SketchUp with iClone4 pro

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic176531.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Heatseeker - 10 Years Ago
Hi, I'm wondering if it's worthwhile downloading SketchUp Make to use with iClone4. It's something else to learn and I've read that the download could be 'Iffy'. Unsure

Any ideas would be great, thanks in advance.Smile

By planetstardragon - 10 Years Ago
Hi Heatseeker,

Welcome to the forum Smile

It would be worth if only if you had 3Dxchange - which is the software used to import/convert 3rd party models for iclone. Otherwise iclone alone won't be able to import anything beyond it's own proprietary formats.

Sketchup isn't so hard to learn to make simple stuff - it's not to say that you can't build more complex structures with it also - ie built to scale / spec with extreme detail - but for basic nice iclone models for filming it's fairly simple / straightforward.

Cheers!

planetstardragon (2/1/2014)
Hi Heatseeker,

Welcome to the forum Smile

It would be worth if only if you had 3Dxchange - which is the software used to import/convert 3rd party models for iclone. Otherwise iclone alone won't be able to import anything beyond it's own proprietary formats.

Sketchup isn't so hard to learn to make simple stuff - it's not to say that you can't build more complex structures with it also - ie built to scale / spec with extreme detail - but for basic nice iclone models for filming it's fairly simple / straightforward.

Cheers!

Hi planetstardragon,thanks for your help. I do have 3DXchange so I will probably have a go with SketchUp.

Thanks again for your help and advice. Smile

By wires - 10 Years Ago
One thing to think about if you plan to use the latest version of SketchUp. 3DXchange only supports SketchUp .skp files up to version 8.

In order to use models created with the new version you need to use the "Save As" option under "File" and select Sketchup version 8 from the drop down list.

wires (2/2/2014)
One thing to think about if you plan to use the latest version of SketchUp. 3DXchange only supports SketchUp .skp files up to version 8.

In order to use models created with the new version you need to use the "Save As" option under "File" and select Sketchup version 8 from the drop down list.

Thanks for that Wires, I'm using 3DXchange 4 pro, am I right to assume SketchUp V8 will be okay with that.Smile

By wires - 10 Years Ago
SketchUp ver. 7 & 8 models can be opened in 3DXchange 4.11, any version before that could only open models from SketchUp ver. 6.
That's great, 3DXchange 4.11 is exactly what I have, thanks GerrySmile
By BiggsTrek - 10 Years Ago
I also recommend Sketchup 8 rather than the very latest.

Smile
By animagic - 10 Years Ago
biggstrek (2/2/2014)
I also recommend Sketchup 8 rather than the very latest.

Smile

I agree. Sketchup Make (the latest) has a very restrictive EULA.