Let the Debate Begin

Posted By Illustrator Cathy 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Illustrator Cathy
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago
So this came-up during our 48hour Film Project Wrap Lovefest -

Given the breakthroughs with iC5 - Real Physics, Cel Shading, etc. How long will it be until iClone is no longer considered machinima?

Will it happen?

Won't it happen?

What do you think?

-Cathy Hehe

Just click on the graphic to go there.

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
I don't like the word machinima very much. I think that as long as it has a real-time engine, and a bunch of preset moves (like a game) then it is technically machinima. I almost left out the latter but threw it in because "Avatar" was shot with a "real-time engine" of sorts if I recall.

The more we humans are involved, the less it is machinima. I consider iClone, Moviestorm, and Muvizu to not be machinima as they are purpose built for us humans to use to create something new. "New" meaning the end product is greater than the sum of the parts, even if the animations are "canned".
tyler zambori
tyler zambori
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (533 reputation)Veteran Member (533 reputation)Veteran Member (533 reputation)Veteran Member (533 reputation)Veteran Member (533 reputation)Veteran Member (533 reputation)Veteran Member (533 reputation)Veteran Member (533 reputation)Veteran Member (533 reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
All I know is, If I manage to make a movie with Iclone,
I won't be calling it machinima.
wendyluvscatz
wendyluvscatz
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Senior Forum Member

Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Machinima to me suggests using a game to make a video story, not what iClone is and does.
Something like Garry's mod to bring on props and a game with your own dialogue script and using the game motions or imported ones to make your actors act is machinima.
IClone is an animation studio.
The standard version I have is considerably more limited than my other animation studios, albeit easier to use, but nonetheless, with extra monetary investment on my behalf it would indeed tick most the boxes to qualify it for that term.

bluemidget666
bluemidget666
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.8K reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Easy .... when the avatars do not look like they came from a game ....or move like they came from a game...

I Make My Mates Do The CanCan For The Amusement Of Killer RobotsBigGrin
animagic
animagic
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
Or your story is so good that people forget that the characters look or move like they come from a game...  Incidently, it seems that game looks and moves get better all the time.

I'll probably do my next movie in iClone 5, so we'll see. Personally, I'm have never been too concerned with the Machinima label; I simply ignore it. What else can you do? People will find something to complain about...

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
13 Years Ago by animagic
colour
colour
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I can't even say the word, without my false teeth falling-outErmm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REALLUSION FORUM ANNUAL PINHEAD COMMUNITY PROJECTS.

New Pinhead Website & Project to be announced in September 2015

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anonymous
Anonymous
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)

Group: [0]
Last Active: -
animagic (9/20/2011)
Or your story is so good that people forget that the characters look or move like they come from a game...  Incidently, it seems that game looks and moves get better all the time.

I'll probably do my next movie in iClone 5, so we'll see. Personally, I'm have never been too concerned with the Machinima label; I simply ignore it. What else can you do? People will find something to complain about...

Yes , call it what you want. I'm only intersted in results, not what other people think.

Cheers,

René

DELETED2
DELETED2
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Well, we still go to "The Movies."
And when cleaning the floor after one of my 7 dogs has decided to raid the biscuit barrel I use "The Hoover" even though it's an electrolux.
Machinema surely makes reference to using a Machine instead of a Cinema using a Cine Camera.

Makes perfect sense to me!!!Hehe

Armstrong.

DELETED2
DELETED2
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.2K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Further thoughts on Grammatics of modern Digital Output:-

Cinema
Machinema

Cinematography
Machinematography
OR
Digitography?

Cinematographer
Machinematographer
OR