Character Pipeline Production

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic171141.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Jsted62 - 6 Years Ago
It would be a huge help to have access to the pre-designed CrazyTalk Animator 2 clothes, pants, eyes, etc. Then we could make alterations for the G2 characters Reallusion has already created angles for rather than having to create them from scratch.

For instance, for Saul I'd like to be able to access the 0 degree, 45 degree, etc. angles of his t-shirt and add a t-shirt design.

The CrazyTalk Animator 2 template I'm talking about is the one that appears when you click Saul's upper torso in Character Composer, open the Sprite Editor and choose Full Angle Settings. I assume since the software references that graphics group it exists somewhere together. It would be great to be able to alter it in Photoshop and re-import into the program.
By lamar002 - 6 Years Ago
Well I have not been able to get the pipeline white paper to import correctly using draw plus... I was a little shocked at all the steps needed to get it to work. I think I should have gone with iclone instead... after naming all of the parts they just wont show up in crazy talk.
By Peter (RL) - 6 Years Ago
Jsted62 (1/29/2014)
It would be a huge help to have access to the pre-designed CrazyTalk Animator 2 clothes, pants, eyes, etc. Then we could make alterations for the G2 characters Reallusion has already created angles for rather than having to create them from scratch.

For instance, for Saul I'd like to be able to access the 0 degree, 45 degree, etc. angles of his t-shirt and add a t-shirt design.

The CrazyTalk Animator 2 template I'm talking about is the one that appears when you click Saul's upper torso in Character Composer, open the Sprite Editor and choose Full Angle Settings. I assume since the software references that graphics group it exists somewhere together. It would be great to be able to alter it in Photoshop and re-import into the program.

While not exactly what you are looking for, you can get the same results by selecting the angle you want, zoom in on the item of clothing and then do a screen capture. Then you can edit the item of clothing in your image software or drawing  package and bring it back in via Sprite replacement.

By Peter (RL) - 2 Years Ago
Hi... Please take a look at the tutorials below. They will help you get started with creating new G2 characters using the Flash template.

CrazyTalk Animator 2 Tutorial - Basic Character Creation in Flash Part 1
https://youtu.be/6O1gcLUbeuY

CrazyTalk Animator 2 Tutorial - Basic Character Creation in Flash Part 2
https://youtu.be/yvPxcReoOko

CrazyTalk Animator 2 Tutorial - Multi Angle G2 Character Creation in Flash
https://youtu.be/53dzgRh0Xts

By IHatePie - 7 Years Ago
So the assumption is that anyone who wants to create a character will want to create a multi-dimensional character. That's too bad really, because I could care less for multidimensional characters, but I still want to create my own characters, and to do so, I must use the same old tired process that was already available in CTA1, sprite replacements, piece by piece. So all of those requests asking for better character creation fell on deaf ears.
soytinatiu (12/29/2013)
Thanks for the response. You made my day. BigGrin I also appreciate the link to the place where this is being discussed. I will await to see if Drawplus5 is enough or if I have to upgrade to Drawplus x6. I can hardly wait for the Drawplus templates. A really good product just became awesome.

Appreciate it!

DrawPlus x5 is compatible with the Character Template. Smile

By soytinatiu - 7 Years Ago
Thanks for the response. You made my day. BigGrin I also appreciate the link to the place where this is being discussed. I will await to see if Drawplus5 is enough or if I have to upgrade to Drawplus x6. I can hardly wait for the Drawplus templates. A really good product just became awesome.

Appreciate it!

By etourist - 6 Years Ago
I feel the Custom character template White Paper (for DrawPlus at least) is very comprehensive and does a great job of explaining the process of creating and importing your own characters.

Sure the process takes quite some time and could use some streamlining but ultimately it produces very versatile characters that are a breeze to create some very complex motions for in minutes.

As much as it'll be nice to have custom character video tutorials eventually there's no real need to sit around waiting for them.
By Peter (RL) - 4 Years Ago
Ottinho (5/12/2016)
Hi guys!

Where can I find the Flash template for G2 characters?

Thanks!

If you have CrazyTalk Animator 2 Pipeline you can find the G2 Flash Template in your Member Account. Just click the "Patch/Bonus" link for CTA2. Smile
By alemar - 7 Years Ago
Nice Bruce! Thank you!
flatcap (1/22/2014)
i am really disapointed with no serif template after all reallusion made a big deal of crazytalk and serif programs working together so i was surprised that to make my own characters i need to purchase adobe flash program. Which i have no intention of buying.
Reallusion should have made that clear in the advertising, i would have not bothered buying cta2
i did ask in a previous post if there would be an alternitive way of creating characters to shelling out on adobe flash using serif drawplus. which would make sense to me and all the other users who have purchased serif drawplus so we could use it in tandem with cta 1

You do not need to buy Adobe Flash. The DrawPlus Character Template and Whitepaper are now available. Pipeline users can login to their Member Account and find them under Patch/Bonus.

By etourist - 7 Years Ago
Thanks for drawing my attention to that thread narf2n. I did look around before asking the question but didn't see any obvious topics discussing the idea.

Good to know.
cirwintech (3/2/2014)
Any Idea when the training videos will be out, I have started creating a couple of Characters but the going is slow I am using the DrawPlus6 template but the going is slow, partly because I am not a cartoonist by trade and partly because creating a Character is Like writing COBOL 20 pages of code for 1 line of output. I love CTA2 Pipeline provides allot of options and it produces a very professional finished product. I hope to be able to list some of my Characters in the future but I am working on an animation project that needs to be finished by Aug so time is of the essence. Thanks in advance

We don't have a CTA2 Training DVD as yet but do keep a check on our CTA2 video tutorials page. The number of tutorials is growing constantly and now numbers 15, including a two part tutorial on creating characters from 2D images. Please click the link below to find them.

CrazyTalk Animator 2 Video Tutorials

By flatcap - 6 Years Ago
i am really disapointed with no serif template after all reallusion made a big deal of crazytalk and serif programs working together so i was surprised that to make my own characters i need to purchase adobe flash program. Which i have no intention of buying.
Reallusion should have made that clear in the advertising, i would have not bothered buying cta2
i did ask in a previous post if there would be an alternitive way of creating characters to shelling out on adobe flash using serif drawplus. which would make sense to me and all the other users who have purchased serif drawplus so we could use it in tandem with cta 1
By Ottinho - 4 Years Ago
Hi guys!

Where can I find the Flash template for G2 characters?

Thanks!
By Bruce (RL) - 7 Years Ago
Dear all,

Thank you for downloading CrazyTalk Animator 2 and providing us with your valuable feedback. You may notice some big differences between CTA 1 & 2, one of these being the Body Photo Fitting feature. In CTA 2, body photo fitting is no longer a suitable character production procedure for multi-dimensional characters, so we now fully depend on the character composer to assemble characters. However, in CTA 2, we also provide a new workflow for creating your own characters.

We have a collection of training resources available to help you with character creation. However, these training resources are not yet complete, and we’re attempting to speed up their production, particularly for the tutorials and help files.

Aside from that, we currently have the Character Pipeline Whitepaper available as a valuable character production tool for you. For those of you who would like to learn the details of the import process for characters designed in Flash, we encourage you to register any edition of CrazyTalk Animator 2 under your Reallusion member account in order to gain access to these valuable documents from your member page.

The following is our current schedule for production resources and training material for the character production pipeline:

1. Whitepaper (Released)
Register any edition of CrazyTalk Animator 2 under your Reallusion member account to gain access to this valuable document in your personal member page. How to Register Log in

2. Video Tutorial - Imaged-based Character Creation

3. Video Tutorial - Using our Flash Template for Multi-dimensional Character Creation

If you have any suggestion or feedback regarding the Whitepaper or any other learning topic regarding the character production pipeline, please leave your comments in this thread.

By Ibis Fernandez - 6 Years Ago
wizaerd (2/6/2014)
I'm curious if RL has any plans on loosening up of the symmetrical requirements for importing new characters. As it stands, everything has to be so straight, so evenly matched, and so symmetrical. If I'm creating a character, I may want a stooped over character, or a hunchback character, or even something like a pirate with a peg leg (and no foot) that the current methodology frowns upon.

i think the symmetrical requirements mostly really apply toward the formation of the skeletal structure. You should still be able to draw your characters any way you like, you just have to exercise extra creativity in setting them up. for example using the back hair or even the neck for the hunch in your hunch back. or placing the pivot point in body part regions that you would not expect the pivot point to be at.

Also once the character is rigged, it seems you can adjust the size of bones and bodyparts from within CTA itself. Though, I wouldn't expect a prefab walk cycle to work perfectly with a pirate whose leg might be longer than his pegleg... you'd have to create custom animation to make that walk look more believable.
By etourist - 7 Years Ago
Since Serif Draw Plus was promoted with CTA1 as an ideal companion tool I was wondering if it was at all possible to use Serif Draw to create G2 Characters/character views?

My thoughts were that perhaps a Dummy template character file could be created for Serif Draws native file format with all the layers named correctly so that users could just redraw the various body parts on the corresponding layer for each view. Then the whole thing is exported out as a .swf file and imported into CTA2 as per the Flash to CTA2 work flow.

I'm certainly not a flash expert so I don't know if Serif's flash export structure even compares with native flash export but if there was some way to use Serif Draw to create G2 characters in this way then I'd be very happy indeed.

Part of the reason I went down the CTA1 rabbit hole is because I didn't need Adobe's Flash editor to create cartoon animation. I really don't want to buy Flash just for character creation in CTA2.

By CreativeSoulTV - 6 Years Ago
Sorry, to inform you my friend but you will have draw, create and import each and every part to your character. I've working on my character and it's taking forever to complete, Ibis aka Toontitan created several great video tutorials using his "Puppet Producer" CTA2 plugin that's very helpful.

Search the forum for it and good luck!
By etourist - 5 Years Ago
The DrawPlus template comes with an xls spreadsheet that lists all the names of the various components. It looks complex but actually isn't since the majority of names across angles are  the same just with the angle number changed to the angle that component belongs too.

That said, there is also an issue where the template doesn't always import components that have been created simply by mirroring existing components e.g. mirroring the left hand to become a right hand etc. It seems pretty random as some mirrored components do import whilst others don't and I've yet to pin point what causes something not to import correctly.

Currently the only workable solution is to import the entire template then add in anything that didn't import successfully using the character composer to import the missing parts as individual sprites.

I've also had problems with the DrawPlus template not allowing me to name layers with names that include the underscore character by directly typing the underscore as part of the name, however I can cut and paste the underscore into the names using the original layer names. Don't know if anyone else if having that issue? Could be just me.
By niceblinkluck - 6 Years Ago
I think the pipeline Template tutorial for creating your own vector character is well overdue and everyone knows it... if I hadn't turned to the Puppet producer and Ibis's tutorials id be pretty annoyed with CTA2 about now...by the time it does come out it will feel pretty out of date ..John 
By robbiefowler - 7 Years Ago
Hi there

Just trialling CTA2 - where is the Flash template to trial importing a multi-dimensional character?

Is this possible in the trial version?

Thanks

By jlittle - 6 Years Ago
There are two different template files, one for flash (.fla, .swf) and one for Drawplus (.dpa)

Check you user account, there should be two different downloads, one for flash and one for DP.

Jeff

By animagic - 7 Years Ago
I agree, it would be great not to have to rely on Flash, which has become overly expensive over the years.
By etourist - 6 Years Ago
Strumpf (2/28/2014)
Terribly disappointed with CTA2. I cannot seem to create a transparent head although the jpg AND png images used are all transparent.
Also it is not possible to import CTA1 characters and move them normally.
for people who need continuity in their work this is a disaster.

jpg images do not support transparency. PNG images you must define the transparent regions in an external image editor before importing them into CTA2. CTA2 no longer has the masking features of CTA1 to create transparent regions in imported images. All that must be done in external image editors.

I've had no trouble importing CTA1 characters and animating them the same way as in CTA1. Simply stick to the tools and motions designed for G1 characters (such as 2D motions and the 2D motion editor) and you should be right at home - the process is virtually identical to CTA1.
clearing up my last post I was of course referring to the character template video and a post from Kaid.. just in case anyone was confused.. sorry if I wasn't clear. Smile Also have to say I'm not angry or anything just think its overdue

Posted by Kaid 1/15/2014

I'm currently working on a tutorial for using the Flash template for character creation, however it might be a week or two until we finalize it.

By Bruce (RL) - 6 Years Ago
Hi all,

I've updated all the related character pipeline tutorials to the original post. Please check out the post! We hope these tutorials will help!!Smile

By JeanGibsonMedley_894559 - 2 Years Ago
Following the G2 template in Animator cc 
I am also doing the Buddy template.

Same problems with both, can't add my custom eyes
the nose in the buddy template winds up behind the head.
added ears to buddy template, that worked, the G2 male ears don't show up.

I've done model creation in everything from blender, Maya, to Poser for over 17 yrs. whatever
reason this flash template transfer to CT3 Pipeline is smokin me.
The hierarchy doesn't seem to make sense in the simplest way to me. I tried to do the simple nose to front of the 
head on the Buddy templates, nothing working....
Are there any tutorials for the remedial lol 

By lamar002 - 6 Years Ago
im having trouble opening the dummy template in drawplus.... it is a swf file and drawplus x5 can not open swf files. on line it said the dummy template was .dap file i think anyway how do i open it and what is white paper? im using pipe line bth
By narf2n - 7 Years Ago

Peter already stated draw plus support is expected in mid January

A different question is if X5 gonna be enough or will it require an upgrade to X6?

(A question still waiting for answer on a separate thread mind you...)
Ive been learning CTA2 since day one or should I say flash ...lol....and am still a fair way from finishing one character...granted I just put a couple of hours in most days of the week and I make a lot of mistakes..... but I believe in it and will stick it out till the end....I know I'll get quicker and better ...its good to know I'm not on my own at having still not completed a character.Smile
By actxc - 5 Years Ago
Thank you for the quick response.
I used the never-give-up-strategy and learned to use the template with copy and paste.
(copy&paste needs to be done with the mouse, CTRL-C, CTRL-V doenn't work.)

My mistake was to mix up left and right.
Left_arm_0 is the left arm of the character. And it stays the left arm of the character in all views. Also when looking from the other side!

Now I want to move the pivot points, because the character is not a human.
at the end of the day the pipeline cta2 is the more expensive cta2 item and has no video tutorial some several weeks after its release...it was promised but didn't materialise
By talkingheads - 7 Years Ago
Peter and Bruce,
Thanks for the information. I am excited to use CTA2.
I am wondering what the process is if I don't want to create a totally new character. In some cases, I only need to create certain assets, like different noses, hair, legs, torso, etc. that i can have to create more character options.
What is the process for that?

I am awaiting the training videos. The white paper is probably great for people with Flash experience, but there are a few gaps in it for Flash novices.
By InfoCentral - 6 Years Ago
What is the status of the video on creating a character in draw plus?
By IHatePie - 6 Years Ago
Jsted62 (1/29/2014)

I have to admit, this would be tremendously helpful. In CTA1, when we could export to SWF, we could export a character modify individual elements (say the upper torso - add a logo to a shirt or something), save just that element out and re-import into CTA1. While it could be a bit tedious if you wanted to make lots of changes, it worked.

Personally, I'd like to see an export in CTA2 (Pipeline?), where it'd export to either a SWF (or preferably FLA for those with Flash) that exported a template identical to the templates used for importing new characters. We could then modify to our hearts content, and just re-import the template as a new character.
By jlittle - 6 Years Ago
I've used the DP template with success.

Are you naming each group with the correct capitalization? Case is important in the names.

What are the issues?

Jeff
By IHatePie - 6 Years Ago
I'm curious if RL has any plans on loosening up of the symmetrical requirements for importing new characters. As it stands, everything has to be so straight, so evenly matched, and so symmetrical. If I'm creating a character, I may want a stooped over character, or a hunchback character, or even something like a pirate with a peg leg (and no foot) that the current methodology frowns upon.
By Strumpf - 6 Years Ago
Terribly disappointed with CTA2. I cannot seem to create a transparent head although the jpg AND png images used are all transparent.
Also it is not possible to import CTA1 characters and move them normally.
for people who need continuity in their work this is a disaster.
By JeanGibsonMedley_894559 - 2 Years Ago
Thank you. I have gone through the entire series, no kidding, every video for Animator CC they've posted.
Where I'm having trouble is the eyes and mouth.
I've gone through venders tutorials but have yet to see a video completely switching eyes and mouth. 
I spend probably 14hrs a day since purchase, the first week of July. Still not mastering the hierarchy of the dummy template. I make just do full Sprite import but it doesn't look as natural in action as the template.
By Peter (RL) - 7 Years Ago
wizaerd (12/23/2013)
So the assumption is that anyone who wants to create a character will want to create a multi-dimensional character. That's too bad really, because I could care less for multidimensional characters, but I still want to create my own characters, and to do so, I must use the same old tired process that was already available in CTA1, sprite replacements, piece by piece. So all of those requests asking for better character creation fell on deaf ears.

Hi wizaerd,

It is very sad to see your all your negative comments about CTA2. It seems you have made your mind up to hate it already but I would urge you to spend a little time with the new features before giving up completely.

If your desire is to make G1 characters like those in CTA1, then I'm sure you will find the process in CTA2 much easier overall. CTA2 has added many new features to help with character creation such as the new and improved Sprite Editor, Runtime Composer and for Pipeline users the "Validate Multi-Angle Setup" feature. It may not look like it at first glance but once you get under the hood I think you will find there is much to like for character creators.

By AnimatFolks - 6 Years Ago
3. Video Tutorial - Using our Flash Template for Multi-dimensional Character Creation (Release Date: Jan, 2014)

Hi Bruce.
For when the promised tutorial?
Thanks
By alemar - 7 Years Ago
Well
I never think this kind of program will be easy to work.
I work with 2D animations programs for years and prepare views to simulate 3D characters always was very time consume to work.
What RL did was to construct a nice pipeline for us to develop our own work.
In others programs is not so clear how to prepare multidimensional characters or simply they don't have this capacity.
And no one have a rway to import 3D motion capture files... This kind of feature put CTA2 between top 2D programs now!
I think RL did a great job and CTA2 will grow a lot and they will improve this workflow a lot.
I'm studing the pipeline and trying understand how to acelerate my work because this is very important for me now.
By KnowloreStudios - 6 Years Ago
I too am waiting on the video tutorial of the process of taking a character created in the template into CTA2. Please tell me there is an automated process and that I do not have to break it apart and import all the sprites, for all the body parts, at all the angles...
By actxc - 5 Years Ago
Hi,
may be I am a little late to learn GTA2 Pipe - but I think it might be still worth doing so. (Ibought it early bunt
I am looking for the original thread you are referring to.
May be there is some better introduction some where else?

I tried to just output the DrawPlus template with X6.
It imports without errors, but the forearms and the lower torso is missing.

How can I use the template correctly, if the template it self has this problem?

May be a typo? Is there a list with the absolute correct writing and spelling of the names?
By cirwintech - 6 Years Ago
Any Idea when the training videos will be out, I have started creating a couple of Characters but the going is slow I am using the DrawPlus6 template but the going is slow, partly because I am not a cartoonist by trade and partly because creating a Character is Like writing COBOL 20 pages of code for 1 line of output. I love CTA2 Pipeline provides allot of options and it produces a very professional finished product. I hope to be able to list some of my Characters in the future but I am working on an animation project that needs to be finished by Aug so time is of the essence. Thanks in advance
By IHatePie - 7 Years Ago
Peter (RL) (12/23/2013)
wizaerd (12/23/2013)

Hi wizaerd,

It is very sad to see your all your negative comments about CTA2. It seems you have made your mind up to hate it already but I would urge you to spend a little time with the new features before giving up completely.

If your desire is to make G1 characters like those in CTA1, then I'm sure you will find the process in CTA2 much easier overall. CTA2 has added many new features to help with character creation such as the new and improved Sprite Editor, Runtime Composer and for Pipeline users the "Validate Multi-Angle Setup" feature. It may not look like it at first glance but once you get under the hood I think you will find there is much to like for character creators.

I admit, I have been a bit negative about it, but only because this is not the CTA I was hoping for. So many of the features that people requested didn't make it in, and it really didn't make many things easier, it complicated them even more. Not to mention the removal of many features as well. I will stop being so vocal about it, and wait and see what happens.