iRay broken with new CC3.3 update - dark red skin

Posted By mrtobycook 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
mrtobycook
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 hours ago
Is no-one else having this problem of bizarre renders in iRay, with the default Caleb character and default lighting?

I've updated to the latest version of everything, including iRay. (Also have posted feedback tracker and asked support, but no reply so far).

Anyone found a way to fix this?

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/be1e2114-ef57-4b00-b5fa-61ee.png

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d11fc97b-7387-4f19-bb1e-0785.png
virtualfilmer.com | youtube

4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Yes, it is broken. But not only that. I have started quick testing here: https://forum.reallusion.com/453354/RE-Iray-Preview-color-too-warm#bm453399
But there is lot more to it. I do not think Iray was thoroughly tested as most attention was paid to SkinGen.

1. Iray skin material does not translate DHS and defaults to PBR.
But if you switch to PBR in CC (and in iClone I suppose as well), the Roughness map is too dark causing that oily skin renders.
So I did compensate by tweaking Iray Multipliers for Head, Body, Arms and Legs:

Pay attention to the Multipliers Listing Order - It has tendency to change

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/00e1768a-3d8b-435c-b6a1-955e.jpg

So basically every other avatar would require this change in variouse degree - default Skin-PBR mdl material is not optimized.

2. There is something wrong with Cornea material in Iray.
It causes white circles at the corners. Or possibly eye and cornea mesh are too close to each other causing a z-fight

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/364f0a91-6d12-42bb-8929-904a.jpg

3. White Balance is not kept.
I do not think it was ever right, but n this version it worse (It comments a lot with your screen calibration though).
I have enclosed Tonemapper .json file to compensate that. You might need to tweak it further for particular project.

Here is a Caleb render after tweaking Skin and Tonemapper:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9ceada6e-1774-4dda-b419-2b2c.jpg

I did not do anything with lights. There is a lot of them.

4. And lights are a mess too.
Trying to turn them ON and OFF in Scene Manager and in Iray eventually causes wrong light to be turned ON/OF and a white rectangular shape to appear in Iray renders (which cannot be hidden any more).
Looks like indexing for lights with the same name is in disarray and more. I did not test further and left them alone.

Attachments
Tonmapper_Caleb.zip (80 views, 369 bytes)
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Try this tone-mapper preset.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/a616fe4b-237e-4858-9fff-077c.jpg
mrtobycook
mrtobycook
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)

Thanks Rampa! So glad it’s not just me Smile)

4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

And the fix for eyes, is to copy black Metallic map and paste to Displacement slot. Then set the Displacement Strength to 1.
This is for both Std_Eye_R and Std_Eye_L materials

t1ber1us1
t1ber1us1
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (566 reputation)Veteran Member (566 reputation)Veteran Member (566 reputation)Veteran Member (566 reputation)Veteran Member (566 reputation)Veteran Member (566 reputation)Veteran Member (566 reputation)Veteran Member (566 reputation)Veteran Member (566 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
The lights messing up... now it makes sense as to why I was getting confused as to how the lighting was working. Reallusion has some work in front of them to get Iray running properly. It seemed pretty good right before the 3.3 update, but now (and I don't have a lot of practice with it) it seems several things are not working properly.
rewinged28
rewinged28
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (195 reputation)Junior Member (195 reputation)Junior Member (195 reputation)Junior Member (195 reputation)Junior Member (195 reputation)Junior Member (195 reputation)Junior Member (195 reputation)Junior Member (195 reputation)Junior Member (195 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Ah great, thought I was doing something wrong. I hope this is fixed quickly. I was trying iRay trial and the characters always looked a lot darker and more saturated. I'll wait for a dev response before I consider purchasing it I suppose!
Edited
4 Years Ago by rewinged28
Marty3DGuru
Marty3DGuru
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (507 reputation)Veteran Member (507 reputation)Veteran Member (507 reputation)Veteran Member (507 reputation)Veteran Member (507 reputation)Veteran Member (507 reputation)Veteran Member (507 reputation)Veteran Member (507 reputation)Veteran Member (507 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Like all render engines, they all different. You need to tweak settings to get your balance, can't really expect it to be exact from one engine to another.

If it's overly red, then it's most likely the SSS that would need adjusting or mess with the base map multipliers.

I know it's playing around with settings and tweaking but such is the 3D life, in any program. I say nothing is broken to be honest, just make some tweaks. I did an IRAY render today, just made a few tweaks and it was totally fine.
mrtobycook
mrtobycook
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Marty, with all due respect, iRay was built so that its results match what you see in the viewport - except better. It's worked well for me in the past.

This new update screws it up.

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
Thank you for the feedback regarding Iray. The issue is being investigated and when I know more I will update again.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Reading This Topic