who's a musician here?

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic271659.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Skuzzlebutt - 8 Years Ago
guitar player here, 4 years schooling and a lifetime of learning,
road weary by the late 90's, and started up learning 2d/3d programs.

more than proficient in several music related apps
some may laugh, others may say wtf is that?
but my favorite since 1991 is "band in a box"
if you know your way around it, nothing comes close.

By animagic - 8 Years Ago
I played with sounds and music long before I got into animation. I worked with reel-to-reel tape recorders and home-built synthesizer gadgets. Having little money makes one inventive.

I worked during a summer as an animator's assistant a long, long time ago, and then later did the music for a few of his animations (they were Claymation), so that's how I got interested in animation. That was way back in the seventies. For the last ten years or so I've started with animation myself, which is where my creativity goes now. I'm not active in music except for my own films. I also like doing sound design.
By planetstardragon - 8 Years Ago
#EDM!  Yeah!
By RB3006 - 8 Years Ago
..................Smile
I was 20 years Pro as Guitarplayer, Composer , Sound engineer and Producer in Rockmusic

here a clip from my most successful album  (1994)

and a clip from one of my best albums  (2004)

these 20 years was the best time in my life.
I really miss it.
But iclone is also great fun.

my last iClone work

By pumeco - 8 Years Ago

Wow, they were bloody fantasic, Robert!

I wish I was a musician, I have my own weird way of playing a keyboard and writing music, but that's about it.
I'm determined to score my own animations though.

I have similar interests to Job from the sounds of it.  I'm deeply into audio engineering and mastering, especially analogue audio (see avatar) and only last year was playing with some custom-built analogue synths.  I'd have posted some photos but everything is packed away in boxes right now.  I'll be glad to get relocated so that I can play with it all again, I even bought a brand new analogue oscilloscope a while back to help in designing the synths.  Hardly had chance to play with it yet, that's another peice of kit currently hiding in a box.

By animagic - 8 Years Ago
planetstardragon (2/7/2016)
#EDM!  Yeah!

Forgot to mention that some of my stuff is on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/electona. I don't know if you can dance to it:..Unsure
@Job,  that's very good sound design work!
By RobertoColombo - 8 Years Ago
One life on the 6 strings, playing a bit of everything and a huge number of concerts with bands (50 to 90 per year for about 10 years).
Basically, rock-influenced (but  not only...)
Since 2006 I am on Fingerstyle acoustic guitar (about 300-400 concerts since that year) and here ( https://www.youtube.com/user/RobertoColombo ) you can see 70+ videos.
Still on the road (I have a repertoire of about 90 fingerstyle songs) but mostly... still waiting for PSD to organize a tour for me in the USA... BigGrin Tongue

Here are my very first 2 music videos done with iClone (the 3rd is forthcoming...)

Cheers

Roberto
By Snarp Farkle - 8 Years Ago
Very nice craftsmanship RB3006, both as a musician and an iCloner!

I used to play guitar and drums about a hundred years ago it seems now lol.  I was in a couple local bands back in the sixty's but no big outfits.  Currently I'm not playing anymore but am surrounded by musicians.  Just last October I was invited to "Dark Horse Studios" in Nashville to film behind the scenes video of an album being produced for a charity, and got to know and hob-knob with some old and new names in the higher end music industry like Dave Harris, Micky Parsons, Casey James, Deon Estus, John Robinson, Elliot Easton, Greg Hawkes, Scott Bell, and Phil Naro just to name a few.  Your 1964 album video reminded me a lot of some of Phil Naro's work.

Anyways to stay on topic, while chatting about things I mentioned that I was asked to do an iClone music video by a couple different local musicians and was surprised to hear that they were very interested in the prospects of having a song done in this fashion also.  I was given contact information to keep them informed of my progress in this field and so my iClone direction has been changed a bit.  So I will be asking a lot of questions and hope to pick the brains of some of you that are far more advanced as musicians and iCloners Smile
By Snarp Farkle - 8 Years Ago
RobertoColombo (2/7/2016)
One life on the 6 strings, playing a bit of everything and a huge number of concerts with bands (50 to 90 per year for about 10 years).
Basically, rock-influenced (but  not only...)
Since 2006 I am on Fingerstyle acoustic guitar (about 300-400 concerts since that year) and here ( https://www.youtube.com/user/RobertoColombo ) you can see 70+ videos.
Still on the road (I have a repertoire of about 90 fingerstyle songs) but mostly... still waiting for PSD to organize a tour for me in the USA... BigGrin Tongue

Very nice Roberto, excellent work!  Watching a musician play their song instead of just hearing their song shows the passion they have for their music and makes a spiritual impression upon the watcher.  Thank you for sharing that with us. Smile
@roberto lol - I've considered starting an iclone musicians / animators record label!!   w00t
By pumeco - 8 Years Ago

@Bud
I remember Band in the Box, and I agree, cool program the way it conforms audio pitch etc.
I know it doesn't matter, but man, the graphics still suck, they definitely need someone to work on their interface, it still looks like a throwback from Windows95 BigGrin

@Job
I can't dance to it, but I thought 'Tidal Flow' was quite nice!
It wouldn't sound out of place as the backdrop to a Retro Sci-Fi w00t

@Roberto
You're a one-man-band with that thing, but I'm a bit disappointed that I couldn't find a cover of 'The Littlest Hobo' theme tune among the tracks on your channel Tongue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFGtRKx4ypY

By primaveranz - 8 Years Ago
I'm learning Clawhammer Banjo... so I guess my answer to Bud's question is "Not me" Wink
By mark - 8 Years Ago
If you must know I do play a number of instruments.... very poorly, but that hasn't stopped me from writing and producing music for many years. I ran a demo studio in the good old reel to reel days but now just do my thing with GarageBand Smile
By wendyluvscatz - 8 Years Ago
I play the organ for church
I have put music composed by me on youtube and soundcloud but it does not necessarily make me a musician w00t
By sjonesdc - 8 Years Ago
Learned to play the piano when I was 8, then took up the guitar in high school, the flute in college, the clarinet (because someone said something) then the recorder. Unfortunately, real life and children took me away from music. However, since I'm close to retirement, the kids are gone and my original piano is finally being repaired (been in the basement for over 20 years), I'm looking forward to getting back into the groove.  

By william.carey30 - 8 Years Ago
    I play guitar and sing.  Check out my Youtube channel:  MrWmJCarey.
By Peter Blood - 8 Years Ago
<Lighter held aloft with flame a burnin'> w00t

Very impressive Robert. I really liked "Another Love".

You dwarf the paltry skills I acquired as a garage band bass player in the late-60's. My band, "The Extortions" did pretty well regionally (the midwest usa) and we appeared with a few name bands when they passed through. The most noteworthy (and fun) was with "Strawberry Alarm Clock" A fairly well-known acid rock band of that era and a great bunch of guys. Alas, the band moved on after I was drafted into the Army, and I never picked up a bass guitar again. (sigh) 

It always amazes me, but no longer surprises me, that there are so many multi-talented and very accomplished artists on the forum and you are certainly one of them. Smile

Cool pete

By mark - 8 Years Ago
Oh man Pete!!!! I think I have a 45 of "Strawberry Alarm Clock"!!!!TongueTongueTongue
By pumeco - 8 Years Ago

wendyluvscatz (2/8/2016)
I play the organ for church

Robert is the super-cool real-life Rockstar of the forum, however, it is the comment above which excited me the most.

I think I get why people go to church now, it's to watch Wendy's beautiful DD's jiggle-away as she plays the church organ like a woman possessed w00t
Bloody hell, just imagine it, that would be totally awesome to watch - a sight to behold BigGrin

By theschemer - 8 Years Ago
I play the radio and the 300 CD Disk changer. I am really good at it too. BigGrin
TS

By pumeco - 8 Years Ago
sw00000p (2/9/2016)
Talking about watching Ms. Wendy jiggling her breast while playing an organ..... in CHURCH!!!w00t .... You're SICK!

True, true w00t

theschemer (2/9/2016)
I play the radio and the 300 CD Disk changer. I am really good at it too. BigGrin

Good point, it must be a musical instrument if it plays music!
I play the turntable myself, I can even play it at two speeds, 33 and 45 RPM, beat that for talent BigGrin

By primaveranz - 8 Years Ago
pumeco (2/9/2016)

I think I get why people go to church now, it's to watch Wendy's beautiful DD's jiggle-away as she plays the church organ like a woman possessed w00t

Yup, you definitely are the "Creepy Uncle" of these forums.

By pumeco - 8 Years Ago

It's all lies, man, filthy rotten lies!
They never proved a thing!

Wendy ... I know you're in there ... I hear you playing that organ again ...

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3a%2f%2fi0.wp.com%2fmazumafykc.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2014%2f11%2fcreepy-uncle.gif&f=1

By martok2112 - 8 Years Ago
First let me say:
"Holy FRAK, Robert!   That music is freaking great!   The vocalists on both those albums have some killer pipes in their time.  Takes me back to my favorite era of music, the 80's!"

As for myself,   I sing for a living down on Bourbon Street in the French Quarter in New Orleans, LA.

Right now, I am down to doing substitute work, which is actually quite liberating, and quite profitable.   The scenery always changes, and I am probably getting more work as a sub than I was in a regular band.  (Although, I did take reduced days when I was in a regular band because I don't want to burn myself out.)  

We play mostly classic and 80's rock, so from AC/DC to ZZ TOP and almost everything in between.

So, if you ever find yourself in New Orleans, LA on Bourbon Street, you might just find me playing at either the Famous Door, the Bourbon Bandstand, or Krazy Korner.  I'm a long haired dude with pretty decent pipes, and I almost always wear some kind of t-shirt with a funny saying (sometimes, very politically incorrect), or a pop culture reference (lots of Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica stuff, but a few others thrown in there too)  I also usually wear round, dark sunglasses, and one thing I hear almost every night I play is: "Hey, Ozzy!"  LOL!

I love my job because it makes me the money to get the tools I need to pursue my hobby, storytelling, movie making,  CG modeling and CG animation,

As one of my favorite quips goes: "When I'm not busy being a Bourbon Street Rock Star, I am a full on, bona fide geek!"  Smile

Here is a video of one of my bands at the Famous Door from a few years ago:

The guitarist standing to my right (your left on the screen) is my roommate.  Sadly the guy shooting the video decided to stop filming just as my roommate was ripping into the solo, because my roommate can slam that part like no one's business, and he does it all by himself. 

Here's a video of my roommate in a different band at the time playing the solo....

Enjoy. Smile

By RobertoColombo - 8 Years Ago
Great voice Martok!
Amazing technique Robert!

A lot of musicians around here... would be cool to create an iClone project with embedded videos of each one playing something.
Similar to what is done sometimes on YT, where 2 musicians, living in different side of the world, play on the same track and then the 2 videos are composed.
Would be cool to think about something similar based on iClone....

what would donald trump say ?!

i dunno,  but martok has a nice voice.  loosen up some though man! sheesh!
Thanks, Roberto and Dragon. Smile

BTW, Dragon.   Loosen up?.... me, or Trump?  LOL!
By wendyluvscatz - 8 Years Ago
What I love here is the presence of REAL musicians who play instruments!!
The EDM stuff on my radio all sounds the same to my old ears except when they throw something in like the Prodigy, Pendulum/knifeparty, Daft Punk and the like where some instruments are actually PLAYED not a damned piano roll on a DAW. I can definitely tell the difference.
Or sing without digital pitch correction or autotuning, right? BigGrin

Yeah, I like Daft Punk, although I didn't even know who they were until they did the soundtrack for TRON LEGACY.  Smile
By pumeco - 8 Years Ago

Hah, Martok looks totally different to how I pictured him.  I've always pictured him as being really geeky-looking with thick round pebble-glasses and short hair.
The video came as quite a shock BigGrin

Cool stuff, Martok!

pumeco (2/21/2016)

Hah, Martok looks totally different to how I pictured him.  I've always pictured him as being really geeky-looking with thick round pebble-glasses and short hair.
The video came as quite a shock BigGrin

Cool stuff, Martok!

LOL!  Thanks. Smile

By Delerna - 8 Years Ago
Been playing guitar since I was 18 and do ....... OK 
Unfortunately little skill and short stubby fingers means that's all I will ever be....OK
I have played with a couple of home garage bands several times but that's all.
Here is me playing a little bit in an unfinished clip of a model I have been working on.
Sorry, I'm no musician but I do enjoy trying to play music.