps and a gloss slider (gray scale black to white) instead.

Thank you for the tip and the quick reply,

I guess I need more funds, lol Wink
By will2power71 - 8 Years Ago
Not necessarily. You don't have to foot the bill for Substance Live all at one time. You can purchase it rent to own for $19.90 per month for 16 months if you don't want to outlay 299 all at one time. 
https://www.allegorithmic.com/buy

It's another alternative for those of us with thin wallets.
You're right. I wish all online purchases had the same option lol
By Rampa - 8 Years Ago
Getting the Software is nice, but the Substances that are available with the Substance Share will not work properly in iClone. The diffuse channel is not mapped to an output for default Substances from Allegorithmic.

The 200 pack ones are all correctly mapped for iClone.

This not a bug, but a difference between rendering engines of different Software.
So I assume from what you have just said that I should get only Substance Power 200 without the Substance Live thing, I'm I right?

Please correct me if I'm wrong and thanks for the reply
Ha NOW ..Rampa brought up a good point.

Are you wishing to make and texture your own models or do you just want to plug in some substances into Iclone ?
By Rampa - 8 Years Ago
If you just need a texture library, then yeah.

If your goal is to learn Substance Designer, then you can probably "fix" all the ones that need it.

Urbanlamb, and a couple other people have converted some of the Substances from the Substance Share site.
So in conclusion, I don't need the Substance Live thing, but if I decided to go deeper into materials and stuff I can do it but with extra efforts to fix the difference you mentioned 

I'm I right?
Yes the 200 pack is the best starting point for you .
By justaviking - 8 Years Ago
Start with Substance Power 200.

I don't think there is any financial advantage to buying them at the same time.

After you've enjoyed some substances (the legal kind), then you can decide if you'd like to delve into the world of creating and/or modifying your own substances.  Do you want to AUTHOR your own substances?  I got the "Indie Pack" which might not be offered any more, but is probably equivalent to Substance Live.

It's a lot of fun, both Substance Painter and Designer.  As mentioned, for now you need to adjust the output channels to be compatible with iClone, but sometime (per the "What to expect in 2016" thread) we will be able to use the "metallic/roughness" channels in iClone.
Thanks people!

You're really awesome! All of you

I wish you all the best Smile
By will2power71 - 8 Years Ago
There's one other thing to consider in your purchase since Iclone announced the coming of PBR rendering. With Physically Based Rendering in the pipeline for 2016, then you're going to probably need to do some adjusting on the substance 200 if there's no update or anything covering it. When that happens, you're going to need something that can produce a PBR output, so you may be back to this quandary later on this year. Just keep that in the back of your mind.
Thanks for letting me know Smile