Using Mirror Props In Iclone 6

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic216911.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By williamv59 - 9 Years Ago
Can someone please help ? I purchased some mirror props for use in Iclone 5 and they work just fine there. However, I cannot get these same props to work in Iclone 6 - I am frustrated that I cannot solve this problem ! Is there anyone out there who knows of a solution - If so could you please throw some light and give some step by step instructions as to how to get mirrors to work in general ?
Thank you
Bill V
By justaviking - 9 Years Ago
I love iClone 6, but... no mirrors.

There is some sort of problem stopping the iClone 5 mirror prop from working in 6.  I don't recall anyone solving that yet.

Reflections always have been, and continue to be an issue in iClone.

Water works great, but other reflections don't.  I documented it here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rvJ_PGhZVw

Thank you very much for your reply regarding reflection problems and mirrors.
It seems odd that Iclone 6 should be released which at the very least should support all the features of Iclone 5 first before adding new features.
Do you think the developers of Iclone 6 are aware of this problem and if so do they intend to fix it sooner than later ? I must say the new interface is good but remain skeptical of backward compatibility
Again thanks for your reply Smile
I think the "mirror prop" in iC5 was a kludge* put together by a user or a content developer (not the iClone development team, but a user who makes stuff to sell).  It was more of a hack.

Not to make excuses, but reflections are much more difficult than one would think.  But not impossible.  There are solutions, and the beautiful reflections in water prove it's possible.

So I keep pushing for Reallusion to work on that (without shouting or flinging insults).  I'm hoping they'll address that when the added support for a PBR shader.

Sadly, this leaves you without a good solution.  Some people make a video from the mirror's perspective, render it, and then put that video on the "mirror" surface.  I did that once when I guy looked into a TV camera and saw himself on a monitor.  It's extra work, but if you need it badly enough at least you can make your project.

By william.carey30 - 9 Years Ago
OK, idiot question: What is the iClone 5 mirror prop? Did it come with iClone 5, or do you download it somewhere?

Thanks,

Bill Carey
Idiot answer:  I don't know.

I've seen people talk about it.  I never had it or use it.  I'm not sure exactly where you get it.

By animagic - 9 Years Ago
The mirror prop was unofficial. It was in IC5 beta, but never released. However, someone mentioned it, and we kept asking, and then Peter (RL) gave the download link.

The lack of a mirror in iClone 6 is troublesome, because I need it for my story...Angry

By mark - 9 Years Ago
This is how I do my whacky mirrors in iClone....BigGrin

By namunger - 9 Years Ago
Nice! Unrelated question - how'd you get all your toolbars docked on the same side? I've got some on the right, and some on the left.
By mark - 9 Years Ago
namunger (1/12/2015)
Nice! Unrelated question - how'd you get all your toolbars docked on the same side? I've got some on the right, and some on the left.

Typically it's just a matter of grabbing the "Green Bar" and un-docking it from it's current location and dragging to where you want it. It took me a bit of trial and error to figure out what was going on but after a few times got what I wanted. If you watch closely you'll see a faint blue panel appear at the top or the side at that point you can dock windows...once again trial and error will get you there...BigGrinBigGrinBigGrin
By theschemer - 9 Years Ago
Here is the thread and the link to the RL mirror prop.

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic128803-281-1.aspx?Highlight=mirror

Hope that helps,
TS
By mark - 9 Years Ago
It should work in iC5, but it's tricky. I couldn't get it to work at all in iC6 at this point in time.
The mirror prop doesn't work in iClone 6. It's just invisible...Unsure

In iClone 5 it works, but it is definitely tricky, especially in closed spaces; rooms and such.

I've noticed that RL is very quiet about mirrors...Blink

By mark - 9 Years Ago
I think we need a crystal ball where RL is concerned! TongueTongueTongueTongueTongue
By namunger - 9 Years Ago
mark (1/12/2015)
namunger (1/12/2015)

Typically it's just a matter of grabbing the "Green Bar" and un-docking it from it's current location and dragging to where you want it. It took me a bit of trial and error to figure out what was going on but after a few times got what I wanted. If you watch closely you'll see a faint blue panel appear at the top or the side at that point you can dock windows...once again trial and error will get you there...BigGrinBigGrinBigGrin

Sweet, thanks!
By mark - 9 Years Ago
SO BUILD IT AND SHOW US IN.... ICLONE!!!
mark (1/13/2015)

+1 Tongue

By Popeye - 9 Years Ago
sw00000p (1/13/2015)
animagic (1/13/2015)
mark (1/13/2015)

... "I'll watch foracrystal ball to appear, then contemplate...learning ya!" Tongue

TongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongue
By colour - 9 Years Ago
Popeye (1/13/2015)
sw00000p (1/13/2015)
animagic (1/13/2015)
mark (1/13/2015)

... "I'll watch foracrystal ball to appear, then contemplate...learning ya!" Tongue

TongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongue

BigGrinBigGrinBigGrinBigGrinBigGrinBigGrinBigGrinBigGrinBigGrinBigGrinBigGrinBigGrinBigGrin

By mark - 9 Years Ago
...please dear swope "think" before you give your gloriously cryptic "techno-babble" advice! Which I'm sure, on some level, is valuable to someone...Wink
just not to anyone trying to use iCLONE...in my opinion!TongueTongueTongueTongue

I know you are trying to lift us to a new level of expertise but your ability to teach needs a little work. I still want to see something/anything you have done in iClone with all your knowledge that would make anyone want to follow your advice regarding the use of iClone.

I am normally quiet when you advise but I just had to speak up this time, hopefully I'll learn to keep my mouth shut. I'm sure you could offer good advice to someone if you just had the communication skills. I for one am very ignorant of so many things you are talking about but I really have no desire to learn them given your style.

Knowledge without Wisdom....Wink

Please forgive my rant and hoping you will accept it in love.!BigGrin
By mtakerkart - 9 Years Ago
Swooop is a very strange mammal creature... If you read his old thread of his beginning in Iclone , you can see that he had a normal behavior with a certain humility that all beginners have. But all of his own trhead were deleted by him but some were kept in the quote response of people helping him to progress. It will be very interesting to understand where , how and why he switched to Swooop in a anthropological way...
For me I don't have animosity with this behavior , it look's like autistic people , there're brilliant but difficult to understand and often very frustrating not join their thoughts....
But I think he's is very useful for Reallusion and us Smile

Thank you Swooop !! Smile
The mirror prop I used in Iclone 5 was purchased from the Iclone MarketPlace and was built by "Granny" the link is shown below:
http://city.reallusion.com/ContentPreview.aspx?i=JICccf475aedc62401a8
It is called "Perfect Reflection Mirrors" and worked a treat in Iclone 5 but as I said in my first post I cannot get it to work in Iclone 6 and am truly at my wits end trying to get it to function.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
By Sen - 9 Years Ago
@william : Product description
PLEASE NOTE - this pack is for iClone 5 - the mirror planes will not work in iClone 6.
By mark - 9 Years Ago
mtakerkart (1/13/2015)
Swooop is a very strange mammal creature... If you read his old thread of his beginning in Iclone , you can see that he had a normal behavior with a certain humility that all beginners have. But all of his own trhead were deleted by him but some were kept in the quote response of people helping him to progress. It will be very interesting to understand where , how and why he switched to Swooop in a anthropological way...
For me I don't have animosity with this behavior , it look's like autistic people , there're brilliant but difficult to understand and often very frustrating not join their thoughts....
But I think he's is very useful for Reallusion and us Smile

Thank you Swooop !! Smile

You are indeed correct! I am stepping off and burning my soapbox!!!BigGrinBigGrinBigGrin
By colour - 9 Years Ago
The Forum would be a lesser place without sW00000000000p BigGrin 
By mark - 9 Years Ago
...leans in to kiss swoope on the forehead Tongue
mark (1/14/2015)

Mark, you start to talk like Planet...Crazy That worries me...Unsure

By mark - 9 Years Ago
animagic (1/14/2015)
mark (1/14/2015)

Mark, you start to talk like Planet...Crazy That worries me...Unsure

..and who's to say were not one and the same!!! TongueTongueTongueTongueTongue
By pinguintje - 9 Years Ago
Come on IC6 you can do it

You want a mirror in IC6?

Ingredients:

• Pop video (iClone5 32 bit)
  • A beautiful lady
  • A mirror
  • Box 01 with material Glass 02

And this is the result........and it works.

Best Regards,

Arie

By mark - 9 Years Ago
Lovely Arie!!!BigGrin
I know that it works in iclone 5 and that is my frustration
I tried your solution in iclone 6 and I cannot get that to work at all.
Can you please give some step by step instructions as to how you achieved this iclone 6 ?
Thanks in advance

Regards
Williamv
By mark - 9 Years Ago
Well....my previous post on page one, of this thread, was a tute for iC6. I'll admit it wasn't a very good tute but pretty straight forward I thought....Wink
By pinguintje - 9 Years Ago
@williamv

As you know mirrors don't work in iClone6. Mark has made a good tute.SmileSmileSmile
I'll try to explain (in my best Dutch-English) how to make a substitute mirror.

-Launch iClone5 (32bit)
-Hide grid (Ctrl+g)
-Disable shadow
-add Gwynn
-add motion "posing in front of mirror" (=511 frames)
-export the popVideo
-select in modify panel:
.iClone popVideo
.video quality:8
.outputsize 500x1000
.framerate=30
.outputrange: 1-511 (=motion lenght)
-Save the popVideo on your disk

-Launch iClone6
-add Gwynn
-add motion "posing in front of mirror" (in frame 1)
-add a Mirror (I took the one of Granny J-Mirror ornate gold)
- I scaled the mirror to :X=100 Y=182,8 Z=241
-import the popVideo in frame 1(find file on your disk and drag with Ctrl in iClone)
-turn the popVideo 180 degr. (Z=180)
-scale the popVideo as needed (I scaled in this case to 65%)
-place the popvideo just behind the mirror
-add Box01 (prop). I scaled it X=143 Y=3,7 Z=220,2
-add the material Glass02 on this box
-place the box behind the mirror and the popVideo
-copy Box01, remove textures and set diffuse and ambient color to RGB 100-100-100
-place this box after the first box

Now it should work.

This is an example, you can do it as you want.

Best Regards,
Arie

Ok thank you for the detailed instructions but it is not really what I am after as you have said you need to create a video and then reverse it so that you have 2 movements going on at the same time.
What I am after in Icone 6 is a proper functioning mirror as used in Iclone 5 and hopefully Realussion will include this in an update.
Come on people in Iclone 6 - You Can Do It !!!
Regards
Williamv
By mark - 9 Years Ago
Yep! I've been asking for one since iC4!!!w00t
mark (1/16/2015)
Yep! I've been asking for one since iC4!!!w00t

I think it's one of the most ignored feature requests...Crying

It's not for lack of trying...Tongue

By william.carey30 - 9 Years Ago
Thanks, Schemer! I love the mirror prop (see attached). The only negative thing, I have to say about it, is that it doesn't reflect shadows (also, too bad it doesn't work in 6, but I'm using 5 anyway).

Bill Carey
By theschemer - 9 Years Ago
You are welcome. Glad I could help. Better in iClone 5 than in neither. BigGrin
TS
By mark - 9 Years Ago
SO PLEEEEEEEEASE SHOW ME!!! I'm too simple to understand. Do you even have a recent copy of iClone swope?

iClone "Reflection" does not work correctly on a flat plane! The reflection is "enlarged and pixilated". Only "Water" works "somewhat" correctly but it cannot be rotated perpendicular to the ground.

At this point in time only a "curved" prop can create a "kinda" useable reflection surface.

PLEASE prove me wrong!!!!Wink
By 4u2ges - 8 Years Ago
So? Any other solution out there since last year (except rotating everything by 90 degrees, but water) ?
By animagic - 8 Years Ago
gurgen_06 (5/17/2016)
So? Any other solution out there since last year (except rotating everything by 90 degrees, but water) ?

No, but I entered a feature request in the Feedback Tracker that you can vote for. Please vote! We want it to be Assigned, not just Active!

Link: http://www.reallusion.com/FeedBackTracker/Issue/Add-a-functioning-mirror.
By action_2009 - 6 Years Ago
Hi Wil
There used to be a Prop for iClone 5 (mirrorplain) that also works in iClone6.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e5609920-248f-464b-82a6-c657.gif
Mirroplain

Give it a try.