Profile Picture

Transferring many morphs to iclone

Posted By ryobg 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
ryobg
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (246 reputation)Junior Member (246 reputation)Junior Member (246 reputation)Junior Member (246 reputation)Junior Member (246 reputation)Junior Member (246 reputation)Junior Member (246 reputation)Junior Member (246 reputation)Junior Member (246 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hi all,

I want to animate morphs with iclone and for that purpose I tried once before to export an iavatar from cc3 with one morph applied and then transfer the basic figure to iclone. Then with the Morph creator & animator do my job.

My trouble is that I now want to use much more morphs for the actual project, but it appears that the exported iavatar just merges all morphs slider into one? Somehow I believe there should be more convenient workflow for this, any ideas?

Thank you very much and happy holidays!
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Indeed, morphs management needs some attention.

Currently, morphs management is scattered across 3 applications: 3DXchange, Character Creator and iClone itself with its Morph Creator/Animator, yet it is often unclear especially for beginners where exactly you handle animation morphs vs modeling/shaping morphs.

One fundamental thing to understand is that CC3 morphs are not part of any Avatar, they are part of CC3 itself and you don't export those morphs, you simply export the resulting Avatars "shaped" with those morphs. You can't choose a list of morphs to be exported and to be automatically recognized by the iClone Morph Creator (or directly recognized when importing the Avatar into iClone). And the only way to export morphs for animation is what you did, by exporting baked morphs, one by one, and importing back those morphs, one by one with iClone Morph Creator (unless I've missed something).

Now, for animation, there is that "Edit Facial" panel in the CC3 Motion tab, the same one called "Face Key" in iClone (perhaps both should be named the same for consistency..) but they do not allow to choose which morph to use for each expression "slot". You can only do that in 3DXchange. I think it would be better to now have this feature in CC itself, perhaps it is planed for CC4 or a future upgrade to CC3, who knows.

According to the manual, through the Transformer tool we should be able to Import Daz3D Assets with Morph Data, but this seems only to work for parts, not for body/head morphs unfortunately (at least here). When you try to do that and then "Edit in 3DXchange" your Avatar, you can see the that the morphs originally in the Daz3d file have been overridden by the facial CC3 expression morphs. If you just use 3DXchange to import a Daz3D Figure, then Daz3d morphs are imported and you can use those to manually set the Facial Expressions with those in the Expressions Editor (but then you get a Daz3d topology in iClone (a non-standard character), not editable/compatible in CC3).

If you import a Prop with Daz3d morphs, things are a bit better, once the Prop has been imported through 3DXchange, then when you load the Prop into iClone and Morph Creator, the embedded morphs will be automatically recognized and appear as morph sliders you can then use with the "Morph Animator". Unfortunately, I've been unable to get this behavior from Avatars, only from Props.

--
guy rabiller | GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
"N.O.E." (Nations Of Earth) Sci-Fi TV Show, Showrunner.

Edited
5 Years Ago by GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
Am7add9
Am7add9
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago

you need to export a avatar for each morph you want
for use in the morph creator, multiple morphs on one avatar will not work
this works for non CC as well

example:
base mesh to iclone
any modified morph target meshes to desktop
open morph creator and import each modded avatar
( i have a few with 50+ morphs and can add to them anytime)
if you have major morphing of bodyparts (like hulking out)
it will cause problems but can be done with a little brain power.
stick to head only morphs

Edited
5 Years Ago by aeolian

Reading This Topic