Begging for help!

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic222475.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By tknight_20090922190925980 - 9 Years Ago
Well, by the looks of things on the web this is a nasty subject but as many of you are, I too am desperate...

Same old question:

I have a 3d file. I have it in .fbx, .max, .obj all sorts of formats which load perfectly into 3dsMax with textures, materials etc.

When I export it in any format, with the iclone plug-in, as an .obj file etc etc it will never export properly. I get these bland looking objects with no texture, no material etc.

When I load it into 3dxchange it never loads textures or materials...

I would kill for someone to show me how to import ANY 3d object with materials/textures into 3dxchange and then into iclone. I do not think it is possible!
By planetstardragon - 9 Years Ago
Hi Tknight,

Welcome to the forum.

Try using the free autodesk fbx convertor to convert any foreign fbx to a standard format. Just because it's 'fbx' does not mean all 'fbx' files are created the same.

the problem is that not all softwares handle fbx files the same, the autodesk converter will help normalize any potential issues. it works "most" of the time, as some softwares mangle files beyond repair.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=22694909
Hey thanks for the reply! I've tried both the 2012 and 2013 versions of fbx convertor. But no luck, always get objects with no texture.

My issue is probably more with max...

For example:

1. I load in a .max file - looks awesome, material library chock full.

2. Export it in .obj format and then re-load it into max and the material library is full of pale colors and no maps at all.

3. If i re-assign the maps to the materials library and re-export the .obj and then re-load it into iclone it is correct.

4. Why do I have to go through this step when it is all there in the .max file???

Thanks!
ugh, i know what you are talking about - truth is I can't answer why that is inconsistent, I don't know max, but my first guess would be it's a process that you have to instruct max to embed the textures.
By prabhatM - 9 Years Ago
It has nothing to do with 3DX or ICLONE. I guess it's about the EXPORT OPTIONS in 3dmax.

Sw00000p's pointer should help.

ONLY refer to his second Image, forget about everythingelse.

SPECIAL NOTE : Sw00000p always gives a long explanation when a short one ( brevity) is needed and gives a very short one in Morse Code when a real detailed explanation is needed. Did I say I found him interesting for my novel ?
By hattori kun - 9 Years Ago
It would help if a file that didn't work on your side be uploaded here and we can test on 3dx.
sw00000p (1/28/2015)
prabhatM (1/28/2015)
It has nothing to do with 3DX or ICLONE. I guess it's about the EXPORT OPTIONS in 3dmax.

Sw00000p's pointer should help.

ONLY refer to his second Image, forget about everythingelse.

SPECIAL NOTE : Sw00000p always gives a long explanation when a short one ( brevity) is needed and gives a very short one in Morse Code when a real detailed explanation is needed. Did I say I found him interesting for my novel ?

I have had enough of you shit!

GO TO HELL prabhatM!

I take the time to explain myself to the OP... not you asshole!

You actually took time to DEFINE YOURSELF who you really are. Well done.
actually prabbat - In this case swoop was being quite helpful, even I learned something from it. You started with him, when he was pointing the way to someone that understood and uses max. I smiled when I saw him post after me. Thank you for being helpful and supportive swoop Cool

planetstardragon (1/28/2015)
actually prabbat - In this case swoop was being quite helpful, even I learned something from it. You started with him, when he was pointing the way to someone that understood and uses max. I smiled when I saw him post after me. Thank you for being helpful and supportive swoop Cool

Did I say he was not being helpful ?

There is a definite pattern to his helpful notes.

I am sure you read the "Special Note" on Swoooop in my post. Remember that and observe his helpful notes after 5 weeks when his guards are down and he is not conscious of my observations.

You will have reasons to smile.

Or, you may browse his past TUTORIALS.

[ As a musician, I am sure you recognise a bad note. And as a former e-learning expert, I recognise a tutorial note that needs editing. Old habits die hard.]
Thanks TUTOR!!!! AWESOME STUFF!!

Despite the other dudes butt-hurtness Tongue, I DO appreciate it VERY MUCH!! BigGrin

I had to merge two profile so I'm not as new at this as I seem, and I find this place to be very helpful, friendly and fun! Iclone rocks!

Cheers and thanks all!

Todd
By colour - 9 Years Ago

+ 1

I fully support sWooooooooooP, on this occasion. Smile

prabaht's just another insignificant Forum Troll. Angry

By Popeye - 9 Years Ago

+2

As a max user that was good advice. Good job Swoop Smile
Hello! Thanks again.

You wrote:

I chose to import it in "Separate Pieces"

I attached everthing together and gave it an "Multi-SubOject" material.

These two things may be my issue. Any chance you can let me know how to do so? Eternally grateful!

Todd
but i don't know max Prabbat, my confidence ends where the truth begins. Swoop and the OP know max, the op appreciated the extra detail. I only jump on swoop when he speaks detailed max to an iclone only noobie - that's when it's out of place and even condescending at times, because we simply don't have, know or use those tools. but here he was right on point.

I don't pick on swoop, i only speak up for the community.

prabhatM (1/28/2015)

Did I say he was not being helpful ?

There is a definite pattern to his helpful notes.

I am sure you read the "Special Note" on Swoooop in my post. Remember that and observe his helpful notes after 5 weeks when his guards are down and he is not conscious of my observations.

You will have reasons to smile.

Or, you may browse his past TUTORIALS.

[ As a musician, I am sure you recognise a bad note. And as a former e-learning expert, I recognise a tutorial note that needs editing. Old habits die hard.]
but i don't know max Prabbat, my confidence ends where the truth begins. Swoop and the OP know max, the op appreciated the extra detail. I only jump on swoop when he speaks detailed max to an iclone only noobie - that's when it's out of place and even condescending at times, because we simply don't have, know or use those tools. but here he was right on point.

You don't have to know MAX if you are careful in your observation and if you have your logic in place.

1) The OP had tried the model IN and OUT of MAX to 3DX. That means he knows the basic operation of both the softwares.

2) He missed out the "TEXTURE EXPORT" option.

So simply tell him "WHERE TO SWITCH ON THE TEXTURE EXPORT OPTION". That's about it. Just the 2nd IMAGE in Sw00000p's tutorial note would have sufficed.

You don't need 5 images to tell the OP what to do, definitely not the 3DX part.

I freak out when my managers write BULKY REPORTS to show that they have been working hard. I like brevity. I like a single page report on most of the issues.

Prabhat

well next time you should respond first.

ya can't win! #keeptrying Tongue
well next time you should respond first.

ya can't win! #keeptrying Tongue

Who's trying to win ???
You got the whole thing misplaced.
I am, actually, I'm not...I already won...but Perhaps you simply don't realize you have been trying to compete yet Tongue
I am, actually, I'm not...I already won...but Perhaps you simply don't realize you have been trying to compete yet Tongue

You are creating your own fantasy. Good for you.
prabhatM (1/28/2015)

You are creating your own fantasy. Good for you.

that's how reality starts, life, love, morality, existing...is all in your mind.
"The mind is everything. What you think you become." - Buddha

I'm teaching you too much, I may have to start billing you Tongue

When people spend time with me in a closed room, only one person walks out at the end of the session as a well regarded teacher..... It has not changed in last many years, and probably it will not in near future.
prabhatM (1/28/2015)

When people spend time with me in a closed room, only one person walks out at the end of the session as a well regarded teacher..... It has not changed in last many years, and probably it will not in near future.

an open forum must be an exciting new adventure for you then! hahah! Tongue
[quote]

You failed to notice the "virtual pockets/closed space" even in this open forum.

prabhatM (1/28/2015)
[quote]

You failed to notice the "virtual pockets" even in this open forum.

you will have a chance to win, when i find it beneficial for you to do so. Wink
prabhatM (1/28/2015)
[quote]

You failed to notice the "virtual pockets" even in this open forum.

you will have a chance to win, when i find it beneficial for you to do so. Wink

Stand on your thumb for an hour every friday to have your fantasy come true.
prabhatM (1/28/2015)

Stand on your thumb for an hour every friday to have your fantasy come true.

if i let you win with a comment like that, it would be completely and utterly silly.

Fine, you win!
By Popeye - 9 Years Ago
Very nicely done Swoop Tongue
Swooop! Buddy, SO thankful!! Wow, this place always impresses, so kind! Smile

I watched both videos, and I can say that I understand now, and it helps to know I was doing things correctly.

HOWEVER!

Here are a couple of questions which would be awesome to have answered:

1. When I import a .max file, all textures, materials are applied, everything looks beautiful.

2. When I export it as a .obj and re-load it in, all textures have to be re-applied... my question is why? We already have the beautiful model in .max, why can't we simply export? It's like we have to "rebuild" the obj.

3. The creators of my object supplied me with .obj, .msx, .3ds... but why? The .max is the only one that holds the important stuff!

Thank you so much!

Thanks SO much for this, I am going to try and will report back!

Todd
By Waaaaaazup - 9 Years Ago
Hey there,

I tried your suggestion but no luck!

I load in the .max, looks great, save to scene, scene assests, along with all .jpgs and .mt file, but when I export as a .obj and load back in, none of the jpgs or mtl's appear, just weird colored objects.

Hi,

I tried all below but no luck. As always, the .max looks great and the .obj has no textures or .jpgs applied.

Thanks for trying, had a couple of questions:

~ Place the COMPLETE obj (WITH the .mtl) and textures in your:
• C: drive "Or the drive you installed max."
• (64 bit or 32) Program Files
• Autodesk (Verison of your max)
• IMPORT Folder

DID THIS

Now, import that baby and EVERYTHING works beautifully! [Wow]

When I import the OBJ it contains no materials.

1. Import the model. - LIKE IMPORT THE OBJ?
2. Save your max scene. - RESAVE AS .MAX?

3. NOW PLACE ALL OF YOUR TEXTURES... in your "Newly Saved"......
(My Documents - 3dsMax) SCENE folder.

DID THIS

4. Reset Max to a blank scene.
5. Open your saved file.

LIKE OPEN THE .MAX SCENE?

I guess the problem is as usual, the .max looks great, the .obj has weird colors and no jpgs or materials included.

I want to be able to get a .max model and export it as an obj for import into 3d exchange but it never holds the materials.

If anyone wants to take another shot at it it would be much appreciated!

I tried to upload files but the site doesnt allow for .max or .obj

Thanks all, much appreciated!
Here is the task in simple terms:

Buy a .max model
Export it as an obj with all assigned materials from 3dsmax
Import the .obj and it shows with all materials in .3ds max

That is what I want to be able to do in a nutshell!

UPLOADED SOME PHOTOS TO CLARIFY! - thanks to each of you!

Here are all of the files that the object came with:

Here is the .max loaded in, has all jpgs and material in it. I have included the render just so you can see.

When I export the .max as a .obj (with all correct settings) and then import it back into 3dsmax and this is what I get:

Any way to have it so that it imports as a .obj and shows some or all materials, textures, or .jpgs?

Thanks again!
Smile
my quick noobie fix to this would be to export DAE from Max, then converting it with the Autodesk FBX convertor, then try importing that to 3DX5 w00t

as a newbie, i tend to focus on things I know worked, than things that are supposed to work!

Hey thanks! I will do this!

- export DAE from Max
- converting it with the Autodesk FBX convertor
- then try importing that to 3DX5

Tried this, but upon DAE export is always gives me "material export fail"

If I put it into FBX convertor after that and load into 3dx5 it comes in as a totally white object.

Any ideas?
ahh, but not a total fail, this is proving there is a problem with the material somewhere in Max. It may not be something you are doing wrong at all, but a bug.

You may have to do something that resets the materials, ie - baking the textures to new uv's to eliminate the error / bug
swoop, what if he deleted the .mtl file ....would that cause max to generate a new one or cause an error ?

edit - nevermind, i'm thinking an error, because if it's missing - max wont know where to look or max already converted the bad mat file and will only save the errors again.
your advice is sound, what got me with this is that he's getting the export error with dae ...so it's evident that for some reason max isn't exporting files properly to begin with.

The notepad fix makes sense. Smile

Just wondering what other ways of resetting materials there are as I run into that issue as well. I do know that sometimes exporting to dae from a software sometimes fixes issues, but obviously not always.
yeah, but i can see the workflow in max be like

"Hey, I figured it out, I just passed the same file to you...not my problem if you can't fix it" lol

so just because it isn't an error to max, max may not do anything to make it friendly for anyone else, like their fbx fiasco and everyone making their own versions of it Pinch
thanks for reminding me why i avoid max w00t

serious man, a kitten day just to set up directories! no wonder most of todays movies stink!

"Sorry kids, no time to make good stories or be entertaining, we use adult tools and polish stuff! there, it's shiny, that's entertainment, now pay me!"
if it was done by default he wouldn't be having problems exporting basic textures now would he?!
........ Pinch
because the 3DS Max audience is slowly dwindling ? Hehe
looks like this is on you tknight

imo max is devoid of common sense
but swoop insists you are doing some thing wrong.

I got a bunch of textureless models myself, but i sneeze when i try to fix em and just move on to a next model if i can't.
sw00000p (2/1/2015)
It's not 3ds Max's fault people can't follow direction!
...especially if it's an.... Unregistered or Illegal Version. Ermm

Imagine spending 3,500 bucks. Don't you think autodesk support would help you????
Com 'On!w00t

nah, not necessarily true, some of these files are on random legit share sites,
so it could be something the user who made the model is doing wrong also, at least from what I've seen

that's why your pointer fix made sense to me, i could probably revisit these blank files I have and just update the mtl files to match my computer - reimport
This is what the mtl file showed:

# 3ds Max Wavefront OBJ Exporter v0.97b - (c)2007 guruware
# File Created: 15.02.2014 21:08:21

newmtl wire_229166215
   Ns 32
   d 1
   Tr 0
   Tf 1 1 1
   illum 2
   Ka 0.8980 0.6510 0.8431
   Kd 0.8980 0.6510 0.8431
   Ks 0.3500 0.3500 0.3500

newmtl wire_143224087
   Ns 32
   d 1
   Tr 0
   Tf 1 1 1
   illum 2
   Ka 0.5608 0.8784 0.3412
   Kd 0.5608 0.8784 0.3412
   Ks 0.3500 0.3500 0.3500

newmtl wire_006134058
   Ns 32
   d 1
   Tr 0
   Tf 1 1 1
   illum 2
   Ka 0.0235 0.5255 0.2275
   Kd 0.0235 0.5255 0.2275
   Ks 0.3500 0.3500 0.3500

newmtl wire_088088225
   Ns 32
   d 1
   Tr 0
   Tf 1 1 1
   illum 2
   Ka 0.3451 0.3451 0.8824
   Kd 0.3451 0.3451 0.8824
   Ks 0.3500 0.3500 0.3500

newmtl wire_214228153
   Ns 32
   d 1
   Tr 0
   Tf 1 1 1
   illum 2
   Ka 0.8392 0.8941 0.6000
   Kd 0.8392 0.8941 0.6000
   Ks 0.3500 0.3500 0.3500

newmtl wire_145028177
   Ns 32
   d 1
   Tr 0
   Tf 1 1 1
   illum 2
   Ka 0.5686 0.1098 0.6941
   Kd 0.5686 0.1098 0.6941
   Ks 0.3500 0.3500 0.3500

newmtl wire_057008136
   Ns 32
   d 1
   Tr 0
   Tf 1 1 1
   illum 2
   Ka 0.2235 0.0314 0.5333
   Kd 0.2235 0.0314 0.5333
   Ks 0.3500 0.3500 0.3500

newmtl wire_153228153
   Ns 32
   d 1
   Tr 0
   Tf 1 1 1
   illum 2
   Ka 0.6000 0.8941 0.6000
   Kd 0.6000 0.8941 0.6000
   Ks 0.3500 0.3500 0.3500

newmtl wire_227152152
   Ns 32
   d 1
   Tr 0
   Tf 1 1 1
   illum 2
   Ka 0.8902 0.5961 0.5961
   Kd 0.8902 0.5961 0.5961
   Ks 0.3500 0.3500 0.3500

newmtl wire_141007058
   Ns 32
   d 1
   Tr 0
   Tf 1 1 1
   illum 2
   Ka 0.5529 0.0275 0.2275
   Kd 0.5529 0.0275 0.2275
   Ks 0.3500 0.3500 0.3500

newmtl wire_085028177
   Ns 32
   d 1
   Tr 0
   Tf 1 1 1
   illum 2
   Ka 0.3333 0.1098 0.6941
   Kd 0.3333 0.1098 0.6941
   Ks 0.3500 0.3500 0.3500

newmtl wire_087224143
   Ns 32
   d 1
   Tr 0
   Tf 1 1 1
   illum 2
   Ka 0.3412 0.8784 0.5608
   Kd 0.3412 0.8784 0.5608
   Ks 0.3500 0.3500 0.3500

newmtl wire_087224087
   Ns 32
   d 1
   Tr 0
   Tf 1 1 1
   illum 2
   Ka 0.3412 0.8784 0.3412
   Kd 0.3412 0.8784 0.3412
   Ks 0.3500 0.3500 0.3500

newmtl wire_008008136
   Ns 32
   d 1
   Tr 0
   Tf 1 1 1
   illum 2
   Ka 0.0314 0.0314 0.5333
   Kd 0.0314 0.0314 0.5333
   Ks 0.3500 0.3500 0.3500

newmtl wire_228214153
   Ns 32
   d 1
   Tr 0
   Tf 1 1 1
   illum 2
   Ka 0.8941 0.8392 0.6000
   Kd 0.8941 0.8392 0.6000
   Ks 0.3500 0.3500 0.3500

newmtl wire_177026088
   Ns 32
   d 1
   Tr 0
   Tf 1 1 1
   illum 2
   Ka 0.6941 0.1020 0.3451
   Kd 0.6941 0.1020 0.3451
   Ks 0.3500 0.3500 0.3500

newmtl wire_088177026
   Ns 32
   d 1
   Tr 0
   Tf 1 1 1
   illum 2
   Ka 0.3451 0.6941 0.1020
   Kd 0.3451 0.6941 0.1020
   Ks 0.3500 0.3500 0.3500

newmtl wire_184228153
   Ns 32
   d 1
   Tr 0
   Tf 1 1 1
   illum 2
   Ka 0.7216 0.8941 0.6000
   Kd 0.7216 0.8941 0.6000
   Ks 0.3500 0.3500 0.3500

newmtl wire_088143225
   Ns 32
   d 1
   Tr 0
   Tf 1 1 1
   illum 2
   Ka 0.3451 0.5608 0.8824
   Kd 0.3451 0.5608 0.8824
   Ks 0.3500 0.3500 0.3500

newmtl wire_026177088
   Ns 32
   d 1
   Tr 0
   Tf 1 1 1
   illum 2
   Ka 0.1020 0.6941 0.3451
   Kd 0.1020 0.6941 0.3451
   Ks 0.3500 0.3500 0.3500

newmtl wire_026177026
   Ns 32
   d 1
   Tr 0
   Tf 1 1 1
   illum 2
   Ka 0.1020 0.6941 0.1020
   Kd 0.1020 0.6941 0.1020
   Ks 0.3500 0.3500 0.3500

newmtl wire_008061138
   Ns 32
   d 1
   Tr 0
   Tf 1 1 1
   illum 2
   Ka 0.0314 0.2392 0.5412
   Kd 0.0314 0.2392 0.5412
   Ks 0.3500 0.3500 0.3500

newmtl wire_224086086
   Ns 32
   d 1
   Tr 0
   Tf 1 1 1
   illum 2
   Ka 0.8784 0.3373 0.3373
   Kd 0.8784 0.3373 0.3373
   Ks 0.3500 0.3500 0.3500

newmtl wire_153228214
   Ns 32
   d 1
   Tr 0
   Tf 1 1 1
   illum 2
   Ka 0.6000 0.8941 0.8392
   Kd 0.6000 0.8941 0.8392
   Ks 0.3500 0.3500 0.3500

newmtl wire_228184153
   Ns 32
   d 1
   Tr 0
   Tf 1 1 1
   illum 2
   Ka 0.8941 0.7216 0.6000
   Kd 0.8941 0.7216 0.6000
   Ks 0.3500 0.3500 0.3500

newmtl wire_108008136
   Ns 32
   d 1
   Tr 0
   Tf 1 1 1
   illum 2
   Ka 0.4235 0.0314 0.5333
   Kd 0.4235 0.0314 0.5333
   Ks 0.3500 0.3500 0.3500

newmtl wire_196088225
   Ns 32
   d 1
   Tr 0
   Tf 1 1 1
   illum 2
   Ka 0.7686 0.3451 0.8824
   Kd 0.7686 0.3451 0.8824
   Ks 0.3500 0.3500 0.3500

newmtl wire_028149177
   Ns 32
   d 1
   Tr 0
   Tf 1 1 1
   illum 2
   Ka 0.1098 0.5843 0.6941
   Kd 0.1098 0.5843 0.6941
   Ks 0.3500 0.3500 0.3500

newmtl wire_177088026
   Ns 32
   d 1
   Tr 0
   Tf 1 1 1
   illum 2
   Ka 0.6941 0.3451 0.1020
   Kd 0.6941 0.3451 0.1020
   Ks 0.3500 0.3500 0.3500

newmtl wire_224143087
   Ns 32
   d 1
   Tr 0
   Tf 1 1 1
   illum 2
   Ka 0.8784 0.5608 0.3412
   Kd 0.8784 0.5608 0.3412
   Ks 0.3500 0.3500 0.3500

newmtl wire_138008110
   Ns 32
   d 1
   Tr 0
   Tf 1 1 1
   illum 2
   Ka 0.5412 0.0314 0.4314
   Kd 0.5412 0.0314 0.4314
   Ks 0.3500 0.3500 0.3500
i get it often specifically with architectural stuff I get from places like turbosquid freebies - some models load fine, others seem to either be missing textures or something, it could be a bunch of issues, but i'd rather not waste time when I could just get something else ? I still have em though and would have to dig em out.

Maybe tk can pm his model to you for inspection though, as the point of this thread was to help him fix his model Tongue
well yeah, that makes sense, having no textures would cause issues when trying to import textures! w00t
By momillis - 9 Years Ago
Some people need to learn to use a forum properly or not at all! Just saying... Wow