My dream previz tool

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic121684.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By kosir.milan - 12 Years Ago
iClone is close to the dream previz tool and is definitely number one currently on the market, so I will take my shot to summarize points where I would improve it if I could - to make it really the best previz tool ever:

1. GUI: the weakest point of iClone imho. Gui is clumsy and ancient, pretty unusable. So:
--let me detach windows (content manager, scene manager, modify panel, mini viewport) to effectively use two monitors
--let me create more than one (detachable/re-sizable) mini viewports, so I can see different cameras at the same time
--let me see camera switch in mini viewport
--let me assign my own keyboard shortcut to any gui command

2. TIMELINE: second weak point, far from perfection. Usable only for basic timeline operations. So:
--let me edit timeline curves like any normal 3d software
--let me select multiple frames / multiple objects on timeline and shift them together
--let me create dopesheet, let me use story tool, like MotionBuilder
--let me clean timeline from too many keyframes

3. SCRIPTING: good scripting tool would skyrocket iClone productivity. So:
--let me record any gui command (like max, maya, etc) and let me use this in my script (this would already release my work from million mouse clicks)
--let me write simple scripts, so I could use props, actors, etc. the way I want. Imagine: to establish or rearrange scene with many props, actors, effects, cameras, etc. would take one mouse click!
--please let me record repeatable tasks in scripts !

4. CONTENT MANAGEMENT: iClone is pretty good in this with drag'n'drop support and all, but I see room for improvements:
--let me create my own groups of props and other stuff
--let me save this groups (cameras, paths, props, etc) so I can merge them all into existing/another scene
--let me specify file paths - at least for custom folders (C:\Users\Public\Documents\Reallusion\Custom\...) so I can use some other drive for content and I can make project based content management

5. CONTROLLERS: this is my biggest extra wish !!!
--let me control the camera with game controller, joystick, 3d mouse,... Otherwise camera is too artificial, it is impossible to make good camera work without this !
--let me record this camera animation and let me edit timeline curves...
--Please take a look at "Craft Director Studio" Camera Tools for some inspiration.

*****SOME OTHER IDEAS *****

6. PREVIZ TOOLS: I want to use iClone for the serious previz job. So:
--let me create scene blueprint (orthographic view like a floor plan) with dimensions/measures
--let me print this blueprint with camera properties (angle, focal length, position) and any other scene information I want to be included
--let me add simple notes to blueprints, so director can write down some additional notes...

By animatom - 12 Years Ago
As long time MotionBuilder user, I couldn't agree more with everything you said.
What you basically described is a border line between great advanced animation hobby tool, what iClone is, and serious real time animation software iClone could become.
I really hope it will.
There is some signs - at least I think I see them - that it will.
Smile
By bluemidget666 - 12 Years Ago
1. GUI: the weakest point of iClone imho. Gui is clumsy and ancient, pretty unusable. So:
--let me detach windows (content manager, scene manager, modify panel, mini viewport) to effectively use two monitors

Yes I need this Wink

By animagic - 12 Years Ago
bluemidget666 (5/3/2012)

Yes I need this Wink

As long as it is an option; I'm fine with the GUI compared to some others.

I also don't want changes that mess up the current workflow too much, sorry.

By pmaina - 12 Years Ago
Having had a look at DAZ, I now realize now how iClone's GUI is intuitive for newbies. Great job RL UI design team!

I too am generally happy with the GUI as I can do everything I need with only minor headaches so am not too keen to experiment.

Nevertheless some minor GUI enhancements the PIP screen would go a long way...

I have found myself wishing for the ability to use 2 screens with iClone.

One preview window is enough in my opinion though.

The PIP window is too tiny - even for my 32 inch screen. If we could have the option to undock and drag it to another screen altgether when using extended desktop... 

By Peter (RL) - 12 Years Ago
Thank you for all the great feedback and suggestions. Smile

These will be reviewed by the iClone development team.

@Peter (RL)
Thanks !!! Hopefully any of my suggestions will find place in your future development.

@pmaina
I agree, iClone GUI is very intuitive for beginners, and that's it. If you want something more, there is nothing you can do. Look for example Maya (which is industry standard and probably the most popular 3d software in the world) GUI which was rewritten with QT (most popular UI framework today and "de facto" industry standard) few years ago. Someone who is accustomed to old Maya GUI, does not have to change habits, but new GUI offer so much flexibility for someone who want to use two monitors or make his own layout...
That's something I must say:
http://www.hollywoodcamerawork.us/sd_index.html
Please look at "Roadmap" section - Per Holmes is going to do 3d (!!!) Why don't you contact him?
We all learn how to do film art from his great work...
By AverageJoe - 12 Years Ago
Wait, wha...? Newbie friendly interface? Current iClone? Really?

I remember being a newbie and trying to learn iClone, but it's GUI was so completely out of the norm of other windows applications, it was very difficult to learn. And is to this day difficult to use. It is very strict and rigid in it's current incarnation. Palettes and tools bars need to be able to dock/undock, resize, re-arrange. The text fields should allow tabbing between them, scrollbars shouldn't be tiny and barely grabbable. You should be able to copy & paste. Group and Ungroup. (Some of these are possible, such as grouping, but it's not as easy as selecting and hitting Ctrl+G, and seeing in the scene manager the group... you have to link and attach using the panels.) How about Ctrl+S to save your project, Ctrl+N for a new scene. At the very least, a menubar with every function and capability found somewhere within... File Edit Camera Animation Help (or something similiar) These are just a few things "newbies" expect in a program. It is doubtful iClone will be their very first program, they will have experienced others, more normalized GUIs, and will expect a certain user experience. iClone is in serious need of a GUI overhaul.

EDIT Begin
Actually Ctrl+S is in there, but it's Save As instead of just Save, and Ctrl+N is there as well for a new scene, but either way, there still needs to be a more "standard" GUI
EDIT End

Don't even get me started on the content manager... Its capabilities for organization and grouping is non-existant, except at a directory level. The built in content listing is unwieldy, redundant, and so very static. It's in serious need of being included in the GUI overhaul.
By animagic - 12 Years Ago
It seems that most 3D applications have their own ideas about the GUI, so in that area there is not really a standard to adhere to. I never understood Truespace and Bryce, for example. Among the lot, iClone isn't so bad, but improvements are always possible. It's also personal: some people love GIMP; I don't like the GUI at all. But I do think that DAZ 4 is an improvement over DAZ 3.

What I do hate is when an existing interface is completely overhauled, as MS did with Office. It really slows you down.

By Peter (RL) - 12 Years Ago
Thank you for the feedback. We appreciate you sharing your views on the GUI. This will be reviewed by the iClone team. Hopefully we can improve things in the next version. Smile
By kosir.milan - 9 Years Ago
Hi, guys,

I just noticed that iCLone6 is out (I have not used iClone recent years) and I'm quite happy to see many changes which I proposed... You guys really do an amazing work. Wish you good luck with new version. As I currently don't intend to upgrade, just want to know if there is any news regarding my wish for: 5. CONTROLLERS:
--let me control the camera with game controller, joystick, 3d mouse,...

Is currently (iClone6) possible to use external controller for camera movement?

Thanks in advance for any reply!

Best regards,
Milan