Does iClone 6 work with DirectX 12? It keeps freezing...

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic265898.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By brian_34 - 9 Years Ago
Does iClone 6 work with DirectX 12? I bought a super fast gaming laptop (32 GB RAM, GTX980, x64)

Whenever I run iClone 6 or Character Creator after about a minute or 2 of use, the programs freeze in there tracks and they both lose the ability to click on any of the icons/ navbar.Sometimes hover text freezes on screen with this and will be ontop of any other open window. I have tried running both programs in compatibility mode with the Windows 8 and 7 settings. I also reset the CPU to factory reset and re downloaded the programs and there patches and unfortunately the same issues immediately occured.  The only way to exit the program at that point is to use control + alt + del. Once it freezes. Longest time waited was an hour. 
If the CPU is too powerful we need to return it and would like to know sooner rather than later.
Any help on this would be great!
By Kelleytoons - 9 Years Ago
DirectX 11 (and there is also a patch for 9) is the only one supported.

Try running your computer in that mode and see if you have the same issues.
By Zeronimo - 9 Years Ago
Sorry to contradict Kelleytoons but on my PC iClone 6 works fine with Directx12. Tongue

By brian_34 - 9 Years Ago
How do you switch to DirectX 11 mode? The only thing I know how to do is compatibility mode and I did that in Windows 8 setting and in Windows 7 setting.
By RobertoColombo - 9 Years Ago
Hi there,

I have the same problem: double-clicking on any motion clip will crash iClone.
Also, navigating in the Content window within the motion clips can crash iClone.

I also have the DirectX12, so now I wonder whether this could be the problem...
I will contact again RL to see what they answer about this.
Kind of daunting experience: the GUI should be the 1st thing to be stable in a SW....

Roberto

By Bigus - 9 Years Ago
I'm on DirectX12 as well.
I wouldn't say it's the most stable combination.
But it works...

sort of...

Whistling
By RobertoColombo - 9 Years Ago
Well... before the 6.3 version I could count, maybe 3 or 4 crashes in 1 year: it was super-stable.
It is obvious that they made some changes here and there and created new sort of troubles.
People on the Forum experiences all the find of problems now: jerky GUI, crashes, projects not loading, working things that now do not work.
I am sorry to write this but it is also clear that the test of the new patch was quite poor.
Hope RL will fix asap...

Roberto
By animagic - 9 Years Ago
You've always been able to use different DX versions side by side, i.e., you can have DX9 (for legacy purposes) and DX 11. Many programs/games will still use DX 11, so it should be possible to run that next to DX 12, or DX 12 should at least be downward compatible.
By RobertoColombo - 8 Years Ago
Hi Job,

in theory, yes, you are right.
In practice, what I experience is stunning: iClone crashing only because I am navigating the animation panel of the Content window (and only that panel) or double-clicking an animation clip.
This seems so weird, like it can happen on some piece of chitty SW, which can not be the case of iClone!
But, as a matter of fact, this issue started with patch 6.3.
Reading the various feedback of 6.3 users, it is clear that RL changed more than just fixing some bugs and something system-dependent was introduced: there are ppl reporting issues that I can't confirm on my system and vice verse.
I can still work, as I can drag&drop the animation clips from Windows Explorer, but the problem I have is quite unbelievable, because it is soooooo basic and not related to any complicated 3D operation or complicated project.
Funny also that this is the only crash problem I have seen: out of it, iClone runs quite stable!
Hope RL will get a load and churn out a more robust new patch.

Cheers

Roberto
By brian_34 - 8 Years Ago
Hey guys, thanks for all the responses last year. After a lot of hard work, I think it was my Gaming laptop that was the problem. Do any of you guys have a laptop model that your currently using with iClone and DirectX 12 that you recommend?
By brian_34 - 8 Years Ago
@Roberto, have you tried and had any success with the new patch yet? 
By jarretttowe - 8 Years Ago
My gtx 980m gigabyte laptop crashes A LOT with iclone and cc. 3dx is pretty stable.
After effects, Maya, max, modo, daz, poser -- no crashes. Ever. In 4 months. I crash reallusion products 4+ times every day.
By Peter (RL) - 8 Years Ago
brian_34 (12/30/2015)
Does iClone 6 work with DirectX 12? I bought a super fast gaming laptop (32 GB RAM, GTX980, x64)

Whenever I run iClone 6 or Character Creator after about a minute or 2 of use, the programs freeze in there tracks and they both lose the ability to click on any of the icons/ navbar.Sometimes hover text freezes on screen with this and will be ontop of any other open window. I have tried running both programs in compatibility mode with the Windows 8 and 7 settings. I also reset the CPU to factory reset and re downloaded the programs and there patches and unfortunately the same issues immediately occured.  The only way to exit the program at that point is to use control + alt + del. Once it freezes. Longest time waited was an hour. 
If the CPU is too powerful we need to return it and would like to know sooner rather than later.
Any help on this would be great!

If you are using Windows 10 then you will have DirectX 12. That's not a problem as I'm running iClone 6 fine on a Windows 10 system with no issues. I certainly don't think its because your gaming laptop is too powerful. I have not come across any system too powerful for iClone. It's normally the other way around.

If it is a new computer make sure you have run Windows Update several times until there are no further updates. Go to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and then "Check For Update".

Please also update your graphics drivers and ensure you have the latest available. Please see the link below to check.

Important: If your computer has switchable graphics (and most gaming laptops do), then please do ensure you are running the iClone with the more powerful Nvidia graphics card. Do not choose the Intel graphics option as you will encounter problems.

For more information on switchable graphics please check out the link below. This contains additional instructions on how to select the right graphics card option.

If you still have problems, try switching to the DirectX 9 version of iClone 6 and see if this allows you to successfully run iClone 6.

In iClone 6 you can launch either the DirectX 11 version or the DirectX 9 version.

You can do this by going to Start > All Programs > iClone 6 and then select "iClone Graphics Mode Selection". Then select the DirectX 9 version and launch iClone 6. Then check for stability. This will help narrow the issue down to a DirectX 11 or a separate system issue.

If after checking the above you still have problems, please contact us via the Support Form below and let u have your dxdiag.txt so we can check for any problems.

http://www.reallusion.com/CustomerSupport/UserEx/QForm.aspx

a) Type "dxdiag" in the Search box and click "dxdiag.exe" from the search list.
b) It will then check your system for a while, after finishing, click "save all information"
c) Save "DxDiag.txt". and send this to us as an attachment.

Thank you.
By Peter (RL) - 8 Years Ago
Just to add from our experience when crashing occurs it is normally related to the size of the project. If a project is large (say over 500MB) then this will likely signal some crashing. As it gets larger crashing will occur more frequently until eventually the project will refuse to load. If I recall rightly Roberto had previous problems with a project that turned out to be over 1GB in size. That is simply too large to maintain stability on even the most powerful system.

A good test is to load up one of our sample projects, most of which are under 100MB in size. If you don't experience any crashes using these sample projects then it is likely memory issues are causing the crashing due to project size. The most likely candidate is video memory but system memory will play a part too.

If in doubt, please contact us via the Support Form and supply your dxdiag.txt as mentioned in my previous post and we will happily try to help you out.

http://www.reallusion.com/CustomerSupport/UserEx/QForm.aspx
By justaviking - 8 Years Ago
Peter (RL) (2/3/2016)
Just to add from our experience when crashing occurs it is normally related to the size of the project. If a project is large (say over 500MB) then this will likely signal some crashing. As it gets larger crashing will occur more frequently until eventually the project will refuse to load. If I recall rightly Roberto had previous problems with a project that turned out to be over 1GB in size. That is simply too large to maintain stability on even the most powerful system.

Respectfully, I take issue with that position as a matter of principle.

In my opinion (base on more than a little experience in the software industry), when you overload a system it should slow down.  It may slow to a snail's pace.  It might even appear to halt for all practical purposes.

But it shouldn't crash.

Usually that is a sign of sloppy memory management, insufficient handling of array sizes, and stuff like that.  If you exceed a hard-coded limit, the system ought to give a graceful and meaningful message, such as "Your project is to big, remove some assets."

I'm not saying it's necessarily iClone's fault (graphic drivers, etc. come into play too), but if other software on the same system handles project of equivalent size, it does cast some suspicion in that direction.

As Reallusion works to give us great new features and expanded capabilities, I hope they also pay attention to good coding practices so we can continue to create incredible animations that are limited only by our imagination and the speed of our hardware.  I'm sure they will.

(Of course, for now, the obvious and practical solution is to find ways to limit the size of the iClone project.)
By animagic - 8 Years Ago
I thought the reason we went to 64-bit was that we could load and work with larger projects. I have actually a 2GB project (file size) that loads and doesn't cause crashes. This is on a Windows 7 64-bit desktop. I believe the graphics card also plays a big role in stability: more VRAM is better. I was thinking for my next system to be a powerful laptop, but it seems from people's experiences to be kind of a dicey proposition.
By RobertoColombo - 8 Years Ago
brian_34 @Roberto, have you tried and had any success with the new patch yet? 

Peter (RL) (2/3/2016)If I recall rightly Roberto had previous problems with a project that turned out to be over 1GB in size. That is simply too large to maintain stability on even the most powerful system.

justaviking (2/3/2016)

In my opinion (base on more than a little experience in the software industry), when you overload a system it should slow down.  It may slow to a snail's pace.  It might even appear to halt for all practical purposes.
But it shouldn't crash.

Sorry, this week I was on biz trip and I did not check the Forum very often.
So, the issue I had was solved, as I reported in the IC6.3 official Tech Issue thread.
The reason was quite simple: a non .iMotion file ended up in the Motion directory. No idea how that file went there. But that was enough to crash iClone when I was navigating the Content->Motion GUI, because iClone reads ahead the .iMotion files in order to display the thumbnail. If a different file format is there, it seems to be killing for iClone.
Anyway, problem sorted and therefore I can confirm that iClone 6.3 works fine with Win 10 Pro and DirectX12.

Regarding the file size, I agree with Peter that a bigger size can create issues.
But, working on bigger size you can also learn how to handle it.
The experience with the last project taught me what I should do: split into takes! And the new feature introduced with 6.3 (Remove animation but keep the position at a certain frame) helps dramatically Smile
Right now I am working on a project with about 70 characters, so the size is really huge (bigger than 1GB), but I can still wok on it because I break into different takes: when one take is done, I remove all the animations, and works on the next one.

Dennis (Justaviking) mentioned about slowing down... and in fact it is what happens right now with this monster project (the size being due to the high number of characters).
But it does not crash: the project can render and I can work on the animations.
Again, I learnt how to handle such a big project.
Rules to works on huge proiects:

1. work in Quick Mode!
2. eventually hide everything but the asset(s) you are working on
3. create short takes (my ones are about 1500 frames maximum)
4. eventually display the assets in Wireframe

So, I can also say that with a powerful PC even 1GB or more can be sustained.

Cheers

Roberto

By dave_98_17 - 8 Years Ago
Has anyone solved their issue with Direct x 12. I am having the exact same problem and cannot find where the Motion Directory is.
By hiroka - 7 Years Ago

I confront the same problem with my Windows8.1 DirectX11 or Windows10 DirectX12 laptop PC.
Manufacturer customiz display driver installed in laptop PC may cause these problems.
I would like to talk my experience stopping the customized display driver temporally. And trouble may be resolved at that time.
1) Make recovery point (To be able to recover)
2) Open "Device Manager" and select display adapter.
3)  <Stop  driver>.    Caution!:   Not  click <Delete  driver>.
It may result nullfying dispay controller program, customizing screen size, output display-port and multi-display setting etc.

4) To recover and return to normal use of PC, click <Activate  driver>. 

Please remind "make recovery point and never delete display driver"