BUILDING CREATOR

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic245514.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By JIX - 9 Years Ago
I like the way you can build houses in the Sims 4. Maybe another add-on for iClone 6?! Wink

By vidi - 9 Years Ago
I thought  a graduate designer is more interested in to design own Idea. ? BigGrin
By JIX - 9 Years Ago
vidi (8/1/2015)
I thought  a graduate designer is more interested in to design own Idea. ? BigGrin

No doubt about it, but I still have all the creative freedom with that kind of interface and workflow.
I can focus on creative issues even more, if the tool is freakin intuitive. Did you notice how cool you can move a wall, or resize a whole room for instance and the rest is updated automatically?!
I still can change textures, details, furniture, etc. and even that ready-made stuff can be usefull for a rough sketch or previz-project.

By wendyluvscatz - 9 Years Ago
there are quite likely 3rd party programs that do this already that export to obj
not really looked into it, think called "my dream home" or something
By JIX - 9 Years Ago
wendyluvscatz (8/2/2015)
there are quite likely 3rd party programs that do this already that export to obj
not really looked into it, think called "my dream home" or something

I was looking for something similar, but didn´t find anything convincing yet.
It´s always freakin time consuming to check out all that tools, isn´t it? So actually I was waiting for someone coming up with a suggestion ...

By will2power71 - 9 Years Ago
I definitely would favor something like this --but only if they did it with a few different versions, like A sci-fi version, and a fantasy/historical version as well. I would prefer that they set it up modular where if you only wanted the scifi version you could purchase it separately or you buy it as a bundle. 
By planetstardragon - 9 Years Ago
or maybe get the model right from sims 4 ? w00t

I haven't tried this as I don't have sims 4,  but they've been around for years making modkits.
http://modthesims.info/t/532867
By JIX - 9 Years Ago
will2power71 (8/8/2015)
I definitely would favor something like this --but only if they did it with a few different versions, like A sci-fi version, and a fantasy/historical version as well. I would prefer that they set it up modular where if you only wanted the scifi version you could purchase it separately or you buy it as a bundle. 

Yeah! As far as I´m concerned modulartiy is the best concept anyway. Besides all should be customisable.

Most important for me still remains that workflow, which really caught my attention in that viddy.

By JIX - 9 Years Ago
planetstardragon (8/8/2015)
or maybe get the model right from sims 4 ? w00t

I haven't tried this as I don't have sims 4,  but they've been around for years making modkits.
http://modthesims.info/t/532867

Neither I do have any version of the Sims. I enjoy watching their quite entertaining teasers.

I also had that idea to grab the model directly from there, but what about that royalty problem?!
By planetstardragon - 9 Years Ago
on the royalty ,  it usually depends if you are doing fan type videos or movies for sale. or for that matter trying to sell them.
Technically you aren't supposed to rip anything from anywhere without permission,  but some companies are friendly about it because it ultimately promotes their product.  If you are looking to make big profit,  then you want papers proving you own rights ....they won't hit you now,  but if you became some superstar that made millions,  you will simply be considered another stream of revenue ...it's not really a matter of right or wrong.  If you do it as a fan,  you are promoting their products,  if you do it on the sneak,  you are open to giving them a big cut of your revenues if it hits big lol  -  or a copyright strike on your youtube -  but the sims line is 'traditionally' known for their machinima culture so it's unlikely to happen.
I'm not advising you do it,  I'm simply showing it's possible lol BigGrin  
By lkelemen - 9 Years Ago
have you tried http://sweethome3d.com/ ?
It's free and there is .obj export in it.
By JIX - 9 Years Ago
I'm not advising you do it,  I'm simply showing it's possible lol BigGrin  

No excuses ... we are going to blame it on you now! Tongue

By JIX - 9 Years Ago
lkelemen (8/8/2015)
have you tried http://sweethome3d.com/ ?
It's free and there is .obj export in it.

I downloaded it, but didn´t try it yet. Does it feature the same workflow?!
By lkelemen - 9 Years Ago
yes the workflow is similar
By JIX - 9 Years Ago
lkelemen (8/8/2015)
yes the workflow is similar

Thx! Going to check out that one next ...
By Rampa - 9 Years Ago
I do wish the Sweethome3D developer would embrace roofs. It is a pretty good iClone companion for house and building scenes. Having a library of common architectural elements (doors, windows) that are already to scale and easily assembled, makes it quite compelling. 

All the parts import in 3DX as separate objects, so it's pretty easy to select all the door parts and make them a sub-prop.

Many of the available home-layout software packages have no 3D export, but SH3D does, and it's free! Smile

That being said, sketchup with a bunch of "components" can do pretty much the same thing. Many components can cut their own holes in walls as needed.
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-insert-doors-and-windows-in-google-sketchup.html
By JIX - 9 Years Ago
All the parts import in 3DX as separate objects, so it's pretty easy to select all the door parts and make them a sub-prop.

That´s a big plus and a big time saver for sure.

By will2power71 - 9 Years Ago
The thing that interests me the most about something like this is the look. The Sims 4 housebuilder maintains all the textures consistent to the toon world that it's in. That's what makes it so attractive. I have wanted to have a toon neighborhood, houses and props that all look like they're from the same universe and that's not easy to maintain. Something like this would make it a whole lot easier. I have Sweet home 3d and while it's similar, it isn't as easy to use and it doesn't handle multiple levels well and there are very little elements to the exterior. Something like it would be a really big deal, though!
By Peter (RL) - 9 Years Ago
Thanks for the suggestion. I doubt a full fledged house builder would be viable within iClone but certainly perhaps a basic room builder tool with windows and doors would fit in nicely. For now using dedicated 3rd party tools that export to OBJ or 3DS will be the best option as these give you more advanced options.
By JIX - 9 Years Ago
Peter (RL) (8/18/2015)
Thanks for the suggestion. I doubt a full fledged house builder would be viable within iClone but certainly perhaps a basic room builder tool with windows and doors would fit in nicely. For now using dedicated 3rd party tools that export to OBJ or 3DS will be the best option as these give you more advanced options.

I see this thread as a brainstorming place, where I just note every idea which pops into my mind, without validating it. In my experience, you never know what happens ...
Of course you guys can´t offer full fledged tools within iClone for all kind of purposes. A basic room builder would be just great!

By GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS - 9 Years Ago
JJJAM (8/19/2015)
Peter (RL) (8/18/2015)

I see this thread as a brainstorming place, where I just note every idea which pops into my mind, without validating it. In my experience, you never know what happens ...
Of course you guys can´t offer full fledged tools within iClone for all kind of purposes. A basic room builder would be just great!

I believe this is typically an area where we need scripting/SDK in iClone. Room builders, then Building builder, then City builder, etc.., to me, is the responsibility of content creators, not Reallusion, because as soon as you introduce a room builder or something, you tend to impose a room "style" (what kind of room builder do you want ? Sci-Fi ? Medieval ? Gothic ? Idian ? Japanese ? etc..) and obviously this can't be embedded into one program, this must be externalized as "data", so as "content". But access to scripting/sdk is the responsibility of the program developer, Reallusion. And we are waiting for that since a long time ago. All this kind of tools and much more will be possible once scripting/sdk will be accessible. So better push for scripting/sdk rather than isolated "features" that Reallusion alone will never have the resources nor the time to implement. There is a all world of developers out there waiting for scripting/sdk so they could add zillions of tools to the iClone arsenal.
By JIX - 9 Years Ago
grabiller (8/20/2015)
JJJAM (8/19/2015)
Peter (RL) (8/18/2015)

I believe this is typically an area where we need scripting/SDK in iClone. Room builders, then Building builder, then City builder, etc.., to me, is the responsibility of content creators, not Reallusion, because as soon as you introduce a room builder or something, you tend to impose a room "style" (what kind of room builder do you want ? Sci-Fi ? Medieval ? Gothic ? Idian ? Japanese ? etc..) and obviously this can't be embedded into one program, this must be externalized as "data", so as "content". But access to scripting/sdk is the responsibility of the program developer, Reallusion. And we are waiting for that since a long time ago. All this kind of tools and much more will be possible once scripting/sdk will be accessible. So better push for scripting/sdk rather than isolated "features" that Reallusion alone will never have the resources nor the time to implement. There is a all world of developers out there waiting for scripting/sdk so they could add zillions of tools to the iClone arsenal.

True, it´s content and scripting is the best way to cover a huge range in short time. 
Anyway, with a basic build-in-room-builder, tesselation and Substance materials you can achieve quite a lot, I guess, but there will be still room for all kind of scripts, of course.