iClone New Patch 5.02 & Mocap Development Plan

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic101932.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Bruce (RL) - 13 Years Ago

Dear iCloners

We here at Reallusion would like to thank you all for your extremely helpful and constructive feedback regarding iClone 5, especially with the Kinect Mocap. In undertaking the development of personal motion capture for your home or professional studio, Reallusion have now become pioneers at the forefront of real-time animation. We are dedicated to bringing forth the best possible product for our valued users, and will continue to strive toward continually improving the iClone experience.

iClone5 Mocap Enhancement

Reallusion is dedicated to improving and refining the motion capture experience within iClone, and in doing so are presently testing and developing future patches for improved usability and functionality. These patches will implement a host of improvements to the Mocap as well as other vital iClone features and tools. We would like to announce at the present time that we will be releasing the first iClone 5 patch (v5.02) in this month. In appreciation for your feedback from the forum, this time around we have specially developed a pre-release patch available only to forum users for an early look at what it has to offer. This patch will include the lock options for knee and foot to avoid unnatural foot flipping during Mocap (especially for projects without the requirement of heavy legs movement), as well as more precise head movement.

Download iClone 5.02 Pre-released Version
http://c3340667.r67.cf0.rackcdn.com/iClone502PRO_Patch_Enu.exe
(You can upgrade to the official 5.02 version by directly installing the final patch then)

iClone5 Kinect & Microsoft SDK (Beta)

The other exciting news is that Reallusion has officially become a Kinect TAP partner and currently developing the Mocap capabilities further via the Microsoft Kinect SDK, and will release the iClone 5.1 patch, which represents the culmination of these efforts, by the end of this year. The Microsoft Kinect SDK is an essential part of our Mocap development, and will provide improved motion stability, along with the ability to recognize end-point animation for body parts such as wrists, backbone, head, hips, and feet. We are also considering some abilities of device mocap to start/stop your motion capture with audio or motion commands, mirror capture, noise deduction, as well as other great features such as floor detection and auto-motor calibration.

3DXchange5 & Motion Pipeline

Last but certainly not least, we are looking to release the next version of our quintessential format conversion tool 3DXchange 5 in Q1 of 2012. One of the most significant features of the next version of 3DXchange will be the capability to bring in any bi-ped human character from other software and export that same character complete with embedded motions to other animation tools. This means that we will be providing a characterization panel to synchronize any character bone structure with those of iClone characters. This next version will also include the ability to export FBX and BVH format files, meaning that you will be able to bring your own unique motion editing to other 3D tools. This will open up a whole new world for iClone, and provide more animation freedom to users from the entire 3D animation community. We’re looking forward to it, and we hope you are too!

Best

Reallusion, Inc.

By sharad.inc - 13 Years Ago
Yay! This is ROCK SOLID news! Thanks Reallusion. We look forward to all these developments ! Smile
By tylerzambori - 13 Years Ago
YAY! So I take it I will be able to use DAZ figures as
human characters in Iclone!

This is good news!
By sharad.inc - 13 Years Ago
"characterization panel to synchronize any character bone structure with those of iClone characters" - I am not sure if this includes facial bones too?

Also, the BVH motion interchange would let us import the facial animation mocap (BVH) output from other software (like Zend) and use them in iClone5 after applying the BVH conversion in 3DExchange5 ?
By Peter.n - 13 Years Ago
This shoud be a great Christmas Gift
By bluemidget666 - 13 Years Ago
Wow .... the future for Iclone is gona be something to watch .I can see a large jump in Iclone users as game makers start using it to create motions for their game characters... Awsome !

Plus Thank you for listening......
By wires - 13 Years Ago
Has anyone downloaded this pre-release patch?

I keep getting a "HTTP 404 Not Found" error.w00t

By action_2009 - 13 Years Ago
Hi

I have a question about the new 3DXChange5

Is it still kompatiebel with iClone4?

action_2009
By Visconti - 13 Years Ago
Hi, Wires

We just updated the server.
The download link should be available now.

Sorry for the temp error
Visconti
By wires - 13 Years Ago
Many thanks Visconti.

Is there a list of changes available anywhere for this pre-release?

By doubledutch - 13 Years Ago
Thank you!
And please make a project save option in 3DXchange.
So we can work in parts on a project.
By Visconti - 13 Years Ago
Here is the version update list (the complete features will be available in the final 5.02 patch)

. Added; Device Mocap - Add "Constrain knee rotation" option to avoid foot flipping
. Fixed; Device Mocap – Fix incorrect head movement
. Fixed; Not be able to download content from Reallusion City under certain conditions
. Fixed; Cannot reload the avatar after the teeth is modified
. Enhanced; Update “Wo” lips map for better Lip-sync
By sal of salmar productions - 13 Years Ago
Thank-you.
By mark - 13 Years Ago
This is super-huge news!!! Wow, THANKSWinkWink

Keep it coming BigGrinBigGrinBigGrin
By Galfridus - 13 Years Ago
Thank you Bruce for sharing a few sections of path on the Iclone Road map in your opening post on this thread. How refreshingly open you were about the direction of some of the current work being undertaken. In the past I have often felt disappointed and under-valued as a customer by being left in the dark about such things... like an inquisitive child shut out with a "wait and see" response.

Whilst understanding the limits to public reporting by a competitive business, your glimpse into on going Iclone developments was most interesting and much appreciated by this user. Smile

Geoff.

By kvpictures1 - 13 Years Ago
It is great to see some much needed fixes being done, particularly with mocap.

Something I am very interested to find out is since you guys are now going to be using the microsoft SDK which will enable much more mocap features will they come as an update patch for the plugin/iclone or will that be implemented in a whole new version? Personally I hope for the update patch since it should give us the usability of the plugin we have been hungering forSmile
By moviemachine - 13 Years Ago
Thanks RL for all your hard work in bringing forth Patches so quickly since IC5's release.
A very bright future for MOCAP! Smile
By Teviniii - 13 Years Ago
Great updates!

Everyday I am amazed at iClone 5 and I'm just starting to scratch its surface. When I hear posters talk almost exclusively about what it can't do yet, I just shake my head with bewilderment because IT CAN DO SO MUCH. Some things that can't be accomplished with one button can be accomplished with three or four.

..and yes, sometimes it might take 50-plus buttons before you achieve your visual goal - but in the end, you've made a hat where there never was a hat.
By CallNeg151 - 13 Years Ago
Thanks, Reallusion, for listening to all of us (sometimes rather gruff and disgruntled) users, and moving so quickly to implement some of the simpler solutions. I can't wait to play around with this. If I can render a scene with simple walking without using many takes and editing to eliminate the crazy legs, the update has made the mocap plugin truly usable to me. The future updates sound like they may make it indispensable.
By yaRincewind - 13 Years Ago
These are really cool news I think.
The MS SDK seems to be the better choice for sceleton tracking. And of course motor drivers and sound. Despite that, perhaps some facial movement might be possible in the future. Who knows?

Anyway, although the plugin is not perfect, who would have thought about it two years ago? Or even one year ago? The way is perfectly right.
By moogaloonie - 13 Years Ago
Bruce (RL) (11/8/2011)

Last but certainly not least, we are looking to release the next version of our quintessential format conversion tool 3DXchange 5 in Q1 of 2012. One of the most significant features of the next version of 3DXchange will be the capability to bring in any bi-ped human character from other software and export that same character complete with embedded motions to other animation tools. This means that we will be providing a characterization panel to synchronize any character bone structure with those of iClone characters. This next version will also include the ability to export FBX and BVH format files, meaning that you will be able to bring your own unique motion editing to other 3D tools. This will open up a whole new world for iClone, and provide more animation freedom to users from the entire 3D animation community. We’re looking forward to it, and we hope you are too!

Best

Reallusion, Inc.

Just to clear, will this make it easier to get figures into iClone also? The real time rendering, director mode, etc. are the main reasons I bought it.

And please let us set up springs etc. without needing Max!
Dumn question- but is this patch working for everybody? iClone fires up, and everything seems to work, as soon as I go to Animate, choose motion capture, and attempt to connect to the mocapp plugin, iClone crashes for me. It was working just prior to installing the patch.

I'm running, sadly, on Vista 64 bit.

Edit: Update- If I don't capture the H Pose it won't connect, as expected, however will crash as soon as the H Pose is captured. Well, poop. It worked right before I installed the patch. Uninstalling and reinstalling the plugin doesn't fix it, nor does re-installing the patch.

Any suggestions or experiences anyone has had would be appreciated.
By Edward (RL) - 13 Years Ago
Hi, CallNeg151,

Uncompressed the attached file and update to your template folder

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Reallusion\Template\iClone 5 Template\iClone Template\DeviceMocap\
W7&Vista: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Reallusion\Template\iClone 5 Template\iClone Template\Motion

It should works well.

Edward
Thanks, edward. You are full of awesome sauce. That worked like a charm. I now have a world full of slightly stilted, but non-crazy leg motion. Yay!!!
By Dreamcube017 - 13 Years Ago
Holy bacon fries!!

That new 3DX5 sounds LEGIT!!! We can EXPORT FBX??

So this basically means that I can bring in a custom character, match it to iClone bones, animate it in iClone with all the motions and mixmoves and all that good animation stuff, then export it back out to use in something else?

That is WONDERFUL!!!!!

Thanks RL!

Anything to do with cloth physics in there somewhere?... maybe something to do with that Alt+Shift+C or Alt+Shift+E or whatever the other one is?
By JasonWynngard - 13 Years Ago
Great news indeed. One request, please make it possible for motion capture to be longer than five seconds. 1-2 minutes at least.
By JasonWynngard - 13 Years Ago
CallNeg151 (11/8/2011)
Dumn question- but is this patch working for everybody? iClone fires up, and everything seems to work, as soon as I go to Animate, choose motion capture, and attempt to connect to the mocapp plugin, iClone crashes for me. It was working just prior to installing the patch.

I'm running, sadly, on Vista 64 bit.

Edit: Update- If I don't capture the H Pose it won't connect, as expected, however will crash as soon as the H Pose is captured. Well, poop. It worked right before I installed the patch. Uninstalling and reinstalling the plugin doesn't fix it, nor does re-installing the patch.

Any suggestions or experiences anyone has had would be appreciated.

I had this problem with Windows XP after a iC4 patch. Nothing I did solved it. Now, the odd thing was when I ran iC4 on my other laptop, not a whimper out of it. I removed iC4, shutdown the computer for a day. reinstalled iC4 and the problem just wouldn't go away. RL made suggestions, none of which worked. Since then, I got a new computer that has both iC4 and iC5 and neither is an issue. Why the crashes in the first place? I NEVER did figure that out and the old computer now stowed away was still crashing with iC4 last time I tried it months ago. Speculation? Some other software changed a setting somewhere or mucked the registry is my guess.
By yaRincewind - 13 Years Ago
Why the crashes in the first place? I NEVER did figure that out and the old computer now stowed away was still crashing with iC4 last time I tried it months ago. Speculation? Some other software changed a setting somewhere or mucked the registry is my guess.

It crashes as soon as you start it?
Do you see the grid?

Set your texture size to 256x256 and turn of pixel shading. If this works, you can go on Smile
By cookiekirwan - 13 Years Ago
Help!
Just downloaded the patch this morning. Found I couldn't use the E key to rotate. Restarted computer, can't open iClone, can't use Internet. Had to re-start in Safe mode to send this.
Do I have to re-install the entire program?
By Peter (RL) - 13 Years Ago
cookiekirwan (12/30/2011)
Help!
Just downloaded the patch this morning. Found I couldn't use the E key to rotate. Restarted computer, can't open iClone, can't use Internet. Had to re-start in Safe mode to send this.
Do I have to re-install the entire program?

Hi CookieKirwan

Most iClone users have already updated to 5.02 without any problems, so it sounds as though you have some computer issues here that are unrelated to the 5.02 update.

Patching your version of iClone would not cause you to lose internet or require you to use Safe mode. I would look for any error messages you receive when starting your computer as this may give a clue as to what is causing the problems.

By cookiekirwan - 13 Years Ago
I restarted two more times and finally everything is back to normal. I can even use the E key.

Thanks for replying and thanks ESPECIALLY for fixing the WOO lips!

By kankh - 12 Years Ago
 Can anyone answer this question directly: Will the new 3Dexchange 5 allow us to import and use DAZ/Poser biped human figures within Iclone 5 (including facial movments.) Or, is does it simply allow us to animate characters once imported, from the neck down, and then export to other programs. Thats cool too, I'll pop it off in Cinema 4D and rock on.

Frankly, I think its time RL did away with Generation 5 characters and make way for more realistic character customization. Should be and option for those who prefer that look of character than the gen 5, cartoony look, and those willing to pay extra for it. That way Iclone 5 can stay kid friendly with the Generation version of characters, while allowing the rest of us who want to import a more advance version of character customization who are not doing kid animations, but trying to make actual movies worthy of serious consideration for future productions. I mean why develope all the tools of a high end package for a better price, only to still be working with the same lackluster generation characters (my opinion) and not allow better ones in like DAZ that are compatible with the program in; or at the very least have some better way inside the program to customize the generation 5 characters whereby they can be morphed to look more like real people to some degree. RL should allow those of us who want to go further to do just that, import better characters and enviroments that work well with the program, including those of use who use Vue 10, even if we have to pay extra for that ability. Cleary Genectica makes textures on props, among other things... POP, adding a great level of realism, and RL had no problem marking that on their website. So clearly, the word "realism," is in their vocabulary. I'm just asking that it also be applied to characters as well, not just all the props. What good is all that realism in the enviroment, if the generation characters still look as though they don't quite fit in ICLONE, but better in 2D and in a CRAZY TAlK animation.

RL sells would go through the roof, if Iclone had that type of compatibilty with two of the leading programs on the market DAZ figures, ( everyone uses them...games, feature films, art, and so on to some degree, and Vue 10 or whatever version, terrain builder)for those who have these programs and striving for a bit more realism in their animations without any hangups or compatiblity issues. Iclone 5 is an amazing program, and the perfect pot to bring it all together, since almost everything you need is right there to get on with your project...except for allowing for better looking characters and terrains for those who want to go further with their animations than just the casual fooling around and making the next fart joke animated short.

By kankh - 12 Years Ago
Sorry double posted.
By funfunfun - 12 Years Ago
The two new G5 characters, Chuck and Gwynn, not to mention the Neighbors pack are more realistic than past generations. They don't look shabby at all. There may be slightly more realism in Victoria, etc., but they look pretty good. Remember that super realistic isn't always better...especially in Polar Express.

What I do think Reallusion could do, and you may have touched on, is have greater customization within the program (even if it bumps the price up a tad). If you look at Crazy Talk Animator, they have superior features to iClone. Features such as the Character Composer System need to be found in iClone as well. Seriously, you can't expect users to get Clone Cloth and then be running around opening up all kinds of folders just to begin dressing their characters. It's all too complicated. Have it be click and select like the Character Composer System.
By kankh - 12 Years Ago
    I agree the two new G5 characters do look better than previous Gen. characters, but they still fall way short in comparison to V4 and other DAZ characters I have seen in other high res games and animations who utilize them almost exclusively. In addition, Daz characters are not super realistic looking, (a animators choice of textures determines how realistic he wants a character to look, a personal choice. If he thinks it looks better for his project he or she should have that option in Iclone 5 in my opinion, just like props.) but Daz characters by far, look better than any characters I've seen produced by RL for Iclone thus far low res or high res.

From my understanding in reading this post, 3D exchange 5 allows you to import a biped character into the program and animate it and then export it out to another program. Okay, thats fantastic. But what about the Iclone 5 program we are using? Seems backasswards to me to import a character in to a program such as Iclone with all its capabilities as an animating tool, but you can't use that character fully within the program itself; but you can export it out to another program totally animated. Huh???? Most of us would like to use that better character we've created, somewhere else and 9/10 Daz or Poser, in Iclone 5, (or at least have that option). There are only a handful of people who will actually model a biped character from scratch before animating it these days. Most will buy it from Daz, morph it, change it, texture it to what they want and then move on to animate it. RL should go ahead and bridge that gap. Why let another program steal that animating thunder, when Iclone 5 has all the goods right inside the program to get the job done to make movies, and clearly we just used a portion of that power with 3DXchange 5 to animated the character in the first place to export it.

If RL want to open themselves up to the 3D community, then embracing total compatibility with DAZ characters and beyond, and E-on software the makers Vue 10, if possible, is the way to go like everyone else, in my opinion. As soon as someone does a complete animation with a V4 and M4 with all the trimmings in Iclone 5, Gen 5 characters will be homeless hanging out under bridges doing animated crack. Nobody will want to animate with them again, unless in a storyboard compacity, to set up shots or the newbies who are still learning but can't wait to use better characters they are  now seeing in movies on RL website. There is a massive amount of content for Daz characters and room for anyone with talent to make more clothes and props for them. Its endless. I'm Just saying.

By animagic - 12 Years Ago
@kankh: This is getting OT, but I had to respond. I for one am working on a movie using G5 characters and it's not a "kid movie". It takes some work but there is a lot you can do in iClone itself to customize your avatar. Personally, I would be scared if I encountered people in real life that looked like DAZ characters...