How do I stop flickering?

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic267474.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Jeffster The Mighty - 8 Years Ago
You can see the flickering at 13, 17 and 50 seconds.WOuld a better card help? I'm using an Nvidia GeForce GT 610

I thought about going Indigo, but it's just too much! 200 frames was 60+ gigs and just exporting it took all night. If I'm going to do this with Iclone, it will have to be through a card for now.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2DqqAmBEs_GRkhSZm1aMXU5YVk/view?usp=sharing

By justaviking - 8 Years Ago

Are those windows (and the "red section") physically a different layer that sits on the larger prop?
I've seen flickering like that when you have two overlapping  (or superimposed) planes, and the graphics card has a hard time knowing which one should be visible.

If they flickering parts are simply part of the same larger diffuse texture map, then I don't have any good ideas.

I sure hope you get this figured out.  I love that opening sequence.  It's really awesome!

By jarretttowe - 8 Years Ago
My advice is to try to fix it if it bugs you but that it doesn't detract from the feeling you are going for. It looks great! Keep it up!
By Skuzzlebutt - 8 Years Ago
sometimes this can be fixed on a prop or avatar in 3dxchange (not always)
by applying auto smooth  at 180.
you can do it with the scene open (edit in 3dxchange)

this has worked for me 60% of the time, maybe more.
By Cricky - 8 Years Ago
It looks like a Sketchup or 3DS face based model issue.   The faces are fighting for the same space.

Put inside 3DXchange and "Select All",  Letter "O",  Choose "Weld Vertices";  

Smooth Factor option can be randomly selected for the various results.  Sometimes 45 works better than 90, 90 works better than 180, etc..  Try more than one.  

I just so happened to have come across this a few times in the past years, so this method works fine in 3dXchange 5 or 6.
Thanks! I will try both!
Cricky (1/10/2016)
It looks like a Sketchup or 3DS face based model issue.   The faces are fighting for the same space.

Agreed.  That is exactly the sort of situation I was talking about.

Good comment about Sketchup, Cricky.  I've seen a lot of issues in Sketchup models.  There are some nice-looking models available, but a lot of them have underlying modeling flaws that make things difficult when you want to use them in iClone.  I like your suggestion for as a potential solution.
By animagic - 8 Years Ago
A while ago there was a post by someone who explained how this could be fixed within Sketchup. Unfortunately, I don't remember the details.  
animagic (1/10/2016)
A while ago there was a post by someone who explained how this could be fixed within Sketchup. Unfortunately, I don't remember the details.  

It's very likely it involved a pass through Blender (or similar) and using its modeling tools to find and clean up the duplicate faces.  But alas, I also don't remember the details.

By urbanlamb - 8 Years Ago
Yes this is occlussion i had to fix a model I made recently for this issue not realizing it was happening on the back end.  Just move the faces away by a short distance or if they are duplicates (sometimes they are not duplicates) delete them.

It also appears to have something to do with LOD because the occlussion only occurs at a distance most of the time.   As you draw away the information changes.  Anyhow its your graphics card trying to draw both faces.   Just pull the window forward by like a tiny bit so that when you zoom out it wont happen or pull the wall behind it back unless this is an issue of stacked faces that should not be there in which case the issue is to optimize cause its probably covered in faces like that Smile   
Thanks for all the ideas. So far nothing has fixes it, though I have thought of attaching an objextg over the flicker, like a docked shuttle. .For the flickering the street. I can just fix that with a simple plane. I will look into Blender. I thought I could fix it by checking "no hidden" on the DAZ export. That didn't work.
I couldn't stop it, but I did subdue it. Here is how it looks now.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2DqqAmBEs_GZkxwMkhjdTJlekE/view?usp=sharing

By cynthia.fridsma_42 - Last Year
Jeffster The Mighty (1/11/2016)
I couldn't stop it, but I did subdue it. Here is how it looks now.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2DqqAmBEs_GZkxwMkhjdTJlekE/view?usp=sharing

The link is no longer available and I know it's an old topic. But I ran into the flickering texture thing in my project due to overlapping objects. I lowered one of them a little bit and voila, no more flickering. I wouldn't have come up with this simple solution without you, so thank you.