Preset for Automatic Full-Talking Character Import

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic150194.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Bruce (RL) - 11 Years Ago
As you may know, 3DXchange provides automatic character import with a single click for popular character types such as DAZ Genesis. To reduce repetitive face or body bone mapping, 3DXchange5.4 supports preset profiles to automate the process. Simply drag in your character and 3DXchange5.4 will automatically convert it into a talking walking iClone Actor while enjoying lip-syncs, face puppet and face key editing. You can also save your custom profiles to simplify the mapping procedure.

So far we support the following two character standards.

DAZ Genesis Character Import

With the DAZ Genesis Extension, not only can you easily convert, and fully animate all DAZ Genesis characters in iClone, but you may even define your unique expression styles through the DUF file, or create body morph effects in iClone. You can get this Extension as a free bonus after purchasing the Facial Pipeline Character Pack.

iClone GameBone Characters

The simple bone structure uses 51 body bone segments and 25 facial bones, which optimize your game performance and character rigging efforts while retaining the articulation of body movements and vivid facial animations. Characters designed using iClone's GameBones can enjoy the function of automatic import.

If there is any profile settings for your preferred content types other than these two, please share them with us under this thread.

By ArchAngjel - 11 Years Ago
I must be missing something here I ordered the Facial Pipeline Character Pack and I assume it also installed the Daz Genesis extention since i have no other downloads showing for the order but I cannot find the iCloneFaceKey.DUF file it mentioned where is it installed to?

nevermind I think I've got it..didnt notice the second download link... It's Monday Tongue
By Peter (RL) - 11 Years Ago
jonblade1 (3/11/2013)
I must be missing something here I ordered the Facial Pipeline Character Pack and I assume it also installed the Daz Genesis extention since i have no other downloads showing for the order but I cannot find the iCloneFaceKey.DUF file it mentioned where is it installed to?

If you have purchased the Facial Pipeline Character Pack you should have also received a zip file called "Designer's Source Pack". This contains the iCloneFacekey.DUF file. Smile

By RobertoColombo - 11 Years Ago
Hi Peter,

I am not 100% clear about what the Daz Extension and the Facial Animation Content Pack offer.
I would appreciate some more explanation, e.g., what can or can't be done with/without them, taking 2 references: 3DX5Pro and 3DX5Pipeline.

Thanks
Cheers

Roberto
By rcsinger29 - 11 Years Ago
If you already own 3dx5 pro, do you still have to purchase the facial animation pipeline in order to get the iclone DUF? In order to import Daz facial morphs? The prop dummy maya rig?
By Artman009 - 11 Years Ago
Yeah, I have the same question.

What if I am only interested in using a DAZ Genesis character in iClone, not the Hunter, Chimp or Croc character? I have to purchase the Facial Pipeline Character Pack for $129.95 just get the iCloneFacekey.DUF file?

According to the (DAZ) Importing Facial Morph Target Data from Daz3D video on YouTube (http://youtu.be/K4ADB9li7iA), the link was suppose to be provided in the video description but it's not there.

Houston, I have a feeling we will be forced into spending another 130 bucks before our DAZ charactrers can talk. Everything I have found indicates that without that .duf file, the mouth doesnt move, only the teeth!
By wendyluvscatz - 11 Years Ago
if you wish to export all possible facial morphs and expressions for any character, you need all of them to appear along the timeline at some point.
The Genesis .duf does this for Genesis.
To do it for other figures (and Genesis if you wish to create your own bespoke morph combos) I would suggest manually moving each morph slider and recording each result with a puppeteer dot, then use puppeteer to cycle through all the morphs and expressions.
You can in expression editor add your own choices to the viseme sliders too, say a bit of hiss or snarl for millenium cat or dog to the "sh" viseme etc to create unique expressions as not all faces make exactly the same speech movements.
The Genesis detection will add what ever expressions and morphs you have present at the time of each viseme etc so hair and clothes morph movements etc are added too, an interesting side effect.
You need to go and manually reset each one if you do not want this.
our question is how to get the genesis.duf file?

it is appearing as though we will have to purchase the pack in order to get it. a 99.00 value free with the facial animation pipeline.

RobertoColombo (3/11/2013)
Hi Peter,

I am not 100% clear about what the Daz Extension and the Facial Animation Content Pack offer.
I would appreciate some more explanation, e.g., what can or can't be done with/without them, taking 2 references: 3DX5Pro and 3DX5Pipeline.

Thanks
Cheers

Roberto

Hi Roberto,

You can see everything that is included in the Facial Pipeline Character Pack by clicking the link below. The Genesis Extension files are free to those who purchase the Character Pack.

http://www.reallusion.com/ContentStore/promo/2013_Facial-Pipeline-Character-Pack/default.html

Without the Facial Pipeline Character Pack, you can still add facial animation to your characters using the Expression Editor but the Genesis Extensions automate the process for you.

By planetstardragon - 11 Years Ago
ok, hold up, everyone is talking about duf files as if everyone knew what a duf file was and what to do with one!@#

I'm a daz noob have mercy, espeake inglish please!!

rcsinger29 (3/11/2013)
If you already own 3dx5 pro, do you still have to purchase the facial animation pipeline in order to get the iclone DUF? In order to import Daz facial morphs? The prop dummy maya rig?

You need the Facial Pipeline Character Pack and Genesis Extensions to get the DUF file. The pack also includes the GameBone rig that you can use to build your own full bodied characters.

The Expression Editor for adding facial animation to your own characters is included in the 3DXchange 5.4 upgrade so you can manually setup facial animation for your non-standard characters.

planetstardragon (3/11/2013)
ok, hold up, everyone is talking about duf files as if everyone knew what a duf file was and what to do with one!@#

I'm a daz noob have mercy, espeake inglish please!!

Apologies for the Daz tech speak. Wink

In previous versions of Daz Studio they used the .DAZ file extension. In Daz Studio 4.5 they introduced the .DUF extension for saves. The "Genesis Extensions" which are included as a free bonus with the "Facial Pipeline Character Pack" includes a special DUF file that when dragged onto a Genesis character allows 3DXchange 5.4 to automatically recognise and setup facial animation.

Jaw, viseme, and muscle are not working for expression editor.

when attempting to adjust, the teeth fall out of the bottom of the face.

The sliders are not available for selection.

@peter Sweet!! Thank you!

By Rampa - 11 Years Ago
I only want the DUF file. Is there a way to get it by itself? I have no interest in the game development stuff.
rampa (3/11/2013)
I only want the DUF file. Is there a way to get it by itself? I have no interest in the game development stuff.

it would appear... for 99 bucks..

I am growing disappointed

To be honest, The game rig appears from what I have seen to be a very powerful tool. If I understand it correctly, it would appear as though you can "rig" an obj with it.

I WILL purchase the facial pack due to the extra features, but I am VERY VERY disapointed if not downright angry that I still cannot make my Daz characters talk. all they do it look around.

to be clear, I cannot afford to purchase it at the moment and I changed my work off-day to tomorrow JUST SO I COULD USE THIS NEW TOOL!

Custom DAZ Facial Behavior through DUF key map
To export a DAZ character to iClone, you first need to load up this iCloneFaceKey.DUF file into DAZ before exporting to FBX. The DUF file contains a template set of keyframes, each corresponding to a unique face morph state of your DAZ character which will later be used by the Expression Editor in 3DXchange to determine your character’s expression profile.
By modifying facial morph keys, you can create your unique DAZ facial behavior, either for lip-sync, or emotional expressions. You can keep your own DUF file for future re-use.

Document - DAZ Genesis to iClone Face Key Sequence.XLS is included.

It appears as though we must go into the pocketbook once more in order to use facial puppet for expressions and lip syncing!!

-there is message content here-
By animagic - 11 Years Ago
Unless the .DUF file was very expensive to develop I'm surprised it's not just included, at least for current Pipeline users. That would have been a nice gesture. The Facial Animation Pipeline pack seems a steep price even when discounted.

Hmm, am I complaining? Blink

everything the duf file can do , you can do in 3Dx5 and save the profile, - which even with the duff file, I'm going to make custom profiles anyway for special characters...This patch is more than just a patch, it's like a whole upgrade. it's more than just facial morphs. The spring feature is a hot item all it's own. Sorry guys, not meaning to sound like im swinging a different direction....I'm for balance and the RL guys worked hard on this and did more than they originally offered.
yes yes.. I purchased 3dx5 pro and the daz devolopers pack specifically for this purpose. we have been promised we would have talking DAZ characters for a year now, "included free for existing 3dx5 pro and pipeline users" and now it seems as though all they can do for free is look around. That or custom load your own morphs that will not automatically adjust to the iclone face key.
everything the duf file can do , you can do in 3Dx5 and save the profile, - which even with the duff file, I'm going to make custom profiles anyway for special characters...This patch is more than just a patch, it's like a whole upgrade. it's more than just facial morphs. The spring feature is a hot item all it's own.

How?

I cannot get the mouth to move.

it's all there , you have to export the right settings in daz, - you can actually export a lot more morphs than just the mouth. The only real difference is you have to adjust the faders.

Update - make sure you have your morphs export box checked - and make sure your rules are right ... make sure this statement is added .CTRLVS as export

once you get the character in 3DX5 , you have to open the expressions list and program the viseme page - it is not programmed ...that's why your facial expressions aren't happening yet. As I understand it, all the duf file does is auto-program this page, but it's not something you can't do without it.
please accept my dearest apologies Team RL!!!

a simple checkbox seems to be the key between an ecstatic customer and one full of rage!

rcsinger29 (3/11/2013)
To be honest, The game rig appears from what I have seen to be a very powerful tool. If I understand it correctly, it would appear as though you can "rig" an obj with it.

I WILL purchase the facial pack due to the extra features, but I am VERY VERY disapointed if not downright angry that I still cannot make my Daz characters talk. all they do it look around.

to be clear, I cannot afford to purchase it at the moment and I changed my work off-day to tomorrow JUST SO I COULD USE THIS NEW TOOL!

The Genesis Extension files supplied free with the Character Pack allow you to automatically add Genesis characters to 3DXchange5 and have the facial mapping done for you.

However you can add facial expressions manually yourself in Daz Studio 4.5, and then after exporting as FBX, map the expressions in the 3DXchange 5.4 Expression Editor. Smile

By Rampa - 11 Years Ago
There is also the save icon in the expression editor. It would be a good idea to save these settings for all your other DAZ avatars.

I assume 100 percent is best for the sliders, as we can probably tune it within iClone now.
after having experimented with several original daz creations, I can safely say, you will want to tweak all the settings anyway - a character like a child vs a character like a Giant troll are going to have different movements - so one profile doesn't fit all - it's good to have a standard profile for a start - but programing the movements will be a skill / art all it's own, especially considering how far you can take it beyond the standard viseme settings and including eyebrow and cheek movements per expression. w00t
as I said in my post
do a puppeteer ani,
save the .duf pose, tweek it for bespoke characters using extra morphs if desired.
a troll might have eyes pop for ah! for example.
if it Genesis, 3dx5.4 will still do an expressions preset based on what you used with each viseme.
When adjusting the expressions, the only controls I have are for both eyes at once
when you export your character, you should be seeing it make faces as it saves, if you don't see it animating those expressions, then either your export settings are not right or you need to get those viseme morphs from daz.
ok, tell me, step by step, what "should" get all the available morphs into my export from Daz?
i'm going to have to let a more experienced daz person step in for this one - I'm still new at daz and I'm not sure If I bought something or if it's a stock thing that I'm using, I know I purchased the head morph kit, so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it.
By animatom - 11 Years Ago
Few hints about exporting characters from DAZ, because there are many different models, generation of models, exclusive DAZ glitches, morphs rules and all kind of nasty DAZ habits - to many to make some general step by step tutorial for exports to 3DXchange.
1.Try to use DAZ Studio 4.5 32 bit edition; it have it's own (very good one BTW) lip sync tool. You don't need these animation out, but it will activate all necessary morphs of the face. Just tell model to say few words (some audio examples are parts of DAZ). DAZ Studio 4.5 64 bit doesn't have this tool.
2. Some morphs, depending on the model, needs to be keyframed on the timeline to get out. Just put one keyframe at the begining and one at the end (with few facial sliders moved between, of course). On export choose to export morphs AND animation.
3. You can always use Collada export, where you can choose different option (bake, export or ignore) for every morph model have. Then use Autodesk's free converter to convert Collada to FBX.
4. For models other and older than Genesis, try to find older DAZ - I still use DAZ Studio 2 for most elegant FBX export; there you can activate all morphs you want to be exported and in export screen simply choose "export just active morphs")

DAZ Studio is extremely useful tool, but it could be very tricky and we really can't expect of Reallusion to solve DAZ problems. During the beta testing I tried to export many, many different models and - with or without some of the tricks above - they all worked.
Most beautiful thing for me is that we can now lipsync even models without any viseme morphs, like excellent Nursoda characters for example (as DrPitterbill in my Hamlet test video), few smile - not smile - open mouth - close mouth morphs, and job easily done in 3DXchange.
All in all, I think this update is one of the best thing happened in the world of real time animation.
Ever. Smile

By Rampa - 11 Years Ago
Making sure you have DAZ Studio Pro 4.5 is probably your bet for getting those highly desired visemes. My download came with Mimic of some sort that seems to have installed them.

also make sure you have the check box for "morphs" selected in the DAZ FBX export. It will export 16 morphs of different visemes. There are so few because of the similarity between different ones. One viseme can work for multiple sounds.

Fifteen of these 16 visemes can be mapped in 3DX.

By Visconti - 11 Years Ago
Artman009

Thanks for your help to point it out.
This video was originally produced in 3DX5.4 Beta period, so the info is not well described.
We have made the change, and the updated DAZ tutorial made in 3DX5.4 final release will be published soon.
Sorry for any misleading info

Thanks
Visconti
=============
Forum Moderator
Reallusion, Inc.

Considering the long awaited facial animation export for daz characters I went ahead and paid the 129 for the character kit just to get the iCloneFacekey.DUF file. I figured since it was the only reason I bought Iclone exchange 5 (already had 4) another hundred and thirty bucks for the ability to have a one click solution instead of editing every imported model was fair enough I guess.

However unless I am doing something wrong (probably I am). I still have nothing attached to the visemes automatically. The eyes and head rotation are auto mapped, but I still have to use the sliders to input the vismes and also after watching the tutorial video on how to do it I also notice that it says that the vismes are in order and named after the viseme in exchange 5. Something like head.CNTRLVSMER with the last 2 letters being the sound it matches "er".

First off they are not in order there are viseme CNTRLVSM sliders that dont match any visemes and some excluded which is the real problem. I didn't mind the extras for tweaking purposes, I'll even do the sliders manually not real happy about it but okay.I have no problem tweaking for individual characters... but for a 130 bucks could I at least get a iCloneFacekey.DUF file with the whole viseme library?

As far as I can see without mixing each individually for visemes R, Ch&J, N&NG, and EE they are not even in my list and a few more that don't match the visemes in Xchange I've best guessed which they mean. Now as I said I could be doing something wrong but if I'm not the 130 bucks I spent for the iCloneFacekey.DUF file (which I understand retails for 99 bucks just by itself) was money wasted. I hope this isn't the case and I have either misunderstood the tutorials, incorrectly installed it, or a combination of both.

Please let me know where I've gone wrong here.
By Cricky - 11 Years Ago
jonblade1 (3/12/2013)
Considering the long awaited facial animation export for daz characters I went ahead and paid the 129 for the character kit just to get the iCloneFacekey.DUF file. I figured since it was the only reason I bought Iclone exchange 5 (already had 4) another hundred and thirty bucks for the ability to have a one click solution instead of editing every imported model was fair enough I guess.

However unless I am doing something wrong (probably I am). I still have nothing attached to the visemes automatically. The eyes and head rotation are auto mapped, but I still have to use the sliders to input the vismes and also after watching the tutorial video on how to do it I also notice that it says that the vismes are in order and named after the viseme in exchange 5. Something like head.CNTRLVSMER with the last 2 letters being the sound it matches "er".

First off they are not in order there are viseme CNTRLVSM sliders that dont match any visemes and some excluded which is the real problem. I didn't mind the extras for tweaking purposes, I'll even do the sliders manually not real happy about it but okay.I have no problem tweaking for individual characters... but for a 130 bucks could I at least get a iCloneFacekey.DUF file with the whole viseme library?

As far as I can see without mixing each individually for visemes R, Ch&J, N&NG, and EE they are not even in my list and a few more that don't match the visemes in Xchange I've best guessed which they mean. Now as I said I could be doing something wrong but if I'm not the 130 bucks I spent for the iCloneFacekey.DUF file (which I understand retails for 99 bucks just by itself) was money wasted. I hope this isn't the case and I have either misunderstood the tutorials, incorrectly installed it, or a combination of both.

Please let me know where I've gone wrong here.

Did you actually apply the DUF file to the Genesis inside DAZ?

You should find that the Facial Bones and Viseme assignments work just fine if you have.

Part2...YouTube

Yep even created shortcut to the iCloneFacekey.DUF file within Daz. I suppose when I have time to really focus on it I can create a new .duf file but again if I was going to do that I could've saved 130 bucks.
I'm hoping that I missed something and it is at least added into the character automatically where I can edit it. So to clarify my steps:
1) Unzipped Designer_Source_Pack.zip
2) Copied iCloneFaceKey.duf into DAZ3d content directory where I could find it inside Daz3d
3) Created a female Genesis character using unisex genesis model (Also tried Aiko 5 character same results)(Also using Daz3d Pro 64bit version 4.5)
4) With Genesis selected applied .duf file which asked me to lenthen my animation frames to which I clicked ok button.
5) With Genesis selected I then picked export as fbx.
6) In the export box I have the following checked:

Export options with figures,animation, and morphs checked
Output options with fbx 2012 binary selected and embed textures, allow degraded skinning, and allow degraded scaling checked and have also checked and unchecked merge clothing into figure skeleton.
Export rule with only bake in list all else removed.

7) Start Xchange 5.4 open fbx file, and after abit the program asks me if I wish to import as daz3d non standard (talking character). I select yes.
8) from there I check expression editor to see if visemes are auto installed they don't seem to be (but they are in small box right hand side of screen)....so lost somewhere around here.
9) I can and have exported figure into daz and only if I set all visemes will face animate and character lipsync if I simply export then nothing..

I figure there has to be something important I'm missing in there. I watched your video and I'm at least glad to see that it does work and that problem is on my end after all.
By Cricky - 11 Years Ago
It was worth a shot to check. It looks like you did everything correctly, so that leads to a few possibilities.

1. Did you SELECT All, before exporting? If you did, then the possibility is that the export itself didn't work as planned, or...

2. Either DAZ itself needs an update, or has an FBX export error. I have seen it happen where one time it works and the next time not, or vice-verse.

3. Could be you just need to re-install 3DXchange5, as the install itself is corrupt.

I just now did a few tests, to make sure the steps I show in the clip still apply after the release and update, and it all still works for me.

Good Luck.
I think the rush to get the Facial Animation Pipeline Pack out at the same time as the upgrade has led to some major confusion, with some people assuming they had to buy it without it being necessary, which is unfortunate.

I also hope the RL takes the time to get someone with clear diction who is not in a rush to get a tutorial out about al this. Written documentation would even be better. Right now it's as clear as mud...

Oki finally got it thx for your help. I had been selecting the genesis model which up to now has exported everything hair, clothes, shoes, and even attached props into iclone but as far as I can tell it's the only thing I changed so that could be it.

I was thinking of reaching into the screen screaming "Talk damn you!" while strangling my characters. So I thank you as do my characters for avoiding such an embarrassing outburst BigGrin

P.S. As for me I did understand the .duf wasn't absolutely needed but as a time saver I felt/feel it is needed for full appreciation of the 5.4 update expecially since it does auto map the visemes after all.
By Artman009 - 11 Years Ago
I think Reallusion really dropped the ball with this.

Ever since the release of 3DXchange 5, iClone users have been eagerly awaiting for the ability to control facial animation with the DAZ Genesis model, and after all of that waiting, it finally gets released… but lacking any automated process. THAT is a feature that will cost you extra by having to purchase an additional (and unnecessary) 'Facial Pipeline Character Pack'. Talk about disappointment.

I cannot help but feel a little letdown by Reallusion.
I share your disappointment Artman,

The DUF file should be provided at NO COST to those of us who have already paid for the DAZ Genesis pack a year ago. I upgraded to 3dx pro for this purpose and this purpose alone. I bought the Daz Intorductory Content Pack, I purchased hundreds and hundreds of content for DAZ, for this purpose. And now, after all of this, I have only a handful of expressions that I must spend a significant amount of time adjusting. This was marketed all along as if we were going to get this for free, but now it does appear that the automation of Daz import with facial will cost another chunk of change.

I say again, I am very interested in the pack and will almost certainly buy it because of the dummy prop rig and the gamebone character. but the DUF for full daz animation should be provided at no cost.

By shygirl - 11 Years Ago
This is my first attempt at using facial animation.

Shy Tongue
2 questions I am begging someone to answer.

1.) What exactly does game bone allow yo uto do? can you rig an non skinned object with it?

2.) are all the necessary morphs for iclone facial puppet included in DAZ or were some specific morphs purchased/created for the iclonefacekey.duf?

upnote, here is an example of the difference between the spring and extended bones using the same rig. This feature is awesome.

O.K.

If you still do not have the iclonefacekey.DUF and you are still having problems with your DAZ facial animation. I've got your answer.

1.) Install the 32 bit version of DAZ Studio 4.5. Install all of the programs provided with the ZIP archive.

http://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-4-pro/

2.) Load your character. The libraries are the same even though the directories are not.

3.) Select your characters head (not sure if necessary).

4.)Select "Window" - "Panes" - "Lip Sync" from the top menu.

Lip sync is not available in the 64 bit version unless you purchase mimic.

5.) select "Load" from the "Lip Sync" window.

6.) Select a file, I myself chose "JackJill_Female.

7.) Click Analyse

8.) Once this finishes, open the timeline to ensure your character lip syncs the words.

9.) Click "File" - "Export"

10.) FBX format, name your file, make sure that Animation and Morphs are selected in the FBX Export options.

11.) click "Edit Morph Export Rules"

12.) Delete everything except the "Final - Anything - Bake" line.

13.) Export the file.

You will see the avatar make all sorts of winking and talking motions as the file exports.

14.) When in 3dx5.4, open the FBX, make sure import animation is checked.

15.) when the dialogue box opens, click Yes to let it do half the work for you.

16.) the head and eyes will already be mapped, the jaw must be adjusted with the sliders.

17.) continue with the morph mapping for your exporessions.

*** You will not have a Jaw Left/Right option ***

***you will not have an inner and outer brow - only L brow and R Brow***

Make sure you save your expression profile, you will need one for each character base you have (Aiko, Victoria, Michael, Freak, Stephanie, Etc)

Once this has been done, you can export the character OR you can select "Convert to non Standard character and map your extra bones.

In the upper right corner, you will see a head with some bones, this is theface/extended bone mapping tool. Any unused bones can be assigned as extended. Some DAZ clothing, Hair, and props have bones that can be mapped to extended. There are also bones in the breasts.

select all the unused bones and click the mustache button under the bone tags menu to assign them as extended.

Once these bones have been mapped to extended, click convert.

Now, select "Edit Spring" in the side panel to assign spring properties to select bones. Select your extended bones in the left panel, then avtivate spring and mess with the settings until you are happy with the result. There are preview motions at the bottom you can view. Be careful, if you are wanting to watch the animation again, clock the stop button in the 3dx timeline, not the apply button.

Once you are satisfied with all your spring settings, click apply. You should be ready to export to iclone at this point.

***note, spring can be turned on and off inside iclone. This is particularly useful with items like capes and rigged hair. In any frame, you can turn spring off and articulate the bones manually, once the manual animation sequence is over, you can turn spring back on and the extended bones will act as a pinned cloth, hair, or other spring item***

I hope this helps

In the RAR, you will find a Batman and Superman avatar as well as a project. These are the same rig (maya with added bones in cape). In the roject batmans spring is off while supermans is on. It is the same project from above, minus the iClorama HDRI, this is available in the marketplace.

If you load the characters in 3dxchange, you will see a rig similar to the game bone rig. these are facial bones you must assign to the face, eyes to each respective eye, and lips and jaw to the jaw. I will upload another character momentarily that is the same rig, but without any of these bones mapped so you can do it yourself. All of these models were free at 3dxtras or one of the other sites.

The superman body only characer is a maya rig with only the body mapped. You will have to map the eyes, face, mouth, and extras yourself.

there are 4 buttons on the bottom you will need in the face/extended mapping panel.

Right eye (select only the right eye before you click this button)

Left Eye (Select only the left eye before you click this one)

Jaw (select all lip and jaw bones, then click this button)

The remaining bones in the face area should be mapped to face. This will allow you to set expressions.

The "unused" bones that are left should be mapped as extended, then you can add spring and/or manually animate these bones inside iclone.

stay tuned for "Hair Morphs"

By Rampa - 11 Years Ago
I know where you can get some additional morphs for the inner and outer eye, and a whole lot more.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/58198/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/DieTryings-182-V4-Morphs-for-Genesis

You need to sign up for a free account to download, but it's well worth it. Lots of free clothing as well.

Don't be put off by the "Victoria" name, as many of these morphs are just as suitable for your male avatars.
rampa (3/12/2013)
I know where you can get some additional morphs for the inner and outer eye, and a whole lot more.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/58198/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/DieTryings-182-V4-Morphs-for-Genesis

You need to sign up for a free account to download, but it's well worth it. Lots of free clothing as well.

Don't be put off by the "Victoria" name, as many of these morphs are just as suitable for your male avatars.

If they are free, can you upload them here?

Video coming!!

If you wish to import your DAZ hair with morphs, and you do not have the dummy bones, it is easy to do.

first, you must have a bone structure that iclone recognizes in order to morph in real time inside iclone.

Load a genesis base, and add and texture the hair, if you only wish to use the hair and not the avatar, ignore the texture on the genesis base; you will decimate the mesh out later. If you want the hair to morph on that specific character, then load it up as you wish.

for the Hair only option, open up the timeline and scrub across to a new location and morph your hair as you wish, continue this process until you have all the hair morphs you want.

Once this is done, select the genesis character in the scene tab, select surfaces and slide the opacity slider to 0. with genesis selected in the scene tab (do not selecy your hair), open decimator, ensure "remove invisible surfaces" is checked.

click prepare to decimate.

This will remove the genesis character and leave only your hair, but the genesis rig is still there.

Export fbx, include animation, be sure to edit the morph rules.

Import into 3dx5.4, it will automatically recognize the daz rig. open up the expressions tab and the morphs you loaded in your timeline should be available in the cutom tab of the expressions window.

Select your mouse motion (upward, rightward, etc) and move the sliders next to your morphs until you achieve the desired appearance. do this until you have all the combinations that you want (be sure to click set after each one), then export your hair "character".

You can now puppet these morphs with the facial puppet if you select the 3dx custom template at the bottom of the puppet panel.

link the hair to an avatar and puppet away.

By Rampa - 11 Years Ago
Here is a zip of morphs for Genesis, 182 in fact. I didn't see anything in the readme about not distributing, so go ahead and download.
will these morphs load automatically when you export with lip sync or do you have to manyally load these into the timeline?
rcsinger, thanks you for all your research. I'll have to study it.

I have a comment about Mimic 3.0, which I have. It does not work with Genesis characters. I wouldn't want people to spend $99 on it.  It is called from the LipSynch function in DAZ, so it also would not be available in 64 bit.

Mimic is a very nice program and it's a pity it hasn't been updated in years. DAZ has a tendency to abandon capable software that they acquire.

BTW, I received an email that the DAZ Introductory Pack has been updated. The included characters are now fully facial-animatable. It would save you some time if you want to experiment and you don't have to run out and buy the new pack.

I tried to save the Expression profile in 3DXchange of one of the Introductory characters and apply it to another DAZ Genesis character (to use instead of the DUF file), but no luck.Crying

Of course, I'll admit that I don't know what I'm doing...Unsure

animagic (3/12/2013)

I have a comment about Mimic 3.0, which I have. It does not work with Genesis characters. I wouldn't want people to spend $99 on it.  It is called from the LipSynch function in DAZ, so it also would not be available in 64 bit.

Mimic is a very nice program and it's a pity it hasn't been updated in years. DAZ has a tendency to abandon capable software that they acquire.

BTW, I received an email that the DAZ Introductory Pack has been updated. The included characters are now fully facial-animatable. It would save you some time if you want to experiment and you don't have to run out and buy the new pack.

I tried to save the Expression profile in 3DXchange of one of the Introductory characters and apply it to another DAZ Genesis character (to use instead of the DUF file), but no luck.Crying

I tried to download the updated pack but I was not clear on specifically WHAT link to use.

By Rampa - 11 Years Ago
rcsinger29 (3/12/2013)
will these morphs load automatically when you export with lip sync or do you have to manyally load these into the timeline?

If you put them in the timeline, and follow the standard procedure, they show up. Alternatively, you can set "morph export rules" in the FBX dialogue. Basically you click on add rule, give it the name of the morph or family of morphs you want, and set it for export. I think the keyframe method is a little easier because you don't have to type a bunch of rules.

I have not found morphs for the jaw movements yet (the face itself, the teeth and gums seem to be mapped in 3DX already as a bone map).
@rampa

I added some keyframes with the outer and inner brow motions, then tried to load the lip sync track. When I did this, the character didn't lip sync to the track. The track loaded, the eyes moved, but the mouth and other expressions didn't occur.

here is the rough video of morphing DAZ Hair linked to Gwynns head.

I didn't uncheck the head tilt and rotate so it looks a little goofy. I fixed this in another vid and it looks much better.

By Rampa - 11 Years Ago
@rcsinger29

Perhaps putting them in different parts of the track? I saw no reason to keyframe these. I actually have an export rule for the visemes. It is named ".CTRLVS" and set to "export". It must have been put in by Mimic Live or whatever the Mimic package is, because I did not create it. I assume yours are the same from your description above. The only difference that we have is I'm running 64 bit.

EDIT: It is Mimic Live DS4 (64bit) that I have installed. It came as part of the install package.
There was no lip sync option in my 64bit version. Mimic is installed but not activated. The only was I get all the visemes is in the 32 bir. The 64 bit only exports a few of the facial animations. Perhaps it's a setting somewhere, but I read about the lip sync on the Daz forums. I tried it and it worked.
rcsinger29 (3/12/2013)
I tried to download the updated pack but I was not clear on specifically WHAT link to use.

It's the first link, for the converted DAZ characters that are installed for iClone. The characters for use in DAZ didn't change it looks like.

By Rampa - 11 Years Ago
Right you are! It is installed but not activated. Good thing I don't use it. The visemes are there and export just fine with the rule.
@rampa

I have toyed with this a bit in the 64 bit version and have found that entering "head." into the match field and setting to export will load every possible head morph included with DAZ. The problem is, only the head rotation and eyes actually transform the mesh.

I used the .ctrlvs and the same thing happened, all the viseme's loaded in the morph list, but did not have any effect on the mesh inside 3dx.

What do you do, step by step, after you load your character, prior to export.

This is a MUCH easier way to customize your morphs.

nevermind... For some reason, the model I loaded up would not morph. I loaded an Aiko "tomb Raider" avatar and it works fine.

note, I created an export rule called "head."  - export.

This exports every possible head morph there is. all the viseme's, all face morphs, all head morphs.

This imports 113 unique head morphs on my system, including all the emotion morphs I have. (expressive for genesis - emotional morphs such as fear, anger, sadness, etc.)

By Rampa - 11 Years Ago
Alright, I'll see what I can do.Smile

I'm starting at the export from DAZ stage. I have not added any animation.

Export your file as FBX, and set your export rules. NOTE: The .CTRL morphs might not all show up on the DAZ parameter dials. I went and looked through the list in there folder. This also made it easy to copy the names for the rule names if I did not want the whole morph family. The CTRL morphs are located at:
C:\Users\YourDirectory\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis\Base\Morphs

You'll find the others there too in different folders.

Next I imported my avatar into 3DX. Selected "import animation". Said yes to everything that popped up.

At this point, you should be able to click on any morph in the side panel and see it on your avatar. I have selected the "AA" viseme.

If you see the morph, go ahead and open the expression editor. Select a morph picture (AA viseme, in my case), and find it in the list on the right. Now slide its slider up to 100%.

Hit the "save" button. I like to hit the auto button so I don't have to hit save.

Thanks Rampa

Using the Export rule "head." - "export", I was able to export emotion morphs and configure them using the custom morph panel.

Angry

Fear

This is such a powerful tool, as angry as I was when this first came out, I must say that RL certainly did a fantastic job on these updates. I apologize again for my attitude, but at first it seemed disappointing.

Some really interesting effects may be possible with the puppet using certain body morphs.

an example which I plan to work on shortly, is to export some head and full body morphs to take a model from victoria 5 (adult) and morph her into a young teen.

Morph a male from muscular to pot bellied, all in real time.

By Rampa - 11 Years Ago
That looks great!

Dig through DAZ CTRL and other morphs, as there are side-side jaw morphs hiding in there. Also a wide open mouth that should be good for jaw drop.
rampa (3/13/2013)
That looks great!

Dig through DAZ CTRL and other morphs, as there are side-side jaw morphs hiding in there. Also a wide open mouth that should be good for jaw drop.

Yeah, if you use the export rule "head."

It loads 113 morphs in my panel, including the left/right jaw, pucker, pucker wide, cheeks balloon, With this particular character, I made 3 different custom puppet profiles, one with the preset expressions, one with pucker and cheek balloon, and one with mixed morphs for unique expressions.

By Rampa - 11 Years Ago
I'm likin' these rules. Here's my minimal set. Hardly gives any extra, and there were not to many rules to enter easily.

I like what you have done for general characterization of an avatar.

I will probably steal your scheme for general mapping of characters. Right now I am just playing around and seeing what all you can do. I particularly like the expressions. Cheek Balloon and pucker are pretty cool. ATM, I am trying to figure out how to export body morphs to try to animate muscular morphs and things like head proportion, morphing from one character to the next, (ala-terminator).

EDIT: What are the other families called? "head." works but does not include things like crows feet and other head morphs. Torso? feet? what are the other names?

By Rampa - 11 Years Ago
It wouldn't be stealing! Everyone is welcome to it.

I have not tried any body morphs yet. Although one of the beta testers (Warlord?) posted a video showing a werewolf transformation.
Hopefully he can chime in, where is that vid?

I just watched a tut on the old daz that said FBM's were not exportable, but there was a workaround where you loaded the morph (character) then exported as an unwelded OBJ, cleared the scene and loaded a different character, then using something called "morph loader" loaded the previously saved OBJ as a morph (he used aiko as the morph and vic 4 as the new character. This then gave him a morph slider in his export to morph the character from vic4 to aiko4. I do not have time to toy with it tonight.

By Resoundproductions - 11 Years Ago
Hi everyone, I'm having a little trouble with a Daz character I'm trying to import into iclone.

It's a Genesis character but with different hair (not made for genesis). I added the hair in Daz and exported it as part of the fbx file. I've imported it into iclone via 3DXchange with the help of the new $130 content pack.

Problem is - When I try to move the head, only the hair moves. All other body/face parts animate just fine.

Any ideas?

In DAZ, load your saved character. Click the scene tab and select your hair. Look under the Parameters tab and expand the Transformations field. Select Misc and look at the "Fit To" field. It should say "Genesis". If It says "none", Then this would be your problem.

**note: some hair meshes and other items not made for the genesis character do not fit or adjust properly and at times this cannot be corrected. There are engines inside daz that wil convert certain items from the last generation to Genesis, but its success is a coin flip.***

If the above method does not work, load your hair by itself and export as OBJ. Load the hair in 3dx, smooth, add the texture (will be in the DAZ folder for that product, easy to find if you go to the surfaces tab in DAZ and select "browse" from the drop down beside the diffuse map). Select "embed texture" after loading the diffuse map (click on diffuse if the embed button is not available), this will load the opacity map. You can also load the opacity map using the same method as the diffuse.

Once you are finished, export as a prop to iclone.

Once inside iclone, Load the hair and an avatar, align the hair to the avatar and attach the the hair to the head. Then, with the hair selected, right click ->add to library and it will save the hair as an accessory. Now you can use the hair on any avatar you wish.

If you are loading morphs with the hair, you can export it as an FBX and load the hair morphs into your custom puppet panel. **note, you must have the complete DAZ rig in order for 3dx to recognize it as a non std character. This isnt a problem if you have decimator.

I exported a new FULL character just now and added the head and hair morphs to the export.

The hair morphs carried over with the avatar even though the body morphs dont. Something interesting happened though.

Without the iclonefacekey.DUF file, normally the viseme's arent mapped at all and must be manually performed. In this case however, every mouth morph and viseme was mapped to various morphs of the hair.

My facial animation was exported using my export rule while the hair morphs were exported using the final bake rule of the timeline animations.

For this reason, I am curious. If we manually load each viseme along the timeline along with the specific facial movements (effectively, create our OWN iclonefacekey.duf) if 3dx will automatically configure the facial animations?

I am also curious if the software interperets the morphs based on their name or if it is a particular order of the timeline keys.

, hmmmm

interesting again, I just got a few specific Body moprphs to transfer into the expression editor, but I have tried several times before and they didnt.
By Rampa - 11 Years Ago
Regarding the DUF (animation) file, that behavior makes since. 3DX is expecting animation, and uses a mapping scheme to get everything in the right place. There is a document that describes it. I do not have it, but someone posted a picture that showed it a couple days ago.

So yeah, probably could be recreated.

Since we can save an expression template, it makes it pretty easy once you have assigned your morphs to apply the template to other Genesis figures. So you really only need to do the expressions for the basic morphs once.
Lets see if we can somehow get that info.

I am going to buy the facial pack so I don't know why I care so much. I do like to know how things work but I still think that if we can figure out how to do it, those who do not want to buy it can create their own template and get the automated 3dx mapping by doing a lot of work once rather than a moderate amount of work over and over with each avatar.

I have saved the presets for each character base I have and I still have to edit almost every morph when I import a character of the same base.

By qdai - 11 Years Ago
wendyluvscatz (3/11/2013)
as I said in my post
do a puppeteer ani,
save the .duf pose, tweek it for bespoke characters using extra morphs if desired.
if it Genesis, 3dx5.4 will still do an expressions preset based on what you used with each viseme.

Can you explain this process more clearly.
By qdai - 11 Years Ago
animagic (3/12/2013)

I have a comment about Mimic 3.0, which I have. It does not work with Genesis characters. I wouldn't wantpeople to spend $99 on it. It is called from the LipSynch function in DAZ, so it also would not be available in 64 bit.

Mimic works with cr2 files. Genesis characters are a different format. If you convert your Genesis to a cr2 and you have the Mimic Genesis configuration file then it should work in Mimic (stand alone version). However, I don't think that will help with iClone face animation.

However, that brings me to ...If you want to make other non-Genesis Poser (cr2) characters work in iClone with facial animation...would you just make a similar .duf in Daz 4.5 32bit and export the character as usual?

animagic (3/12/2013)

I tried to save the Expression profile in 3DXchange of one of theIntroductory charactersand apply it to another DAZ Genesis character (to use instead of the DUF file), but no luck.Crying

I'm confused about what the difference is between the Daz Introductory Pack and the Daz Genesis Extention (included with the Facial Pipeline Character Pack)? Do either of them include the 25 facial bones game bone mapped to Genesis?

qdai (3/15/2013)
wendyluvscatz (3/11/2013)
as I said in my post
do a puppeteer ani,

Can you explain this process more clearly.

the supplied .duf which is a bonus for buying that pack is simply all the morphs and expressions avalaiable for Genesis head dialed up and down along the timeline so they are baked into the FBX export fir 3dx5pro to read them.
You can select the head in the scene hierachy and dial in each morph induvidually and using puppeteer in Daz studio in edit mode place a dot for each morph dialing it back to zero before doing the next one.
If you have extra morphs like Genesis evolution expressions, you can also add those for a more expressive face.
in record mode as you move your mouse over the dots the expressions are keyframed to the timeline.
I use this method for non Genesis figures.
you can save it as a .duf pose for reuse on different variations of the same figure.
I then use the recorded information to create the visemes in expression editor manually as not all figures have all the same viseme morphs, Genesis you can simply match them by name.
Do you know how to use puppeteer?
is this what you are asking?
or is it the process in 3dxchange?
By qdai - 11 Years Ago
rampa (3/13/2013)
Alright, I'll see what I can do.Smile

I'm starting at the export from DAZ stage. I have not added any animation.

Export your file as FBX, and set your export rules. NOTE: The .CTRL morphs might not all show up on the DAZ parameter dials. I went and looked through the list in there folder. This also made it easy to copy the names for the rule names if I did not want the whole morph family. The CTRL morphs are located at:
C:\Users\YourDirectory\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis\Base\Morphs

You'll find the others there too in different folders.

Next I imported my avatar into 3DX. Selected "import animation". Said yes to everything that popped up.

At this point, you should be able to click on any morph in the side panel and see it on your avatar. I have selected the "AA" viseme.

If you see the morph, go ahead and open the expression editor. Select a morph picture (AA viseme, in my case), and find it in the list on the right. Now slide its slider up to 100%.

Hit the "save" button. I like to hit the auto button so I don't have to hit save.

I've tried to follow this but I'm lost. It was probably clear with your pictures; but they don't show up. Do you have to have Mimic Live to get the CTRL morphs? How do they correlate to the facial animation .duf file? And how do you set a "Head" export rule and exactly what does this do? Is setting the "Head" export rule all you need to do to get the CTRL morphs out of Daz in fbx format (If you did not do any animation in Daz how do you get the CTRL morpshs out)? And once out, are some or any of them automatically mapped to Visemes in 3DX expression editor?

Ok, now the images show up. Deleted to save space.
By qdai - 11 Years Ago
@ wendyluvscatz

Does it matter what keyframes specific morphs fall on? Regardless of each morph's name, if it is on its corresponding morph's keyframe in the Template .duf file...is it automatically mapped for you in 3dx expression editor. Or, must the morph name and the keyframe match exactly those of the Template .duf in order to get correct placement in automatic mapping?

I ask for this reason: If you organize the keyframes and morphs names in the fbx file correctly, is it possible to get automatic mapping for non-Genesis characters, even characters that are exported from a program other than Daz?

@ anyone

This is an aside; but, related question: If you rig a character in max (or any other program) with the game bone template (included in the Facial Character Pipeline Pack) must you use the exported fbx game bone template, or can you just create an identical hierarchy and naming convention using native max bones in order to get automatic mapping from the exported fbx? What if you are using a program that uses joints instead of bones (like Modo), will it still work?

Then, if you want a hybrid bone/morph character, can you use the same technique as the .duf template only placing the morphs (name/keyframe specific) on max's timeline instead of Dazs' to get automatic mapping? Or, will 3DX be confused as to which to use (bones or morphs) for automatic mapping? Or do facial bones take precedent (over morphs) for automatic mapping...or is there a preference you can set?

Whew!
I cannot do automatic anything for non-Genesis figures
had to manually set the expression editor visemes using the imported morphs
but you can save a profile for reuse
what this thread is asking people to share their non-Genesis saves
since Reallusion is selling the Genesis .duf in effect, (though called a free bonus) one cannot upload that one.
all we can do is offer suggestions how to do it yourself.
thread got a bit off track
I might upload some for other figures I did to box later but mine are for not so popular figures and my personal choices for viseme morphs might not be the best ones, pure guesswork in case of say millenium cat.
By qdai - 11 Years Ago
Thanks for sharing your experience.
most of my figures are decimated so one preset will not work on another
https://www.box.com/s/mwnt6y2y151g3nypcr4ythis is my V4 preset
@qdai, the way to export the animations without adding them to the timeline is to create an export rule for the FBX. Rampa's pic tutorial provides a good idea of what specific rules to add. I created the rule:
Rule - match - action
0 - head. - export
This exports 113 head morphs into the expression editor. For others they may get more or less depending on the head morphs in their library.
And skinned character built on a rig that 3dx recognizes can be mapped with facial animation. Whether they are morph based, none bases, or a hybrid. A few pages back, I uploaded a couple characters I got free from one of the 3d freebie sites. These characters were built on the maya rig with a lot of extra and facial bones.
There is no automatic mapping for these characters (only DAZ has automatic mapping with the face key). Other characters must have each additional bone mapped manuall: called extended bones, these are mapped in the "convert character" mode. Each bone can be assigned to: mouth, eye, face, and body.
Once mapped, you can use these bones in the expression editor to set your viseme and expressions. It's difficult to get the viseme expressions correct, but it can be done. The characters I uploaded are 2 that are roughly mapped and one that you can map yourself.
For morph based characters that cannot be exported with morphs, there is a way (somewhat complex)to export the morph as an obj, then import the obj or fbx as a controllable morph. There are tutorials on how to do this.

I hope this helps.
By qdai - 11 Years Ago
rcsinger29 (3/15/2013)
...And skinned character built on a rig that 3dx recognizes can be mapped with facial animation. Whether they are morph based, none bases, or a hybrid. A few pages back, I uploaded a couple characters I got free from one of the 3d freebie sites. These characters were built on the maya rig with a lot of extra and facial bones.
There is no automatic mapping for these characters (only DAZ has automatic mapping with the face key).

I hope this helps.

Thank you for the clarification about the Head. export rule. It helps a great deal.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am more concerned with whether you can get automatic facial mapping in 3DX's expression editor if you use any 3d program's native bones and employ the specific hierarchy and naming convention of the Game Bone Template (included in Facial Pipeline Character Pack) but not the exported FBX Game Bone Template itself.

native bones following the Game Bone Template hierarchy and naming for auto facial mapping
vs
native joints (not bones system...like in Modo) following the Game Bone Template hierarchy and naming for auto facial mapping
vs
rigging with the fbx Game Bone Template itself for auto facial mapping

From what I understand the latter scenario gives you auto facial and body mapping. I am wondering about the first two scenarios and auto mapping.
By qdai - 11 Years Ago
wendyluvscatz (3/15/2013)
most of my figures are decimated so one preset will not work on another
https://www.box.com/s/mwnt6y2y151g3nypcr4ythis is my V4 preset

I know Daz 4.5 offers Level Of Detail scene customization for meshes. Do you know if they offer a low poly Genesis base mesh?
you can use the lowest smoothing setting but I still cannot share the preset.
I use decimator on my meshes, this is the reason my presets will not work on any other meshes but the one I do it for.
Hi, thank you for the reply! I had already thought about importing them as objects, but hadn't tried the 'fitting' option in Daz. Unfortunately, none of my four character's hair was able to fit correctly!

3 of them are short hair and therefore the object method will more than do the trick. However, one has long pigtails down to her waist. These are 'cartoon' style characters, I don't want life like hair movement.

I was looking at the reallusion examples of spring bones on a wolf's tail. This effect would be ideal. Would I be able to add these spring bones to the hair if it was an object.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
No, the spring setting is only for extra bones, however, there is (in the pack) a set of dummy bones that you can merge your obj with that will allow you to deform the mesh inside iclone. I don't have the pack yet so I am not sure if it will work for what you desire.

There are also "tricks" you can try if the hair is segmented. You can export the iProp with each hair segment as a sub-prop, edit the pivots, and use transform, scale, and rotate to achieve "movement". I use the vic5 elite ponytail in this way. There are 7 segments to the ponytail and provided you are meticulous, you can keyframe animations.

One other thing that I have toyed with a little with mixed results is soft cloth pinning. You can assign physics properties to the pigtails themselves and pin them to another object. The specific method for this with your avatar may require someone more experienced than I as I use physics characters when doing this.

You can import spring settings for certain items in iclone that will create movement in said item. Again, mixed results and I am not experienced enough to give you detailed instruction on. It's just something I toy with and sometimes get a real good result and others I get crazy behavior.
By warlord720 - 11 Years Ago
rampa (3/13/2013)
It wouldn't be stealing! Everyone is welcome to it.

I have not tried any body morphs yet. Although one of the beta testers (Warlord?) posted a video showing a werewolf transformation.

Just posted a short tute on this. I know of two ways to control the morph and if anyone has a better way then please post it.

Hi, thanks for the help! I'm gonna have a play with a few of the different options you outlined. Will be sure to post results of any successful methods.

A quick question that I fear may be a little obvious (please see "NEWBIE" reference with my posts Smile

I am finding that the Daz characters are running quite slow in iClone, something I did expect but they are a little too slow to achieve the super accurate facial animation I am going for.

My plan is to import a 'decimated' Genesis character for better real time performance, then when the project is finished re-import the full quality Genesis figure and apply the pre-prepared animation to it - including the viseme animation. Is this possible??

I get the feeling it is, I would just prefer not to waste time animating a lower quality character if that animation cannot be completely transferred. As I said, the viseme is my main concern.

Thanks again everyone for your time! Hopefully, soon I can start to contribute some solutions rather than just problems! Wink
You can not save facial animation (at least you never could) but you can replace one iClone character with another, just by selecting the one you want to replace and applying the one you want to use. I have never tried this with DAZ characters, so that would need to be tested.

There are a few things you can try though before taking such drastic measures. One is to use Quick Shading instead of Pixel Shading while animating (or the other kind of shading whose name escapes me). Another thing to look at is DAZ's texture size and the number of textures, which may do more to account for slowness than the number of polys. You could temporarily replace the textures with lower res equivalents, or you could try to set real-time texture size to a low value. Another option is DAZ's texture atlas to somewhat contain the number of textures.

My concern is that exchanging characters with different polygonity (if that's a word...Ermm ) may not work so well.

BTW, don't retrain yourself asking questions. As far as IC 5.4 is concerned most of us are newbies! Except perhaps for the betatesters.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I am keen to try other methods as I've just noticed that decimator isn't free! Already spent another unexpected $130 yesterday on the face fit .duf thingy!

When playing back a simple preset dance motion on my daz character in iclone the framerate ranges from around 8fps in pixel shading to around 12fps in wireframe which is pretty much useless for facial animation anyway.

I'm running windows 7 on a brand new mac mini 2.3 quad-core with 4GB ram. Intel 4000 graphics.

How do these frame rates compare to other people's experiences with genesis in iclone?

By Rampa - 11 Years Ago
@ Resoundproductions,

You can indeed use a standard iCone avatar as a stand-in. The speech works fine when you replace the avatar as Animagic pointed out.

You may want to make sure your stand-in avatar and DAZ avatar are similar, like the height and basic build.
I have downloaded all the 3dx resource packs again and I still do not have the scoopback, surfer, or troll with facial animation. I thought all of these characters had been updated
By Corvega - 11 Years Ago
Can facial animations be done by ONLY having the 3dexchange upgrade 5.4?
Also where do I find iCloneFaceKey.DUF?

I would like to keep Daz 64bit since I can use Photoshop to edit the character. I think that the 32bit does not have this feature in DAZ

What is the difference between these two dwnloads

3DX5 Character Designer's Resource Pack for Version5.4 (84.2 MB)
3DX5 Character Designer's Resource Pack (FBX Format) (93.7 MB)

I also noticed that 3dxchange 5.4 crashes when I try to convert to non standard character.
This was not happening with ver 5.0
By gsimonelli - 11 Years Ago
You will also have to buy the aniMate2 part for DAZ or you won't be able to drag and drop the duf file on to the scene. $60.00 unless it come with it mine didn't. Daz3D v4.5
Corvega (3/16/2013)
Can facial animations be done by ONLY having the 3dexchange upgrade 5.4?
Also where do I find iCloneFaceKey.DUF?

I would like to keep Daz 64bit since I can use Photoshop to edit the character. I think that the 32bit does not have this feature in DAZ

What is the difference between these two dwnloads

3DX5 Character Designer's Resource Pack for Version5.4 (84.2 MB)
3DX5 Character Designer's Resource Pack (FBX Format) (93.7 MB)

I also noticed that 3dxchange 5.4 crashes when I try to convert to non standard character.
This was not happening with ver 5.0

You can do it in the 64 bit version. You have to purchase the facial pipeline pack in order to get the .DUF. You can set export rules to export the facial expressions without the DUF. If your 3dx crashes, try another character or try to reinstall the update. As far as purchasing animate, I can apply morphs along the timeline without having purchased it. It comes with animate lite and the actual timeline is not the same as the animate timeline. I don't have the DUF and I don't drag and drop, I manually assign morphs to the timeline so I am not sure.
whats the purpose of the free upgrade if I cant do facial animation? I was under the impression
we get the Duf file when we upload the upgraded 5.4 version.

This was the confusion the day it was released. You CAN do facial animation with the free upgrade and you DO NOT need the .DUF to do so.

Basically all the DUF file does is automate the process. Myself and Rampa have both provided detailed discussion for how to manually convert the characters.

Reallusion spent a great deal of time creating what is hands down the most powerful tool I have ever seen and I understand them wanting to make a profit for their investment. I, like you, think the DUF should be free, but they did provide what was promised. It's not that user friendly AT FIRST, but once you've done it a few times, it's pretty easy, albeit a little time consuming.
Peter

Can you purchase just the DAZ Genesis Extension or are we being forced to get the pipeline
which I dont need?

So.... Bought the pack, loaded the DUF, and it took about 20 minutes to export the character from DAZ???

Using the head. Rule, even when adding body morphs to the timeline, the export happened in less than 30 sec.
By elektron2kim - 11 Years Ago
This is a great upgrade. BigGrin

Had problems with the advertisement, though. Next time, I would prefer RL to write "You really need this!" or something similar uncomplicated - Here some thoughts which I wasted time on:

I found it hard to understand why the DAZ Genesis Extension pack is called "free" - when it is "Free (for a limited time) when buying it together with" (That's not free.)

If it's not available for a price otherwise, it can't be free. Hehe It's stuck to the other object, constrained by it. Okay?

I was able to facial animate a DAZ Genesis without any files by simply finding a Genesis that worked and by luck moving the sliders, but the DUF file makes it so much easier, that it is worth the money and here I don't understand "the over buy kill" of 2-3 packs extra.

The duf file could have been priced at $19.95 for itself.

I also wondered about "How can I only buy the DAZ Extension (with the DUF)?" and "How do I get the non-export version of the character pack?" - plus "can I just get the DUF file? Maybe buy it?"

- Then some extra money mysteriously arrived into my bank account and I thought "let's buy it once and for all and get to work, because the other way is complicated... " - I mean, you should see those beauties dance in iClone with a smile on!

Now I need an advice/hint on how to take my old iClone clone stock of DAZ beauties out on a facial journey and back in - or at least, what to call it.

Not sure what the best recycle pipeline would be and I hardly begun exploring it.

In worst case, I saved them all in DAZ duf format, but I would prefer to keep them as they were (sort of a family thing being attached emotionally. - At least for 2-3 of them.)

I would also like to know how to reimport Daz3d characters I've created and already sent to Iclone to get their facial morphs working. I would just resend through the pipeline However for a few characters the original Daz files have disappeared somehow (poof).

I have the $130 .duf file and was hoping there is a simple way to get their facial morphs into iclone. I would have to have to recreate from scratch since some of the texturing took a couple weeks to get the way I wanted but I guess I could if it's my only option.
By RB3006 - 11 Years Ago
I have done the same experience. But only the newest (and not dezimated) convertet avatars will react on the lipsync. (I guess ...DSON Core Installer?) I suppose older avatars have a FBX file problem.
Robert
By Rampa - 11 Years Ago
I was a little surprised that saving the expression file in 3DX would not work for other DAZ characters. It does a face count check. Now, obviously, your morphs and model need to correspond, but I would have thought this file was just a list of morphs, and so would apply to any DAZ Genesis character. When I opened the file in a text editor, I discovered that it is not human-readable.

So, without the expensive DUF, it truly is a one-by-one process of applying character expressions.

GrumbleCrying
That isn't the case with bone based facial avatars. I have about 20 different characters with the maya rig and I can load an expression preset that works with all the characters on the same rig.

The only problem is that while the rig is the same, the meh and symmetry isn't, so a specific expression may look great on one character and look horrible on another. So I have to edit each expression for each character. But the preset is there.

One question I have, I could be wrong but I thought I did save an expression preset on a Daz character and use it again.
Were both of your characters exported with the same exact set of morphs?
By Proctos - 11 Years Ago
gsimonelli (3/16/2013)
You will also have to buy the aniMate2 part for DAZ or you won't be able to drag and drop the duf file on to the scene. $60.00 unless it come with it mine didn't. Daz3D v4.5

Is that correct?  I have the .DUF file, have spent the day upgrading Daz 4.0 to 4.5 (and have lost animate2 as a result) and trying to "load" the .DUF file into Daz.  I can't drag & drop it onto genesis, and, despite copying the file to   My Daz 3D library/ People/ Genesis/ iCloneFaceKey.duf searching for it in Daz Content Library just draws a blank.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong other than not spending the $60?

By Rampa - 11 Years Ago
rcsinger29 (3/17/2013)
One question I have, I could be wrong but I thought I did save an expression preset on a Daz character and use it again.
Were both of your characters exported with the same exact set of morphs?

All I did was change the decimation level. Hence the message that they didn't match. I am only exporting the same set of rules each time.

I guess the solution is to only export full resolution naked characters.Hehe
If a piece of clothing covers an entire body region, what I do is make those parts of the body invisible and then prepare Decimator, but then exit without actually decimating the remaining verticies.

There is also a tool called polygon group editor that allows you to select regions, parts, or individual verts and delete them. I have done this with clothing also. Sometimes (bikinis) its too much work than the benefit.

By Rampa - 11 Years Ago
It's the clothing and hair (if you do it in DAZ) that make the difference. Any figure you make with Genesis will always have the exact same face count and topology (with verts moved around a bit). Hair is not a problem, as it can be added as a prop later, but clothing cannot be (not yet, anyway). The Genesis figure should always decimate the same as well, as long as the decimation weightings are consistent.

Which brings us back to one-by-one, or needing a simple way to pin physics clothing in iClone. Or, spend the extra money. I'm still feeling broke, so it's not an option for me right now. Obviously, if it's being used to make money for client videos or something, its a no-brainer.
Another thing I have done that's a bit of a hassle but does give some cool options is to export the nude avatar and the clothing (as avatar) seperately.
Once inside iclone, align and apply the same motion to each avatar. It looks like a single clothed avatar. Of course you have to apply the clothing to the exact avatar you want to match for shaping purposes, but then you can delete the genesis character, leaving the clothing. It keeps the full genesis rig and you can animate the clothing exactly as you can the avatar. I have never tried to puppet like this, but library motions work seamlessly.

This would be another great use for pose-matching and mimic options to have one avatar mimic another.

A really cool effect this offers is that by using motion layer, you can create scenes where the avatar interacts with the clothing, thumbs in pants, lift shirt tail, etc.
Combining the use of the same outfit as props with the character and clothing avatar, messing with opacities of each, full clothing interaction can be simulated. It's complex and time consuming (and I'm certain there is an easier way) but the results are quite nice.
I may have missed it somewhere but I'm wanting to know 2 things if possible

1) Can a previously imported genesis figure be reimported from iclone and back for new facial animation abilities to be added?
2) Also for adding bones to something like hair and various other objects to add spring effects. Can the bone be added in xchange or do the need to be added inside a modeling program?
By Rampa - 11 Years Ago
@rcsinger29

I think it would work for shirts, pants, and shoes to attach dummy props to your character, and then use the reach targets for the clothing to reach to the dummy props. The toe bend for walking will be taken care of by "foot Contact" on the clothing.
By Rampa - 11 Years Ago
Just learned something new about DAZ. Not surprising really, as I have never learned it much.

Clothing does not always have a full skeleton, but only the bones it needs to function.BigGrin
@Rampa

You can convert to Non-Human, but not non standard when you load the clothingby itself. It also will not march your mesh for the avatar you try to use it with.

You cannot load motions from the libraryand must edit motion layer for all animation (I havent tried the reach target method yet).

There are morphs for the clothing (fit morphs) that allow you to expand and contract various parts (waist, breast, hip, etc) that are particularly useful when you decimate the clothing. This will do you little good inside iclone.

It works great (for me) to load my character, add the cloths, then delete genesis. The full rig is there but without the character. The weighting is the same as if the character were there, and you can now convert to non std and use all the motion files.

If the reach target method works with the non human character, let me know. It might change the way I do things.

By warlord720 - 11 Years Ago
jonblade1 (3/18/2013)

1) Can a previously imported genesis figure be reimported from iclone and back for new facial animation abilities to be added?
2) Also for adding bones to something like hair and various other objects to add spring effects. Can the bone be added in xchange or do the need to be added inside a modeling program?

I regularly go back and forth when I need to change something like adding more or less to a slider control if this is what you are asking.
I was wrong, You can't delete the genesis character, you must select Genesis in the surfaces tab and slide the opacity slider to 0, then "prepare to Decimate" with Remove invisible "nodes" and "Surfaces" selected.

This will retain the full genesis rig and the shape of the avatar you used when fitting the clothing.

jonblade1 (3/18/2013)

I have not been able to add a morph to a DAZ character that wasn't originally exported with the fbx. As warlord said, you can open the iAvatar you previously exported and adjust the expressions and custom puppet morphs. I'm pretty sure it keeps all the morphs you originally exported, even if you didn't assign them in the expression editor.

You can add morphs after you open a character in 3dx but they must be obj or fbx format so I don't know how to add a Genesis morph inside 3dx after you export from DAZ.

To your second question, you cannot add bones in 3dx. We were hoping that gamebone would allow you to do that but no luck. Some hair meshes in Daz do have a bone structure but most of them are just morphs, which can also be exported and used inside iclone.

You must add bones in another program if you want spring settings to hair that does not have bones. You can actually add bones in Daz. I have toyed with the joint editor inside Daz a little but I don't know a lot about rigging. Daz sells rigging training for 10 bucks that teaches simple and advanced rigging.
I did import the character with fbx and can export it from iclone to fbx again but not sure how to insert the .duf file to make her talk Sad

and thanx for the answer for number 2 adding bones inside daz no problem I can do that.
I have successfully added facial animation to some of my previously imported pre-update characters.
using my saved Genesis profile.
but
they appear to need to be undecimated, without extra bones such as skirts and hair with bones.
Conformed clothes ok but needs to be just ordinary clothing, no handles etc that create extra bones or it says the mesh does not match the profile or something.
some however just will not work regardless, been about 50/50 success rate.
By Rampa - 11 Years Ago
@rcsinger29

Close, but no cigar. I thought the reach targets might work, but not quite. You can indeed align the clothing with them at the wrists and ankles, but not at the elbows and knees. I was hoping that the clothing would bend its joints the same way as the model below it because of the HumanIK, but they won't match up well enough. The body reach targets hold the clothing in place, but I am not sure the exact bones they correlate to for their attachment points on the avatar. My best guess (and second guess) did not align perfectly. Odd. I would have thought they would be an exact match like the wrists and ankles.
Did you watch the video I posted?
@rampa
By Rampa - 11 Years Ago
I did. I thought it was great. It seems that's the way to do it for now.

If we could do a collect clip for an entire move (for an avatar), and have it behave as expected, it would be an easy solution. The problem is, if you do a collect clip of your avatar walking around, it futzes the whole thing. Iclone loses the proper avatar orientation. I think it will get the position right though, so it could be corrected. This is , to me, one of the biggest hurdles Reallusion has yet to solve. The movement system has just never been right. They should look at Moviestorm to get an idea of how to do a movement system right.

By movement system, I mean the avatar walking about with proper root translation occuring simultaneously.
By Rampa - 11 Years Ago
rampa (3/19/2013)
I did. I thought it was great. It seems that's the way to do it for now.

If we could do a collect clip for an entire move (for an avatar), and have it behave as expected, it would be an easy solution. The problem is, if you do a collect clip of your avatar walking around, it futzes the whole thing. Iclone loses the proper avatar orientation. I think it will get the position right though, so it could be corrected. This is , to me, one of the biggest hurdles Reallusion has yet to solve. The movement system has just never been right. They should look at Moviestorm to get an idea of how to do a movement system right.

By movement system, I mean the avatar walking about with proper root translation occuring simultaneously.

Alright, just did some testing and proved myself to be completely (I hope) wrong. I was able to create a random avatar walk, collect the clip, and load it to a second avatar. Last time I tried this, it made the mess I mentioned (in 5.2 I think). So perhaps it's been fixed. I made sure to do the walk with my avatar not starting at the origin (0,0,0). I did need to position my second avatar to the same start point. First avatar was a Genesis figure, and second was a set of clothing that had been created to fit the Genesis figure.

@rcsinger29
It also works well to set every little eye of your Genesis figure to closed in the DAZ scene manager to hide in order to remove the body but leave the bones. Don't close the eye for Genesis, just all the ones under it.
By Rampa - 11 Years Ago
Regarding my previous post:

When the puppet starts rotated away from (0,0,0), the collected clip will not orient properly, but will be correct in terms of movement. The avatar (clothing, in my case) that the collected motion is applied to must have its root oriented to that of the original. This can be done by linking the avatar to a block, rotating the block until the avatar is properly oriented, and then unlinking the avatar from the block.

The easier way is just to start your animation with your actor not rotated at all, and when all motion is done, add in the second avatar and position it to match the first.
Proctos (3/17/2013)
gsimonelli (3/16/2013)

Is that correct?  I have the .DUF file, have spent the day upgrading Daz 4.0 to 4.5 (and have lost animate2 as a result) and trying to "load" the .DUF file into Daz.  I can't drag & drop it onto genesis, and, despite copying the file to   My Daz 3D library/ People/ Genesis/ iCloneFaceKey.duf searching for it in Daz Content Library just draws a blank.

Proctos (3/19/2013)
Proctos (3/17/2013)
gsimonelli (3/16/2013)

why would you need Animate to load the .duf file? I can just drop it on the Genesis figure's head from an open window and DS adds keyframes after selecting accept.
Corvega (3/16/2013)
Peter

Can you purchase just the DAZ Genesis Extension or are we being forced to get the pipeline
which I dont need?

Unfortunately not.

The Daz Genesis Extensions are only available with the Facial Pipeline Character Pack.

You can also export just the pants or just the shirt (or any other combination) in the same way, having now 3 or more avatars. I'm sure this stands to reason, but it's worth mentioning because it allows you to change the "outfit" inside iClone to your likes. But like always, there's a catch.

Because of the auto-fit tool, the clothing is adjusted to the figure with consideration of the other clothing in the scene. For this reason, the fit may be different with different clothing combinations and they may show through in a non-realistic way.

This is a great reason to export the clothing morphs with the various articles of clothing you export; particularly the expand waist morphs, in addition to simulating movement, you can adjust the fit ever so slightly inside iclone in the first few frames to compensate for the problem.

This would be a food thing for Reallusion to look into for the next update. Having morph sliders in the motion layer tool for static adjustments in addition to real time puppet. The avatar proportion does not offer a good result due to the lack of ability to select parts of an imported avatar. Parts of the clothing is fitted properly, so adjusting proportion will mess up the fit on the rest of the avatar.

A lot of this probably stands to reason, but for the purposes listed above, it's probably a good idea to use a single body preset for multiple avatars. Most of the body presets look great without custom adjustment. If you use the same body preset or just a few presets, and export multiple times with different heads and textures, any clothing you fit to that body shape will be universal.

Worth noting, you can decimate everything but the head and export a head only avatar and vice versa with a body only avatar. This can also be useful.

It takes some creativity, but in the end, you can achieve a ton of interactivity with outfits and avatars thanks to this new tool. In the words of swooop, there isn't the easy button for changing clothing combinations, but it can be accomplished.
You don't need Animate2!

I returned to DAZ last night and could drag & drop the .duf file onto Genesis without problems.  Still don't know how/why this happened.  I'd tried a simple reboot before without any success.  The .duf file now has the proper icon and I still have my $60!

Think this was probably due to a problem with my PC which won't let me post text to this forum for some reason - hence the 2 commentless quotes above!

Also moved .duf to a different file location which can now be found by DAZ search.  So happy to report that the program works properly - even if my PC doesn't!

By elektron2kim - 11 Years Ago
I had problems with drag and drop of the .duf file to DAZ in Windows 8, so did some research and it happens when "a program is elevated higher than the other" which means: don't run DAZ in administrator mode (when doing so)! Cool

Hi everyone!

Does anyone know if it is possible to save facial animation in clone 5?

I would like to reapply the all of my animation to characters in a different project. It would seem that this was possible by animating in CT6 and them saving as a .cts file. Surely with the upgrade to CT7 and loads of other new RL stuff this has been replaced with another method??

Sat ready to start a huge project but don't want to end up with animations 'stuck' in a redundant project. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
By Cricky - 11 Years Ago
Resoundproductions (3/21/2013)
Hi everyone!

Does anyone know if it is possible to save facial animation in clone 5?

I would like to reapply the all of my animation to characters in a different project. It would seem that this was possible by animating in CT6 and them saving as a .cts file. Surely with the upgrade to CT7 and loads of other new RL stuff this has been replaced with another method??

Sat ready to start a huge project but don't want to end up with animations 'stuck' in a redundant project. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Yes, you can save the facial animation as an *.iTalk file. Choose The Facial Animation from the Animation Options, then choose your Custom Tab in the Content Manager. Choose the "ADD +" button and wait for it to save.

Takes a little longer, and I only assume this, because it also saves the Viseme files associated with the character it was used on.
Awesome! Thanks!
By kungphu - 11 Years Ago

Greetings! I pretty much a noob here on the forum. I’m more an orchestral composer but have really gotten interested in animation with the help of iClone some inspirational members here on the board and now finally the Daz facial animation. All I can say is WOW Realillusion!!! The update was well worth the wait. I will miss reading the angry threads though with complaint after complaint but I digress….Hehe

I was hoping someone could share their experience using the DUF file. It is as simple as can be and that’s why I purchased the pack; for speed. The issue I’m running into is that when I apply the DUF file it takes a loooooong time for me to transfer. I have two Genesis characters I am messing with right now. One has a custom low res head. That transfer took about 2-3 hours after I applied the DUF file. I was expecting the file to be ginormous but it was about 40MB. The second character I am trying to transfer is another Genesis character but the face is a morphed preset with a standard high res texture map for the head. This little guy is going on 5 hours and still has not been exported. I’m wondering how huge the file is going to be?? It is important to note that both characters are using Genesis clothing (shirt/pants/shoes). I’m not sure but I’m guessing the for fit clothing has something to do with the file size. I haven’t tried to do the export after decimating the characters. My first step was just to see if I could get a few characters into iClone from Daz.

Are these export times normal for you guys that have used the DUF file and exported characters? I am using 32bit Daz since I’d read it was more stable. I was going to experiment a bit and decimate the characters first and then export all in Daz 32bit. Then I would install the 64 bit version of Daz and start with the un-decimated character trying to see if there is a noticeable difference using 16GB of ram as opposed to the 4gb from the 32 bit version (not sure if it’s more a function of the graphics card). Last was to try the decimated character in the 64bit version and notice any changes in export time. FYI my laptop is running Win 7 with an ivy bridge i7, 16GB of ram and an NVIDIA GTX 675M. It should have plenty of juice. Not sure if the long export times are something normal or not.

I am sure the previous poster has a lot to say by the length of his post but since I cannot read it on my android browser, will never know w00t
By animatom - 11 Years Ago
He said:
Greetings! I pretty much a noob here on the forum. I’m more an orchestral composer but have really gotten interested in animation with the help of iClone some inspirational members here on the board and now finally the Daz facial animation. All I can say is WOW Realillusion!!! The update was well worth the wait. I will miss reading the angry threads though with complaint after complaint but I digress….

I was hoping someone could share their experience using the DUF file. It is as simple as can be and that’s why I purchased the pack; for speed. The issue I’m running into is that when I apply the DUF file it takes a loooooong time for me to transfer. I have two Genesis characters I am messing with right now. One has a custom low res head. That transfer took about 2-3 hours after I applied the DUF file. I was expecting the file to be ginormous but it was about 40MB. The second character I am trying to transfer is another Genesis character but the face is a morphed preset with a standard high res texture map for the head. This little guy is going on 5 hours and still has not been exported. I’m wondering how huge the file is going to be?? It is important to note that both characters are using Genesis clothing (shirt/pants/shoes). I’m not sure but I’m guessing the for fit clothing has something to do with the file size. I haven’t tried to do the export after decimating the characters. My first step was just to see if I could get a few characters into iClone from Daz.

Are these export times normal for you guys that have used the DUF file and exported characters? I am using 32bit Daz since I’d read it was more stable. I was going to experiment a bit and decimate the characters first and then export all in Daz 32bit. Then I would install the 64 bit version of Daz and start with the un-decimated character trying to see if there is a noticeable difference using 16GB of ram as opposed to the 4gb from the 32 bit version (not sure if it’s more a function of the graphics card). Last was to try the decimated character in the 64bit version and notice any changes in export time. FYI my laptop is running Win 7 with an ivy bridge i7, 16GB of ram and an NVIDIA GTX 675M. It should have plenty of juice. Not sure if the long export times are something normal or not.

I say:
No, it's not normal export times, it should be seconds, not hours. I don't know what is problem, but you can use lttle trick and just make your character speak few words in DAZ (since 32bit version have lipsync tool and 64bit not). Exported facial animation will do what DUF basically does - activate face morphs. Just little toying with assigning right shape to right visems in 3DXchange and you are done.
DUF is highly overrated on this forum and what really does is sparing 2 minutes of job (2 minutes is exactly the time I need to write such helpless answer. Smile), and that only for Genesis models. With this Lipsync "method" you can use almost any character.
(and no, you will not notice and difference in speed at 32 or 64bit. I have similar configuration and it is all the same. BTW, you can have both version installed in the same time and you will see that it is nothing to see.)
I have had issues when using the DUF export in terms of time.

When using export rules with no timeline animation, the export is mere seconds.

When using the DUF, it takes longer, sometimes a couple of minutes.

If I have other software running (as I normally have iclone, 3dx, daz, sometimes IE and Max open), it can take up to an hour.

The export gets hung up when baking the animation. The same thing happens when baking body and hair morphs (although not near as long).

The DUF file is nothing more than a chronological morph list that 3dx is programmed to recognize in a specific structure. This is what allows 3dx to automate the facial morph mapping. You can accomplish the same thing fairly simple using the "head." export rule or follow Rampas export rule list from a few pages back.

It has nothing to do with the computer, its less than a year old, 8G ram, 3.1g 8core amd.

I wonder if we could encourage Reallusion to update 3dx to interpret the morph names instead of a morph order to automate the process. All of the morphs have the same respective name regardless of the export method.

By hj - 11 Years Ago
That transfer took about 2-3 hours after I applied the DUF file.

be shure, that your "FPS" is set to 1 in DAZ before you applied the DUF file otherwise it takes a long time to morph every frame with clothes.
With FPS 1 you get 57 Frame, with FPS 30 you get 1710. That takes the time
You need the 57 Frame by FPS 1 to get the morphs.

best

hj

Hey guys and gals thanks for the help!  Hopefully my text is white this time WendyWinkCool

I didn't expect 32 and 64 bit to make much of a difference since its' really the Graphics card that is being taxed.  So obviously something is awry on my end.  I think I may have stumbled on the problem.  If I save just character as a scene it saves in seconds but now if I try and export the figure as a poser figure CR2 file (no DUF file or tmieline animation), it still takes forever and a day.  I started using Generation X to port some older firgures into Genesis.  I've used it with little success.  But what has happened is that my base Genesis character has 100's of new morphs now.  As I was saving my male figure it was also saving morphs for Victoria, Stephani etc. etc.  Perhaps I need to sweep out all of those Gen X morphs.  Thanks for the help guys!  Now back to the Daz forum for help with Daz!  I think I'll get there eventually.

mine have facegen and genX morphs and can indeed take up to an hour to export but another method I use for only undecimated figures is to "add" a plain Genesis fbx to the expressions import with the Genesis mesh selected then in expression editor load a presaved Genesis profile.
I have been able to fix older pre 5.4 figures that were not decimated this way too for facial animation.
I must do some for figures decimated to 15 000 or 20 000 too as I commonly use those sizes and it might work if exact, yet to try.
thx for changing to white text, other colours ok too esp yellow but black on black impossibe even though I have my reading glasses on.
No worries Wendy! I actually did a cut and paste job from another browser and behold midnight blue font. Awesome and has a stealthy look to it...Smile  I'm pretty new to the Daz 3DXchange thing so I'm not too sure I follow.  I think (I stress I think) what you are saying is along the lines of get a plain gensis mesh in Daz and in my case since I'm lazy BigGrin apply the DUF file and export as a sample FBX.  Export my heavily morphed character as FBX to 3dXchange.  In Xchange I load my character and then apply the plain Genesis FBX morph list in the Face Editor?  Not sure if this is your method.  I'll give it a whirl and see what happens, perhaps I have it all wrong.
OK so some progress has been made.  First thing I did was shut Daz down.  After donig that I didn't have all of those extra morphs that werent being used ported over and the figure transferred in about 40 minutes.  In the past weeks I've dealt with Daz, boy is it buggy... So 40mins. ain't great but it's better than 4-6 hours!  This was a fully clothed figure, and of course I forgot to check the "merge clothing into Figure Skeleton" box because... I'm AWESOME.Hehe  So I checked the file size and it was about 28.5MB.  I stripped him down since all these tuts have non-clothed figures and viola!  It transferred in a matter of seconds, same figure... same textures.  Worked like a champ in 3D Xchange.  The file size was only 9MB.  So the form fitting clothes are a killer on time.  Not to mention I had a figure with custom mapped clothing and that thing pegged out at over 45MB.  Maybe I'll look at some of the clothing only export methods mentioned previously; unless I understood Wendy's method correctly and it works.  Thanks Cloners!  I guess from now on, all my vids will have nekked Daz characters running around the Maypole!
yes. that is exactly what I was suggesting.
I only do it for characters I converted before 3dx5.4 but it would work for others.
you need to have saved the expression profile with the visemes to so you can load that on your new one.
My characters far from naked so unsure wgat is going on for you in studio.
Some take over an hour or more but usually very high poly with fibremesh hair and stuff or in some cases LAMH hair I have conformed using the transfer utility which take several hours, load very slowly in 3dx5 and iClone and are VERY demanding, best rendered alone and composited with a video background.
I bought lots of second skings for V3 in bogo sale and have texture converter so can dress Genesis in texture clothes too.
My Aiko 5's took about an hour each to export used in this video.
By Rampa - 11 Years Ago
I just discovered how to use the transfer utility today. It's pretty cool!
If you figure out how to merge it with a genesis figure let enlighten us.
You are suppose to be able to import non native clothing meshes, masks and or etc and merge them with genesis, but every time I have tried this, the resulting figure was a moving avatar with a static item imported with transfer utility.
Can we import 3ds max models into 3dxexchange to get facial animation?
have you got merge skeletons checked on fbx export?
I use transfer tool all the time and the clothes is conformed in iClone too.
Works the same as attach skeleton with hip selected in Carrara.
The only difference in Daz studio is that I need to send to hexagon and line up (or export and reimport as an obj in the current position) as Daz studio attaches it to the bones in default position.
With most smart props having it parented and picking the clone figure it is made for solves this issue.
Adding a smoothing modifier under parameters edit fixes poke through, this also exports for the position the figure is in upon export.
You can save the item as a clothing asset too and reuse it on other Genesis figures.
By Rampa - 11 Years Ago
I'll try and explain the transfer utility a bit. What I can grok of it anyway.Smile

The model you want to tranfer rigging and weighting to must be the proper size and location already. Basically, you need to make it fit the character like clothing (character is inside it). You can do this right in DAZ by importing an OBJ, scaling/moving it to the right size and position, then saving it as an OBJ and re-importing it. This effectively does the same thing that resetting the tranfoorm does in 3DX. It sets the current scale to 100% and the current location to 0,0,0. You can do this in another program if you wish. I exported a low-rez OBJ version of my character to use for sizing/alignment in other programs. Either way works, so do what fits your style.

With your character loaded in DAZ, import your "clothing" model.

Under the "edit" menu you will find a sub menu "figure". Under that is the transfer utility.

The transfer utility has three important parts "source", "target", and "projection template". Source should be set to your character (Genesis). Target should be set to your clothing model. Projection template should be set to the type of clothing it is (EG bodysuit). This is important to set, as the weightings change depending on what this is set to.

Click on accept.

Your former OBJ is now a rigged Genesis pice of clothing which will pose and export with your character.

By NicaM - 11 Years Ago
Hi,

I am interested in adding facial expression to a non-human character and a human character imported from blender. The mouth must move as well, in other words the character will speak. From what I understand, using the 3DXchange4 to convert your character to an avatar that is treated as a "Non-Human Character" in iClone, the character will be animated, but "will not" be able to accept standard motion files or do facial animation. Will the facial pipeline allow a customized character to speak that is imported from programs, such as Blender or Daz Studio? Or is this only for "preset" characters. If so, what are my other options to allow speaking capabilities on my characters?

Thanks!
By qdai - 11 Years Ago
NicaM (3/26/2013)
Hi,

I am interested in adding facial expression to a non-human character and a human character imported from blender. The mouth must move as well, in other words the character will speak. From what I understand, using the 3DXchange4 to convert your character to an avatar that is treated as a "Non-Human Character" in iClone, the character will be animated, but "will not" be able to accept standard motion files or do facial animation. Will the facial pipeline allow a customized character to speak that is imported from programs, such as Blender or Daz Studio? Or is this only for "preset" characters. If so, what are my other options to allow speaking capabilities on my characters?

Thanks!

This may help. Saw this link in another forum post.
By tonilandau - 11 Years Ago
Peter, so now I'm confused: Do we have to buy the animation face pak,and the Daz extension duf file separately or it comes in the bundle?w00t
@rcsinger29,
thanks for your elaborate but useful contribution. I will set myself Winkto work on it.
Thanks @rampa,
these links are useful!. I always use CG Share for all my free clothing for Genesis. BTW someone told me this website has low-poly characters useful for Iclone. I shall explore them.Smile
tonilandau (6/11/2013)
Peter, so now I'm confused: Do we have to buy the animation face pak,and the Daz extension duf file separately or it comes in the bundle?w00t

If you require the Daz Genesis Extensions including the DUF file, then you will need to purchase the "Facial Pipeline Character Pack". Everything you need is included in this package. You can find it HERE for more information.

I love you SwOoooOOOoooOOOOp!!!

By majorlance - 11 Years Ago
Hi guys.  Just wondering if anyone else is having the same problem I'm having.  Just bought 3dx5 pipeline and the facial extension pack, and I downloaded Daz3D.  I followed the tutorials by Kenan Ay and Cricky to import Daz characters to 3dx5, but whenever I try to import the .fbx file I receive an error message that 3dx5 has stopped working.  There seems to be nothing I can do differently; it's always the same message.  Has anyone else experienced this? Any advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

ML

I get that without fail if I make Genesis invisible in Studio.
(have tried a few times for stuff I wanted to use in expression editor but not enough or any bones for a character parented to head, maya dummy bone via iClone works)
some conformed items have crashed it too, certain clothings or hair.
try eliminating some to find if is a specific item.
Same thing happens with nude characters sans hair. After hours of experimenting I'm beginning to suspect that it is the DUF file. It's the only variable that if left out 3dexchange opeitns the fbx file export from DAZ. Is it possible that the duf file being for DAZ 4.5 (I read that in the documentation) is the culprit because I have DAZ 4.6?
Wendy,

An update: Mr. Lagel in another post mentioned deselecting "subd information" in the Daz fbx export box, and that did the trick!  Thanks for your advice as well.

Regards,

ML

By jbadr2001 - 11 Years Ago
Hello everyone,

I'm not clear either with the facial animation of Michael 4/ Victoria 4 in iClone. It works fine with Genesis, yet seems different for the 4th generation of DAZ characters.
Thank you for help
By bobdoyle - 11 Years Ago
after having experimented with several original daz creations, I can safely say, you will want to tweak all the settings anyway - a character like a child vs a character like a Giant troll are going to have different movements - so one profile doesn't fit all - it's good to have a standard profile for a start - but programing the movements will be a skill / art all it's own, especially considering how far you can take it beyond the standard viseme settings and including eyebrow and cheek movements per expression. w00t

This is the most frustration I've ever felt with iClone and Reallusion.

I was finally able to figure out on my own how to program the Viseme stuff in the Expression editor, but I can't affect any jaw, muscle, etc. The sliders only apply to the mouth, and I can't see how to make any changes at all, so when I bring the character in iClone, I can move the eyes, and they will speak, but I can't close the eyes, move the eyebrows, or make any expressions.

WHAT am I missing??

By bobdoyle - 11 Years Ago
Ok, I've made progress and figured out some of this.

I created a timeline with different morphs, exported, was able to properly map things in 3dxchange for the most part, but then I saved the profile from within the Expression Editor so I wouldn't have to start from scratch every time, but when I exported another model and brought it into 3dXchange, I loaded the profile I'd saved with Jaw, Muscle, etc. all handled, but none of that information loaded, nor did all the work I did on the Visemes.

Shouldn't all that have saved and then been able to be loaded into my next import?
By brothertcoleman - 11 Years Ago
Can someone please explain how the Game Bone Template thing works ?
Can I import any .obj into 3dXchange and map bones to be used in iClone? (Like a robot from SketchUp 3D Warehouse without part by part clone boning in iClone)

This is part of my $299+ purchase to GET CrazyTalk Animator 2 Pipeline,so if I'm spending the money just want to know if that's how it works.
By duchess110 - 11 Years Ago
brothertcoleman (11/20/2013)
Can someone please explain how the Game Bone Template thing works ?
Can I import any .obj into 3dXchange and map bones to be used in iClone? (Like a robot from SketchUp 3D Warehouse without part by part clone boning in iClone)

This is part of my $299+ purchase to GET CrazyTalk Animator 2 Pipeline,so if I'm spending the money just want to know if that's how it works.

3dxchange will indeed map bones but there has to be bones in your object for it to map to.

So you would need to take your sketchup robot into the likes of Blender Max Maya etc

and then add the Game Bones to it. You would need to adjust the bones to fit your robot and then skin those bones to your robot mesh then export as fbx take it into exchange where it would then have some bones to map against.

Hope that helps.

By Pochontas - 10 Years Ago
Come one, couldn't you rather make it for V4 instead of Genesis since most of the characters seem to be for V4/M4?
Seriously is there any hope that there will be some FaceKey file for V4? I mean what seem to be so different?
By RB3006 - 10 Years Ago
Come one, couldn't you rather make it for V4 instead of Genesis since most of the characters seem to be for V4/M4?
Seriously is there any hope that there will be some FaceKey file for V4? I mean what seem to be so different?

M & V4 Figures have over 100.000 Polys more than Genesis (without clothes). they are not useable in iClone. Both figures are not suitable for iClone
By Pochontas - 10 Years Ago
So that's the reason. I thought that high poly number could be solved with Decimator but I guess I was wrong.
By corthew - 10 Years Ago
While I'm waiting on the Iclone6 release I'm playing around with the trial of 5 and 3dxchange.

I don't have facial pipeline.
My question is, when I bring a daz genesis character into 3dxchange I see the visemes loading. It shows the mouth animations for them as the character loads.

So why is it that when I export it to Iclone then open it there, the character is close mouthed?

If 3dxchange recognizes them which it obviously does, why doesn't it export them to iclone?

Is it something I'm not doing?
By Rampa - 10 Years Ago
The vesemes are only mapped automatically if you use a specific animation file, that is a pay item. It is easy to do yourself though.

This video might help.
Ok that makes sense. Its a silly redundancy but it makes sense.

Thanks Rampa.

Now I have something to play around with tomorrow. Smile
By tq.linux - 10 Years Ago
Hi! (^^)/
I also reconfirmed it by "DS4.7+G2F".

"It's Genesis with Facial Pipeline by agreement of the name of the bone."
I think a design of 3DX5's judgement is a reason of confusion.

*Pic1*
Setting of Genesis (facial Pipeline) can't be applied to G2F(No Morphs) in 3DX5.

*Pic2*
*Pic3*
When you export FBX with morph from DS4.7, the item which can be changed in 3DX5 increases.
And a way of a facial animation increases in iClone5.

I also expect 3DXChange6's evolution. o(^^)o
Does the Genesis extension work with 3dxchange pro? I've only seen it bundled with pipeline.

Wait, nevermind. There's an iclone bundle that has xchange pro and facial pipeline.
Hey Rampa,

It took me a few back and forths between looking at the price of Facial Pipeline which is actually not that expensive - Daz has it for $90 right now - and trying to wrap my brain around viseme transferring from daz to iclone in the couple of hours after work I have for fun time, but I finally got it.

I think.

This weekend I'll dedicate more time to it now that I've got the basic idea. Smile

Thanks again for the video tut. Smile